Jump to content


Worst/best Fans In Baseball


  • Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#1 GeneralGeeWhiz

GeneralGeeWhiz

    Go Niners

  • Members
  • 5,191 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cupertino/Garden City, CA
  • Interests:mtt bubbles, girls, fast cars and golf.
  • Favorite Poker Game:mtt bubbles

Posted 03 September 2010 - 07:19 PM

i've been thinking about this for a few days and want your guys opinion. this list doesn't mean every fan of the teams i list is bad, but in general. and ill list my top 5 fan bases.WORST:1) Dodgers - arrive in the third, leave by the sixth. and when they're not in contention there are one fan for every five seats. im watching the giants @ dodgers game atm and they're many open seats.2) Rays - The Rays have made the WS, and have the second best record in baseball and they draw 19k fans on average. i know their ballpark sucks, but come on.3) Braves - back in the 90s when they won the division 14 straight years, they couldnt sell out NLCS games. come on people, thats freaking sad. and one WS home game you didnt sell out! how is that possible?4) Red Sox - johnny damon helped break the 86 year curse and he gets booed and batteries thrown at him. classy boston. 5) Marlins - you guys have won 2 world series and sell dozens of tickets a game. sad.BEST: 1) Cardinals - Cardinal fans will give a standing ovation for a great play, for either team. some of the smartest fans in any sport. too bad you guys are in the armpit of america.2) Yankees - i cant stand the yankees, but they have one of the highest attendance averages every season.3) Royals - i dont know how you can keep rooting for them since they've sucked since Bo and George left. but you guys keep going to the park every game.4) Twins - die hard fans that kept the twinkies in existence. they wouldn't put up with bud selig trying to contract them a decade or so ago.5) Cubs - 102 years and you still sell out almost every home game. plus you refused to play night games till the 80s. thats dedication.yes, no, maybe so? discuss.

#2 timwakefield

timwakefield

    I haven't got the time time

  • Members
  • 14,405 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Boston
  • Favorite Poker Game:Boxmaha

Posted 04 September 2010 - 03:11 AM

View PostGeneralGeeWhiz, on Friday, September 3rd, 2010, 11:19 PM, said:

4) Red Sox - johnny damon helped break the 86 year curse and he gets booed and batteries thrown at him. classy boston.
Do you have evidence on the bolded? I've certainly never heard that. And in Boston's defense, he got thoroughly applauded all throughout 2005, from the opening day ring ceremony on. He got booed after going to the Yankees, which, after just helping us break our 86 year curse, he had promised he would not do. Posted ImagePosted ImageI'm just saying, it doesn't exactly look like a hailstorm of goddam batteries. Come on.

Quote

2) Yankees - i cant stand the yankees, but they have one of the highest attendance averages every season.
I mean yeah, I'm the first to admit that I'm biased, but you can't just congratulate them as good fans on the fact that they have high attendance. They are the home team of the largest, densest city in the country. When you have 8 million people living within a subway trip and also are constantly winning, I would hope you could have high attendance. The Red Sox have sold out for like 8 consecutive seasons, every home game. Something pretty ridiculous like that. Just that Fenway has less than 40,000 seats.
Karl: She was a bit -- what's the word that you can use, cuz I don't wanna offend anyone?
Steve: Was she a homeless person?
Karl: Yeah but sort of mental homeless.

#3 GeneralGeeWhiz

GeneralGeeWhiz

    Go Niners

  • Members
  • 5,191 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cupertino/Garden City, CA
  • Interests:mtt bubbles, girls, fast cars and golf.
  • Favorite Poker Game:mtt bubbles

Posted 04 September 2010 - 03:49 PM

View Posttimwakefield, on Saturday, September 4th, 2010, 4:11 AM, said:

Do you have evidence on the bolded? I've certainly never heard that. And in Boston's defense, he got thoroughly applauded all throughout 2005, from the opening day ring ceremony on. He got booed after going to the Yankees, which, after just helping us break our 86 year curse, he had promised he would not do. Posted ImagePosted ImageI'm just saying, it doesn't exactly look like a hailstorm of goddam batteries. Come on.I mean yeah, I'm the first to admit that I'm biased, but you can't just congratulate them as good fans on the fact that they have high attendance. They are the home team of the largest, densest city in the country. When you have 8 million people living within a subway trip and also are constantly winning, I would hope you could have high attendance. The Red Sox have sold out for like 8 consecutive seasons, every home game. Something pretty ridiculous like that. Just that Fenway has less than 40,000 seats.
re bold 1: i read why he didn't return to boston through the waiver wire was how bad fans reacted to him when he returned to boston, plus having objects thrown at him, including batteries. he said it was too painful and he didn't want to play for them. (i dont blame him). re bold 2: yankee fans applauded bonds when we played in NYC earlier this past decade, even during the time everyone suspected him of roiding. boston fans booed him, called him a cheater (plus a bunch of other racist crap), had signs that said 762*, etc... but when your beloved big fatty popi got caught using roids, they stood up for him and saying it was fine. so, yankee fans respected bonds because he is the greatest of all time, and red sox fans are fcking hypocrites. you cant say someone whos roided should be banned and have his records wiped out, then support someone who did the EXACT same thing and say its fine because he is on your team. and the argument that NYC is the capital of the world, and they have a bigger stadium then fenway doesnt mean that the sox are just as good of fans. 8 years of sell outs is amazing, but they are one of the worst fan bases in baseball. plus red sox fans bitch about ANYTHING that goes against them.

#4 wsox8

wsox8

    trying to break even at LIFE

  • Members
  • 11,478 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Heights
  • Interests:cheese, apple juice, raisins

Posted 04 September 2010 - 04:12 PM

View PostGeneralGeeWhiz, on Saturday, September 4th, 2010, 6:49 PM, said:

re bold 1: i read why he didn't return to boston through the waiver wire was how bad fans reacted to him when he returned to boston, plus having objects thrown at him, including batteries. he said it was too painful and he didn't want to play for them. (i dont blame him). re bold 2: yankee fans applauded bonds when we played in NYC earlier this past decade, even during the time everyone suspected him of roiding. boston fans booed him, called him a cheater (plus a bunch of other racist crap), had signs that said 762*, etc... but when your beloved big fatty popi got caught using roids, they stood up for him and saying it was fine. so, yankee fans respected bonds because he is the greatest of all time, and red sox fans are fcking hypocrites. you cant say someone whos roided should be banned and have his records wiped out, then support someone who did the EXACT same thing and say its fine because he is on your team. and the argument that NYC is the capital of the world, and they have a bigger stadium then fenway doesnt mean that the sox are just as good of fans. 8 years of sell outs is amazing, but they are one of the worst fan bases in baseball. plus red sox fans bitch about ANYTHING that goes against them.
No he's not and who doesn't bitch about stuff that goes against them? I'm biased (who isn't) because I hate Bonds and lots of the teams you mentioned but I'll just leave it at that.

#5 GeneralGeeWhiz

GeneralGeeWhiz

    Go Niners

  • Members
  • 5,191 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cupertino/Garden City, CA
  • Interests:mtt bubbles, girls, fast cars and golf.
  • Favorite Poker Game:mtt bubbles

Posted 04 September 2010 - 06:41 PM

View Postwsox8, on Saturday, September 4th, 2010, 5:12 PM, said:

No he's not and who doesn't bitch about stuff that goes against them? I'm biased (who isn't) because I hate Bonds and lots of the teams you mentioned but I'll just leave it at that.
if bonds isnt the best, then he is the second best behind mays. roids or not, he is one of the greatest. people forget that he had 14 gold gloves (all before the roids), 600/600, their isn't even a 400/400 player. plus roids doesn't help your hand eye, which bonds had the best hand eye of all time. 7 mvps, etc....

