Jump to content


Union Worker Protests In Wi


  • Please log in to reply
1179 replies to this topic

#21 CaneBrain

CaneBrain

    The chosen few....

  • Members
  • 14,896 posts
  • Location:The NFL Films Vault
  • Favorite Poker Game:5/10 NLHE (100 max buy in)

Posted 17 February 2011 - 02:00 PM

View PostLongLiveYorke, on Thursday, February 17th, 2011, 4:33 PM, said:

...because we live in a free country...? Or should the government force them to teach?
no, no....their job is so important that they can't miss a few days of work to protest but not so important that they can't have their pay cut without giving any input. it's a fine line.
"Give a little bit.....give a little bit of your chips to me...."

#22 Balloon guy

Balloon guy

    Deplorable Lives Matter

  • Members
  • 24,375 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:So Cal
  • Interests:Cigars, Flying, Golf, Bible
  • Favorite Poker Game:Golf

Posted 17 February 2011 - 02:07 PM

View PostLongLiveYorke, on Thursday, February 17th, 2011, 1:33 PM, said:

...because we live in a free country...? Or should the government force them to teach?
Should the employees of the government be able to demand that the government print money and give it to them and hold hostage the future of our country until their demands are met?It is actually the very argument they are presenting that their job is soooo important and they are sooo necessary that requires them to be there because after all...they are sooo important.If they are not that important and their absence isn't that big a deal, then why should we pay them more?They live by the sword, they die by it.
I use my cigar smoke as idiot repellent

The government was set to protect man from criminals - and the Constitution was written to protect man from the government. - Ayn Rand

#23 Balloon guy

Balloon guy

    Deplorable Lives Matter

  • Members
  • 24,375 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:So Cal
  • Interests:Cigars, Flying, Golf, Bible
  • Favorite Poker Game:Golf

Posted 17 February 2011 - 02:08 PM

View PostCaneBrain, on Thursday, February 17th, 2011, 2:00 PM, said:

no, no....their job is so important that they can't miss a few days of work to protest but not so important that they can't have their pay cut without giving any input. it's a fine line.
Shockingly the entire world has to live with the reality that the place they work can cut their pay without them having any input on it other than to quit every single day of every single year since time began...but I can see why teachers should not have to live in reality.
I use my cigar smoke as idiot repellent

The government was set to protect man from criminals - and the Constitution was written to protect man from the government. - Ayn Rand

#24 LongLiveYorke

LongLiveYorke

    Ending the world one proton at a time

  • Members
  • 8,356 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manhattan
  • Interests:fizziks, teh maths, Raid-o-head, Rod Reynolds

Posted 17 February 2011 - 02:29 PM

View PostBalloon guy, on Thursday, February 17th, 2011, 5:07 PM, said:

They live by the sword, they die by it.
I don't disagree. I think they should have the right to strike, and I think the schools should have the right to say, "Fine, strike," and then go out and hire other teachers. If they do so, then striking was probably a bad choice by the teachers.It's of course made tricky by the fact that public schools don't really have a profit feedback mechanism. So, if the school decides to fire all the striking teachers and hire a bunch of crappy teachers who will work for little pay, there's no mechanism for customers to say that's a bad idea (if, for example, Apple did the same thing and made crappy ipods, people would stop buying ipods). So, the teachers have an unusually strong position because it (should) be in the state's interest to maintain good schools.So, in conclusion: I don't know. But I guess it makes for an interesting debate.

#25 CaneBrain

CaneBrain

    The chosen few....

  • Members
  • 14,896 posts
  • Location:The NFL Films Vault
  • Favorite Poker Game:5/10 NLHE (100 max buy in)

Posted 17 February 2011 - 02:59 PM

View PostBalloon guy, on Thursday, February 17th, 2011, 5:08 PM, said:

Shockingly the entire world has to live with the reality that the place they work can cut their pay without them having any input on it other than to quit every single day of every single year since time began...but I can see why teachers should not have to live in reality.
Yep, and that is why there was so much outrage from the conservatives on here when Wall Street bankrupted the world and then demanded bonuses so they could retain their talent (that bankrupted the world).Also, people who do not live in that reality:athletes, pretty much anyone who does manual labor, business owners, politicians, etc. you know like a huge chunk of our workforce.I iz stunned that you, like every GOP governor, has decided to make teachers their budget scapegoat though. super stunned.
"Give a little bit.....give a little bit of your chips to me...."

#26 brvheart

brvheart

    I'm the best.

  • Members
  • 25,272 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Toyko, Japan
  • Interests:Playing in nuclear fallout.
  • Favorite Poker Game:I play 100/200 live with my best friend Jason.

