137 replies to this topic

#21 Skeleton Jelly

Skeleton Jelly

KOWTF

• Members
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 11:00 AM

View Postbrvheart, on Friday, March 11th, 2011, 10:52 AM, said:

I tried that, but the first like 5 videos I watched didn't have any vans on a road.
That's still some pretty amazing video.

#22 brvheart

brvheart

I'm the best.

• Members
  • 22,995 posts
  • Interests:Playing in nuclear fallout.
  • Favorite Poker Game:I play 100/200 live with my best friend Jason.

Posted 11 March 2011 - 11:01 AM

View PostSkeleton Jelly, on Friday, March 11th, 2011, 1:00 PM, said:

That's still some pretty amazing video.
I agree.I found a good one on the Drudge Report, but it has a lot of the same video as the one you posted...http://news.sky.com/...ings_In_Capital
CAPITALISM: God's way of determining who is smart and who is poor. - Ron Swanson ---> Video:Ron's Pyramid of Greatness Picture: Poster Size

View PostSuitedAces21, on 20 August 2012 - 11:14 AM, said:

tilt you suck.

View PostEssay21, on 25 February 2013 - 08:32 PM, said:

titly suck a dick bitch

#23 LongLiveYorke

LongLiveYorke

Ending the world one proton at a time

• Members
  • 8,355 posts
  • Interests:fizziks, teh maths, Raid-o-head, Rod Reynolds

Posted 11 March 2011 - 11:24 AM

Pictures:http://www.boston.co...hits_japan.html

#24 Skeleton Jelly

Skeleton Jelly

KOWTF

• Members
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 11:29 AM

Wow

#25 brvheart

brvheart

I'm the best.

• Members
  • 22,995 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 11:38 AM

Why are Japanese people so weird? I mean, like 40% of the people carry around surgical masks? Really?
CAPITALISM: God's way of determining who is smart and who is poor. - Ron Swanson ---> Video:Ron's Pyramid of Greatness Picture: Poster Size

tilt you suck.

titly suck a dick bitch

#26 brvheart

brvheart

I'm the best.

• Members
  • 22,995 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 11:41 AM

Posted ImageAn energy map provided by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) shows the intensity of the tsunami caused by the magnitude 8.9 earthquake which struck Japan on March 11, 2011. A tsunami warning has been issued for the entire Pacific basin except mainland United States and Canada following a huge earthquake that hit Japan on Friday, the U.S. Pacific Tsunami Warning Center said. The warning includes Hawaii and extends from Mexico down to South American countries on the Pacific, the center said. (NOAA/Tsunami Warning Center/)#This is so bad-ass. I can't believe we have this technology.

tilt you suck.

titly suck a dick bitch

#27 DinkDonk

DinkDonk

Not the one you want, Babe

• Members
  • 2,758 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:Shorthanded Limit HE

Posted 11 March 2011 - 11:46 AM

Fuuuuuck.

#28 LongLiveYorke

LongLiveYorke

• Members
  • 8,355 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 11:47 AM

View Postbrvheart, on Friday, March 11th, 2011, 2:41 PM, said:

This is so bad-ass. I can't believe we have this technology.
I imagine it's satellites measuring the maximum ocean hight during the window that the tsunami was passing through minus the average ocean height of that area (in centimeters). Yeah, it's pretty awesome.

#29 El Guapo

El Guapo

Like A Boss!

• Members
  • 16,439 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 11:51 AM

Scientists said the quake ranked as the fifth-largest earthquake in the world since 1900 and was nearly 8,000 times stronger than one that devastated Christchurch, New Zealand, last month.
Much like our national deficit, these numbers are so large, we really cannot comprehend them.

#30 LongLiveYorke

LongLiveYorke

• Members
  • 8,355 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 11:57 AM

View PostEl Guapo, on Friday, March 11th, 2011, 2:51 PM, said:

Much like our national deficit, these numbers are so large, we really cannot comprehend them.
I disagree. These numbers are difficult to interpret not because of how large they are, but rather because they are several levels of abstraction away from anything tangible that we can understand.Though our national debt is very large, it is inherently measured in dollars, and everybody understands what a dollar is. Earthquakes, on the other hand, are measured in several ways. The Richter scale measures the amputate of the shake, but there's also the amount of time that the shaking took place, the total energy released into the earth, the location of the quake's epicenter (was it near a population, was it underwater and cause a tsunami, etc). Even if all these numbers were given and they were reasonably sized, one would still have a difficult time imagining the effect on people who lived through them or people who suffer in the aftermath.Incidentally, one should also remember that the Richter scale is logarithmic. This means that an earthquake of scale 9.0 is ten times as strong as one of 8.0, and 100 times as strong as one of 7.0. So, this quake was big...

#31 SBriand

SBriand

Viva La Beaver!

• Members
  • 15,097 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 12:01 PM

Nagano just had a 6.6 earthquake. Not an aftershock, but another earthquake.The island of Honshu moved 8 feet after the earlier earthquake. That is amazing.
QUOTE (digitalmonkey @ Wednesday, August 18th, 2010, 1:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Steve,

It doesn't matter who you start because you have a horse shoe up your ass so far I'm not really sure how you get through the day. You must be gay.

#32 Skeleton Jelly

Skeleton Jelly

KOWTF

• Members
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 12:05 PM

View PostLongLiveYorke, on Friday, March 11th, 2011, 11:57 AM, said:

I disagree.
I think Guapo's point is that we don't fully appreciate just how large either number really is.

