164 replies to this topic

#41 BigDMcGee

BigDMcGee

Forum Entitlist

• Members
  • 24,078 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 03:20 PM

View PostCaneBrain, on Wednesday, July 21st, 2010, 10:13 AM, said:

I'm glad I am not the only one who thought Dark City was amazing.Still, there is a different between thoughtful criticism and what the douche-clown in BigD's link wrote.
wasn't my link.
Posted Image
"We are only wise in knowing that we know nothing"
-Socrates

"Dust. Wind. Dude."
-Ted Theodore Logan

"I'm a basketball player and a businessman, not a Thundercat,"
-Lebron James

#42 JubilantLankyLad

JubilantLankyLad

you can't see me!

• Members
  • 8,592 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:PANDA

Posted 21 July 2010 - 03:28 PM

NO SPOILERS, PROMISEI saw Inception last night. I like to go into movies completely cold - the less I know about them the better. In this case I knew it was directed by Nolan and starred Leo, that's it. I suspected I was going to love the movie once we got about 5 minutes in, because it was explaining itself wonderfully without narration or explicit exposition. By the end, I was still smiling ear to ear; even though I knew how it was going to end, I loved watching it happen. I really think this was one of the best movies I've ever seen. Visually it was outstanding. Logically it was fantastic (one smallish quibble about the van but otherwise it all makes great sense from multiple perspectives). Pacing was perfect - 2.5 hrs went by in about 20 minutes as far as I was concerned (and that's TOTALLY a metaphor for the movie imo). And the acting was strong across the board (the weakest performance was still better than the strongest in many movies). It all came together so well that I was delighted. I was laughing in delight as the credits rolled and applauded for the first time in years at the movies. I was delighted in a way that I can really only remember having been after some Pixar movies. This is not a simple movie, but it's not overly confusing either. It just doesn't shy away from presenting you with a detailed and complex storyline, a complicated world that you need to think about and pay attention to in order to understand. And the more you put into understanding it, the more you get out.Just a great, great movie.
there were no special effects, no special effects.

#43 looshle

looshle

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 5,282 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 06:05 PM

View PostBigDMcGee, on Tuesday, July 20th, 2010, 12:58 AM, said:

unless you count children of men as an action movie, which I don't
Either this movie had the best last 1/3 of a movie ever or I'm completely retarded bc I didn't make it that far. I remember it being completely uninteresting but always hear about how good it was.
QUOTE (rcgs59 @ Sunday, December 12th, 2010, 10:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
say what?

I don't berate players unless they are donkeys making bad plays

#44 brvheart

brvheart

I'm the best.

• Members
  • 23,094 posts
  • Interests:Playing in nuclear fallout.
  • Favorite Poker Game:I play 100/200 live with my best friend Jason.

Posted 21 July 2010 - 09:44 PM

View Postlooshle, on Wednesday, July 21st, 2010, 9:05 PM, said:

Either this movie had the best last 1/3 of a movie ever or I'm completely retarded bc I didn't make it that far. I remember it being completely uninteresting but always hear about how good it was.
Really?I don't understand how that's possible.
CAPITALISM: God's way of determining who is smart and who is poor. - Ron Swanson ---> Video:Ron's Pyramid of Greatness Picture: Poster Size

View PostSuitedAces21, on 20 August 2012 - 11:14 AM, said:

tilt you suck.

View PostEssay21, on 25 February 2013 - 08:32 PM, said:

titly suck a dick bitch

#45 looshle

looshle

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 5,282 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 11:42 PM

View Postbrvheart, on Wednesday, July 21st, 2010, 10:44 PM, said:

i believe i DID say that i could be completely retarded
QUOTE (rcgs59 @ Sunday, December 12th, 2010, 10:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
say what?

I don't berate players unless they are donkeys making bad plays

#46 Poppy_Hillis

Poppy_Hillis

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 3,895 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 01:24 AM

Overrated. Didn't draw me in emotionally. Did not care about any character, which is a yuuuuge drawback. Could not have been more indifferent as to how it was going to end. Definitely interesting, however.

#47 mk

mk

nord-américain racaille

• Members
  • 9,858 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 06:32 AM

I keep thinking about Joseph Gordon-Levitt flying around in the hotel level, tying everyone up, fighting projections, rigging the elevator, etc., and it makes me shake my head in disbelief at how unbelievably fucking awesome the last half of this movie was. Y like Senor JLL, even in parts where I knew what I was about to see, I was still motherfucking THRILLED to watch it actually unfold on screen. I can't wait to see this again.

#48 Dubey

Dubey

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 7,287 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 11:19 AM

View Postbrvheart, on Wednesday, July 21st, 2010, 10:44 PM, said:

This.Children of Men is an outstanding movie. So many really powerful scenes. the scene where
Spoiler
is one of my favourite scenes of all time.

#49 BigDMcGee

BigDMcGee

Forum Entitlist

• Members
  • 24,078 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 12:23 PM

View PostDubey, on Thursday, July 22nd, 2010, 2:19 PM, said:

This.Children of Men is an outstanding movie. So many really powerful scenes. the scene where
Spoiler
is one of my favourite scenes of all time.
That scene and two others were literally jaw dropping to me. They at the time appeared to be one shot, and I thought it was the most spectacular thing I'd ever seen in movie making. Then I did some research, and they just appear to be one shot/no cut. They actually were several different shots, but edited digitally to look like a continuous shot, which I think is almost cooler. The effect is just magnificent.
Posted Image
"We are only wise in knowing that we know nothing"
-Socrates

"Dust. Wind. Dude."
-Ted Theodore Logan

"I'm a basketball player and a businessman, not a Thundercat,"
-Lebron James

#50 Voldemort

Voldemort

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 3,229 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:Owning Souls

Posted 22 July 2010 - 02:05 PM

I am also a big Children of Men fan. Remember seeing it the first time and loving it.

