Jump to content


To Go For A Bigger Bankroll Or To Not Go For A Bigger Bankroll?


  • Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 pOpzvEgAz88

pOpzvEgAz88

    Poker Forum Newbie

  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 04:13 PM

Hi everyone,This month marks one year for to be regularly playing online. When I first started I used a 50 dollar bankroll and grew it to 100. Then I withdrew it and tried to do it again then lost it. Then I tried a 150 bankroll and withdrew it at 245. Here lately, I had a 300 dollar bankroll and fell to 150 and had to drop stakes. Alot of times I feel like my play is good against low stakes but I frequently get sucked out on by donk callers or I lose by lowering the standard of my play to what alot of low level players do. I can easily afford to have a 500 to 700 dollar bankroll but I was wondering should I try the higher stakes? I would certainly tighten up my game but does the competition really get any better when I am playing 15 dollar games rather than 5? What should I do here?Thanks!

#2 pOpzvEgAz88

pOpzvEgAz88

    Poker Forum Newbie

  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 06:30 AM

thoughts...?

#3 makaveliwj

makaveliwj

    Poker Forum Newbie

  • Members
  • 80 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:.

Posted 13 June 2010 - 06:37 AM

View PostpOpzvEgAz88, on Saturday, June 12th, 2010, 4:13 PM, said:

Hi everyone,This month marks one year for to be regularly playing online. When I first started I used a 50 dollar bankroll and grew it to 100. Then I withdrew it and tried to do it again then lost it. Then I tried a 150 bankroll and withdrew it at 245. Here lately, I had a 300 dollar bankroll and fell to 150 and had to drop stakes. Alot of times I feel like my play is good against low stakes but I frequently get sucked out on by donk callers or I lose by lowering the standard of my play to what alot of low level players do. I can easily afford to have a 500 to 700 dollar bankroll but I was wondering should I try the higher stakes? I would certainly tighten up my game but does the competition really get any better when I am playing 15 dollar games rather than 5? What should I do here?Thanks!
If you are losing at a level, it's never a good idea to move up levels to get away from the donks. You'll just lose more money to donks with more money. If you are beating the "donks" at your current level than that is the time to move up and win more money from donks with more money.

#4 rrumsey

rrumsey

    Poker Forum Veteran

  • Members
  • 1,881 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Atlanta, Georgia
  • Interests:I like to think about and play poker. Enough said. I read a lot of forums and am now trying to write in them.
  • Favorite Poker Game:O8, PLO, LHE, NLHE

Posted 13 June 2010 - 01:52 PM

how much do you tend to play a day? a week? i mean if you are playing enough and well enough you should be able to overcome bad beats in the longrun. just stay realistic about yourself. I mean try a stab if you want, and be willing to move down if it fails. But i would suggest grind away and build up. make sure you are solid.
Escalante in the small stakes grinder podcast in respect to my FPS " Bet your damn hands!!!" hahaha

Download Spartan's podcast, Small Stakes Grinder! the link for iTunes is: (http://itunes.apple....der/id354114893)
Check out updates to the podcast in the "Members Blog" section of the forum (of pokerroad)...or else. Check it out guys it is a great podcast. Next Episode (Topic: Interview with Barry Greenstein Part 2): 04/19/10

#5 antistuff

antistuff

    monotonously monotonous

  • Members
  • 5,466 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:new york city

Posted 14 June 2010 - 12:53 PM

competition will rarely get noticeably better from one limit to the next. the places it really jumps are where you can start to earn enough money to live off of poker (1/2nl, 5/10lhe, etc..). what will fuck you up though is how you feel about the money. remember your worst losing day and double it. because thats what doubling the stakes is like. also just automatically and permanently moving up is a bad idea. take shots. get your feet wet and get used to it first.
QUOTE ( Barry Greenstein)
Successful gamblers are compulsive winners.

#6 babylondonks

babylondonks

    I have had a perfectly wonderful evening

  • Members
  • 4,104 posts
  • Location:but this wasn't it.

Posted 14 June 2010 - 09:11 PM

if you lose a bet, just move up and go double or nothing. It's an unbeatable preached by Doyle Brunson in his well known book 'Super System'

#7 pOpzvEgAz88

pOpzvEgAz88

    Poker Forum Newbie

  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 09:15 PM

this is all really good advice, i guess i have just found myself at a point where i began to doubt my abilities as a player.. but good advice on forums and other literature definitely keeps my game solid. i don't understand your supersystem reference babyldonk? surely you don't mean after i lose some of my bankroll to double my stakes? could you clarify?

