• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Roll the Bones

Roll the Bones

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 12:38 PM

On BBC they have a program called The Big Question and this episode asked the question Is the Bible still relevant? The panel consists of an athiest, Rabbi, Former head of Church of England, and Biblical historian along with many comments by various learned people in the audience. It's quite entertaining and the host keeps a good pace and keeps it moving. 4 part series of videos on youtube about 15 minutes apiece but they go quick and you can watch at your leisure.
As Eric Idle wrote: You know, you come from nothing - you're going back to nothing. What have you lost? Nothing!

#2 Mills

Mills

Poker Forum Groupie

• Members
  • 557 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 11:10 PM

View PostRoll the Bones, on Saturday, May 14th, 2011, 1:38 PM, said:

On BBC they have a program called The Big Question and this episode asked the question Is the Bible still relevant? The panel consists of an athiest, Rabbi, Former head of Church of England, and Biblical historian along with many comments by various learned people in the audience. It's quite entertaining and the host keeps a good pace and keeps it moving. 4 part series of videos on youtube about 15 minutes apiece but they go quick and you can watch at your leisure.
Interesting question. I'm not sure if you wanted us to actually answer(?) but I think it has to be. It gives us a window into how an acient people lived. Not to mention, lots of poetry can scarcesly be understood if u dont have your biblical refrences.

#3 LongLiveYorke

LongLiveYorke

Ending the world one proton at a time

• Members
  • 8,355 posts
  • Interests:fizziks, teh maths, Raid-o-head, Rod Reynolds

Posted 16 May 2011 - 05:27 AM

No

#4 brvheart

brvheart

I'm the best.

• Members
  • 22,965 posts
  • Interests:Playing in nuclear fallout.
  • Favorite Poker Game:I play 100/200 live with my best friend Jason.

Posted 16 May 2011 - 07:46 AM

View PostLongLiveYorke, on Monday, May 16th, 2011, 8:27 AM, said:

No
Hey. **** you.
CAPITALISM: God's way of determining who is smart and who is poor. - Ron Swanson ---> Video:Ron's Pyramid of Greatness Picture: Poster Size

View PostSuitedAces21, on 20 August 2012 - 11:14 AM, said:

tilt you suck.

View PostEssay21, on 25 February 2013 - 08:32 PM, said:

titly suck a dick bitch

#5 LongLiveYorke

LongLiveYorke

Ending the world one proton at a time

• Members
  • 8,355 posts
  • Interests:fizziks, teh maths, Raid-o-head, Rod Reynolds

Posted 16 May 2011 - 07:37 PM

View Postbrvheart, on Monday, May 16th, 2011, 11:46 AM, said:

Hey. **** you.
Oh, sorry.Yes.

#6 solderz

solderz

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 06:19 AM

View PostMills, on Sunday, May 15th, 2011, 12:10 AM, said:

Interesting question. I'm not sure if you wanted us to actually answer(?) but I think it has to be. It gives us a window into how an acient people lived. Not to mention, lots of poetry can scarcesly be understood if u dont have your biblical refrences.
It is completely and utterly irrelevant in today's day and age. Both poetry and history have much better sources. I wish I could stab it with a basilisk's tooth and make it bleed (sorry...I just watched Harry Potter with my niece).
Solderz

Life is like a game of cards. The hand that is dealt you is determinism; the way you play it is free will.

#7 Mills

Mills

Poker Forum Groupie

• Members
  • 557 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 11:38 AM

View Postsolderz, on Friday, May 20th, 2011, 7:19 AM, said:

It is completely and utterly irrelevant in today's day and age. Both poetry and history have much better sources. I wish I could stab it with a basilisk's tooth and make it bleed (sorry...I just watched Harry Potter with my niece).
I'm not trying to be confrontational at all, but what does this mean? Many poets use specific biblical allusions which wouldnt make sense in any other light.

#8 solderz

solderz

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 12:44 PM

View PostMills, on Friday, May 20th, 2011, 12:38 PM, said:

I'm not trying to be confrontational at all, but what does this mean? Many poets use specific biblical allusions which wouldnt make sense in any other light.
True nuff, but I prefer poetry without ties to religion. Those are the better sources I was discussing. And as far as a historical tool, the bible may as well be thrown out, with all the confusion it causes in believers. For fuck sake, genesis causes people to disbelieve in evolution. The book is just a complete disaster.
Solderz

Life is like a game of cards. The hand that is dealt you is determinism; the way you play it is free will.

#9 Mills

Mills

Poker Forum Groupie

• Members
  • 557 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 02:17 PM

View Postsolderz, on Friday, May 20th, 2011, 1:44 PM, said:

True nuff, but I prefer poetry without ties to religion. Those are the better sources I was discussing. And as far as a historical tool, the bible may as well be thrown out, with all the confusion it causes in believers. For **** sake, genesis causes people to disbelieve in evolution. The book is just a complete disaster.
I mean, religious people have written some pretty great poetry imo, but I digress. I dont mean actual events in the book, like noah's flood or the plauges, can be used historically. I mean we can learn a lot about the people who wrote it by learning how they lived and what they believed in.

#10 vbnautilus

vbnautilus

psychonaut

• Members
  • 10,316 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 04:25 PM

View PostMills, on Friday, May 20th, 2011, 3:17 PM, said:

I mean, religious people have written some pretty great poetry imo, but I digress. I dont mean actual events in the book, like noah's flood or the plauges, can be used historically. I mean we can learn a lot about the people who wrote it by learning how they lived and what they believed in.
That makes it about as relevant as the Egyptian Book of Caverns..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users