1883 replies to this topic

#21 Skeleton Jelly

Skeleton Jelly

KOWTF

• Members
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:27 PM

View PostAmScray, on Wednesday, January 26th, 2011, 1:18 PM, said:

"Chicago Style Pizza" as classified by people not from Chicago is usually pan pizza- chiefly because that's how pan pizza gets marketed in ad campaigns whenever national chain pizzerias do a pan pizza product run- in spite of the fact that Chicago has a native thin-crust pizza that is more likely to be eaten by people who actually live in Chicago.
But isn't it marketed that way because the deep dish style was created in Chicago? I don't see how the native preferred pizza style has anything to do with it.

View PostAmScray, on Wednesday, January 26th, 2011, 1:18 PM, said:

Chicago Style Thin Crust is more accurately characterized as "Chicago Style Pizza" since pound for pound, more Chicagoans in Chicago eat that type of pizza over the pan pizza, which has come to be termed "Chicago Style Pizza" by people not from Chicago- and not because it *is* Chicago style pizza, but because they watch a lot of TV and TV says it is. It's one of those falsehoods that has been accepted as fact by a larger group of people than those who actually know the truth.
Is Chicago Style Thin Crust different than every other thin crust style?There was just no way this discussion wasn't going to be had once BG brought it up.And I think he knew this.

#22 FCP Bob

FCP Bob

Limit Holdem Dinosaur

• Root Admin
  • 26,841 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:29 PM

View PostAmScray, on Wednesday, January 26th, 2011, 4:18 PM, said:

Don't worry. Sometimes, I hate logic too."Chicago Style Pizza" as classified by people not from Chicago is usually pan pizza- chiefly because that's how pan pizza gets marketed in ad campaigns whenever national chain pizzerias do a pan pizza product run- in spite of the fact that Chicago has a native thin-crust pizza that is more likely to be eaten by people who actually live in Chicago.Chicago Style Thin Crust is more accurately characterized as "Chicago Style Pizza" since pound for pound, more Chicagoans in Chicago eat that type of pizza over the pan pizza, which has come to be termed "Chicago Style Pizza" by people not from Chicago- and not because it *is* Chicago style pizza, but because they watch a lot of TV and TV says it is. It's one of those falsehoods that has been accepted as fact by a larger group of people than those who actually know the truth.
What makes "Chicago Style" thin crust pizza unique ? The reason that most people think that deep dish is Chicago style pizza is that it's different than what most people in most places eat and is more available in Chicago than it is in other places.Just because more people eat thin crust pizza in Chicago doesn't really make thin crust "Chicago Style" does it ?
Bob

info@fullcontactpoker.com

#23 Voldemort

Voldemort

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 3,229 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:Owning Souls

Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:31 PM

View PostBalloon guy, on Wednesday, January 26th, 2011, 4:19 PM, said:

and World Peace
Posted Image

#24 FCP Bob

FCP Bob

Limit Holdem Dinosaur

• Root Admin
  • 26,841 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:31 PM

View PostSkeleton Jelly, on Wednesday, January 26th, 2011, 4:27 PM, said:

But isn't it marketed that way because the deep dish style was created in Chicago? I don't see how the native preferred pizza style has anything to do with it.Is Chicago Style Thin Crust different than every other thin crust style?There was just no way this discussion wasn't going to be had once BG brought it up.And I think he knew this.

View PostFCP Bob, on Wednesday, January 26th, 2011, 4:29 PM, said:

What makes "Chicago Style" thin crust pizza unique ? The reason that most people think that deep dish is Chicago style pizza is that it's different than what most people in most places eat and is more available in Chicago than it is in other places.Just because more people eat thin crust pizza in Chicago doesn't really make thin crust "Chicago Style" does it ?
You being faster is one of the reasons why you're KOOT and I was drubbed in the first round.
Bob

info@fullcontactpoker.com

#25 Balloon guy

Balloon guy

Deplorable Lives Matter

• Members
  • 24,375 posts
  • Interests:Cigars, Flying, Golf, Bible
  • Favorite Poker Game:Golf

Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:33 PM

Posted Image
I use my cigar smoke as idiot repellent

The government was set to protect man from criminals - and the Constitution was written to protect man from the government. - Ayn Rand

