Jump to content


The Oil Spill Thread


  • Please log in to reply
389 replies to this topic

#1 Balloon guy

Balloon guy

    Deplorable Lives Matter

  • Members
  • 24,371 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:So Cal
  • Interests:Cigars, Flying, Golf, Bible
  • Favorite Poker Game:Golf

Posted 26 May 2010 - 08:33 AM

Just watched James Carvall..not a real poster child for the anti democrat party.He is livid over the handling of the oil spill by the president.Obama waited 7-8 days to even visit the spill.It's been 38 days, this administration has basically said: "The oil spill is BP's responsibility"The region represents a huge percentage of the fishing industry in this country.I know I kind of made fun of the 'overreaction' at the first few days, even I am noticing that you can't let a large amount of oil to be pouring out nonstop for months without it eventually becoming a serious problem.Can anyone imbed the streaming video?
I use my cigar smoke as idiot repellent

The government was set to protect man from criminals - and the Constitution was written to protect man from the government. - Ayn Rand

#2 dapokerbum

dapokerbum

    The American Dream?

  • Members
  • 2,350 posts
  • Location:San Diego
  • Favorite Poker Game:NLHE for now

Posted 26 May 2010 - 08:42 AM

View PostBalloon guy, on Wednesday, May 26th, 2010, 9:33 AM, said:

Just watched James Carvall..not a real poster child for the anti democrat party.He is livid over the handling of the oil spill by the president.Obama waited 7-8 days to even visit the spill.It's been 38 days, this administration has basically said: "The oil spill is BP's responsibility"The region represents a huge percentage of the fishing industry in this country.I know I kind of made fun of the 'overreaction' at the first few days, even I am noticing that you can't let a large amount of oil to be pouring out nonstop for months without it eventually becoming a serious problem.Can anyone imbed the streaming video?
The oil spill is BP's responsibility. They should have some penalty where for every day the spill continues there is a penalty X amount of dollars. This might get them some additional motivation.
There was madness in any direction, at any hour…You could strike sparks anywhere. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning…. And that, I think, was the handle-that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn’t need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting-on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave….So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark-that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back.

#3 Jeepster80125

Jeepster80125

    Forum Conspiracy Theory Buster; Dreamcrusher

  • Members
  • 6,785 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Denver
  • Interests:poker

Posted 26 May 2010 - 08:43 AM

View PostBalloon guy, on Wednesday, May 26th, 2010, 10:33 AM, said:

Just watched James Carvall..not a real poster child for the anti democrat party.He is livid over the handling of the oil spill by the president.Obama waited 7-8 days to even visit the spill.It's been 38 days, this administration has basically said: "The oil spill is BP's responsibility"The region represents a huge percentage of the fishing industry in this country.I know I kind of made fun of the 'overreaction' at the first few days, even I am noticing that you can't let a large amount of oil to be pouring out nonstop for months without it eventually becoming a serious problem.Can anyone imbed the streaming video?
What exactly do you think this administration should be doing differently than what BP is doing?
Posted Image
QUOTE (Spademan @ Friday, May 22nd, 2009, 4:24 PM)
We are both being judgmental, the only difference is my judgments are well reasoned, well presented and actually have something to do with reality whereas yours are inane assumption wrapped in a steaming pile of contradiction.

#4 Balloon guy

Balloon guy

    Deplorable Lives Matter

  • Members
  • 24,371 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:So Cal
  • Interests:Cigars, Flying, Golf, Bible
  • Favorite Poker Game:Golf

Posted 26 May 2010 - 08:44 AM

View Postdapokerbum, on Wednesday, May 26th, 2010, 9:42 AM, said:

The oil spill is BP's responsibility. They should have some penalty where for every day the spill continues there is a penalty X amount of dollars. This might get them some additional motivation.
Kind of my original position.But the problem is that they have spent 38 days so far, and some people are talking about another couple months to fix this.Should the administration who cares about the environment sit around and make a profit while the gulf is being damaged for possible months or years?
I use my cigar smoke as idiot repellent

The government was set to protect man from criminals - and the Constitution was written to protect man from the government. - Ayn Rand

#5 dapokerbum

dapokerbum

    The American Dream?

