Balloon guy

Deplorable Lives Matter

• Members
  • 24,409 posts
  • Interests:Cigars, Flying, Golf, Bible
  • Favorite Poker Game:Golf

Posted 17 February 2011 - 04:08 PM

View PostRoll the Bones, on Thursday, February 17th, 2011, 3:09 PM, said:

haha, no the new blood Republicans just want to pick on teachers and starve babies and sell contaminated food instead of raising taxes on the billionaires to what the normal Joe pays.
The normal Joe pays more in taxes? How? In percentage of their income or in dollars? Feel free to use graphs and or bar charts

View Postbrvheart, on Thursday, February 17th, 2011, 3:11 PM, said:

No one is cutting anyone's pay.
Irrelevant..teacher should be allowed to do anything because the children are our future.
I use my cigar smoke as idiot repellent

Most bad government has come out of too much government. Thomas Jefferson

#42 ShakeZuma

ShakeZuma

A hot and bothered astronaut

• Members
  • 14,680 posts
  • Interests:Basket weaving, gardening, BDSM

Posted 17 February 2011 - 04:08 PM

so wait, if everybody has always known that teachers are underpaid, then why do so many people go to school to be teachers, get a teaching job, and then immediately complain about being underpaid? did they just miss all the memos?

View PostAmScray, on 30 August 2010 - 12:41 PM, said:

one cannot possibly ascribe themselves to the larger (D) philosophy without first being a poon

#43 Balloon guy

Balloon guy

Deplorable Lives Matter

• Members
  • 24,409 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 04:09 PM

View PostShakeZuma, on Thursday, February 17th, 2011, 4:08 PM, said:

so wait, if everybody has always known that teachers are underpaid, then why do so many people go to school to be teachers, get a teaching job, and then immediately complain about being underpaid? did they just miss all the memos?
UmmmmFutureChildrenOurs

#44 Balloon guy

Balloon guy

Deplorable Lives Matter

• Members
  • 24,409 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 04:16 PM

View PostCaneBrain, on Thursday, February 17th, 2011, 2:59 PM, said:

Yep, and that is why there was so much outrage from the conservatives on here when Wall Street bankrupted the world and then demanded bonuses so they could retain their talent (that bankrupted the world).
Barney Frank thoAnd the rating agencies

Also, people who do not live in that reality:athletes, pretty much anyone who does manual labor, business owners, politicians, etc. you know like a huge chunk of our workforce.I iz stunned that you, like every GOP governor, has decided to make teachers their budget scapegoat though. super stunned.
When we are paying more per student then anyone and getting worse results, should they really be off limits?Of course good teachers are getting lumped in with bad ones. and if we had merit based pay we could change the whole dynamic of the argument, of course I have no idea how you could have merit based pay since the only way to judge this is by giving the students a test, and then we are teaching to the test which is the worst evil ever because Bush did it...

#45 Balloon guy

Balloon guy

Deplorable Lives Matter

• Members
  • 24,409 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 04:22 PM

This is needed now to keep things in perspective

#46 phlegm

phlegm

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 05:13 PM

View PostShakeZuma, on Thursday, February 17th, 2011, 4:08 PM, said:

Im guessing the ones who really went to school to teach others, are not the ones holding picket signs and calling in sickMost likely it is the ones who went to school on daddys dime and after three years of liberal arts major and partying decided they werent cut out for the private sector, so they pulled the emergency chute and became union teachers.
I am not an alcoholic

I am a drunk

Alcoholics go to meetings

#47 brvheart

brvheart

I'm the best.

• Members
  • 25,353 posts
  • Interests:Playing in nuclear fallout.
  • Favorite Poker Game:I play 100/200 live with my best friend Jason.

Posted 17 February 2011 - 05:29 PM

View PostRoll the Bones, on Thursday, February 17th, 2011, 5:13 PM, said:

How dare teachers want job security or a decent wages!
Can you force your employer to give you long term job security guaranteed? How about pay you decent wages? Why should teachers be different?

View Postloogie, on Thursday, February 17th, 2011, 5:43 PM, said:

So you think teachers are overpaid? Oh.
I hope you saw SJ's link. Teachers work 9 1/2 months a year, if you include all the holidays. I think they are definitely overpaid.

View PostiZuma, on 20 August 2012 - 11:32 AM, said:

napa I was jesus christing suited, you guys just slipped in before me.

View PostEssay21, on 25 February 2013 - 08:32 PM, said:

#48 loogie

loogie

Chopped Liver

• Members
  • 6,120 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:fun poker pics :)

Posted 17 February 2011 - 05:51 PM

View Postbrvheart, on Thursday, February 17th, 2011, 8:29 PM, said:

I hope you saw SJ's link. Teachers work 9 1/2 months a year, if you include all the holidays. I think they are definitely overpaid.
That link didn't factor in value to society.

#49 Oggmonster

Oggmonster

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 06:14 PM

View Postloogie, on Thursday, February 17th, 2011, 7:51 PM, said:

That link didn't factor in value to society.
Everybody who has a job in the private sector provides value to society. A bad teacher provides less value to society than a good janitor.

#50 loogie

loogie

Chopped Liver

• Members
  • 6,120 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 06:20 PM

View PostOggmonster, on Thursday, February 17th, 2011, 9:14 PM, said:

Everybody who has a job in the private sector provides value to society. A bad teacher provides less value to society than a good janitor.
If teacher salaries were higher, the job would attract better teachers.

