Jump to content


Tough Decision W/ Bottom Set


  • Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#21 bbgun

bbgun

    Poker Forum Veteran

  • Members
  • 3,012 posts
  • Location:Florida

Posted 14 August 2011 - 03:34 PM

View PostNinja Ace, on Thursday, August 11th, 2011, 4:55 PM, said:

is this another one of those hands where people pretend they can fold flopped sets?
I wish I was pretending...not fun folding a $1K winner.
bbgun5310 - FT
bbgun5310 - Stars

#22 DiamondDixie

DiamondDixie

    Poker Forum Groupie

  • Members
  • 920 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Chillin' in Meereen
  • Interests:Poker
  • Favorite Poker Game:Hearthstone :)

Posted 14 August 2011 - 06:36 PM

Personally I can't imagine folding here, there is too much he can have that you beat but I'm stubborn like that.

#23 trystero

trystero

    Poker Forum Veteran

  • Members
  • 3,780 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 06:45 PM

View PostDiamondDixie, on Sunday, August 14th, 2011, 10:36 PM, said:

Personally I can't imagine folding here, there is too much he can have that you beat but I'm stubborn like that.
other than exactly AcKc, which I don't think he has all that often, I have no idea what else he has that we beat

#24 CobaltBlue

CobaltBlue

    The Outlier

  • Members
  • 10,364 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Royal Palm Beach, FL
  • Favorite Poker Game:Hold 'Em, Crazy Pineapple, 2-7 TD

Posted 14 August 2011 - 07:30 PM

View Posttrystero, on Sunday, August 14th, 2011, 10:45 PM, said:

other than exactly AcKc, which I don't think he has all that often, I have no idea what else he has that we beat
AcQc and KcQc maybe. Perhaps even Jc9c/Tc9c.

#25 DiamondDixie

DiamondDixie

    Poker Forum Groupie

  • Members
  • 920 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Chillin' in Meereen
  • Interests:Poker
  • Favorite Poker Game:Hearthstone :)

Posted 14 August 2011 - 10:51 PM

I can see him doing it with any AQ combo and the other hands Colbalt mentions. Yeah as played, pre-flop he could have QQ here and even 88 but there are enough hands he can have that are beaten here to make a call reasonably profitable. Like I said I'm stubborn but honestly I've played 100s of thousands of hands online and live (mostly online) and I have to say I rarely get beaten by set over set. If he has a club draw we stand 36% or so chance of losing if he hits his draw but a 64% chance of winning. While I can understand a fold and certainly don't think it was bad, I still think calling will be profitable enough here to make a call okay. If I'm wrong I stand corrected.

#26 CobaltBlue

CobaltBlue

    The Outlier

  • Members
  • 10,364 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Royal Palm Beach, FL
  • Favorite Poker Game:Hold 'Em, Crazy Pineapple, 2-7 TD

Posted 14 August 2011 - 11:00 PM

View PostDiamondDixie, on Monday, August 15th, 2011, 2:51 AM, said:

I can see him doing it with any AQ combo and the other hands Colbalt mentions. Yeah as played, pre-flop he could have QQ here and even 88 but there are enough hands he can have that are beaten here to make a call reasonably profitable. Like I said I'm stubborn but honestly I've played 100s of thousands of hands online and live (mostly online) and I have to say I rarely get beaten by set over set.
Just one 'l', please. :club: In ~500 hours of live poker, I believe I've been oversetted 4 times. I did win one though...and no, I didn't make quads or a flush...I got the guy to fold.

#27 bbgun

bbgun

    Poker Forum Veteran

  • Members
  • 3,012 posts
  • Location:Florida

Posted 15 August 2011 - 06:14 AM

View PostDiamondDixie, on Monday, August 15th, 2011, 1:51 AM, said:

I can see him doing it with any AQ combo and the other hands Colbalt mentions. Yeah as played, pre-flop he could have QQ here and even 88 but there are enough hands he can have that are beaten here to make a call reasonably profitable. Like I said I'm stubborn but honestly I've played 100s of thousands of hands online and live (mostly online) and I have to say I rarely get beaten by set over set. If he has a club draw we stand 36% or so chance of losing if he hits his draw but a 64% chance of winning. While I can understand a fold and certainly don't think it was bad, I still think calling will be profitable enough here to make a call okay. If I'm wrong I stand corrected.
I don't think he ever shoves 200+bb w AQo.
bbgun5310 - FT
bbgun5310 - Stars

#28 TrueAce13

TrueAce13

    FCP Resident Donk

  • Members
  • 4,853 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ohio
  • Favorite Poker Game:PLO NLHE

Posted 15 August 2011 - 09:44 AM

the thing is, if utg villain is a good player then has range is going to be widened to more combo draws (all broadway clubs, and t9cc). I feel that if it was a weaker player, and he played it like this, I love the fold b/c his range is prolly 2 hands (QQ or 88). and again, we have a set and those usually win!
Pokerstars: TrueAce13 (Willard)
FT: TrueAce13
My First Poker Blog, please read and help me get better!

#29 donk4life

donk4life

    Poker Forum Veteran

  • Members
  • 9,215 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 15 August 2011 - 11:47 AM

I didn't know you could play live online.

View Postakashenk, on 02 August 2012 - 06:44 AM, said:

I don't mind folding out hands we beat.