  • Members
  • 2,350 posts
  • Location:San Diego
  • Favorite Poker Game:NLHE for now

Posted 26 May 2010 - 08:50 AM

View PostBalloon guy, on Wednesday, May 26th, 2010, 9:44 AM, said:

Kind of my original position.But the problem is that they have spent 38 days so far, and some people are talking about another couple months to fix this.Should the administration who cares about the environment sit around and make a profit while the gulf is being damaged for possible months or years?
As Jeep said ... what else can the administration do that BP already isn't doing? Is there some magical enchantment that the Obama administration can dole out that will stop this. I would rather leave it to someone who supposedly knows what they are doing. After all is said and done, I would go back and see if there were any contingency plans for this type of thing and then see the why and how it was not contained in a better way from the start. If you were an oil company all you are seeing is your profits getting away from you (via the leak) and even more money out of your pockets (the fines) so it seems that it is in their BEST interest to fix this as quick as possible.
There was madness in any direction, at any hour…You could strike sparks anywhere. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning…. And that, I think, was the handle-that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn’t need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting-on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave….So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark-that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back.

#6 Balloon guy

Balloon guy

    Deplorable Lives Matter

  • Members
  • 24,371 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:So Cal
  • Interests:Cigars, Flying, Golf, Bible
  • Favorite Poker Game:Golf

Posted 26 May 2010 - 08:56 AM

What should the government be doing?Probably not sit back and hope BP is doing their best?
I use my cigar smoke as idiot repellent

The government was set to protect man from criminals - and the Constitution was written to protect man from the government. - Ayn Rand

#7 JoeyJoJo

JoeyJoJo

    On the road to 8,143 (approximately)

  • Members
  • 8,141 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Springfield

Posted 26 May 2010 - 08:57 AM

You know how I'd fix the oil leak?10. Choke the bitch off.9. Sop it up with a biscuit.8. Get Al Sharpton to boycott it.7. Have Andre Dawson talk to it.6. Send Ben Wallace, he'll stop it.5. Use the oil to deep fry all the shrimp in the gulf.4. Hide the pipe in Michael Irvin's glove compartment.3. Plug the hole with Gilbert Brown.2. Send Jamaal Tinsley over with a dust pan.1. Have Bud Adams move the oil to Tennessee.Stolen from the Dan Lebatard show and there's maybe three other people that are going to get this.
Homer: Moe, I need your advice.
Moe: Yeah?
Homer: See, I got this friend named... Joey Jo Jo... Junior... Shabadoo.
Moe: That's the worst name I ever heard.

#8 Jeepster80125

Jeepster80125

    Forum Conspiracy Theory Buster; Dreamcrusher

  • Members
  • 6,785 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Denver
  • Interests:poker

Posted 26 May 2010 - 09:01 AM

View PostBalloon guy, on Wednesday, May 26th, 2010, 10:56 AM, said:

What should the government be doing?Probably not sit back and hope BP is doing their best?
I asked you exactly what you think obama's administration should be doing.Do you even have an argument or position?Some people would argue that the previous administration contributed to lazy enforcement of safety regulations, which directly led to safety mechanisms like blowout preventers failing, such as this case. What do you say to that?
Posted Image
QUOTE (Spademan @ Friday, May 22nd, 2009, 4:24 PM)
We are both being judgmental, the only difference is my judgments are well reasoned, well presented and actually have something to do with reality whereas yours are inane assumption wrapped in a steaming pile of contradiction.

