Balloon guy

Deplorable Lives Matter

• Members
  • 24,375 posts
  • Interests:Cigars, Flying, Golf, Bible
  • Favorite Poker Game:Golf

Posted 22 February 2011 - 11:24 AM

View PostSpademan, on Tuesday, February 22nd, 2011, 11:17 AM, said:

Actually, all the revolts that have followed Egypt (as rape-sh as that may have been) in Arab nations have given me a little hope that maybe they are ready to come out of the stone age as a people.
Your lips to God's ears.

Afghanistan however still has another hundred years in it, I'm afraid.
I was told by the general of the 29 Palms Marine base this just before the surge in Iraq. That the areas of responsibility that the UN was covering was almost completely untouched, and that his marines were going to have to go in and show the flag.He's left this post so I haven't heard of the follow up, but how do you deal with a country that only has war and opium as their main manufacturing jobs?
I use my cigar smoke as idiot repellent

The government was set to protect man from criminals - and the Constitution was written to protect man from the government. - Ayn Rand

#82 Spademan

Spademan

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 4,977 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 11:39 AM

View PostBalloon guy, on Tuesday, February 22nd, 2011, 12:24 PM, said:

but how do you deal with a country that only has war and opium as their main manufacturing jobs?
To be terse: like a child. Of course, in terms of a nation, that will take a good long while to take effect. Teaching a child is a one generation thing, teaching a nation is nowhere near as easy, especially when they are - sorry to bring religion into it given your superstitious nature - based on a religion that still carries an amazing amount of faith... the antithesis of reason.
'"Luck" is people taking the laws of probability personally; Luck is the excitement of bad math.'

#83 Balloon guy

Balloon guy

Deplorable Lives Matter

• Members
  • 24,375 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 11:43 AM

View PostSpademan, on Tuesday, February 22nd, 2011, 11:39 AM, said:

To be terse: like a child. Of course, in terms of a nation, that will take a good long while to take effect. Teaching a child is a one generation thing, teaching a nation is nowhere near as easy, especially when they are - sorry to bring religion into it given your superstitious nature - based on a religion that still carries an amazing amount of faith... the antithesis of reason.
The corruption of their faith would be a better description of the reason they are so backwards.Even false religions like Islam has a history of science philosophy and math. Except Scientology..they got nothing but snake oil and lies.

The government was set to protect man from criminals - and the Constitution was written to protect man from the government. - Ayn Rand

#84 brvheart

brvheart

I'm the best.

• Members
  • 25,272 posts
  • Interests:Playing in nuclear fallout.
  • Favorite Poker Game:I play 100/200 live with my best friend Jason.

Posted 22 February 2011 - 12:30 PM

View PostBalloon guy, on Tuesday, February 22nd, 2011, 1:43 PM, said:

Even false religions like Islam has a history of science philosophy and math. Except Scientology..they got nothing but snake oil and lies.
That sounds like Veterinary Medicine!!

View PostiZuma, on 20 August 2012 - 11:32 AM, said:

napa I was jesus christing suited, you guys just slipped in before me.

View PostEssay21, on 25 February 2013 - 08:32 PM, said:

#85 Balloon guy

Balloon guy

Deplorable Lives Matter

• Members
  • 24,375 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 12:41 PM

View Postbrvheart, on Tuesday, February 22nd, 2011, 12:30 PM, said:

That sounds like Veterinary Medicine!!
I think scientology is more expensive then even veterinary schools.

#86 timwakefield

timwakefield

I haven't got the time time

• Members
  • 14,413 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:Boxmaha

Posted 22 February 2011 - 10:07 PM

View PostLongLiveYorke, on Tuesday, February 22nd, 2011, 1:21 PM, said:

So sad to hear. Apparently the couple had been traveling the world for years, sightseeing and doing charitable work around the globe. I'm not sure why they stopped fearing the US. Last time, they were all killed on the stop. This time, only two were killed and 20 or so were captured. I wouldn't be too upset if those 20 or so pirates were "lost at sea" on their way to a US prison.
Apparently we're prosecuting, which surprised me because I would have thought we have little jurisdiction in the Indian Ocean. I expected them to end up in a non-existent CIA prison somewhere that doesn't exist. Regardless, Bitch-ass pirate sentenced to 33 years, in NYC.
Karl: She was a bit -- what's the word that you can use, cuz I don't wanna offend anyone?
Steve: Was she a homeless person?
Karl: Yeah but sort of mental homeless.

