Balloon guy

Deplorable Lives Matter

• Members
  • 24,378 posts
  • Interests:Cigars, Flying, Golf, Bible
  • Favorite Poker Game:Golf

Posted 27 May 2010 - 08:14 AM

View PostBigDMcGee, on Thursday, May 27th, 2010, 9:12 AM, said:

I'm saying that if there's a solution that will stop the oil leak, but it also will make the field undrillable, then that option should be taken, because the damage this oil to society is greater than the benefit we will get by drilling it. I don't know that such a solution exists, btw. But if it's being withheld because BP doesn't want to lose the field, then yes, that's when I think gov. should step in. But again, I don't know if such a thing exists, I just heard on a sports radio show that russia capped one of these spills with a nuclear blast. Random sports radio shows aren't exactly the authority I hope our government is using to make this sort of decision.
I wonder who would have the knowledge of the russians setting off a nuke to stop an oil leak....
I use my cigar smoke as idiot repellent

The government was set to protect man from criminals - and the Constitution was written to protect man from the government. - Ayn Rand

#42 BigDMcGee

BigDMcGee

Forum Entitlist

• Members
  • 26,640 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 08:16 AM

View PostBalloon guy, on Thursday, May 27th, 2010, 11:14 AM, said:

I wonder who would have the knowledge of the russians setting off a nuke to stop an oil leak....
yakov smirnov?
"We are only wise in knowing that we know nothing"
-Socrates

"Dust. Wind. Dude."
-Ted Theodore Logan

"I'm a basketball player and a businessman, not a Thundercat,"
-Lebron James

#43 Balloon guy

Balloon guy

Deplorable Lives Matter

• Members
  • 24,378 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 08:18 AM

View PostBigDMcGee, on Thursday, May 27th, 2010, 9:16 AM, said:

yakov smirnov?
Posted Image

The government was set to protect man from criminals - and the Constitution was written to protect man from the government. - Ayn Rand

#44 JoeyJoJo

JoeyJoJo

On the road to 8,143 (approximately)

• Members
  • 8,141 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 08:22 AM

View PostBalloon guy, on Thursday, May 27th, 2010, 9:14 AM, said:

Sarah Palin? Witnessed it from her porch?
Homer: Moe, I need your advice.
Moe: Yeah?
Homer: See, I got this friend named... Joey Jo Jo... Junior... Shabadoo.
Moe: That's the worst name I ever heard.

#45 BigDMcGee

BigDMcGee

Forum Entitlist

• Members
  • 26,640 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 08:22 AM

View PostBalloon guy, on Thursday, May 27th, 2010, 11:18 AM, said:

Posted Image
I love this country
-Socrates

"Dust. Wind. Dude."
-Ted Theodore Logan

-Lebron James

#46 Balloon guy

Balloon guy

Deplorable Lives Matter

• Members
  • 24,378 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 08:28 AM

View PostBigDMcGee, on Thursday, May 27th, 2010, 9:22 AM, said:

I love this WHADDA country

#47 Balloon guy

Balloon guy

Deplorable Lives Matter

• Members
  • 24,378 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 08:29 AM

View PostJoeyJoJo, on Thursday, May 27th, 2010, 9:22 AM, said:

Sarah Palin? Witnessed it from her porch?
That's what she said.Because we now have free healthcare

#48 Pot Odds RAC

Pot Odds RAC

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 7,172 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:Live NL TxHE

