725 replies to this topic

#1 MapleLeafpoker

MapleLeafpoker

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 17,884 posts
  • Interests:Poker, Hockey, Hockey pools

Posted 24 January 2011 - 11:09 AM

I didnt know where to put this, so figured start a thread. In my high roller pool, looks like Im gonna have to start looking at player for next year. Goalies can be quite important in this pool, so I am currently debating making one of 3 trades, and each has a similar cost to me. So I ask you, who would you rather have:1. Halak2. Price 3. Malkin+Lehner on farmHalak I would get the cheapest, and for 3 years.Price is slightly more expensive, and for 2 years.Malkin is only for next year, but Lehner could conceivably be 6years.categories: W, GAA, minutesplayer: g,a,pts,pims,+/-Question to you guys:who is better next year, Halak or Price?will Malkin be top 3/4 again? Im really leaning towards Halak because of contract, but is there ANY chance he isnt the starter next year? This latest swoon concerns me.Input is appreciated.

#2 serge

serge

Leafs nation Grand Poobah

• Members
  • 48,773 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 11:12 AM

Buy low sell high..Malkin very low..Halak and Price pretty high..IMO..So go with Malkin..Lot of people are down on him.
Owner of the Mustangs, 2014-2015 AHL Eastern Division Champs

Lets make America Great Again. Trump 2016

#3 Babying

Babying

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 10,458 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 11:46 AM

I would also go with Malkin.Buy low and sell high is a great idea. Unfortunately I never am able to do it.

#4 Dubey

Dubey

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 10,912 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 12:02 PM

Depends.If your main goal in this trade is to acquire a stud goalie, then definitely go with one of the first two. Lehner is far from a sure bet, and is probably years away from reaching his potential.I'd go with Halak, because he is cheaper, and you get him for an extra year. I really like what Price has done this year though.

#5 serge

serge

• Members
  • 48,773 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 12:03 PM

Do you guys think Malkin is just having an off year?

#6 Babying

Babying

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 10,458 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 12:04 PM

View Postserge, on Monday, January 24th, 2011, 3:03 PM, said:

Yes most definite.

#7 MapleLeafpoker

MapleLeafpoker

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 17,884 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 12:13 PM

View PostDubey, on Monday, January 24th, 2011, 3:02 PM, said:

Depends.If your main goal in this trade is to acquire a stud goalie, then definitely go with one of the first two. Lehner is far from a sure bet, and is probably years away from reaching his potential.I'd go with Halak, because he is cheaper, and you get him for an extra year. I really like what Price has done this year though.
Is there any chance that Halak is a bust by next year? Well, I guess "any" exists, but I hate the thought of trading for a possible backup, or the next starter to lose his job.

#8 MapleLeafpoker

MapleLeafpoker

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 17,884 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 12:15 PM

View Postserge, on Monday, January 24th, 2011, 3:03 PM, said:

yes. I do belive he will be amongst the top5 again next year.But in this trade, Im only getting 1year of Malkin, and getting multiple years of Halak, which will allow me to trade Halak this time next year to whoever is playing for the future then. That, along with the value of gtd in this pool (15poolies, 3gtd spots ea), make this an obv Halak trade. Just Lehner is a gtd I like too. And Price is my other possible alternative.

#9 Dubey

Dubey

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 10,912 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 12:47 PM

I'd say the chances that Halak is not the started in St. Louis next season are incredibly slim. Barring Injury, STL is going to ride Halak for as long as they can. They have invested too much into him to give up on him, regardless how long this 'slump' lasts.

#10 digitalmonkey

digitalmonkey

Unenjoyable Annoying Retard

• Members
  • 37,748 posts
  • Interests:sports, music, movies, photography
  • Favorite Poker Game:Hi/Lo Chicago

Posted 24 January 2011 - 01:39 PM

I'd go with Halak. His contract makes him the best option. Also, he's on a good young team.
Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous.

