#21 hblask

hblask

Perpetual slow learner

• Members
  • 9,860 posts
  • Interests:Just deal the cards already

Posted 10 July 2011 - 11:00 AM

View PostLongLiveYorke, on Sunday, July 10th, 2011, 9:37 AM, said:

Bob is very right.Obama has offered an excellent offer to congress. Republicans and Democrats should take it and, in doing so, simultaneously raise the debt ceiling (which is 100% necessary, anyone who tells you otherwise is wasting your time) and reduce the deficit.It'll be interesting and very telling to see how things play out. I think the next few week will have (or should have) a major effect on next year's election. They'll demonstrate in a very real way who in Washington is willing to get things done, to compromise, and to look forward to the future. And it'll show who has fallen so deep into their own fundamentalism that they would sacrifice the well-being of this country for symbolic points.
Anyone who makes a compromise in order to make a deal that doesn't address the long-term financial picture should be immediately impeached
"Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?" -- J. Coulton

#22 LongLiveYorke

LongLiveYorke

Ending the world one proton at a time

• Members
  • 8,356 posts
  • Interests:fizziks, teh maths, Raid-o-head, Rod Reynolds

Posted 10 July 2011 - 11:04 AM

View Posthblask, on Sunday, July 10th, 2011, 3:00 PM, said:

Anyone who makes a compromise in order to make a deal that doesn't address the long-term financial picture should be immediately impeached
No. People should try to achieve long term goals and use this opportunity as a chance to make things better. But if it's the night before the the debt limit is to be reached, anyone who refuses to accept a deal to raise the limit based should be impeached. It's too serious a thing to mess around with.

#23 hblask

hblask

Perpetual slow learner

• Members
  • 9,860 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 11:28 AM

View PostLongLiveYorke, on Sunday, July 10th, 2011, 1:04 PM, said:

No. People should try to achieve long term goals and use this opportunity as a chance to make things better. But if it's the night before the the debt limit is to be reached, anyone who refuses to accept a deal to raise the limit based should be impeached. It's too serious a thing to mess around with.
This is a can that cannot be kicked down the road any longer. The biggest problem is the entitlement programs. The entitlement programs are promises to people 20 or 30 years from now. Right now those promises are unsustainable. Anyone who is willing to keep making promises that they know will get broken later is too irresponsible to be in office. The time to fix the problem is now; anyone who is unwilling to do that is not fit to serve.
"Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?" -- J. Coulton

#24 CaneBrain

CaneBrain

The chosen few....

• Members
  • 14,896 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:5/10 NLHE (100 max buy in)

Posted 10 July 2011 - 12:01 PM

View Posthblask, on Sunday, July 10th, 2011, 2:59 PM, said:

I guess you didn't notice Obamacare.
I'm going to guess you didn't actually. I saw a party that controlled the White House and both houses of Congress go from "public option!!!" to "small tweaks to the current system." They compromised every step of the way. Just because you still did not enjoy the end result doesn't make something else true.
"Give a little bit.....give a little bit of your chips to me...."

#25 hblask

hblask

Perpetual slow learner

• Members
  • 9,860 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 12:25 PM

View PostCaneBrain, on Sunday, July 10th, 2011, 2:01 PM, said:

I'm going to guess you didn't actually. I saw a party that controlled the White House and both houses of Congress go from "public option!!!" to "small tweaks to the current system." They compromised every step of the way. Just because you still did not enjoy the end result doesn't make something else true.
The Dem leadership refused to meet with the Republicans to discuss ideas for most of the year. The bill was written in the form it passed before any Democratic leader met with any Republican leader. There was no compromise with Republicans; any changes were due to infighting among Democrats.

#26 Balloon guy

Balloon guy

Deplorable Lives Matter

• Members
  • 24,375 posts
  • Interests:Cigars, Flying, Golf, Bible
  • Favorite Poker Game:Golf

Posted 10 July 2011 - 01:03 PM

Sure sounds like the democrats will only be judged by their motives, not their results.The republicans will be blamed for not 'keeping government small' Again.FYI, I am all for hedge fund managers being required to count their income as income, not as capital gain. Especially George Soros.
I use my cigar smoke as idiot repellent

The government was set to protect man from criminals - and the Constitution was written to protect man from the government. - Ayn Rand

#27 brvheart

brvheart

I'm the best.