#51 hblask

hblask

Perpetual slow learner

• Members
  • 9,860 posts
  • Interests:Just deal the cards already

Posted 17 February 2011 - 06:21 PM

- I grew up in WI so I have lots of family there. My sister and her husband were teachers there. They were not hurting for money and only worked 9 months a year. They are now better off than me, who has been a programmer for decades.- My nephew is a teacher who can't get a job there because you can't fire crappy teachers.- The teachers are trying to argue out of both sides of their mouth: we are underpaid -- which implies that a free market would pay them more -- AND that they need the unions to make sure they get a fair wage. Which is it? You can't have both of those.- How many of the protesters were bused in from other states?- The state legislators that refuse to show up for work should be fired and replaced by the governor within 24 hours. That's nonsense.
"Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?" -- J. Coulton

#52 Balloon guy

Balloon guy

Deplorable Lives Matter

• Members
  • 24,409 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 07:08 PM

View Postloogie, on Thursday, February 17th, 2011, 6:20 PM, said:

If teacher salaries were higher, the job would attract better teachers.
Because bad teachers won't work for more money?Or good teachers who care for kids and want to teach won't do it for less?You cannot pay a person enough to become good at their job. Not for a long period of time. They either are good and you compensate them, or they are not and no amount of money will change that.The teachers have chosen through unionizing to not allow anyone to receive more pay for being better at their job. So their solution is to raise the pay of all the bad teachers so that the good ones get their just reward?

#53 Balloon guy

Balloon guy

Deplorable Lives Matter

• Members
  • 24,409 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 07:12 PM

View Posthblask, on Thursday, February 17th, 2011, 6:21 PM, said:

- I grew up in WI so I have lots of family there. My sister and her husband were teachers there. They were not hurting for money and only worked 9 months a year. They are now better off than me, who has been a programmer for decades.
Average work for a teacher is 32 weeks a year when factor in sick leaves, holidays etc.

- The teachers are trying to argue out of both sides of their mouth: we are underpaid -- which implies that a free market would pay them more -- AND that they need the unions to make sure they get a fair wage. Which is it? You can't have both of those.
My daughter went to private school and we paid ~$3,500 a year, small school with 15 kids per class. The teachers made about 2/3rd what they would have gotten in public school. But the kids in public school represent $10,000 a year, if we paid that in private school, the kids would eat lobster and steak for lunch, the teachers would all make $100K and the girl's volleyball team could afford a coach with a remote chance to be competitive.

#54 custom36

custom36

FCP Veteran, Politico

• Members
  • 16,157 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:Limit Hold'em

Posted 17 February 2011 - 07:20 PM

I've been helping organize the protests for the last 3 days. I work tomorrow AM, then I'm going back for 3 more days. For me, today was life-changing. I spent the entire day behind the podium organizing everyone, leading chants, and talking with protesters and union leaders. If you know what I look like, you will likely see me on news reports. I 100% believe we are doing the right thing and that the 14 senators who walked out did the only thing they could and should stay out until Republicans cave. The next couple of days, when people don't have to work, are going to be gigantic. I can't wait.

#55 Balloon guy

Balloon guy

Deplorable Lives Matter

• Members
  • 24,409 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 07:25 PM

View Postcustom36, on Thursday, February 17th, 2011, 7:20 PM, said:

I've been helping organize the protests for the last 3 days. I work tomorrow AM, then I'm going back for 3 more days. For me, today was life-changing. I spent the entire day behind the podium organizing everyone, leading chants, and talking with protesters and union leaders. If you know what I look like, you will likely see me on news reports. I 100% believe we are doing the right thing and that the 14 senators who walked out did the only thing they could and should stay out until Republicans cave. The next couple of days, when people don't have to work, are going to be gigantic. I can't wait.
Believe it or not, I wish you good luck.I mean it ain't my tax dollars in WI after all...

#56 custom36

custom36

FCP Veteran, Politico

• Members
  • 16,157 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 07:31 PM

Thank you BG.Even if this doesn't agree with your politics, we are still a blue state and I can tell you with ....85% certainty, that this is what the majority of Wisconsin wants.

#57 Balloon guy

Balloon guy

Deplorable Lives Matter

• Members
  • 24,409 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 07:33 PM

View Postcustom36, on Thursday, February 17th, 2011, 7:31 PM, said:

Thank you BG.Even if this doesn't agree with your politics, we are still a blue state and I can tell you with ....85% certainty, that this is what the majority of Wisconsin wants.
It's all the cold weather....

#58 loogie

loogie

Chopped Liver

• Members
  • 6,120 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 07:43 PM

View PostBalloon guy, on Thursday, February 17th, 2011, 10:08 PM, said:

Because bad teachers won't work for more money?Or good teachers who care for kids and want to teach won't do it for less?
Because smarter people that would normally be working in other occupations would consider teaching instead.

#59 Balloon guy

Balloon guy

Deplorable Lives Matter

• Members
  • 24,409 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 07:50 PM

View Postloogie, on Thursday, February 17th, 2011, 7:43 PM, said:

Because smarter people that would normally be working in other occupations would consider teaching instead.
Why would I want to be a teacher?Do you know how little they make?

#60 custom36

custom36

FCP Veteran, Politico

• Members
  • 16,157 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 07:52 PM

View Posthblask, on Thursday, February 17th, 2011, 8:21 PM, said:

- How many of the protesters were bused in from other states?
Very, very few. They've begun trickling in today, and more are coming this weekend. But this has been 99% Wisconsin.My alma mater is not Madison, but they (and other state schools) had thousands of students protesting there too. The entire state is on the same page right now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users