#87 akoff

akoff

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 1,942 posts
  • Interests:Golf, investing, Eagles football, golf, baseball, coaching Little League and golf
  • Favorite Poker Game:PLO

Posted 23 February 2011 - 03:09 AM

View Posttimwakefield, on Tuesday, February 22nd, 2011, 11:07 PM, said:

Apparently we're prosecuting, which surprised me because I would have thought we have little jurisdiction in the Indian Ocean. I expected them to end up in a non-existent CIA prison somewhere that doesn't exist. Regardless, Bitch-ass pirate sentenced to 33 years, in NYC.
That is a shame, one shot behind the ear is better for the budget.
"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America 's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the US Government cannot pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government's reckless fiscal policies. Increasing America 's debt weakens us domestically and internationally. Leadership means that, "the buck stops here.' Instead, Washington is shifting the burden of bad choices today onto the backs of our children and grandchildren. America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better."
~ Senator Barack H. Obama

#88 LongLiveYorke

LongLiveYorke

Ending the world one proton at a time

• Members
  • 8,356 posts
  • Interests:fizziks, teh maths, Raid-o-head, Rod Reynolds

Posted 23 February 2011 - 06:38 AM

View Postakoff, on Wednesday, February 23rd, 2011, 6:09 AM, said:

That is a shame, one shot behind the ear is better for the budget.
They're pirates. Make 'em walk the plank.

#89 Balloon guy

Balloon guy

Deplorable Lives Matter

• Members
  • 24,375 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 02:31 PM

While we are taking down the teacher's union, we should probably also take down some schools as a whole:

Columbia University students heckled a war hero during a town-hall meeting on whether ROTC should be allowed back on campus."Racist!" some students yelled at Anthony Maschek, a Columbia freshman and former Army staff sergeant awarded the Purple Heart after being shot 11 times in a firefight in northern Iraq in February 2008. Others hissed and booed the veteran.Maschek, 28, had bravely stepped up to the mike Tuesday at the meeting to issue an impassioned challenge to fellow students on their perceptions of the military."It doesn't matter how you feel about the war. It doesn't matter how you feel about fighting," said Maschek. "There are bad men out there plotting to kill you."Several students laughed and jeered the Idaho native, a 10th Mountain Division infantryman who spent two years at Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington recovering from grievous wounds.Maschek, who is studying economics, miraculously survived the insurgent attack in Kirkuk. In the hail of gunfire, he broke both legs and suffered wounds to his abdomen, arm and chest.He enrolled last August at the Ivy League school, where an increasingly ugly battle is unfolding over the 42-year military ban there.
I bet most of them are there on government loans.

#90 phlegm

phlegm

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 04:00 PM

View PostBalloon guy, on Tuesday, February 22nd, 2011, 11:24 AM, said:

Your lips to God's ears.I was told by the general of the 29 Palms Marine base this just before the surge in Iraq. That the areas of responsibility that the UN was covering was almost completely untouched, and that his marines were going to have to go in and show the flag.He's left this post so I haven't heard of the follow up, but how do you deal with a country that only has war and opium as their main manufacturing jobs?
Swearing allegiance to, and then overthrowing same, has been a national sport in that part of the world for millenia.
I am not an alcoholic

I am a drunk

Alcoholics go to meetings

#91 brvheart

brvheart

I'm the best.

• Members
  • 25,272 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 12:10 PM

http://online.wsj.co...3789314074.html

#92 El Guapo

El Guapo

Like A Boss!