#33 GeneralGeeWhiz

GeneralGeeWhiz

Go Niners

• Members
  • 5,191 posts
  • Interests:mtt bubbles, girls, fast cars and golf.
  • Favorite Poker Game:mtt bubbles

Posted 11 March 2011 - 12:18 PM

View Postbrvheart, on Friday, March 11th, 2011, 11:41 AM, said:

Posted ImageAn energy map provided by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) shows the intensity of the tsunami caused by the magnitude 8.9 earthquake which struck Japan on March 11, 2011. A tsunami warning has been issued for the entire Pacific basin except mainland United States and Canada following a huge earthquake that hit Japan on Friday, the U.S. Pacific Tsunami Warning Center said. The warning includes Hawaii and extends from Mexico down to South American countries on the Pacific, the center said. (NOAA/Tsunami Warning Center/)#This is so bad-ass. I can't believe we have this technology.
holy shhhhhhhhit. :club:

#34 Mercury69

Mercury69

Half man! Half man!

• Members
  • 14,244 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:NLHE

Posted 11 March 2011 - 01:09 PM

After-shocks: They're saying that one AS was over 7 and another 6.6. Tsunami warnings still very much in effect
"We had all the momentum. We were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look west, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark, that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back." —Raoul Duke, Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas

"Those are brave men knocking at the door. Let's go and kill them!" - Tyrion Lannister

#35 Fubar The Sperm

Fubar The Sperm

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 2,206 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 02:32 PM

I'm in Indonesia on vacation. Just left japan a few days ago. Thankfully just missed it. We didn't even here about it until we turned on BBC last night. Hopefully for everyone this is the extent of it.

#36 custom36

custom36

FCP Veteran, Politico

• Members
  • 16,157 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:Limit Hold'em

Posted 11 March 2011 - 02:55 PM

Video of a giant whirlpool, with a boat caught in it/Awesome picture of a tsunami taking over a town. And of course, I mean awesome in the awe-inspiring way.Edit - I can't like directly to the picture, but it's the 4th picture in.

#37 AmScray

AmScray

Honk

• Members
  • 3,895 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:wrhsf235yu

Posted 11 March 2011 - 03:05 PM

So, this morning, they were reporting the death toll as "rising to 60". I laughed out loud.I don't know what it's up to now, but can we learn a fucking lesson for once and just not bother to report death tolls until some sort of a preliminary assesment has been done? Every time we report death tolls when the fires are still burning, they are DRASTICALLY underestimated. It's like how after every major hurricane, there's some idiot reporter who waits it out in a hotel somewhere then does a live report within minutes of the storms bulk passing, talking about how it 'wasn't as bad as originally expected..." It was this way with Andrew, it was this way with Katrina... Then, once we get some planes in the air and the reports start coming in, we know that isn't the case.The over/under is set at 1000. I'll take the over. If this were in China or India, it would've been in the hundreds of thousands.
Posted Image

#38 FCP Bob

FCP Bob

Limit Holdem Dinosaur

• Root Admin
  • 20,301 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 03:10 PM

View PostKosinTrouble, on Friday, March 11th, 2011, 12:29 PM, said:

Obviously people trying to get a darwin award...
http://abcnews.go.co...ory?id=13112901A man who went to the California coast to photograph the tsunami wave spawned by the Japanese earthquake was washed out to sea today and the Coast Guard has mounted a search for him. The missing man was the only reported casualty of the wave that raced across the Pacific at 500 mph threatening to strike with waves as high as 9 feet high
Bob

info@fullcontactpoker.com

#39 AmScray

AmScray

Honk

• Members
  • 3,895 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:wrhsf235yu

Posted 11 March 2011 - 03:27 PM

View PostFCP Bob, on Friday, March 11th, 2011, 4:10 PM, said:

[i]A man who went to the California coast to photograph the tsunami wave spawned by the Japanese earthquake was washed out to sea today and the Coast Guard has mounted a search for him.
No one should be wasting energy searching for that man.
Posted Image

#40 ShakeZuma

ShakeZuma

A hot and bothered astronaut

• Members
  • 14,658 posts
  • Interests:Basket weaving, gardening, BDSM

Posted 11 March 2011 - 04:16 PM

View Postbrvheart, on Friday, March 11th, 2011, 2:38 PM, said:

Why are Japanese people so weird? I mean, like 40% of the people carry around surgical masks? Really?
I noticed that too, but I also notice that they are all just fuck all impeccably dressed. like every single person who wasn't an emergency worker was decked out in a suit and tie or some other really nice outfit. jesus, how much of a fag am I? god damn earthquake leads to a tsunami and I'm like "oh nice suit!"

View PostAmScray, on Friday, March 11th, 2011, 6:05 PM, said:

The over/under is set at 1000. I'll take the over. If this were in China or India, it would've been in the hundreds of thousands.
yeah this is the last number I've heard too. and while I'd have to take the over too, I have to say, if the death toll for this thing stays even remotely close to 1,000, then you really have to give the japanese government and people a HUGE amount of credit for disaster preparedness and whatnot. 8.9? like you said, ANYWHERE else and that's 100k easy.

View PostAmScray, on 30 August 2010 - 12:41 PM, said:

one cannot possibly ascribe themselves to the larger (D) philosophy without first being a poon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users