• Please log in to reply
954 replies to this topic

#1 Jadaki

Jadaki

IIOY?

• Members
  • 22,247 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 05:52 AM

Making a new thread cause the old title makes finding in a search a bit difficult. Before True Blood's premiere last night HBO had a 20 second teaser of the show.You can see it on HBO's new site for the series: http://www.hbo.com/game-of-thronesThe original pilot has been seen by a few people in the press whoa re giving it glowing reviews, though 2 of the actresses have been recast so the first episode is going to be redone when filming begins again.Looks great.

#2 GWCGWC

GWCGWC

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 14,466 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 08:37 AM

The problem with the old thread has to do with people discussing the book series with important plot points and not using spoilers. Didn't it say coming in 2011? This will give me time to read the books even though I swore off reading book series until all the books are available. This series may never be finished.

#3 Dubey

Dubey

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 6,957 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 11:14 AM

View PostGWCGWC, on Monday, June 14th, 2010, 9:37 AM, said:

The problem with the old thread has to do with people discussing the book series with important plot points and not using spoilers. Didn't it say coming in 2011? This will give me time to read the books even though I swore off reading book series until all the books are available. This series may never be finished.
The series will likely never be finished, however, these books are definitely worth a read. They work well, even as stand alone projects. Plus, if you wait, you'll be waiting for many, many years, and you really shouldn't deprive yourself of these books for that long.

#4 Theraflu

Theraflu

I like beer.

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  • Interests:Addictions

Posted 26 October 2010 - 02:46 PM

Don't know if anyone follows #gameofthrones or not, but http://www.makinggameofthrones.com/ is the website done by the people making the show, with occasional blog updates and stuff that's going on. There isn't too much older stuff on the site, and you can blow through it in a half hour, but there's some good pictures and short interviews with the cast/staff.
Marital Aids.

#5 SuitedAces21

SuitedAces21

post bot 3000

• Members
  • 20,659 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 07:36 PM

looks like i'll be watching this.

View PostDavid_Sklansky, on 27 May 2014 - 06:26 PM, said:

For sure. I can extrapolate from your posts here that you would be an imaginative film maker and dynamic lover.

#6 Theraflu

Theraflu

I like beer.

• Members
  • 6,230 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 08:50 PM

15 minute preview before Boardwalk this week, I think. Should be up on the making game of thrones website the day after.
Marital Aids.

#7 The mobile flu

The mobile flu

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 12:44 PM

I was a week off with my information; ten minute preview/making of. Looks so. So good. http://www.makinggam...es-feature.html

#8 BigDMcGee

BigDMcGee

Forum Entitlist

• Members
  • 23,817 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 06:19 AM

I wish jadaki still posted here, I have a bone to pick with him about this series of books.
Posted Image
"We are only wise in knowing that we know nothing"
-Socrates

"Dust. Wind. Dude."
-Ted Theodore Logan

"I'm a basketball player and a businessman, not a Thundercat,"
-Lebron James

#9 Theraflu

Theraflu

I like beer.

• Members
  • 6,230 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 09:24 AM

View PostBigDMcGee, on Wednesday, December 8th, 2010, 7:19 AM, said:

I wish jadaki still posted here, I have a bone to pick with him about this series of books.
What the fuck's your problem? I have bones.
Marital Aids.

#10 Tactical Bear

Tactical Bear

Happy Hallowang

• Members
  • 4,220 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 09:48 AM

View PostBigDMcGee, on Wednesday, December 8th, 2010, 9:19 AM, said:

Somebody here -- I want to say one of the actual good poker players who is a Dodgers fan, whatever that guy's name is -- suggested the series in a random thread somewhere a few years back. It took me about three days to read the first 200 pages of Game of Thrones, and on the fourth day I blew through the next 400 pages, bought the second book in the series, and read more than half of it. Within a week, I'd finished all four books in the series. I'm not sure what bone you're picking, but I'd love to take off my Angry Internet Dick skirt and put on my (highly ironic) ass-masking Jadaki-defending pantsuit and engage you. [Caveat: I understand and appreciate great literature, but I read mostly (what I refer to as) TrashFiction. We may be arguing from perspectives so different as to render quickly the entire discussion pointless. Example: if the conversation becomes something like "Hey, it's a really awesome story with great, realistic characters without the lazy, contrived, childish deus-ex-machina that ruins so much fantasy" and then "Well, I want more than just a story from a book, and I think the prose is clumsy," then I'll just say, "Okay. I like the books and think the characters are pretty awesome and surprisingly adult for books with dragons in them, but I respect your analysis. Also you are a homosexual, probably."]My biggest fear is that all that pointing-and-laughing when Robert Jordan died is going to kick my ass, Karmically speaking. God, I laughed so hard. I read the first few books of that Wheel of Time series -- man, I must have slogged through like 4 or 5 of them -- and finally just stopped torturing myself. "HEY I HAVE AN IDEA STOP MAKING ALL OF YOUR CHARACTERS SO FUCKING STUPID SO YOU CAN KEEP PUBLISHING BOOKS GOD DAMMIT ROBERT JORDAN YOU ARE SUCH AN ASSHOLE."
Quack, Qua-...