#26 FYP

FYP

Poker Forum Regular

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:49 PM

View PostAmScray, on Wednesday, January 26th, 2011, 1:48 PM, said:

Most people don't know what the "sentencing guidelines" are for "parole violation" - so, asking this question in an open and abstract way will almost invariably result in a "YES! MORE!" answer- which is precisely why there are people serving decades in prisons for simple possession of drugs, etc, etc. I choose my original(now an unoriginal form of pig-latin(I would have prefered Fikonspråket but I'm the only one smart enough to get that reference)due to the overzealous censorship issues of the MAN) forum name based on an ankle bracelet some parolees are forced to wear. So you know.....I know shit.
FYP
The plot is very good and it usually keeps the views interested and on the edge of his seat.

#27 vbnautilus

vbnautilus

psychonaut

• Members
  • 10,326 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:50 PM

View PostSkeleton Jelly, on Wednesday, January 26th, 2011, 1:27 PM, said:

But isn't it marketed that way because the deep dish style was created in Chicago? I don't see how the native preferred pizza style has anything to do with it.
Yes. It was created by Ike Sewell (or possibly his chef Rudy Malnati) in 1943 at Pizzeria Uno in Chicago. However, they become a huge franchise and marketed the shit out of it.

Is Chicago Style Thin Crust different than every other thin crust style?

View PostFCP Bob, on Wednesday, January 26th, 2011, 1:29 PM, said:

What makes "Chicago Style" thin crust pizza unique ? The reason that most people think that deep dish is Chicago style pizza is that it's different than what most people in most places eat and is more available in Chicago than it is in other places.
It can be argued that Chicago has a thin-crust tradition that it can call its own. Supposedly the crust is crispier than a typical NY pizza. Has a crunch to it.

#28 Skeleton Jelly

Skeleton Jelly

KOWTF

• Members
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:54 PM

View Postvbnautilus, on Wednesday, January 26th, 2011, 1:50 PM, said:

It can be argued that Chicago has a thin-crust tradition that it can call its own. Supposedly the crust is crispier than a typical NY pizza. Has a crunch to it.
But isn't that the original Italian style?

#29 vbnautilus

vbnautilus

psychonaut

• Members
  • 10,326 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 02:00 PM

View PostSkeleton Jelly, on Wednesday, January 26th, 2011, 1:54 PM, said:

But isn't that the original Italian style?
No!The original Italian style is very different from what we are used to after over 100 years of parallel evolution. The closest to that you can get to the original Napoli-style pizza in the US is at Lombardi's in NY. That was basically the first pizzeria established in the US and the pizza hasn't changed much. Compare, Naples pizza: Posted ImageLombardi's in NYC:Posted Imagemodern NY Pizza (Joe's on Bleeker):Posted ImageChicago-style thin crust: Posted ImageOne of the main things we have gotten away form is the blobs of mozzarella, in favor of shredded mozzarella which covers the whole dough.

#30 GWCGWC

GWCGWC

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 14,657 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 02:07 PM

I thought I preferred NY style pizza and it turns out Chicago thin crust is the best type of pizza.

#31 ShakeZuma

ShakeZuma

A hot and bothered astronaut

• Members
  • 14,680 posts
  • Interests:Basket weaving, gardening, BDSM

Posted 26 January 2011 - 02:16 PM

we primarily eat thin crust pizza in virginia so I'm pretty sure it should be called virginia style pizza.edit: how bout a poll on how many times a day people poop.

View PostAmScray, on 30 August 2010 - 12:41 PM, said:

one cannot possibly ascribe themselves to the larger (D) philosophy without first being a poon

#32 Balloon guy

Balloon guy

Deplorable Lives Matter

• Members
  • 24,375 posts
  • Interests:Cigars, Flying, Golf, Bible
  • Favorite Poker Game:Golf

Posted 26 January 2011 - 04:19 PM

In order to maintain some semblance of scientific reality to these polls, we need a time frame that they must stay up, or a minimum votes required.Since any changes to the poll questions by the OP will wipe clean the current polls.I suggest having each poll be up for a minimum of 4 hours, and or 20 people vote on it.that should give us plenty of coverage to maintain a +/- rate of around 42%
I use my cigar smoke as idiot repellent