Posted 27 May 2010 - 08:30 AM

All of the "Why don't they just...? Well, the Russians did this one time..." suggestions of how to fix this crack me up and reminds me of when the Russian Submarine the Kursk went down. That was in 300 feet of water and basically impossible to save the poor guys presumed trapped inside. 300 feet.We've been to the freaking Moon, but 300 feet in water might as well be a different Galaxy.This oil well is 5,000 feet below the surface. Just in terms of Atmospheric Pressure that is the difference between about 10 atm (300 feet) and over 150 atm at 5,000 feet. You don't "just" do anything at 150 atm.As far as detonating a nuke, oh, sorry "small contained nuclear blast" is so full of unknowns as to be more irresponsible than doing nothing, or at least exhausting the more reasonable controllable options. To minimize their actions as being "corporate greed" is a little simplistic. This is a far more complex environment than most people give it credit for being. Plus I am guessing that BP doesn't exactly have a stockpile of small contained nuclear weapons sitting in a warehouse ready to deploy. They aren't going to be able to drill in that field ever again and they know it - nuclear contamination or not.

#49 BigDMcGee

BigDMcGee

Forum Entitlist

• Members
  • 26,640 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 08:32 AM

View PostPot Odds RAC, on Thursday, May 27th, 2010, 11:30 AM, said:

All of the "Why don't they just...? Well, the Russians did this one time..." suggestions of how to fix this crack me up and reminds me of when the Russian Submarine the Kursk went down. That was in 300 feet of water and basically impossible to save the poor guys presumed trapped inside. 300 feet.We've been to the freaking Moon, but 300 feet in water might as well be a different Galaxy.This oil well is 5,000 feet below the surface.As far as detonating a nuke, oh, sorry "small contained nuclear blast" is so full of unknowns as to be more irresponsible than doing nothing, or at least exhausting the more reasonable controllable options. To minimize their actions as being "corporate greed" is a little simplistic. This is a far more complex environment than most people give it credit for being. Plus I am guessing that BP doesn't exactly have a stockpile of small contained nuclear weapons sitting in a warehouse ready to deploy. They aren't going to be able to drill in that field ever again and they know it - nuclear contamination or not.
That's why I said " Random sports radio shows aren't exactly the authority I hope our government is using to make this sort of decision.", because I really know **** all about how feasible it is.
-Socrates

"Dust. Wind. Dude."
-Ted Theodore Logan

-Lebron James

#50 Pot Odds RAC

Pot Odds RAC

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 7,172 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 08:36 AM

View PostBigDMcGee, on Thursday, May 27th, 2010, 12:32 PM, said:

That's why I said " Random sports radio shows aren't exactly the authority I hope our government is using to make this sort of decision.", because I really know **** all about how feasible it is.
OK. Reasonable enough.

#51 JoeyJoJo

JoeyJoJo

On the road to 8,143 (approximately)

• Members
  • 8,141 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 08:45 AM

View PostPot Odds RAC, on Thursday, May 27th, 2010, 9:36 AM, said:

OK. Reasonable enough.
So now that you've stumbled upon the actual point of that question, do you think the government should intervene IF there is an immediate solution that also effectively kills (or at least seriously harms) the company?
Homer: Moe, I need your advice.
Moe: Yeah?
Homer: See, I got this friend named... Joey Jo Jo... Junior... Shabadoo.
Moe: That's the worst name I ever heard.

#52 Pot Odds RAC

Pot Odds RAC

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 7,172 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 08:53 AM

View PostJoeyJoJo, on Thursday, May 27th, 2010, 12:45 PM, said:

So now that you've stumbled upon the actual point of that question, do you think the government should intervene IF there is an immediate solution that also effectively kills (or at least seriously harms) the company?
Depends.There IS a cost benefit analysis. There is not any one single criterion that trumps the equation. Environmental impact, local economy, US economy, world economy, and yes even the impact to BP itself must all be considered and weighed against the potential odds of success for any action. If there was a super simple very low cost and impact solution to consider that only had a 20% chance of working and was reasonably quick to implement vs. a huge cost huge impact solution that was 70% I'd have to try the 20% solution first. Likewise if there was a solution that was 100% guaranteed to work, had zero other negative impacts, but resulted in BP's extinction, then that might have to be seriously considered - IMO.