#11 Fenxis

Fenxis

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 4,934 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 01:59 PM

Malkin is only for next year, but Lehner could conceivably be 6years.categories: W, GAA, minutesplayer: g,a,pts,pims,+/-
The Senators can go in a million directions next year but this is known: a. they will have a ton of cap July 1st b. they will be more aggressive in bringing up rookiesc. Leclaire is goned. Elliot doesn't have the stamina to be a #1e. Lehner is only 19 -- but hasn't been all that amazing at the WJC U20sIf I had to guess... if the team can get a quality starter they will go that route (and let Lehner develop in the AHL)
"@sergetoronto Bang-up analysis there" -- James Mirtle

#12 serge

serge

• Members
  • 48,773 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 02:31 PM

In my NFGHL my prize possession is Brayden Schenn.What do you guys think is his ceiling?Is he a solid 60 pts player, or is there a chance he can become a 80-100 pt star?

#13 MapleLeafpoker

MapleLeafpoker

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 17,884 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 02:52 PM

View PostFenxis, on Monday, January 24th, 2011, 4:59 PM, said:

If I had to guess... if the team can get a quality starter they will go that route (and let Lehner develop in the AHL)
I agree with your thinking, I cant seem them passing the reigns onto a 19/20yr old.and thanks! I really appreciate the hometown viewpoint/info.

#14 MapleLeafpoker

MapleLeafpoker

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 17,884 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 02:56 PM

View Postserge, on Monday, January 24th, 2011, 5:31 PM, said:

In my NFGHL my prize possession is Brayden Schenn.What do you guys think is his ceiling?Is he a solid 60 pts player, or is there a chance he can become a 80-100 pt star?
I think he's got a shot at 80. I dont think he's 100, but I like his chances of being a 70-80.Just probably wont be for 3-4yrs.

#15 MapleLeafpoker

MapleLeafpoker

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 17,884 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 10:01 AM

I went with Halak. I only mention it, because if you have him in any pools, get rid of him now. Im the number 13 wearing black cat of hockey pools this year. I got a lot riding on you Mr.Halak and the St.Louis Blues. 11-12 better be your year.

#16 mrdannyg

mrdannyg

Cheese Salesman

• Members
  • 20,266 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 12:50 PM

View PostMapleLeafpoker, on Wednesday, February 2nd, 2011, 2:01 PM, said:

I went with Halak. I only mention it, because if you have him in any pools, get rid of him now. Im the number 13 wearing black cat of hockey pools this year. I got a lot riding on you Mr.Halak and the St.Louis Blues. 11-12 better be your year.
I had a similar decision recently, and stuck with Halak. I had less of an option, since my return on the other guys was lower. Oh well, picked up Brodeur on waivers (!?!?) and traded him back to the guy who dropped him for Kessel/Dustin Brown.
Long signatures are really annoying.

#17 digitalmonkey

digitalmonkey

• Members
  • 37,748 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 12:50 PM

View PostMapleLeafpoker, on Wednesday, February 2nd, 2011, 1:01 PM, said:

Getting Oshie, Perron and McDonald all back from injury can't hurt.
Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous.

#18 MapleLeafpoker

MapleLeafpoker

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 17,884 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 01:50 PM

View Postdigitalmonkey, on Wednesday, February 2nd, 2011, 3:50 PM, said:

Getting Oshie, Perron and McDonald all back from injury can't hurt.
I bet someone $100 on StLouis to make the playoffs at the start of the year. I was recently given 2-1 by that same person if I put another $100 on the line for this year.sooo tempted to take it, Im really suprised they arent winning more games, even with the injuries. With Oshie back, and McD close, Im thinking they still might.

#19 Mercury69

Mercury69

Half man! Half man!

• Members
  • 14,244 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:NLHE

Posted 02 February 2011 - 02:00 PM

View Postserge, on Monday, January 24th, 2011, 5:31 PM, said:

View PostMapleLeafpoker, on Monday, January 24th, 2011, 5:56 PM, said:

I think he's got a shot at 80. I dont think he's 100, but I like his chances of being a 70-80.Just probably wont be for 3-4yrs.
^^^ This, given what I saw in the WJC. 100+ in that timeframe if he gets quality linemates
"We had all the momentum. We were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look west, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark, that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back." —Raoul Duke, Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas

"Those are brave men knocking at the door. Let's go and kill them!" - Tyrion Lannister

#20 digitalmonkey

digitalmonkey

• Members
  • 37,748 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 02:06 PM

View PostMercury69, on Wednesday, February 2nd, 2011, 5:00 PM, said:

^^^ This, given what I saw in the WJC. 100+ in that timeframe if he gets quality linemates
I wish I had Brayden Schenn to trade.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users