24 replies to this topic

#21 emineric

emineric

Poker Forum Regular

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 12 June 2005 - 10:55 PM

extempore said:

but don't let huge gaps in your knowledge stop you from forming strong opinions.
quite possibly the funniest line i've ever read...........in my life...........ever!ps ever!!pps grow the beard back brother.

#22 Spademan

Spademan

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 4,977 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 08:28 PM

The shaggy beard, mountain man, jersey style is all over that stuffy clean shaven/suit look. And the "gaps in your knowledge" line was pretty funny.
'"Luck" is people taking the laws of probability personally; Luck is the excitement of bad math.'

#23 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2005 - 06:32 AM

Absolute said:

This is interesting to me personally because Haralabos studies Philosophy (as do I). Paul, for whatever reason, probably arbitrary, has never struck me as being someone with much interest in Philosophy. Perhaps that has to do with my own misconceptions of associating idealism with philosophy, and Paul's views seem very rooted in reason and mathematics.That's all beside the point now, as I would be interested to know if Paul has similar interests (educationally) with Haralabos, and what philosophers or fields of philosophy are interesting to him.
Until the advent of modern science, mathematics was taught as a branch of philosophy. In fact, if you pursue studies in philosophy, one of the first required courses will be one in logic and reasoning (if x then y, if and only if, etc.). One analogy I have heard about the relation between mathematics and philosophy can be best described by a story a college philosophy professor told the class:A bunch of kids meet every Sunday morning to play baseball in a field in the neighborhood. There is a tree in the middle of the field that is ignored until inevitably one day a pop fly hits the tree stopping the outfielder from being able to catch it. A huge argument erupts, trying to determine whether the play should be considered an out, or an automatic double. Finally they decide its an out, and will always be an out in future situations.The argument is an exercise in philosophy (a discussion of what the rules are or should be) and the result is math (the resultant universally excepted logic).So by definition, all mathematicians are philosophers.

#24 elkang

elkang

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 1,615 posts
  • Interests:working my way up the poker ladder (but first trying to make it a better scene)

Posted 28 June 2005 - 09:02 AM

wow. I get it now, Absolute and Jackal are both stupid college kids.

#25 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2005 - 09:09 AM

elkang said:

wow. I get it now, Absolute and Jackal are both stupid college kids.
College is thankfully long done. Luckily I was able to pay off all my loans with playchips accumulated while playing at PokerStars. I'll save you some time buddy, new signature just for you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users