#51 JubilantLankyLad

JubilantLankyLad

you can't see me!

• Members
  • 8,592 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:PANDA

Posted 22 July 2010 - 02:21 PM

neat review of Inception, with spoilers: http://www.theawl.co...t-making-moviesI think it may go a bit far at times but the premise is interesting. It certainly explains why Leo looks so much like Nolan in this film. I definitely agree that Inception is one of the most self-referential movies I've seen.
there were no special effects, no special effects.

#52 SuitedAces21

SuitedAces21

pure brody

• Members
  • 21,136 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 12:04 AM

saw it again. truly amazing.

#53 runthemover

runthemover

jano way

• Members
  • 6,922 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 10:00 PM

View PostJubilantLankyLad, on Wednesday, July 21st, 2010, 4:28 PM, said:

NO SPOILERS, PROMISEI saw Inception last night. I like to go into movies completely cold - the less I know about them the better. In this case I knew it was directed by Nolan and starred Leo, that's it. I suspected I was going to love the movie once we got about 5 minutes in, because it was explaining itself wonderfully without narration or explicit exposition. By the end, I was still smiling ear to ear; even though I knew how it was going to end, I loved watching it happen. I really think this was one of the best movies I've ever seen. Visually it was outstanding. Logically it was fantastic (one smallish quibble about the
Spoiler
but otherwise it all makes great sense from multiple perspectives). Pacing was perfect - 2.5 hrs went by in about 20 minutes as far as I was concerned
Spoiler
. And the acting was strong across the board (the weakest performance was still better than the strongest in many movies). It all came together so well that I was delighted. I was laughing in delight as the credits rolled and applauded for the first time in years at the movies. I was delighted in a way that I can really only remember having been after some Pixar movies. This is not a simple movie, but it's not overly confusing either. It just doesn't shy away from presenting you with a detailed and complex storyline, a complicated world that you need to think about and pay attention to in order to understand. And the more you put into understanding it, the more you get out.Just a great, great movie.
ohhhh yea.
Spoiler

#54 speedz99

speedz99

It don't matter to Jesus.

• Members
  • 28,025 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 04:17 PM

I'm having a very minor procedure done on Wednesday morning, and I'm staying at my parents' place that night. I've convinced my dad that it'll be a good idea for us to go see Inception that night while I'm in my post-surgical vicoden-induced haze. I'm pretty excited about it.
You got a date Wednesday, baby!

#55 digitalmonkey

digitalmonkey

Unenjoyable Annoying Retard

• Members
  • 32,657 posts
  • Interests:sports, music, movies, photography
  • Favorite Poker Game:Hi/Lo Chicago

Posted 24 July 2010 - 04:21 PM

View Postspeedz99, on Saturday, July 24th, 2010, 7:17 PM, said:

I'm having a very minor procedure done on Wednesday morning, and I'm staying at my parents' place that night. I've convinced my dad that it'll be a good idea for us to go see Inception that night while I'm in my post-surgical vicoden-induced haze. I'm pretty excited about it.
I've never had vicoden...will you be able to follow the movie?
Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous.

#56 speedz99

speedz99

• Members
  • 28,025 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 04:37 PM

View Postdigitalmonkey, on Saturday, July 24th, 2010, 5:21 PM, said:

I've never had vicoden...will you be able to follow the movie?
Yeah, it shouldn't be a problem.

#57 CobaltBlue

CobaltBlue

Post-Apocalyptic Wanderer

• Members
  • 9,634 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:Hold 'Em, Crazy Pineapple, 2-7 TD

Posted 24 July 2010 - 10:39 PM

Saw it last night and looking forward to further viewings.This is a really good spoiler-heavy allegorical article:http://chud.com/arti...TION/Page1.html(Taken from another article that someone posted.)
Seals With Clubs - Bitcoin Poker Room - Easy and Fast Deposits and Cashouts (Open to US)
https://sealswithclu...aff.php?aff=182

#58 vbnautilus

vbnautilus

psychonaut

• Members
  • 10,316 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 04:14 PM

View PostYonYonson, on Friday, July 16th, 2010, 9:05 PM, said:

there are no words to describe how amazing it was.

View PostSuitedAces21, on Friday, July 16th, 2010, 11:17 PM, said:

i mean it was just out-fuckin-standing.
I just saw it, and this is pretty much how I felt about it ^^.

View Postfrautotenkinder, on Saturday, July 17th, 2010, 9:06 AM, said:

Okay, now I've more time to think about it.Stuff that I didn't like:
Spoiler
Huh?
Spoiler

#59 speedz99

speedz99

• Members
  • 28,025 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 06:01 PM

Liked it a lot, didn't love it.

Spoiler
I'm pretty sure I read that the Paris scene was mostly practical effects as well...maybe I'm wrong.

Spoiler
Spoiler

#60 El Guapo

El Guapo

Like A Boss!

• Members
  • 16,439 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 08:52 AM

Not sure if I commented on this yet or not (don't think so, since I just saw it on Saturday night). I really liked the movie. I don't remember who said it, but it made me think of Dark City a lot as well, and I really liked that movie.I thought they did a fantastic job of making the unbelievable, believable.
Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users