I mean, RAAAAAAWWWR!

#11 Skeleton Jelly

Skeleton Jelly

KOWTF

• Members
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 09:53 AM

View PostTactical Bear, on Wednesday, December 8th, 2010, 9:48 AM, said:

I want to say one of the actual good poker players who is a Dodgers fan, whatever that guy's name is
PMJackson21I don't know if he was the one who suggested it, but that's who you think might have. I don't even know what Game of Thrones is.

#12 king_tanner

king_tanner

Poker Forum C***

• Members
  • 11,035 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:Crazy Pineapple hi/lo

Posted 08 December 2010 - 10:23 AM

View PostBigDMcGee, on Wednesday, December 8th, 2010, 6:19 AM, said:

yeah wtf lol. What is the bone to pick? Did you not like the series? Why not? WHY THE HELL NOT?

QUOTE (rcgs59 @ Wednesday, January 5th, 2011, 8:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
$5,000 lol wish it was 5000

#13 Tactical Bear

Tactical Bear

Happy Hallowang

• Members
  • 4,220 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 10:30 AM

View PostSkeleton Jelly, on Wednesday, December 8th, 2010, 12:53 PM, said:

PMJackson21I don't know if he was the one who suggested it, but that's who you think might have. I don't even know what Game of Thrones is.
1) Correct2) Amazingly fastAnd "Game of Thrones" is the first book in George RR Martin's fantasy series A Song of Ice and Fire. HBO is turning it into a TV series; early indicators suggest epic sweetness.
Quack, Qua-...

I mean, RAAAAAAWWWR!

#14 El Guapo

El Guapo

Like A Boss!

• Members
  • 16,439 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 12:17 PM

I have started this damn book 5 times and haven't got through the first 3 chapters. I really needed to finish my stupid Dan Brown book and get back to these.

#15 king_tanner

king_tanner

Poker Forum C***

• Members
  • 11,035 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 12:45 PM

View PostEl Guapo, on Wednesday, December 8th, 2010, 12:17 PM, said:

I have started this damn book 5 times and haven't got through the first 3 chapters. I really needed to finish my stupid Dan Brown book and get back to these.
I'm not sure what Dan Brown book you are reading, but here is all you need to know.Robert Langdon somehow gets pulled into some bullshit. He tries to ignore all the weird shit he hears. Halfway through he gets interested and tries to solve all the stuff. Cops/CIA and all those people assume he is the bad guy because he is so smart and knows too much. Weird religious dude wants to kill him. Weird religious dude doesn't kill him. Robert Langdon finds out "the truth" to get cops/CIA off his ass. --The EndTo summarize... throw your Dan Brown book in a fire and read Game of Thrones immediately.

#16 El Guapo

El Guapo

Like A Boss!

• Members
  • 16,439 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 12:58 PM

I like Dan Browns books. I bought in the airport last month and got 1/3 of the way through on the flight home. I'm a little over 2/3 through now. The problem is I don't have a lot of free time to read. The free time I do have I am usually in bed with my wife and we will watch on hour of tv, then crash.

#17 BigDMcGee

BigDMcGee

Forum Entitlist

• Members
  • 23,817 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 01:36 PM

View PostTactical Bear, on Wednesday, December 8th, 2010, 11:48 AM, said:

Somebody here -- I want to say one of the actual good poker players who is a Dodgers fan, whatever that guy's name is -- suggested the series in a random thread somewhere a few years back. It took me about three days to read the first 200 pages of Game of Thrones, and on the fourth day I blew through the next 400 pages, bought the second book in the series, and read more than half of it. Within a week, I'd finished all four books in the series. I'm not sure what bone you're picking, but I'd love to take off my Angry Internet Dick skirt and put on my (highly ironic) ass-masking Jadaki-defending pantsuit and engage you. [Caveat: I understand and appreciate great literature, but I read mostly (what I refer to as) TrashFiction. We may be arguing from perspectives so different as to render quickly the entire discussion pointless. Example: if the conversation becomes something like "Hey, it's a really awesome story with great, realistic characters without the lazy, contrived, childish deus-ex-machina that ruins so much fantasy" and then "Well, I want more than just a story from a book, and I think the prose is clumsy," then I'll just say, "Okay. I like the books and think the characters are pretty awesome and surprisingly adult for books with dragons in them, but I respect your analysis. Also you are a homosexual, probably."]My biggest fear is that all that pointing-and-laughing when Robert Jordan died is going to kick my ass, Karmically speaking. God, I laughed so hard. I read the first few books of that Wheel of Time series -- man, I must have slogged through like 4 or 5 of them -- and finally just stopped torturing myself. "HEY I HAVE AN IDEA STOP MAKING ALL OF YOUR CHARACTERS SO FUCKING STUPID SO YOU CAN KEEP PUBLISHING BOOKS GOD DAMMIT ROBERT JORDAN YOU ARE SUCH AN ASSHOLE."
Alright, so here's the bone...In preparation for this series, which I've been excited about the prospect of a "gritty" fantasy series, I decided to give this series a shot last month. I haven't read a fantasy series in about ten years or so, when ever I gave up on the wheel of time for being the most indulgent go no where piece of crap I've ever read. ANd I have to say, I really enjoyed the series. I mostly read literary fiction, but I occasionally read trash, and I read a lot more " trashy" sci fi-fantasy when I was younger. I've been getting my fix for that sort of thing from comics the past 10 years or so. Anyway, I really enjoyed the first three books.. right up until the ending of book three. I suppose I should slap some spoilers on now..
Spoiler

Posted Image
-Socrates

"Dust. Wind. Dude."
-Ted Theodore Logan

-Lebron James

#18 king_tanner

king_tanner

Poker Forum C***

• Members
  • 11,035 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 02:39 PM

meh I hope people don't see BigD's post and decide not to read these books. BigD I'm not saying you are completely wrong, and I agree with your concerns on the 4th book, it does seem like Martin is biting off more than he can chew with the new storylines. I think everything will connect at the end though, or I hope. I also think there is going to be a lot more to the ending than the dragons vs the north. I actually think
Spoiler
The author has capped the number of books on the series, and even though it has taken him a long time to finish the next one it does seem as though he has a plan as to where it will end.I think of the series the same way as I think of The Wire. In The Wire the first four seasons were awesome, the fifth wasn't as good but it was still awesome. For me, in the Song of Ice and Fire the first three books were awesome, the fourth wasn't as good but it was still awesome.

#19 BigDMcGee

BigDMcGee

Forum Entitlist

• Members
  • 23,817 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 03:21 PM

View Postking_tanner, on Wednesday, December 8th, 2010, 4:39 PM, said:

The author has capped the number of books on the series, and even though it has taken him a long time to finish the next one it does seem as though he has a plan as to where it will end.I think of the series the same way as I think of The Wire. In The Wire the first four seasons were awesome, the fifth wasn't as good but it was still awesome. For me, in the Song of Ice and Fire the first three books were awesome, the fourth wasn't as good but it was still awesome.
So what if he's "Capped" it, he already capped it at 4 books, and jordan capped his own series over and over again into the grave. Caps don't mean anything, they can always be lifted by self indulgent authors. Also comparing this book series to the wire makes my ass twitch.
Posted Image
-Socrates

"Dust. Wind. Dude."
-Ted Theodore Logan

-Lebron James

#20 Dubey

Dubey

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 6,957 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 03:27 PM

View PostBigDMcGee, on Wednesday, December 8th, 2010, 2:36 PM, said:

Alright, so here's the bone...In preparation for this series, which I've been excited about the prospect of a "gritty" fantasy series, I decided to give this series a shot last month. I haven't read a fantasy series in about ten years or so, when ever I gave up on the wheel of time for being the most indulgent go no where piece of crap I've ever read. ANd I have to say, I really enjoyed the series. I mostly read literary fiction, but I occasionally read trash, and I read a lot more " trashy" sci fi-fantasy when I was younger. I've been getting my fix for that sort of thing from comics the past 10 years or so. Anyway, I really enjoyed the first three books.. right up until the ending of book three. I suppose I should slap some spoilers on now..
Spoiler
Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users