#6 TRB05

TRB05

    Poker Forum Groupie

  • Members
  • 844 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Kansas City

Posted 04 September 2010 - 07:07 PM

View PostGeneralGeeWhiz, on Friday, September 3rd, 2010, 10:19 PM, said:

3) Royals - i dont know how you can keep rooting for them since they've sucked since Bo and George left. but you guys keep going to the park every game.
This is/was rapidly changing this season. I'm not sure if it has changed because I have stopped caring. I don't think I am alone. The one saving grace is that Moustakas is raking in the minors and they finally gave Ka'aihue a chance.

#7 king_tanner

king_tanner

    Poker Forum C***

  • Members
  • 11,153 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Northern CA
  • Favorite Poker Game:Crazy Pineapple hi/lo

Posted 04 September 2010 - 07:25 PM

Oakland A's are on the same level as TB. There is a tarp on the upper deck because they can't even fill the lower deck. There are a lot of loyal fans, but there are just way way more San Francisco Giants fans in the area.The stadium is shitty, the stadium is in a shitty area, they can't keep their stars because they can't afford them, etc etc.There are a lot of teams that are the same as TB and Oakland in terms of fan support. TB fans are probably worse because they do have a few star players, but the main reason is because of the teams low budget. There is no way Oak, TB, Royals, Marlins, Pirates, etc etc will ever compete with fans like Boston fans or Yankee fans because the low budget teams cannot hold on to their star players. I think Florida is just not a great area for a lot of pro sports. The Heat got a gift with Lebron and Bosh coming, but the arena was completely empty previously. Usually their NFL teams have empty stadiums also unless the Dolphins are having an awesome season. The west coast version of Florida teams is San Diego. The Chargers have been consistently good, but there are just as many Raider fans in San Diego as Charger fans. The Padres have also been decent, nobody goes to Padre games.The worst fans for me are fans for teams that are consistently decent, and bitch and moan when a couple of things don't go their way... hi Philly fans. Red Sox fans should not be in the worst list. Red Sox usually outnumber the home teams fans when they are playing away games.To be fair GGW, Giants fans bitch a lot. I don't mean to start an argument because I know how firm you are on being against any negative comment about SF teams, but every time I watch a Giants game people are completely freaking out when they are losing. It doesn't matter if they are in first, last, or whatever... Giants fans are way too over-sensitive.

QUOTE (rcgs59 @ Wednesday, January 5th, 2011, 8:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
$5,000 lol wish it was 5000

#8 GeneralGeeWhiz

GeneralGeeWhiz

    Go Niners

  • Members
  • 5,191 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cupertino/Garden City, CA
  • Interests:mtt bubbles, girls, fast cars and golf.
  • Favorite Poker Game:mtt bubbles

Posted 04 September 2010 - 07:55 PM

View Postking_tanner, on Saturday, September 4th, 2010, 8:25 PM, said:

Oakland A's are on the same level as TB. There is a tarp on the upper deck because they can't even fill the lower deck. There are a lot of loyal fans, but there are just way way more San Francisco Giants fans in the area.The stadium is shitty, the stadium is in a shitty area, they can't keep their stars because they can't afford them, etc etc.There are a lot of teams that are the same as TB and Oakland in terms of fan support. TB fans are probably worse because they do have a few star players, but the main reason is because of the teams low budget. There is no way Oak, TB, Royals, Marlins, Pirates, etc etc will ever compete with fans like Boston fans or Yankee fans because the low budget teams cannot hold on to their star players. I think Florida is just not a great area for a lot of pro sports. The Heat got a gift with Lebron and Bosh coming, but the arena was completely empty previously. Usually their NFL teams have empty stadiums also unless the Dolphins are having an awesome season. The west coast version of Florida teams is San Diego. The Chargers have been consistently good, but there are just as many Raider fans in San Diego as Charger fans. The Padres have also been decent, nobody goes to Padre games.The worst fans for me are fans for teams that are consistently decent, and bitch and moan when a couple of things don't go their way... hi Philly fans. Red Sox fans should not be in the worst list. Red Sox usually outnumber the home teams fans when they are playing away games.To be fair GGW, Giants fans bitch a lot. I don't mean to start an argument because I know how firm you are on being against any negative comment about SF teams, but every time I watch a Giants game people are completely freaking out when they are losing. It doesn't matter if they are in first, last, or whatever... Giants fans are way too over-sensitive.
i agree with your point on the A's/Giants points. Giants fans are a bunch of yuppie bitches and if the A's had Tampas record, they would get a lot more fans.