The government was set to protect man from criminals - and the Constitution was written to protect man from the government. - Ayn Rand

#33 Skeleton Jelly

Skeleton Jelly

KOWTF

• Members
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 04:27 PM

View PostBalloon guy, on Wednesday, January 26th, 2011, 4:19 PM, said:

In order to maintain some semblance of scientific reality to these polls, we need a time frame that they must stay up, or a minimum votes required.Since any changes to the poll questions by the OP will wipe clean the current polls.I suggest having each poll be up for a minimum of 4 hours, and or 20 people vote on it.that should give us plenty of coverage to maintain a +/- rate of around 42%
I was just going to leave them up overnight figuring that would give the "regulars" a chance to vote whether they are daytime or nighttime posters. But I do appreciate that people are probably really itching to get to Shake's poop poll.

#34 Tiltinagain

Tiltinagain

Every village has it's idiot. Welcome to our village.

• Members
  • 6,027 posts
  • Interests:Poker, gun dog training, fishing, upland hunting, not dying from Lymphoma. Not necessarily in that order.
  • Favorite Poker Game:Liquor in the front. Poker in the rear

Posted 26 January 2011 - 04:36 PM

View PostBalloon guy, on Wednesday, January 26th, 2011, 1:19 PM, said:

and World Peace
Yeah, I didn't read all that either.

View PostJubilantLankyLad, on 23 October 2015 - 04:24 PM, said:

Go to hell, brvy.

View Postfrautotenkinder, on 22 May 2014 - 09:20 PM, said:

I am not comfortable with vaginas and lunch meats being in the same metaphor. Anything besides saying or implying that is an improvement.

speedz99 said:

Fine...when god dies, I'll be ok with people being upset on facebook.

#35 CaneBrain

CaneBrain

The chosen few....

• Members
  • 14,896 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:5/10 NLHE (100 max buy in)

Posted 26 January 2011 - 04:47 PM

Pizza in Italy >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Pizza in America.The differences between the various American versions of pizza are inconsequential.
"Give a little bit.....give a little bit of your chips to me...."

#36 ajs510

ajs510

Resident Evil

• Members
  • 24,991 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 05:05 PM

View PostCaneBrain, on Wednesday, January 26th, 2011, 7:47 PM, said:

Pizza in Italy >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Pizza in America.The differences between the various American versions of pizza are inconsequential.
You're inconsequential. FACE. <grin>

#37 AmScray

AmScray

Honk

• Members
  • 4,005 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:wrhsf235yu

Posted 26 January 2011 - 09:11 PM

View PostSkeleton Jelly, on Wednesday, January 26th, 2011, 1:27 PM, said:

Yes, deep dish pizza was created in Chicago, but so was Chicago style thin crust...

Is Chicago Style Thin Crust different than every other thin crust style?
Yes. It's thinner and crispier. It's more likely to be rolled in flour rather than tossed with oil which has a pretty significant impact on how the finished product comes out. Also, the sausage is pretty different.
Posted Image

#38 AmScray

AmScray

Honk

• Members
  • 4,005 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:wrhsf235yu

Posted 26 January 2011 - 09:12 PM

View PostFYP, on Wednesday, January 26th, 2011, 1:49 PM, said:

FYP
You speculated, but you speculated wrong. I have worn an ankle bracelet, though, but never one of those and that wasn't what my screen name was based on.
Posted Image

#39 Voldemort

Voldemort

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 3,229 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:Owning Souls

Posted 26 January 2011 - 09:16 PM

View PostAmScray, on Thursday, January 27th, 2011, 12:11 AM, said:

Also, the sausage is pretty different.
This is the biggest difference to me.

#40 SAM_Hard8

SAM_Hard8

Mr. Aniston, FCP Right Wing Whacko

• Members
  • 29,584 posts
  • Interests:Jennifer Aniston
  • Favorite Poker Game:NLH

Posted 26 January 2011 - 10:13 PM

are Polish jokes racist?
My blog
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
- Groucho Marx

QUOTE (Mercury69 @ Monday, December 20th, 2010, 5:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Aren't we all just parasites living on God's frozen turdballs anyway? Every time God takes a shit, a new galaxy is born. The Milky Way is just a bad case of diarrhea.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users