• Members
  • 25,272 posts
  • Interests:Playing in nuclear fallout.
  • Favorite Poker Game:I play 100/200 live with my best friend Jason.

Posted 10 July 2011 - 08:08 PM

View PostLongLiveYorke, on Sunday, July 10th, 2011, 10:37 AM, said:

Bob is very right.Obama has offered an excellent offer to congress. Republicans and Democrats should take it and, in doing so, simultaneously raise the debt ceiling (which is 100% necessary, anyone who tells you otherwise is wasting your time) and reduce the deficit.It'll be interesting and very telling to see how things play out. I think the next few week will have (or should have) a major effect on next year's election. They'll demonstrate in a very real way who in Washington is willing to get things done, to compromise, and to look forward to the future. And it'll show who has fallen so deep into their own fundamentalism that they would sacrifice the well-being of this country for symbolic points.
You and I think very very differently about this topic, and just so you know, the far majority of the voting Republican block heavily disagrees with you. If the Republicans "compromise" their major beliefs then they are done next election.

View PostiZuma, on 20 August 2012 - 11:32 AM, said:

napa I was jesus christing suited, you guys just slipped in before me.

View PostEssay21, on 25 February 2013 - 08:32 PM, said:

#28 mrdannyg

mrdannyg

Cheese Salesman

• Members
  • 20,246 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 09:02 AM

View Postbrvheart, on Monday, July 11th, 2011, 1:08 AM, said:

You and I think very very differently about this topic, and just so you know, the far majority of the voting Republican block heavily disagrees with you. If the Republicans "compromise" their major beliefs then they are done next election.
I know hblask is not a Republican, but how consistent would you consider Republican views from the ones he has espoused in this thread?
Long signatures are really annoying.

#29 All_In

All_In

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 1,202 posts
  • Interests:Poker, Golf, Poker, Guitar, Poker, etc...

Posted 11 July 2011 - 09:44 AM

View PostLongLiveYorke, on Sunday, July 10th, 2011, 12:04 PM, said:

unfortunately, most americans don't realize how serious this is. there should not even be a debate about it; raise the limit and get on with your other work. how people still side with the repubs boggles the mind. they are now proving that they do not care for the american good, only for their political gain. the US is still mired in a recession (18 thous. jobs last month? lol), and they are threatening to not raise the ceiling????the american pop just sits back, rants and raves, while tribally clinging to 'their' side.
I don't need to be a global citizen because I'm blessed by nationality I'm member of a growing populace we enforce our popularity I feel sorry for the earth's population 'cuz so few live in the U.S.A. At least the foreigners can copy our morality they can visit but they cannot stay Only precious few can garner the prosperity it makes us walk with renewed confidence He's the farmers barren fields the force the army wields The expression in the faces of the starving millions The power of the man he's the fuel that drives the clan He's the motive and conscience of the murderer He's the preacher on t.v. the false sincerity The form letter that's written by the big computers He's the nuclear bombs and the kids with no moms

#30 Balloon guy

Balloon guy

Deplorable Lives Matter

• Members
  • 24,375 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 10:03 AM

View PostAll_In, on Monday, July 11th, 2011, 10:44 AM, said:

unfortunately, most americans don't realize how serious this is. there should not even be a debate about it; raise the limit and get on with your other work. how people still side with the repubs boggles the mind. they are now proving that they do not care for the american good, only for their political gain. the US is still mired in a recession (18 thous. jobs last month? lol), and they are threatening to not raise the ceiling????the american pop just sits back, rants and raves, while tribally clinging to 'their' side.
NOW its the US.Before Obama is was all Bush's economy, Bush's war, Bush's fault.But now it the US problem, the US not able to recover, the US debt issue.Funny how you lefties are such hypocrites.And by Funny I mean pathetic.