#9 king_tanner

king_tanner

    Poker Forum C***

  • Members
  • 11,153 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Northern CA
  • Favorite Poker Game:Crazy Pineapple hi/lo

Posted 04 September 2010 - 08:01 PM

View PostGeneralGeeWhiz, on Saturday, September 4th, 2010, 8:55 PM, said:

i agree with your point on the A's/Giants points. Giants fans are a bunch of yuppie bitches and if the A's had Tampas record, they would get a lot more fans.
Meh I don't know about that. Even when the A's had Giambi, Tejada, Hudson, Mulder, Zito, the stadium would only be crowded when they would play good teams. Also, not that many people want to be in Oakland till 10-11 at night which is usually when their weekday games are over.

QUOTE (rcgs59 @ Wednesday, January 5th, 2011, 8:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
$5,000 lol wish it was 5000

#10 GeneralGeeWhiz

GeneralGeeWhiz

    Go Niners

  • Members
  • 5,191 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cupertino/Garden City, CA
  • Interests:mtt bubbles, girls, fast cars and golf.
  • Favorite Poker Game:mtt bubbles

Posted 04 September 2010 - 08:24 PM

View Postking_tanner, on Saturday, September 4th, 2010, 9:01 PM, said:

Meh I don't know about that. Even when the A's had Giambi, Tejada, Hudson, Mulder, Zito, the stadium would only be crowded when they would play good teams. Also, not that many people want to be in Oakland till 10-11 at night which is usually when their weekday games are over.
true. but you guys are better fans compared to Tampa, imo. you guys filled the seats in the playoffs earlier this decade.

#11 wsox8

wsox8

    trying to break even at LIFE

  • Members
  • 11,478 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Heights
  • Interests:cheese, apple juice, raisins

Posted 04 September 2010 - 09:54 PM

View PostGeneralGeeWhiz, on Saturday, September 4th, 2010, 9:41 PM, said:

if bonds isnt the best, then he is the second best behind mays. roids or not, he is one of the greatest. people forget that he had 14 gold gloves (all before the roids), 600/600, their isn't even a 400/400 player. plus roids doesn't help your hand eye, which bonds had the best hand eye of all time. 7 mvps, etc....
I'm not going to debate about who is the best player because it's impossible to compare the different eras but I will take into account that you're a Giants fan. Also, are you rating best fans as the highest attendance and most ovations? Sorry, guess I should have stayed out of the thread. :club:

#12 king_tanner

king_tanner

    Poker Forum C***

  • Members
  • 11,153 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Northern CA
  • Favorite Poker Game:Crazy Pineapple hi/lo

Posted 05 September 2010 - 12:24 AM

View Postwsox8, on Saturday, September 4th, 2010, 10:54 PM, said:

I'm not going to debate about who is the best player because it's impossible to compare the different eras but I will take into account that you're a Giants fan. Also, are you rating best fans as the highest attendance and most ovations? Sorry, guess I should have stayed out of the thread. :club:
It is a hard thing to judge. It looks like so far we are taking into consideration attendance and levels of bitchiness.

QUOTE (rcgs59 @ Wednesday, January 5th, 2011, 8:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
$5,000 lol wish it was 5000

#13 GeneralGeeWhiz

GeneralGeeWhiz

    Go Niners

  • Members
  • 5,191 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cupertino/Garden City, CA
  • Interests:mtt bubbles, girls, fast cars and golf.
  • Favorite Poker Game:mtt bubbles

Posted 05 September 2010 - 12:42 AM

View Postwsox8, on Saturday, September 4th, 2010, 10:54 PM, said:

I'm not going to debate about who is the best player because it's impossible to compare the different eras but I will take into account that you're a Giants fan. Also, are you rating best fans as the highest attendance and most ovations? Sorry, guess I should have stayed out of the thread. :club:
well higher attendance = better fan base. plus if you know more about the game, then you're a smarter fan than other teams. quick ? do you think bonds, clemens, a rod, all the greats of our generation roided deserve to get into the HOF? if you say no, and this is just a stretch, but what if frank thomas roided? would you still believe he should be in the HOF?