#53 BigDMcGee

BigDMcGee

Forum Entitlist

• Members
  • 26,640 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 09:29 AM

View PostPot Odds RAC, on Thursday, May 27th, 2010, 11:53 AM, said:

Likewise if there was a solution that was 100% guaranteed to work, had zero other negative impacts, but resulted in BP's extinction, then that might have to be seriously considered - IMO.
Does this solution involve ritually cutting out the hearts of the board of directors of BP, and burning their hearts on top of a Ziggurat? because if so, I'm for it.
-Socrates

"Dust. Wind. Dude."
-Ted Theodore Logan

-Lebron James

#54 mk

mk

nord-américain racaille

• Members
  • 9,873 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 09:37 AM

barack doin' a nice job in this press conference, unsurprisingly.

#55 LongLiveYorke

LongLiveYorke

Ending the world one proton at a time

• Members
  • 8,356 posts
  • Interests:fizziks, teh maths, Raid-o-head, Rod Reynolds

Posted 27 May 2010 - 09:54 AM

Good news. We made history! The spill is now worse than Exxon Valdez!http://www.nytimes.c...Spill.html?_r=1

#56 Balloon guy

Balloon guy

Deplorable Lives Matter

• Members
  • 24,378 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 10:05 AM

View PostPot Odds RAC, on Thursday, May 27th, 2010, 9:30 AM, said:

All of the "Why don't they just...? Well, the Russians did this one time..." suggestions of how to fix this crack me up and reminds me of when the Russian Submarine the Kursk went down. That was in 300 feet of water and basically impossible to save the poor guys presumed trapped inside. 300 feet.We've been to the freaking Moon, but 300 feet in water might as well be a different Galaxy.This oil well is 5,000 feet below the surface. Just in terms of Atmospheric Pressure that is the difference between about 10 atm (300 feet) and over 150 atm at 5,000 feet. You don't "just" do anything at 150 atm.As far as detonating a nuke, oh, sorry "small contained nuclear blast" is so full of unknowns as to be more irresponsible than doing nothing, or at least exhausting the more reasonable controllable options. To minimize their actions as being "corporate greed" is a little simplistic. This is a far more complex environment than most people give it credit for being. Plus I am guessing that BP doesn't exactly have a stockpile of small contained nuclear weapons sitting in a warehouse ready to deploy. They aren't going to be able to drill in that field ever again and they know it - nuclear contamination or not.
Yea but wasn't Hailliburton involved in this?

#57 Balloon guy

Balloon guy

Deplorable Lives Matter

• Members
  • 24,378 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 10:08 AM

View Postmk, on Thursday, May 27th, 2010, 10:37 AM, said:

barack doin' a nice job in this press conference, unsurprisingly.
Why? Does he have a teleprompter?

#58 Balloon guy

Balloon guy

Deplorable Lives Matter

• Members
  • 24,378 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 10:08 AM

View PostLongLiveYorke, on Thursday, May 27th, 2010, 10:54 AM, said:

Good news. We made history! The spill is now worse than Exxon Valdez!http://www.nytimes.c...Spill.html?_r=1
Number one again!USAUSAUSA

#59 nutzbuster

nutzbuster

Point taken....

• Members
  • 11,378 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 10:12 AM

lol nuke solution.Can you imagine if this went from a leak at one specific point to a leak the size of a basketball court leaking from multiple fracture points? Obama has stated they have been on this from day one. Not true but I agree there is not much they/he can do about it. The issue is all about perception really. Obama should have gone down there immediately, then follow that up with a few more first hand visits and arrange visits to the families who lost loved ones after the initial blast, that sort of thing. None of that would stop the oil gushing, but it would have gone a long way to shut up the critics or at least piss on their powder.top kill appears to be working so thank God for that at least.

F Cancer

#60 Balloon guy

Balloon guy

Deplorable Lives Matter

• Members
  • 24,378 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 10:15 AM

The democrats have made the environment their issue.There has been little to no action from the WH.They deserve the bad press now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users