The government was set to protect man from criminals - and the Constitution was written to protect man from the government. - Ayn Rand

#31 mrdannyg

mrdannyg

Cheese Salesman

• Members
  • 20,246 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 10:28 AM

View PostBalloon guy, on Monday, July 11th, 2011, 3:03 PM, said:

NOW its the US.Before Obama is was all Bush's economy, Bush's war, Bush's fault.But now it the US problem, the US not able to recover, the US debt issue.Funny how you lefties are such hypocrites.And by Funny I mean pathetic.
wait, All_In is on 'our' side? Goddamnit.
Long signatures are really annoying.

#32 Balloon guy

Balloon guy

Deplorable Lives Matter

• Members
  • 24,375 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 10:46 AM

View Postmrdannyg, on Monday, July 11th, 2011, 11:28 AM, said:

Hey, we got Glen Beck...Suck it upAnd no we will not trade All_In for Glen Beck. We would need you to at least also take Larry Craig

#33 brvheart

brvheart

I'm the best.

• Members
  • 25,272 posts
  • Interests:Playing in nuclear fallout.
  • Favorite Poker Game:I play 100/200 live with my best friend Jason.

Posted 11 July 2011 - 11:11 AM

View PostBalloon guy, on Monday, July 11th, 2011, 1:46 PM, said:

And no we will not trade All_In for Glen Beck. We would need you to at least also take Larry Craig
...and Mitt.

View PostiZuma, on 20 August 2012 - 11:32 AM, said:

napa I was jesus christing suited, you guys just slipped in before me.

View PostEssay21, on 25 February 2013 - 08:32 PM, said:

#34 Roll the Bones

Roll the Bones

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 11:51 AM

View PostFCP Bob, on Saturday, July 9th, 2011, 11:34 PM, said:

There is probably nothing in this World that I hate as much as dogmatic ideologues. I find it hard to believe that the Congressional Republicans are so set in their no revenue increases of any sort position that they would actually not increase the debt ceiling and are putting the US Gov't in a position to possibly default on it's debt.The debt ceiling is actually an insane thing to have in your system of government. All of the spending has already happened and been approved. If the debt ceiling isn't increased it's exactly like running up your credit card bill willingly and then just not paying. Not increasing the debt ceiling can't magically make that money that has been spent not get spent.I think this editorial from the Economist sums things up pretty well when they call the Republican position "economically illiterate and disgracefully cynical". The Economist is a right wing pro business magazine but they aren't ideologues and I think it's the smartest best magazine in the English speaking World.Don't get me wrong, the morons in the Democratic Party who refuse to even consider reform of entitlements are just as bad. Basically I think you're all screwed since it seems there is no such thing as a talented reasonable politician in the US currently who actually has any influence. It's the idiots on the fringes who are controlling things.http://www.economist...ory_id=18928600
As for the comment "Independents take notice", I hate to say it but I believe that Obama has simply been pandering to the small independant voters who mostly agree with his moves here since they are the critical swing vote for him to get re-elected.

View Postmrdannyg, on Monday, July 11th, 2011, 2:28 PM, said:

Yeah, it's like the ugly cheerleader rooting for you and leaves that icky feeling regardless, but it is pretty bad when one Canadian province outperformed the entire US in job growth. We need 150K jobs a month to keep up with population growth, so only 18K jobs is really depressing. The fact that politicians are only worried about the debt limit and not talking about jobs is reprehensible.
As Eric Idle wrote: You know, you come from nothing - you're going back to nothing. What have you lost? Nothing!

#35 Roll the Bones

Roll the Bones

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 11:59 AM

View Postbrvheart, on Monday, July 11th, 2011, 12:08 AM, said:

So you would be mad if the Republicans caved and allowed our government to close loopholes for the rich, or even outright raised taxes on the very wealthy? This, despite the fact that every rational economist outside of those speaking on behalf of political gain, agrees that the only possible path to reducing the debt is through tax increases? It's all mind boggling insane that just the top 25 hedge fund managers get billions in low tax income that you or I don't. I mean really, if there is anything that has become very very glaringly obvious is that all these low taxes on the wealthy have not done a thing for the middle class, the deficit, this country or anything positive.
As Eric Idle wrote: You know, you come from nothing - you're going back to nothing. What have you lost? Nothing!

#36 hblask

hblask

Perpetual slow learner

• Members
  • 9,860 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 12:16 PM

View PostAll_In, on Monday, July 11th, 2011, 11:44 AM, said:

there should not even be a debate about it; raise the limit and get on with your other work.
Case closed. I think we all know the correct thing to do now.

