Balloon guy

Deplorable Lives Matter

• Members
  • 24,409 posts
  • Interests:Cigars, Flying, Golf, Bible
  • Favorite Poker Game:Golf

Posted 27 September 2010 - 10:40 PM

View Postantistuff, on Monday, September 27th, 2010, 10:37 PM, said:

who cares about dogs when there are retards driving around in SUVs trying to kill everything in their way. why the hell does somebody who lives in an urban area need an SUV if it isnt to try and mow me down when i just want to ride my bike?
If I am in an accident in an SUV, I walk away.
I use my cigar smoke as idiot repellent

Most bad government has come out of too much government. Thomas Jefferson

#22 antistuff

antistuff

monotonously monotonous

• Members
  • 5,466 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 11:12 PM

View PostBalloon guy, on Tuesday, September 28th, 2010, 2:40 AM, said:

If I am in an accident in an SUV, I walk away.
lots of people get into all sorts of very deadly accidents stuck in traffic in the middle on manhattan i am sure. and anyway, dont you mean drive away?
QUOTE ( Barry Greenstein)
Successful gamblers are compulsive winners.

#23 Balloon guy

Balloon guy

Deplorable Lives Matter

• Members
  • 24,409 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 11:45 PM

View Postantistuff, on Tuesday, September 28th, 2010, 12:12 AM, said:

lots of people get into all sorts of very deadly accidents stuck in traffic in the middle on manhattan i am sure. and anyway, dont you mean drive away?
It is considered impolite to 'drive away' with a Prius stuck under your fender.At least until the coroner finishes.

#24 AmScray

AmScray

Honk

• Members
  • 4,005 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:wrhsf235yu

Posted 27 September 2010 - 11:49 PM

View Postantistuff, on Monday, September 27th, 2010, 9:37 PM, said:

why the hell does somebody who lives in an urban area need an SUV if it isnt to try and mow me down when i just want to ride my bike?
Because it pisses off people like you.... and maybe, yeah. To mow you down, too.
Posted Image

#25 Balloon guy

Balloon guy

Deplorable Lives Matter

• Members
  • 24,409 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 11:52 PM

View PostAmScray, on Tuesday, September 28th, 2010, 12:49 AM, said:

Because it pisses off people like you.... and maybe, yeah. To mow you down, too.
Plus, do you know how hard it is to hold a steady aim in a 4 cylinder?Drive Bys gotta fly.

#26 antistuff

antistuff

monotonously monotonous

• Members
  • 5,466 posts

View PostAmScray, on Tuesday, September 28th, 2010, 3:49 AM, said:

i think i feel...flattered...

#27 AmScray

AmScray

Honk

• Members
  • 4,005 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:wrhsf235yu

Nature doesn't lie. Not all living creatures have the same temperament, abilities, intelligence, etc. To be sure, upbringing can play a significant role in the outcome, but nature isn't exactly sitting quietly in the background, either and just because the general species might be OK, it doesn't mean that variants amongst it can't be identifiably troublesome as a subgroup.
Posted Image

#28 SlapStick

SlapStick

I'll be glad to see you later

• Members
  • 3,698 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:Live

Posted 28 September 2010 - 01:28 AM

View PostPot Odds RAC, on Monday, September 27th, 2010, 9:39 PM, said:

Dog Bites Man, which isn't even news since according to the CDC it happens over 4.5 million times a year in America.When the terms SUV, Handgun, or Pit Bull are used in the headlines it is not to provide additional details, it is to provoke an emotional reaction to get people to read the story. This is borderline demagoguery.
This is stupid. Pit Bulls are infamous for attacking and have certain laws just for them(in my country anyway) and are known for violence; I see nothing wrong with using "pit bull" in a headline. And they obviously aren't just biting if there is a story about it.