#9 Balloon guy

Balloon guy

    Deplorable Lives Matter

  • Members
  • 24,371 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:So Cal
  • Interests:Cigars, Flying, Golf, Bible
  • Favorite Poker Game:Golf

Posted 26 May 2010 - 09:01 AM

So obviously there are plenty of things the administration could be doing..
I use my cigar smoke as idiot repellent

The government was set to protect man from criminals - and the Constitution was written to protect man from the government. - Ayn Rand

#10 Balloon guy

Balloon guy

    Deplorable Lives Matter

  • Members
  • 24,371 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:So Cal
  • Interests:Cigars, Flying, Golf, Bible
  • Favorite Poker Game:Golf

Posted 26 May 2010 - 09:03 AM

View PostJeepster80125, on Wednesday, May 26th, 2010, 10:01 AM, said:

I asked you exactly what you think obama's administration should be doing.Do you even have an argument or position?Some people would argue that the previous administration contributed to lazy enforcement of safety regulations, which directly led to safety mechanisms like blowout preventers failing, such as this case. What do you say to that?
?"It's Bush's Fault?"What do I say to that?Hmm...I guess you got me. The oil can continue to flow unchecked for moths, as long as it's Bush's fault.
I use my cigar smoke as idiot repellent

The government was set to protect man from criminals - and the Constitution was written to protect man from the government. - Ayn Rand

#11 Balloon guy

Balloon guy

    Deplorable Lives Matter

  • Members
  • 24,371 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:So Cal
  • Interests:Cigars, Flying, Golf, Bible
  • Favorite Poker Game:Golf

Posted 26 May 2010 - 09:05 AM

Interesting little story:

Quote

In at least one case, according to a new report from the Interior Department's acting inspector general, an inspector for the Minerals Management Service admitted using crystal methamphetamine and said he might have been under the influence of the drug the next day at work.
Once again, it's the war on drugs that caused this.We need to make Meth legal so things like this don't happen
I use my cigar smoke as idiot repellent

The government was set to protect man from criminals - and the Constitution was written to protect man from the government. - Ayn Rand

#12 BigDMcGee

BigDMcGee

    Forum Entitlist

  • Members
  • 26,634 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 26 May 2010 - 04:31 PM

Here's the thing, though. BP has about 100 times more knowledge about how to plug one of these holes that the Government does, so other than exerting pressure on BP to fix it faster, I don't know what anyone thinks the government can do that BP can'tOther than a small contained nuclear blast, which I heard worked in stopping one of these leaks in russia. The reason BP doesn't want to do this, I've heard, is it would make the field undrillable.
"We are only wise in knowing that we know nothing"
-Socrates

"Dust. Wind. Dude."
-Ted Theodore Logan

"I'm a basketball player and a businessman, not a Thundercat,"
-Lebron James

#13 hblask

hblask

    Perpetual slow learner

  • Members
  • 9,860 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Minnesota
  • Interests:Just deal the cards already

Posted 26 May 2010 - 06:38 PM

Overall, I have to agree that this is BP's problem. I can't believe that oil companies don't have a method for dealing with this. Did they think it was impossible?This is not Obama's fault, and it's apparently a tough engineering problem. Having said that, the Dems deserve to pay in exactly the same way they made Bush pay for that act of nature near New Orleans.
"Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?" -- J. Coulton


#14 BigDMcGee

BigDMcGee

    Forum Entitlist

  • Members
  • 26,634 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 26 May 2010 - 06:55 PM

View Posthblask, on Wednesday, May 26th, 2010, 9:38 PM, said:

This is not Obama's fault, and it's apparently a tough engineering problem. Having said that, the Dems deserve to pay in exactly the same way they made Bush pay for that act of nature near New Orleans.
Why? Two wrongs don't make a right.
"We are only wise in knowing that we know nothing"
-Socrates

"Dust. Wind. Dude."
-Ted Theodore Logan

"I'm a basketball player and a businessman, not a Thundercat,"
-Lebron James

#15 hblask

hblask

    Perpetual slow learner

  • Members
  • 9,860 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Minnesota
  • Interests:Just deal the cards already