View Postking_tanner, on Sunday, September 5th, 2010, 1:24 AM, said:

It is a hard thing to judge. It looks like so far we are taking into consideration attendance and levels of bitchiness.
well that does have a big part to do with it. you can make an argument for every team.

#14 Theraflu

Theraflu

    I like beer.

  • Members
  • 6,283 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Boston
  • Interests:Addictions

Posted 05 September 2010 - 07:04 AM

View PostGeneralGeeWhiz, on Sunday, September 5th, 2010, 12:42 AM, said:

well higher attendance = better fan base. plus if you know more about the game, then you're a smarter fan than other teams. quick ? do you think bonds, clemens, a rod, all the greats of our generation roided deserve to get into the HOF? if you say no, and this is just a stretch, but what if frank thomas roided? would you still believe he should be in the HOF? well that does have a big part to do with it. you can make an argument for every team.
You're a fool.
Marital Aids.

#15 king_tanner

king_tanner

    Poker Forum C***

  • Members
  • 11,153 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Northern CA
  • Favorite Poker Game:Crazy Pineapple hi/lo

Posted 05 September 2010 - 02:45 PM

View PostGeneralGeeWhiz, on Sunday, September 5th, 2010, 1:42 AM, said:

quick ? do you think bonds, clemens, a rod, all the greats of our generation roided deserve to get into the HOF? if you say no, and this is just a stretch, but what if frank thomas roided? would you still believe he should be in the HOF?
this topic has been beaten into the ground on here... but hardly anyone posts in this forum anymore and Im bored.I do not think any known steroid users should be in the hall of fame. I think Frank Thomas probably used steroids. I have no evidence other than he looked like a monster. Since there is no concrete evidence though, he should go in. With Bonds your argument and every other SF fan's argument is that Bonds was a star before steroids. He would not have gotten anywhere near 700+ home runs or over 70 home runs in a season without steroids, and that is what he is famous for. I say keep him out despite his 7 great seasons that he supposedly wasn't on steroids.I think the hand eye coordination thing is also a really bad argument. There have been countless studies about how using steroids correctly will get you extra distance on balls hit. I did some research on it for a school project a long time ago. There is no way his huge home run number is mostly because of great hand eye coordination.

QUOTE (rcgs59 @ Wednesday, January 5th, 2011, 8:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
$5,000 lol wish it was 5000

#16 Theraflu

Theraflu

    I like beer.

  • Members
  • 6,283 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Boston
  • Interests:Addictions

Posted 05 September 2010 - 05:05 PM

View Postking_tanner, on Sunday, September 5th, 2010, 2:45 PM, said:

I think the hand eye coordination thing is also a really bad argument. There have been countless studies about how using steroids correctly will get you extra distance on balls hit. I did some research on it for a school project a long time ago. There is no way his huge home run number is mostly because of great hand eye coordination.
Some of the stuff he was using helped increase his fast-twitch muscle response. Hm, I wonder if being able to react quicker to inside fastballs helps you pull the ball and hit it better/harder? There's an at-bat I will always remember: I used to get stoned and watch pretty much every Dodgers and Giants game, 1) to listen to Vin, and 2) to watch Barry and Gagne. They were facing each other one night; Gagne throwing 97-100 and Barry pulling the god damn pitches foul. Barry won that round when he slowed down his swing just a bit and took him deep in the water. The whole thing was a ridiculous display of steroids, on both sides. And it was some great fucking baseball.
Marital Aids.