#8 pOpzvEgAz88

pOpzvEgAz88

    Poker Forum Newbie

  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 09:17 PM

View Postrrumsey, on Sunday, June 13th, 2010, 1:52 PM, said:

how much do you tend to play a day? a week? i mean if you are playing enough and well enough you should be able to overcome bad beats in the longrun. just stay realistic about yourself. I mean try a stab if you want, and be willing to move down if it fails. But i would suggest grind away and build up. make sure you are solid.
I would say i play at least a good hour or two a day. Sometimes less, sometimes more. Solid definitely seems to be the winning strategy in micro's.. bluffs seem to not work as much but it good hands seem to pay off more times than not. Most people at the stakes I play are unable to lay down top pair. Even if its a pair of 10s with a Queen kicker.

#9 babylondonks

babylondonks

    I have had a perfectly wonderful evening

  • Members
  • 4,104 posts
  • Location:but this wasn't it.

Posted 14 June 2010 - 09:31 PM

View PostpOpzvEgAz88, on Monday, June 14th, 2010, 10:15 PM, said:

this is all really good advice, i guess i have just found myself at a point where i began to doubt my abilities as a player.. but good advice on forums and other literature definitely keeps my game solid. i don't understand your supersystem reference babyldonk? surely you don't mean after i lose some of my bankroll to double my stakes? could you clarify?
tp/mm

#10 Stupidhead

Stupidhead

    Poker Forum Nut

  • Members
  • 300 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:BC, Canada
  • Interests:Soccer, Skiing, Hiking, Traveling
  • Favorite Poker Game:No limit Holdem

Posted 14 June 2010 - 09:34 PM

View PostpOpzvEgAz88, on Monday, June 14th, 2010, 10:15 PM, said:

this is all really good advice, i guess i have just found myself at a point where i began to doubt my abilities as a player.. but good advice on forums and other literature definitely keeps my game solid. i don't understand your supersystem reference babyldonk? surely you don't mean after i lose some of my bankroll to double my stakes? could you clarify?
It's actually a pretty sound system. If you double your stakes everytime you lose, you're bound to profit since the one time you win will make up for all the times you've lost. You just have to make sure that every time you win, you drop back down. So many people don't remember this and get greedy. That's why so many people bust their bankrolls. Proper bankroll management is key to beating this game.

#11 outsider13

outsider13

    Poker Forum Veteran

  • Members
  • 4,132 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 14 June 2010 - 09:35 PM

View PostStupidhead, on Tuesday, June 15th, 2010, 12:34 AM, said:

It's actually a pretty sound system. If you double your stakes everytime you lose, you're bound to profit since the one time you win will make up for all the times you've lost. You just have to make sure that every time you win, you drop back down. So many people don't remember this and get greedy. That's why so many people bust their bankrolls. Proper bankroll management is key to beating this game.
hof/thread

#12 pOpzvEgAz88

pOpzvEgAz88

    Poker Forum Newbie

  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 07:02 PM

and everyone would agree this is a good strategy? this seems sort of taboo when discussing bankroll

#13 Sick Boy

Sick Boy

    Poker Forum Veteran

  • Members
  • 1,998 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Zealand
  • Favorite Poker Game:Texas Holdem, HORSE

Posted 16 June 2010 - 02:30 AM

View PostpOpzvEgAz88, on Saturday, June 12th, 2010, 5:13 PM, said:

Hi everyone,This month marks one year for to be regularly playing online. When I first started I used a 50 dollar bankroll and grew it to 100. Then I withdrew it and tried to do it again then lost it. Then I tried a 150 bankroll and withdrew it at 245. Here lately, I had a 300 dollar bankroll and fell to 150 and had to drop stakes. Alot of times I feel like my play is good against low stakes but I frequently get sucked out on by donk callers or I lose by lowering the standard of my play to what alot of low level players do. I can easily afford to have a 500 to 700 dollar bankroll but I was wondering should I try the higher stakes? I would certainly tighten up my game but does the competition really get any better when I am playing 15 dollar games rather than 5? What should I do here?Thanks!
Just fucking play higher its more fun that way.(Responsibly)

#14 Ko8e34

Ko8e34

    Lakers Angels in 09 baby.