Posted 26 May 2010 - 07:11 PM

View PostBigDMcGee, on Wednesday, May 26th, 2010, 8:55 PM, said:

Why? Two wrongs don't make a right.
True. My original thought was that maybe it would make them think next time, but then I remembered, this is politics, it doesn't work like the real world.
"Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?" -- J. Coulton


#16 BigDMcGee

BigDMcGee

    Forum Entitlist

  • Members
  • 26,634 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 26 May 2010 - 07:26 PM

View Posthblask, on Wednesday, May 26th, 2010, 10:11 PM, said:

True. My original thought was that maybe it would make them think next time, but then I remembered, this is politics, it doesn't work like the real world.
also, the situations are not quite the same. Clean up from Natural disasters and maintaining the contition of levy's is the realm of the federal government. And while I think blaming W specifically for it wasn't fair, since the president is the personification of the federal government in most people's minds ( who have little real clue how the gov. works) him getting the blame is understandable. But this is a man made disaster, by a private company, that should have a contingency plan already in place for just such an event.
"We are only wise in knowing that we know nothing"
-Socrates

"Dust. Wind. Dude."
-Ted Theodore Logan

"I'm a basketball player and a businessman, not a Thundercat,"
-Lebron James

#17 GOCUBSGO

GOCUBSGO

    Poker Forum Veteran

  • Members
  • 1,278 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:IA
  • Favorite Poker Game:NL MTT's

Posted 26 May 2010 - 10:26 PM

I'm sure this is already happening to a certain extent, but why isn't the government taking their most knowledgeable/capable/creative minds and putting them to work right along side BP (who clearly has a higher level of expertise) to figure this thing out. I don't like the whole sit back and watch over BP stance, but then again I have to agree that BP is going to be able to do it quicker than just the government would be able to. That being said though, why aren't we employing every resource to try and help with this thing.I guess one thought is that BP is refusing help? I heard, and I'm not sure if it is true, that numerous countries have offered to help with the cleanup and BP has declined. WTF..

#18 BigDMcGee

BigDMcGee

    Forum Entitlist

  • Members
  • 26,634 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 26 May 2010 - 10:46 PM

View PostGOCUBSGO, on Thursday, May 27th, 2010, 1:26 AM, said:

I'm sure this is already happening to a certain extent, but why isn't the government taking their most knowledgeable/capable/creative minds and putting them to work right along side BP (who clearly has a higher level of expertise) to figure this thing out. I don't like the whole sit back and watch over BP stance, but then again I have to agree that BP is going to be able to do it quicker than just the government would be able to. That being said though, why aren't we employing every resource to try and help with this thing.I guess one thought is that BP is refusing help? I heard, and I'm not sure if it is true, that numerous countries have offered to help with the cleanup and BP has declined. WTF..
It's because the cunts don't want to do anything to risk their oil field.
"We are only wise in knowing that we know nothing"
-Socrates

"Dust. Wind. Dude."
-Ted Theodore Logan

"I'm a basketball player and a businessman, not a Thundercat,"
-Lebron James

#19 GOCUBSGO

GOCUBSGO

    Poker Forum Veteran

  • Members
  • 1,278 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:IA
  • Favorite Poker Game:NL MTT's

Posted 26 May 2010 - 11:25 PM

View PostBigDMcGee, on Thursday, May 27th, 2010, 1:46 AM, said:

It's because the cunts don't want to do anything to risk their oil field.
Yeah, sad world we live in :club:

#20 85suited

85suited

    Politics Forum Pundit

  • Members
  • 1,686 posts
  • Location:In The Obamanation
  • Favorite Poker Game:Vast Right Wing Conspirator

Posted 27 May 2010 - 04:31 AM

View PostBigDMcGee, on Wednesday, May 26th, 2010, 7:31 PM, said:

Here's the thing, though. BP has about 100 times more knowledge about how to plug one of these holes that the Government does,
this hasn't stopped the government before (not knowing anything)... see health care -




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users