#30 DiamondDixie

DiamondDixie

    Poker Forum Groupie

  • Members
  • 920 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Chillin' in Meereen
  • Interests:Poker
  • Favorite Poker Game:Hearthstone :)

Posted 15 August 2011 - 02:46 PM

View PostDiamondDixie, on Monday, August 15th, 2011, 2:51 AM, said:

thousands of hands online and live (mostly online)


#31 donk4life

donk4life

    Poker Forum Veteran

  • Members
  • 9,215 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 15 August 2011 - 08:20 PM

Oh. Okay.

View Postakashenk, on 02 August 2012 - 06:44 AM, said:

I don't mind folding out hands we beat.

#32 babylondonks

babylondonks

    I have had a perfectly wonderful evening

  • Members
  • 4,104 posts
  • Location:but this wasn't it.

Posted 15 August 2011 - 09:45 PM

I think we should fold pre. If I'm wrong I stand corrected.

#33 CobaltBlue

CobaltBlue

    The Outlier

  • Members
  • 10,364 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Royal Palm Beach, FL
  • Favorite Poker Game:Hold 'Em, Crazy Pineapple, 2-7 TD

Posted 16 August 2011 - 05:42 AM

View Postbabylondonks, on Tuesday, August 16th, 2011, 1:45 AM, said:

I think we should fold pre. If I'm wrong I stand corrected.
Only reason I'd fold pre is if a shorter stack behind is super likely to jam and then the EP isolates.

#34 babylondonks

babylondonks

    I have had a perfectly wonderful evening

  • Members
  • 4,104 posts
  • Location:but this wasn't it.

Posted 16 August 2011 - 07:42 AM

I stand corrected.

#35 Ninja Ace

Ninja Ace

    Don't fold anything to me and profit

  • Members
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 08:24 AM

View Postbbgun, on Sunday, August 14th, 2011, 3:34 PM, said:

I wish I was pretending...not fun folding a $1K winner.
Honestly, if you made yourself a rule that you never folded a set on the flop, you'd be extremely happy with your game long term and would never have regrets.Of course, with every rule there are "exceptions", but honestly, myself included, most players suck at finding the exceptions when they run across them.
Idiot Savant Extraordinaire


QUOTE (QED @ Monday, May 24th, 2010, 2:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just got slow rolled by some random with aces, time to take an automatic weapon to the nearest crowded public space.


QUOTE (BaseJester)
"Mixing it up" doesn't magically rationalize anything you do. It's like you walk up to a pencil sharpener, pencil in hand, and think, "Everyone expects me to sharpen this pencil, but I'm going to mix it up." Then you whip out your cock and sharpen that instead and yell, "Ha ha, bitches, you never saw that coming!" Well, no, they didn't. But you still have a dull pencil and bleeding dick.

#36 mtdesmoines

mtdesmoines

    Poker Forum Veteran

  • Members
  • 9,980 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 08:37 AM

View Postbbgun, on Monday, August 8th, 2011, 11:33 PM, said:

3. As played, can we find a fold here?

Somewhere Jimmy Carter is smiling because he knows that he is no longer the worst President of the modern era

#37 bbgun

bbgun

    Poker Forum Veteran

  • Members
  • 3,012 posts
  • Location:Florida

Posted 03 September 2011 - 07:27 AM

View Postmtdesmoines, on Thursday, August 25th, 2011, 11:37 AM, said:

Well played.
bbgun5310 - FT
bbgun5310 - Stars

#38 mtdesmoines

mtdesmoines

    Poker Forum Veteran

  • Members
  • 9,980 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 01:38 AM

View PostCobaltBlue, on Monday, August 15th, 2011, 2:00 AM, said:

Just one 'l', please. :club: In ~500 hours of live poker, I believe I've been oversetted 4 times. I did win one though...and no, I didn't make quads or a flush...I got the guy to fold.
I find this hard to believe, as many hands as you've played online that this hasn't happened more to you. I can't imagine I've played much more than you and I've been oversetted dozens and dozens of times.
Somewhere Jimmy Carter is smiling because he knows that he is no longer the worst President of the modern era

#39 CobaltBlue

CobaltBlue

    The Outlier

  • Members
  • 10,364 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Royal Palm Beach, FL
  • Favorite Poker Game:Hold 'Em, Crazy Pineapple, 2-7 TD

Posted 05 September 2011 - 05:05 AM

View Postmtdesmoines, on Monday, September 5th, 2011, 5:38 AM, said:

I find this hard to believe, as many hands as you've played online that this hasn't happened more to you. I can't imagine I've played much more than you and I've been oversetted dozens and dozens of times.
Oh, it's happened gobs and gobs online. I've played several million hands. I was just saying that it has happened like 4 times in probably 15k hands of live poker.

#40 CaneBrain

CaneBrain

    The chosen few....

  • Members
  • 14,896 posts
  • Location:The NFL Films Vault
  • Favorite Poker Game:5/10 NLHE (100 max buy in)

Posted 17 October 2011 - 01:19 PM

This happened in Florida.NEVER EVER EVER FOLD A FLOPPED SET IN A LIVE GAME IN FLORIDA.
"Give a little bit.....give a little bit of your chips to me...."




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users