• Members
  • 16,439 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 01:32 PM

View Postbrvheart, on Friday, March 4th, 2011, 12:10 PM, said:

I don't really listen to NPR, so I never thought about this before, but holy crap!! We are giving them $400MM a year to operate?

#93 timwakefield

timwakefield

I haven't got the time time

• Members
  • 14,413 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:Boxmaha

Posted 04 March 2011 - 01:46 PM

View PostEl Guapo, on Friday, March 4th, 2011, 4:32 PM, said:

I don't really listen to NPR, so I never thought about this before, but holy crap!! We are giving them $400MM a year to operate?
Of our $1.6 trillion deficit, I calculate that cutting NPR's $400m would reduce that deficit by .025%. All the way from $1.6T to $1.5996T.
Karl: She was a bit -- what's the word that you can use, cuz I don't wanna offend anyone?
Steve: Was she a homeless person?
Karl: Yeah but sort of mental homeless.

#94 El Guapo

El Guapo

Like A Boss!

• Members
  • 16,439 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 01:48 PM

View Posttimwakefield, on Friday, March 4th, 2011, 1:46 PM, said:

Of our $1.6 trillion deficit, I calculate that cutting NPR's $400m would reduce that deficit by .025%.
What does that have to do with the fact that they get any money at all?And if you want to talk about cutting the deficit you can't just all of the sudden lop of medicare, you have to cuts hundreds of smaller programs like this.

#95 CaneBrain

CaneBrain

The chosen few....

• Members
  • 14,896 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:5/10 NLHE (100 max buy in)

Posted 04 March 2011 - 02:01 PM

View PostEl Guapo, on Friday, March 4th, 2011, 4:48 PM, said:

What does that have to do with the fact that they get any money at all?And if you want to talk about cutting the deficit you can't just all of the sudden lop of medicare, you have to cuts hundreds of smaller programs like this.
I think the opposite is true; we are cutting hundreds of cheaper, useful programs while ignoring the real problems: SS, medicare and defense. You don't solve a large problem by attacking around the edges. You need to go to the heart of the matter so to speak.
"Give a little bit.....give a little bit of your chips to me...."

#96 El Guapo

El Guapo

Like A Boss!

• Members
  • 16,439 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 02:14 PM

View PostCaneBrain, on Friday, March 4th, 2011, 2:01 PM, said:

I think the opposite is true; we are cutting hundreds of cheaper, useful programs while ignoring the real problems: SS, medicare and defense. You don't solve a large problem by attacking around the edges. You need to go to the heart of the matter so to speak.
I don't disagree that those need to be attacked, but please explain to me how funding NPR is useful?

#97 CaneBrain

CaneBrain

The chosen few....

• Members
  • 14,896 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:5/10 NLHE (100 max buy in)

Posted 04 March 2011 - 02:31 PM

View PostEl Guapo, on Friday, March 4th, 2011, 5:14 PM, said:

I don't disagree that those need to be attacked, but please explain to me how funding NPR is useful?
It offers educational, cultural and arts programming at a reduced cost to many people. I would have no problem with them being required to put a ceiling on executive salaries as long as they receive public funds tho.
"Give a little bit.....give a little bit of your chips to me...."

#98 El Guapo

El Guapo

Like A Boss!

• Members
  • 16,439 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 03:02 PM

View PostCaneBrain, on Friday, March 4th, 2011, 2:31 PM, said:

It offers educational, cultural and arts programming at a reduced cost to many people.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA!Whoever said CaneBrain isn't funny is dead wrong!!

#99 brvheart

brvheart

I'm the best.

• Members
  • 25,272 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 03:22 PM

View PostEl Guapo, on Friday, March 4th, 2011, 5:02 PM, said:

Whoever said CaneBrain isn't funny is dead wrong!!
I apologize.

#100 El Guapo

El Guapo

Like A Boss!

• Members
  • 16,439 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 04:02 PM

View Postbrvheart, on Friday, March 4th, 2011, 3:22 PM, said:

I apologize.
It's too late to apologize, brvheart , it's too late

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users