#37 hblask

hblask

Perpetual slow learner

• Members
  • 9,860 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 12:22 PM

View PostRoll the Bones, on Monday, July 11th, 2011, 1:59 PM, said:

This, despite the fact that every rational economist outside of those speaking on behalf of political gain, agrees that the only possible path to reducing the debt is through tax increases?
No rational economist says this, since tax rates have a negligible effect on revenue. The best way to raise tax revenue is through pro-growth polices, and raising taxes is the opposite of that.But certainly no sane person can object to simplifying the tax code with an eye to eliminating the loopholes that are thinly veiled corporate welfare. Either side could win this debate convincingly by providing a plan that balanced the budget while eliminating "targeted tax breaks", i.e., corporate welfare, for the richest corporations. This could easily be sold to the public as "raising taxes on the richest Americans".Neither side will present a plan like that, because those loopholes are how they buy campaign contributions.

#38 LongLiveYorke

LongLiveYorke

Ending the world one proton at a time

• Members
  • 8,356 posts
  • Interests:fizziks, teh maths, Raid-o-head, Rod Reynolds

Posted 11 July 2011 - 12:27 PM

View Posthblask, on Monday, July 11th, 2011, 4:22 PM, said:

No rational economist says this, since tax rates have a negligible effect on revenue. The best way to raise tax revenue is through pro-growth polices, and raising taxes is the opposite of that.But certainly no sane person can object to simplifying the tax code with an eye to eliminating the loopholes that are thinly veiled corporate welfare. Either side could win this debate convincingly by providing a plan that balanced the budget while eliminating "targeted tax breaks", i.e., corporate welfare, for the richest corporations. This could easily be sold to the public as "raising taxes on the richest Americans".Neither side will present a plan like that, because those loopholes are how they buy campaign contributions.
I don't know the details, but isn't this what Obama is putting on the table: a small amount of tax loophole fixes (raising taxes) coupled with a large amount of spending cuts, including Medicare? He's public stating that his goal is 4 trillion in reduction, and he's supposedly put a plan on the table (no one knows the details because so far the talks are behind closed doors). It appears that it's this sort of plan that the Republicans are outright rejecting because it contains tax increases. Again, I can't say for sure what exactly Obama is offering because I think it's mostly private for now.

#39 hblask

hblask

Perpetual slow learner

• Members
  • 9,860 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 12:35 PM

View PostLongLiveYorke, on Monday, July 11th, 2011, 2:27 PM, said:

I don't know the details, but isn't this what Obama is putting on the table: a small amount of tax loophole fixes (raising taxes) coupled with a large amount of spending cuts, including Medicare? He's public stating that his goal is 4 trillion in reduction, and he's supposedly put a plan on the table (no one knows the details because so far the talks are behind closed doors). It appears that it's this sort of plan that the Republicans are outright rejecting because it contains tax increases. Again, I can't say for sure what exactly Obama is offering because I think it's mostly private for now.
We're not getting a lot of details, but I don't think 4 trillion comes close to touching the problem, depending on the timeframe and permanency of the changes. While it's starting to sound like we are making tiny steps in the right direction, but I think now is the time to fix it for real.If we don't fix it now, then in 4-6 years we'll be back here and having this same argument about how to delay the day of reckoning until after the next election.

#40 hblask

hblask

Perpetual slow learner

• Members
  • 9,860 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 03:51 PM

View PostLongLiveYorke, on Monday, July 11th, 2011, 2:27 PM, said:

I was thinking about this some more, and that 4T is probably 10 year projections, heavily loaded to the last couple years after the current batch of criminals is out of office. But even if it were honest and divided evenly among the years, the CBO projects about $7 TRILLION in added debt over those 10 years, in addition to the $14 TRILLION we already have. So basically, what that says is that Obama's idea of responsible budgeting is to reduce the amount we are overspending by a little over half, and increasing our net debt by 50% over 10 years, at a time when our credit rating is already in danger.So, if that's what the numbers really mean, and it is likely that they do, a $4T spending cut over the next ten years is a joke.If that's $4T over the next two or three years, then we have a decent starting spot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users