Posted 17 February 2011 - 03:02 PM

View Postloogie, on Thursday, February 17th, 2011, 12:38 PM, said:

I don't know what all is going on with this issue, like all of you. Of course, most of you see "Union" and immediately jump on the other side. But these are teachers, right? Teachers. The one occupation that is widely regarded as being underpaid. Teachers. If I have to pick a side before knowing all the info, I'm going with them.
Are you sure you used the correct word here?

View PostiZuma, on 20 August 2012 - 11:32 AM, said:

napa I was jesus christing suited, you guys just slipped in before me.

View PostEssay21, on 25 February 2013 - 08:32 PM, said:

.

#27 brvheart

brvheart

    I'm the best.

  • Members
  • 25,272 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Toyko, Japan
  • Interests:Playing in nuclear fallout.
  • Favorite Poker Game:I play 100/200 live with my best friend Jason.

Posted 17 February 2011 - 03:06 PM

View PostCaneBrain, on Thursday, February 17th, 2011, 1:00 PM, said:

I guarantee that it would take a long time to find enough people who are qualified. You know, if you care about finding qualified people.I love when people assume there is some giant pool of qualified teachers out there who could take the place of these lazy unionized fatcat teachers.Their collective bargaining rights are being threatened and they are exercising their 1st amendment rights in protest. Stupid America with our freedom of speech. What a terrible lesson those teachers are giving their kids----they should be teaching them to roll over and take it at an early age.
In my department at Wells Fargo, there are FOUR certified teachers that would teach immediately if they could find a job. This is in a department of 40 people.

View PostiZuma, on 20 August 2012 - 11:32 AM, said:

napa I was jesus christing suited, you guys just slipped in before me.

View PostEssay21, on 25 February 2013 - 08:32 PM, said:

.

#28 CaneBrain

CaneBrain

    The chosen few....

  • Members
  • 14,896 posts
  • Location:The NFL Films Vault
  • Favorite Poker Game:5/10 NLHE (100 max buy in)

Posted 17 February 2011 - 03:09 PM

View Postbrvheart, on Thursday, February 17th, 2011, 6:06 PM, said:

In my department at Wells Fargo, there are FOUR certified teachers that would teach immediately if they could find a job. This is in a department of 40 people.
In Florida, they will take anyone with a pulse.
"Give a little bit.....give a little bit of your chips to me...."

#29 Roll the Bones

Roll the Bones

    Poker Forum Veteran

  • Members
  • 2,727 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Rivendell

Posted 17 February 2011 - 03:09 PM

View PostFCP Bob, on Thursday, February 17th, 2011, 3:52 PM, said:

Cut taxes and increase the deficit ?
haha, no the new blood Republicans just want to pick on teachers and starve babies and sell contaminated food instead of raising taxes on the billionaires to what the normal Joe pays.
As Eric Idle wrote: You know, you come from nothing - you're going back to nothing. What have you lost? Nothing!

#30 brvheart

brvheart

    I'm the best.

  • Members
  • 25,272 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Toyko, Japan
  • Interests:Playing in nuclear fallout.
  • Favorite Poker Game:I play 100/200 live with my best friend Jason.

Posted 17 February 2011 - 03:10 PM

View PostLongLiveYorke, on Thursday, February 17th, 2011, 3:33 PM, said:

...because we live in a free country...? Or should the government force them to teach?
Is this some sort of joke? They should be suspended for lying and skipping work. If it's a 2nd or 3rd offense, they should be fired instantly. That's what happens in the real world when you skip work. They have every right to not teach, and the school has every right to fire their lazy/greedy asses.

View PostiZuma, on 20 August 2012 - 11:32 AM, said:

napa I was jesus christing suited, you guys just slipped in before me.

View PostEssay21, on 25 February 2013 - 08:32 PM, said:

.

#31 brvheart

brvheart

    I'm the best.

  • Members
  • 25,272 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Toyko, Japan
  • Interests:Playing in nuclear fallout.
  • Favorite Poker Game:I play 100/200 live with my best friend Jason.

Posted 17 February 2011 - 03:11 PM

View PostCaneBrain, on Thursday, February 17th, 2011, 4:00 PM, said:

no, no....their job is so important that they can't miss a few days of work to protest but not so important that they can't have their pay cut without giving any input. it's a fine line.
No one is cutting anyone's pay.

View PostiZuma, on 20 August 2012 - 11:32 AM, said:

napa I was jesus christing suited, you guys just slipped in before me.

View PostEssay21, on 25 February 2013 - 08:32 PM, said:

.