  • Members
  • 2,876 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Fullerton
  • Favorite Poker Game:HORSE

Posted 16 June 2010 - 06:08 PM

Sick boy! Now we just need some dscoot.

#15 antistuff

antistuff

    monotonously monotonous

  • Members
  • 5,466 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:new york city

Posted 30 June 2010 - 12:23 PM

View PostKo8e34, on Wednesday, June 16th, 2010, 10:08 PM, said:

Sick boy! Now we just need some dscoot.
The key to proper bankroll management is to zig when you should zag. This may seem confusing so allow me to clarify with some examples.Lets say you have been grinding along playing .25/.50 nlhe with a bankroll of $1000. Now, you are probably a loser but you don't know this. So when you have a week where you end up down to $457 you think "oh no, how did this happen to me?" What you should do in this instance is take a break and then move down to .10/.25 to try an recoup. But isn't that the advice everybody gives? And aren't most players losers (like you)? Well hell yes. So what you need to do here is zig instead of zag. Fire up pokerstars and crack open a table of 1/2. But remember!!! You need to be cautious. So only sit down with $70 at first. This will be gone shortly, but no matter, because then you are going to reload all the way and when you double that you'll be up $130 (but still down $413, yes you are not supposed to think this way, but remember, always zag). Anyway, so now you have a $200 stack and its on you and there is a raise and you look down at 44. Well, a pair is a bit better than AK so you might as well just shove. An Ace on the FLoP!!!! What the FuCk!!!!!! Now you have $187 left, but you shouldn't sit with it all because those donks are just going to outdraw you anway. So you leave $40 and sit down and you flop QT high but they guy had a flush draw and it hits and oh damn. Your last $40 goes in a flash too because you just keep hitting call because how can you beat them they call with anything. But its not about results. You played right, and thats what counts. When they zigged you zagged.
QUOTE ( Barry Greenstein)
Successful gamblers are compulsive winners.

#16 K_dense

K_dense

    Poker Forum Nut

  • Members
  • 455 posts
  • Location:STL mo
  • Interests:i love watching 70's porn and eating popcorn
  • Favorite Poker Game:Barack Obama

Posted 01 July 2010 - 05:39 AM

View Postantistuff, on Wednesday, June 30th, 2010, 3:23 PM, said:

The key to proper bankroll management is to zig when you should zag. This may seem confusing so allow me to clarify with some examples.Lets say you have been grinding along playing .25/.50 nlhe with a bankroll of $1000. Now, you are probably a loser but you don't know this. So when you have a week where you end up down to $457 you think "oh no, how did this happen to me?" What you should do in this instance is take a break and then move down to .10/.25 to try an recoup. But isn't that the advice everybody gives? And aren't most players losers (like you)? Well hell yes. So what you need to do here is zig instead of zag. Fire up pokerstars and crack open a table of 1/2. But remember!!! You need to be cautious. So only sit down with $70 at first. This will be gone shortly, but no matter, because then you are going to reload all the way and when you double that you'll be up $130 (but still down $413, yes you are not supposed to think this way, but remember, always zag). Anyway, so now you have a $200 stack and its on you and there is a raise and you look down at 44. Well, a pair is a bit better than AK so you might as well just shove. An Ace on the FLoP!!!! What the FuCk!!!!!! Now you have $187 left, but you shouldn't sit with it all because those donks are just going to outdraw you anway. So you leave $40 and sit down and you flop QT high but they guy had a flush draw and it hits and oh damn. Your last $40 goes in a flash too because you just keep hitting call because how can you beat them they call with anything. But its not about results. You played right, and thats what counts. When they zigged you zagged.
Classic , i applaud you fine example of the little known facts of how to win at poker ... is there any more examples you could part with ....?
I knew something was wrong when a pretty little white girl ran into a black mans arms ....

#17 TraptSteve

TraptSteve

    Poker Forum Groupie

  • Members
  • 923 posts
  • Location:Chicago

Posted 10 July 2010 - 03:39 AM

1. Search for 'Smash strat' in the FCP forums2. Crush live 1-2 using smash strat3. Deposit your profit online & take a shotRinse & repeat for infinite wealth / prosperity. Dont listen to those haters... stick w/ ur grind :club:


<Khassaki> HI EVERYBODY!!!!!!!!!!
<Judge-Mental> try pressing the the Caps Lock key
<Khassaki> O THANKS!!! ITS SO MUCH EASIER TO WRITE NOW!!!!!!!
<Judge-Mental> **** me

-bash.org




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users