#17 timwakefield

timwakefield

    I haven't got the time time

  • Members
  • 14,405 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Boston
  • Favorite Poker Game:Boxmaha

Posted 05 September 2010 - 05:27 PM

View PostGeneralGeeWhiz, on Saturday, September 4th, 2010, 7:49 PM, said:

re bold 1: i read why he didn't return to boston through the waiver wire was how bad fans reacted to him when he returned to boston, plus having objects thrown at him, including batteries. he said it was too painful and he didn't want to play for them. (i dont blame him).
First of all, I asked for evidence that batteries were thrown, an idea which I still find preposterous. Saying that you heard it somewhere isn't evidence. Link me to an article. And in fact a google search for "Johhn Damon batteries" yields nothing real that I can find.

Quote

8 years of sell outs is amazing, but they are one of the worst fan bases in baseball.
Ok, but that's kind of blatantly false. Sox fans are widely heralded as among the most knowledgeable and engaged.
Karl: She was a bit -- what's the word that you can use, cuz I don't wanna offend anyone?
Steve: Was she a homeless person?
Karl: Yeah but sort of mental homeless.

#18 timwakefield

timwakefield

    I haven't got the time time

  • Members
  • 14,405 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Boston
  • Favorite Poker Game:Boxmaha

Posted 05 September 2010 - 06:00 PM

View PostGeneralGeeWhiz, on Saturday, September 4th, 2010, 10:41 PM, said:

600/600, their isn't even a 400/400 player.
Just to be nitpicky, there also isn't a 600/600 player. Bonds had 514 steals.
Karl: She was a bit -- what's the word that you can use, cuz I don't wanna offend anyone?
Steve: Was she a homeless person?
Karl: Yeah but sort of mental homeless.

#19 GeneralGeeWhiz

GeneralGeeWhiz

    Go Niners

  • Members
  • 5,191 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cupertino/Garden City, CA
  • Interests:mtt bubbles, girls, fast cars and golf.
  • Favorite Poker Game:mtt bubbles

Posted 05 September 2010 - 06:05 PM

View Posttimwakefield, on Sunday, September 5th, 2010, 6:27 PM, said:

First of all, I asked for evidence that batteries were thrown, an idea which I still find preposterous. Saying that you heard it somewhere isn't evidence. Link me to an article. And in fact a google search for "Johhn Damon batteries" yields nothing real that I can find.Ok, but that's kind of blatantly false. Sox fans are widely heralded as among the most knowledgeable and engaged.
true. i dont know if i could find an article on it or evidecne. and you can make an argument for every team being the worst or best fanbase. every fanbase has its flaws and bright spots. so my original post is my opinion i guess.

View Posttimwakefield, on Sunday, September 5th, 2010, 7:00 PM, said:

Just to be nitpicky, there also isn't a 600/600 player. Bonds had 514 steals.
my bad. 500/500.

#20 JoeyJoJo

JoeyJoJo

    On the road to 8,143 (approximately)

  • Members
  • 8,140 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Springfield

Posted 07 September 2010 - 08:31 AM

View PostGeneralGeeWhiz, on Saturday, September 4th, 2010, 4:49 PM, said:

re bold 1re bold 2
If you were to take every non-Rose post on this forum, this would make the top ten of unintentionally funniest posts.

View PostTheraflu, on Sunday, September 5th, 2010, 6:05 PM, said:

The whole thing was a ridiculous display of steroids, on both sides. And it was some great fucking baseball.
For sure. But I'm not getting into the steroids talk again.But, come on, it might be cliche, but it doesn't change the indisputable fact that Babe Ruth is the greatest of all-time and it is stupid to suggest otherwise.Also, another come on at the Dodgers fans being the worst fans in baseball. I mean, I guess you didn't even want to try to hide your ridiculous Giants bias.God, this thread is just full of huge amounts of fail.
Homer: Moe, I need your advice.
Moe: Yeah?
Homer: See, I got this friend named... Joey Jo Jo... Junior... Shabadoo.
Moe: That's the worst name I ever heard.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users