View PostBalloon guy, on Tuesday, September 28th, 2010, 12:00 AM, said:

Lead a team of rescuers to a fallen hiker..they forget all about you other than some picture in a thing called a paper you can't read anyway.Keep thieves from stealing your life savings and harming your family, here's some food.But you just maul one kid....
Jake got a medal http://news.sky.com/...ack_In_Coventry
Luck123: Hi everyone :)
Ziigmund: f u luck

My favourite thread in the whole wide world
http://www.fullcontactpoker.com/poker-foru...howtopic=126798

#29 strategy

strategy

Internet expert

• Members
  • 15,932 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:strategy

Posted 28 September 2010 - 02:30 AM

View PostAmScray, on Tuesday, September 28th, 2010, 2:52 AM, said:

Nature doesn't lie. Not all living creatures have the same temperament, abilities, intelligence, etc. To be sure, upbringing can play a significant role in the outcome, but nature isn't exactly sitting quietly in the background, either and just because the general species might be OK, it doesn't mean that variants amongst it can't be identifiably troublesome as a subgroup.
who else was waiting for this post?I am just tickled to see it here.
QUOTE (ShakeZuma @ Wednesday, November 2nd, 2011, 4:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
seriously though, with that grammar it's really like, I mean it doesn't bother me as much that she gets beat, you know?

#30 SweetDee

SweetDee

Poker Forum Nut

• Members
  • 395 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:No Limit Hold em

Posted 28 September 2010 - 04:57 AM

View PostAmScray, on Tuesday, September 28th, 2010, 12:52 AM, said:

This is not about dogs, and it's awesome. At work a guy was looking at a gun magazine and I said, "Hey, I have been thinking about getting something like that, which ones do you buy to shoot black people?" The look on his face was priceless.Thankfully, people get me, or I would have been fired long ago.
Don't you guys think that the puncher probably just mistook Snookers for a mean little goblin? Like, he was all drunk and it was dark and some goblin starts yelling at him, he was probably like, oh shit there's a monster in the club!, and then he just reacted without thinking and punched a bitch.- Tim Wakefield

#31 Pot Odds RAC

Pot Odds RAC

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 7,172 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:Live NL TxHE

Posted 28 September 2010 - 07:43 AM

View PostSlapStick, on Tuesday, September 28th, 2010, 5:28 AM, said:

This is stupid. Pit Bulls are infamous for attacking and have certain laws just for them(in my country anyway) and are known for violence; I see nothing wrong with using "pit bull" in a headline. And they obviously aren't just biting if there is a story about it.Jake got a medal http://news.sky.com/...ack_In_Coventry
What is "stupid" is that the breed specific ban in the UK had ZERO effect on the number of reported dog bites. They are "infamous" and "known for violence" because of the over reporting of the breed and ignorance of people who think they know something about the dogs.

#32 vbnautilus

vbnautilus

psychonaut

• Members
  • 10,326 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 08:12 AM

View PostPot Odds RAC, on Tuesday, September 28th, 2010, 8:43 AM, said:

What is "stupid" is that the breed specific ban in the UK had ZERO effect on the number of reported dog bites. They are "infamous" and "known for violence" because of the over reporting of the breed and ignorance of people who think they know something about the dogs.
There is certainly over-reporting, but that does not account for the disproportionate amount of violence this class of dogs is responsible for.

#33 Pot Odds RAC

Pot Odds RAC

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 7,172 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 08:15 AM

View Postvbnautilus, on Monday, September 27th, 2010, 10:44 PM, said:

Yeah but the research shows that a disproportionate amount of deaths and bites come from pit bulls. A CDC study found that over a 24-year period about 1/3 of all dog-related deaths were from "pit bulls." Pit bulls and rottweilers together account for the majority of fatalities. I don't think there were any poodle-related fatalities in the same time period.
Disproportionate? If you are talking about this data:http://wonder.cdc.go...23/m0047723.aspI haven't seen any quantitative statistics that can lead to that conclusion. Even the CDC are very careful to not draw that conclusion. They acknowledge that there is a great difference between "frequency of attacks" and "likelihood to attack".The CDC specifically states that their data can't support the conclusion of "Disproportionate" attacks for a specific breed:

To definitively determine whether certain breeds are disproportionately represented, breed-specific fatality rates should be calculated. The numerator for such rates requires complete ascertainment of deaths and an accurate determination of the breed involved, and the denominator requires reliable breed-specific population data (i.e., number of deaths involving a given breed divided by number of dogs of that breed). However, such denominator data are not available, and official registration or licensing data cannot be used because owners of certain breeds may be less likely than those owning other breeds to register or license their animals
Over the period from 1979 thru 1996 there were a total of 279 deaths from dogs. Yes 60 of them were "Pit Bulls" and 10 more from "Pit Bull Crossbreed". In 1993 thru 1996 Rottweilers were involved in more than twice as many fatalities than Pit Bulls.According to the CDC there are over 4.5 million reported dog bites each year in America. Generally the only ones that make headlines are the ones involving "Pit" breeds (H is correct that there is no AKC recognized breed of "Pit Bull", but the UK does recognize the breed "American Pit Bull"). There are 55 million dogs in the US. When you are making sweeping conclusions about millions of dogs based on a VERY small sample, several incidents a year, the numbers don't make me conclude that there is a breed specific issue nor an epidemic level of events.In the US each day there are about as many accidental drownings as there are fatal dog bites in an entire year - over 140 times as many people die in swimming pools (567 in 2000) than from pit bull bites. There were more deaths in 2000 from being bitten or crushed by reptiles (31) than all dog bites combined (26). Let me say that again, there were more deaths by Reptiles than ALL dogs in 2000. I mean there were about as many deaths from hot tap water (55) in a single year as there were deaths from pit bulls over the 18 years of that study.

#34 vbnautilus

vbnautilus

psychonaut

• Members
  • 10,326 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 08:49 AM

The CDC study cannot make claims about likelihood of attack because they did not measure the proportion of dog breeds present in the population. But the only way these data do not mean disproportionate involvement of pit bulls is if 30% of dogs in the US are pit bulls. Do you think they are?And really, the swimming pool thing? Don't you think more people come in contact with swimming pools than pit bulls? The number of people who die at some unrelated activity is supposed to make Pitt bulls look docile?

#35 Pot Odds RAC

Pot Odds RAC

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 7,172 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 08:51 AM

View Postvbnautilus, on Tuesday, September 28th, 2010, 12:49 PM, said:

The CDC study cannot make claims about likelihood of attack because they did not measure the proportion of dog breeds present in the population. But the only way these data do not mean disproportionate involvement of pit bulls is if 30% of dogs in the US are pit bulls. Do you think they are?
In highly populated areas where most dog related fatalities occur, there is a large proportion of Pit Breed dogs. This in itself could explain why "Pit" tops the list of Dog Related Fatalities. But again when we are only talking about a dozen or so incidents every year, it is difficult to draw any breed specific conclusions.

#36 vbnautilus

vbnautilus

psychonaut

• Members
  • 10,326 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 08:55 AM

View PostPot Odds RAC, on Tuesday, September 28th, 2010, 9:51 AM, said:

In highly populated areas where most dog related fatalities occur, there is a large proportion of Pit Breed dogs. This in itself could explain why "Pit" tops the list of Dog Related Fatalities. But again when we are only talking about a dozen or so incidents every year, it is difficult to draw any breed specific conclusions.
Were talking about hundreds of deaths over a 24 year period, a third of which were from pit bulls. I like to see some evidence that they are safe. Or is your feeling more from personal experience with an individual dog?

#37 Skeleton Jelly

Skeleton Jelly

KOWTF

• Members
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 08:56 AM

Dog attack statsWhy are we only talking about fatalities anyway?

#38 antistuff

antistuff

monotonously monotonous

• Members
  • 5,466 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 09:02 AM

View Postvbnautilus, on Tuesday, September 28th, 2010, 12:55 PM, said:

Were talking about hundreds of deaths over a 24 year period, a third of which were from pit bulls. I like to see some evidence that they are safe. Or is your feeling more from personal experience with an individual dog?
not so factual but somebodys opinion who deals with this every day. my sister has worked as a vet technician for a few years now. she has said that while some pit bulls are sweet, she has seen them freak out what feels very randomly and does not trust them.but interestingly enough twice animals have sent her to the hospital from there. they were both cats. could be because dogs have her more on guard though.edit: im also not sure why i quoted that to say that.

#39 vbnautilus

vbnautilus

psychonaut

• Members
  • 10,326 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 09:03 AM

View PostSkeleton Jelly, on Tuesday, September 28th, 2010, 9:56 AM, said:

Dog attack statsWhy are we only talking about fatalities anyway?
Because the CDC study concerns fatalities, and unlike many other studies (including the one you posted), does not rely on press reports. RAC is saying that the press is over-reporting, so statistics based on press reports don't help us.

#40 vbnautilus

vbnautilus

psychonaut

• Members
  • 10,326 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 09:05 AM

I live in a place where these dogs pose a persistent danger to me. It's pretty clear that the guys who own them want the most aggressive, violent dogs possible. I don't actually care very much whether they are achieving this through training or through breeding, although I'm sure its both (why would they not use breeding?). I'm curious how RAC and henry would propose we deal with this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users