#32 Roll the Bones

Roll the Bones

    Poker Forum Veteran

  • Members
  • 2,727 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Rivendell

Posted 17 February 2011 - 03:13 PM

View Postbrvheart, on Thursday, February 17th, 2011, 6:10 PM, said:

Is this some sort of joke? They should be suspended for lying and skipping work. If it's a 2nd or 3rd offense, they should be fired instantly. That's what happens in the real world when you skip work. They have every right to not teach, and the school has every right to fire their lazy/greedy asses.
Yeah, it's them damn fruit pickers who started it all. How dare teachers want job security or a decent wages! We should make them live in shacks out in back of the school like a good ol' skool marm shud!
As Eric Idle wrote: You know, you come from nothing - you're going back to nothing. What have you lost? Nothing!

#33 CaneBrain

CaneBrain

    The chosen few....

  • Members
  • 14,896 posts
  • Location:The NFL Films Vault
  • Favorite Poker Game:5/10 NLHE (100 max buy in)

Posted 17 February 2011 - 03:17 PM

View Postbrvheart, on Thursday, February 17th, 2011, 6:11 PM, said:

No one is cutting anyone's pay.
if I was making $1300 a paycheck and then I was making $1000 a paycheck it's a pay-cut. I get my health insurance from work for free. If all of a sudden they started charging me $200 a paycheck, that would be a pay cut. Nice try at semantics (cue VB) though.and just LOL at the idea that these teachers should be suspended. You don't even know the structure of their days off----for all you know they are personal days and can be taken whenever. I seriously doubt "in the real world" that people are fired for taking a day or two off.
"Give a little bit.....give a little bit of your chips to me...."

#34 LongLiveYorke

LongLiveYorke

    Ending the world one proton at a time

  • Members
  • 8,356 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manhattan
  • Interests:fizziks, teh maths, Raid-o-head, Rod Reynolds

Posted 17 February 2011 - 03:34 PM

View Postbrvheart, on Thursday, February 17th, 2011, 6:10 PM, said:

Is this some sort of joke? They should be suspended for lying and skipping work. If it's a 2nd or 3rd offense, they should be fired instantly. That's what happens in the real world when you skip work. They have every right to not teach, and the school has every right to fire their lazy/greedy asses.
Which is exactly what I wrote in my next post so.... no, it's not a joke.

#35 loogie

loogie

    Chopped Liver

  • Members
  • 6,111 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Favorite Poker Game:fun poker pics :)

Posted 17 February 2011 - 03:43 PM

View Postbrvheart, on Thursday, February 17th, 2011, 6:02 PM, said:

Are you sure you used the correct word here?
So you think teachers are overpaid? Oh.

#36 Skeleton Jelly

Skeleton Jelly

    KOWTF

  • Members
  • 3,322 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 17 February 2011 - 03:46 PM

View Postloogie, on Thursday, February 17th, 2011, 3:43 PM, said:

So you think teachers are overpaid? Oh.
Maybe they get baby bear pay.Teachers pay vs median income

#37 vbnautilus

vbnautilus

    psychonaut

  • Members
  • 10,326 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:venice beach, ca

Posted 17 February 2011 - 03:47 PM

View PostCaneBrain, on Thursday, February 17th, 2011, 3:17 PM, said:

if I was making $1300 a paycheck and then I was making $1000 a paycheck it's a pay-cut. I get my health insurance from work for free. If all of a sudden they started charging me $200 a paycheck, that would be a pay cut. Nice try at semantics (cue VB) though.and just LOL at the idea that these teachers should be suspended. You don't even know the structure of their days off----for all you know they are personal days and can be taken whenever. I seriously doubt "in the real world" that people are fired for taking a day or two off.
Yeah they actually all took sick days.

#38 Skeleton Jelly

Skeleton Jelly

    KOWTF

  • Members
  • 3,322 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 17 February 2011 - 03:48 PM

View Postvbnautilus, on Thursday, February 17th, 2011, 3:47 PM, said:

Yeah they actually all took sick days.
Oh, so they're teaching the kids how to lie??? Outrageous!

#39 vbnautilus

vbnautilus

    psychonaut

  • Members
  • 10,326 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:venice beach, ca

Posted 17 February 2011 - 03:52 PM

View PostSkeleton Jelly, on Thursday, February 17th, 2011, 3:48 PM, said:

Oh, so they're teaching the kids how to lie??? Outrageous!
How do you know they weren't all sick?! I'm sick and tired of all the assumptions in this forum.

#40 Balloon guy

Balloon guy

    Deplorable Lives Matter

  • Members
  • 24,375 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:So Cal
  • Interests:Cigars, Flying, Golf, Bible
  • Favorite Poker Game:Golf

Posted 17 February 2011 - 04:04 PM

View PostCaneBrain, on Thursday, February 17th, 2011, 3:09 PM, said:

In Florida, they will take anyone with a pulse.
And pay them the same as a person with passion and excellence...
I use my cigar smoke as idiot repellent

The government was set to protect man from criminals - and the Constitution was written to protect man from the government. - Ayn Rand




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users