• Please log in to reply
231 replies to this topic

#41 brvheart

brvheart

I'm the best.

• Members
  • 23,122 posts
  • Interests:Playing in nuclear fallout.
  • Favorite Poker Game:I play 100/200 live with my best friend Jason.

Posted 11 June 2011 - 11:13 PM

View PostBigDMcGee, on Friday, June 10th, 2011, 4:06 PM, said:

Reading that Alec Baldwin article, it struck me how perfect David Foster Wallace would have been for this site. I can't help but think the foot notes ( side notes? end notes?) are directly influenced by him, and in general the intellectual pop cultural and sports commentary that the site is going for would have been perfect for DFW. I can't help but think he would have been a columnist for Grantland, had he lived.
This is sad because it's so true.
CAPITALISM: God's way of determining who is smart and who is poor. - Ron Swanson ---> Video:Ron's Pyramid of Greatness Picture: Poster Size

View PostSuitedAces21, on 20 August 2012 - 11:14 AM, said:

tilt you suck.

View PostEssay21, on 25 February 2013 - 08:32 PM, said:

titly suck a dick bitch

#42 BigDMcGee

BigDMcGee

Forum Entitlist

• Members
  • 24,116 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 08:52 AM

View Postbrvheart, on Sunday, June 12th, 2011, 2:13 AM, said:

This is sad because it's so true.
Yeah, the idea of it made me sad.
Posted Image
"We are only wise in knowing that we know nothing"
-Socrates

"Dust. Wind. Dude."
-Ted Theodore Logan

"I'm a basketball player and a businessman, not a Thundercat,"
-Lebron James

#43 BigDMcGee

BigDMcGee

Forum Entitlist

• Members
  • 24,116 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 08:55 AM

I know they would never do it, but if you trade anyone, it should be wade, because he's older and his skill set overlaps with lebrons.
Posted Image
-Socrates

"Dust. Wind. Dude."
-Ted Theodore Logan

-Lebron James

#44 brvheart

brvheart

I'm the best.

• Members
  • 23,122 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 01:49 PM

View PostDubey, on Friday, June 10th, 2011, 12:45 PM, said:

an Incredible story. I feel like I just read a fantastic 30-for-30 episode. Also, an incredibly fitting story to launch the new website with.http://www.grantland...paper-ever-died
My goodness. The style/editing of this article was amazing. Loved every second.
CAPITALISM: God's way of determining who is smart and who is poor. - Ron Swanson ---> Video:Ron's Pyramid of Greatness Picture: Poster Size

tilt you suck.

titly suck a dick bitch

#45 Dubey

Dubey

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 7,309 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 07:12 AM

I almost looked forward to coming to work this morning because I knew here would be some new articles up to read. I love this site.

#46 eYank

eYank

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 4,344 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:Micro Stakes NLHE

Posted 13 June 2011 - 08:27 AM

View PostDubey, on Monday, June 13th, 2011, 8:12 AM, said:

I almost looked forward to coming to work this morning because I knew here would be some new articles up to read. I love this site.
If anything there are too many articles coming out that are too long because I can't keep up lol

#47 Jadaki

Jadaki

IIOY?

• Members
  • 22,247 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 07:46 PM

You guys know the Heat was in the bottom 1/2 of the league in payroll right? A new Hard cap is going to hurt a lot of other teams before it would hurt Miami. LA and Dallas most notably.

#48 FCP Bob

FCP Bob

Limit Holdem Dinosaur

• Root Admin
  • 20,733 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 05:55 AM

View PostJadaki, on Monday, June 13th, 2011, 11:46 PM, said:

You guys know the Heat was in the bottom 1/2 of the league in payroll right? A new Hard cap is going to hurt a lot of other teams before it would hurt Miami. LA and Dallas most notably.
More likely than a hard cap I think they are going to do a bunch of smaller things that will hurt Miami's ability to get quality players.1. I think they're going to get rid of the mid-level and bi-annual exceptions for sure. 2. They're also talking about getting rid of sign and trades.The one thing that might help Miami is if there are a large number of free agent role players who are forced to take minimum contracts. Miami will be an attractive place for those players to go to and if they're better than the Juwan Howard's etc that could help The Heat.Until we know that the new CBA looks like it's going to be hard to know who the biggest winners and losers are.
Bob

info@fullcontactpoker.com

#49 CaneBrain

CaneBrain

The chosen few....

• Members
  • 14,896 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:5/10 NLHE (100 max buy in)

Posted 14 June 2011 - 06:02 AM

View PostFCP Bob, on Tuesday, June 14th, 2011, 9:55 AM, said:

Until we know that the new CBA looks like it's going to be hard to know who the biggest winners and losers are.
bingo.but everything I see says it is extremely unlikely a new system would force Miami to trade one of the Big 3. I think the MLE is dead in the water which hurts Miami but also everyone else. It will kill the possibility of Chicago having the cash to woo a big time shooting guard for instance.going to be a looooong offseason.
"Give a little bit.....give a little bit of your chips to me...."

