AmScray, on Wednesday, April 18th, 2012, 9:31 PM, said:
No. That position relies on the premise that single payer Universal Healthcare leads to "empty promises" rather than "care for sick people". That is amusing, given, ya know... Every single example of a first world country that actually has it. (protip- isolated anecdotes involving complaints or terribly long lines in a State Health Service waiting room on January 18th, 2008 does not mean anything)
Except I already provided extensive documentation showing this is false. Nobody has provided ANY documentation to me showing that the US has a problem that even affects 1 in a million people.See, you can try to dismiss all those links are mere anecdotes, but I intentionally broke them up into anecdotal evidence and system evidence to preempt that exact objection. The list of systemic evidence is longer, and well-studied and documented.Nice try though.
Nope. You're trying to employ the "Communists Lament" - wherever a clear failing of your preferred system is ascribed to it "not being implemented right". For example, if you need emergency saline, the IV bag and pure saline might be billed at $110, whereas it would cost you $8 to purchase it on your own. Please, propose the "free market" alternative?
The free market alternative is that people who see this happening are allowed to build hospitals. Insurance companies are forced to compete across state lines and are free to not use specific providers.Since emergency treatment is less than 2% of our entire health care budget, the conscious choices made by the 98% will easily swamp any lingering effects of "emergency profiteering". Why don't ambulances charge a million dollars for a ride? Because they have competition. Why aren't prices for vision correction going up -- in fact they are dropping rapidly -- at the rate of other medical care? The training and equipment is basically similar. Shouldn't they, in the midst of surgery, just start saying "oh, we have to add these extra costs or you will go blind!"? Why don't they do that?
I mean, just how far up your ass will your head fit?
Not far enough to believe that the <2% of costs is a driver for the other 98%.
The for-profit healthcare system exploits moral precepts unique to human life that don't translate into free-market transacting of a commodity product. If your idealism is so thick you can't understand this, then there's really no 'explaining' it to you.
So answer the question: why doesn't Target charge $12 per Ibuprofin? Why don't hospitals just charge $1,000,000 for an Ibuprofen?You are just conveniently ignoring so much data while blindly accepting insane leftist dogma. Usually you are smarter than this, I'm not sure why you are so naive on this one.