#50 Voldemort

Voldemort

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 3,229 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:Owning Souls

Posted 15 June 2011 - 06:05 AM

http://www.grantland...d/6661523/scoreWhat's the Score?Crazy to think back and remember the times were like this.

#51 Skeleton Jelly

Skeleton Jelly

KOWTF

• Members
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 02:15 PM

I keep forgetting that Michael Schur is Ken Tremendous.Really funny read about a cricket match.On the Weirdness Scale of Referee Signals, it's halfway between "Illegal Man Downfield" in football and "Crazily Rush Forward and Hold Out Both Arms Like a Human Forklift" in Australian Rules Football.The announcer now says, in re: Tendulkar's back-to-back luck-outs: "I can't think of another moment in cricket where more people had their hearts in their mouths on consecutive balls." Which is the dirtiest non-dirty thing ever said.

#52 Voldemort

Voldemort

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 3,229 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:Owning Souls

Posted 16 June 2011 - 07:25 AM

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#53 Mercury69

Mercury69

Half man! Half man!

• Members
  • 14,244 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:NLHE

Posted 17 June 2011 - 05:31 AM

This site has some terrific writing: classically styled in a pastoral, "stalk of grass in the mouth while watching the wind blow" kind of way, the words flow off the page and into your brain like a soothing ointment, rather than a glove slap to the face. Points and opinions expressed seem void of the badgering so common today in sports writing. Even if you don't agree with a point of view, the method of expression makes you think, I mean really stop and think, that the writer's view is valid and it usually is. Taking a stance, a strong opinion, an unflinching stare-down of the writer's fact vs your fiction, yet offered in such a generous way as to expand not just one's sports universe, but the meaning of one's existence.
"We had all the momentum. We were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look west, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark, that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back." —Raoul Duke, Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas

"Those are brave men knocking at the door. Let's go and kill them!" - Tyrion Lannister

#54 BigDMcGee

BigDMcGee

Forum Entitlist

• Members
  • 24,116 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 11:32 AM

View PostMercury69, on Friday, June 17th, 2011, 8:31 AM, said:

This site has some terrific writing: classically styled in a pastoral, "stalk of grass in the mouth while watching the wind blow" kind of way, the words flow off the page and into your brain like a soothing ointment, rather than a glove slap to the face. Points and opinions expressed seem void of the badgering so common today in sports writing. Even if you don't agree with a point of view, the method of expression makes you think, I mean really stop and think, that the writer's view is valid and it usually is. Taking a stance, a strong opinion, an unflinching stare-down of the writer's fact vs your fiction, yet offered in such a generous way as to expand not just one's sports universe, but the meaning of one's existence.
Posted Image
Posted Image
-Socrates

"Dust. Wind. Dude."
-Ted Theodore Logan

-Lebron James

#55 Mercury69

Mercury69

Half man! Half man!

• Members
  • 14,244 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:NLHE

Posted 17 June 2011 - 11:58 AM

View PostBigDMcGee, on Friday, June 17th, 2011, 3:32 PM, said:

Posted Image
I like that you use the same old picture to express your lack of understanding of a post. It keeps things clear. Thumbs up!
"We had all the momentum. We were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look west, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark, that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back." —Raoul Duke, Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas

"Those are brave men knocking at the door. Let's go and kill them!" - Tyrion Lannister

#56 brvheart

brvheart

I'm the best.

• Members
  • 23,122 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 01:41 PM

Mercury. Seriously. You are the worst. And I'm not talking about your hippy/weed induced paragraph about Grantland. You just have the wost responses ever to criticism. The. Worst.

tilt you suck.

titly suck a dick bitch

#57 Suited_Up

Suited_Up

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 25,723 posts
  • Interests:Poker and Sports

Posted 17 June 2011 - 09:46 PM

I do like the articles for the most part though.
-Kurt

#58 BigDMcGee

BigDMcGee

Forum Entitlist

• Members
  • 24,116 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 10:12 PM

View PostMercury69, on Friday, June 17th, 2011, 2:58 PM, said:

I like that you use the same old picture to express your lack of understanding of a post. It keeps things clear. Thumbs up!
I hate to break it to you Merc, but I understood it just fine. you ain't joyce. Would anyone else like to try to guess what I was expressing?
Posted Image
-Socrates

"Dust. Wind. Dude."
-Ted Theodore Logan

-Lebron James

#59 SuitedAces21

SuitedAces21

pure brody

• Members
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 11:33 PM

big d was saying, and i quote, "mercury is a faggotous douchebag."

#60 digitalmonkey

digitalmonkey

Unenjoyable Annoying Retard

• Members
  • 32,657 posts
  • Interests:sports, music, movies, photography
  • Favorite Poker Game:Hi/Lo Chicago

Posted 20 June 2011 - 04:14 AM

The sharks are gathering. Or is it the Jets? I've lost track.
Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users