Balloon guy

Deplorable Lives Matter

• Members
  • 24,409 posts
  • Interests:Cigars, Flying, Golf, Bible
  • Favorite Poker Game:Golf

Posted 08 March 2010 - 05:09 PM

View PostBaseJester, on Monday, March 8th, 2010, 3:43 PM, said:

Can't you imagine Jews and Muslims saying the same thing to Christians?
But Christians aren't saying let's just take the parts of your religions we think we like and ignore the rest and then we'll pretend that we have accomplished something that you Jews and Muslims were missing from your religions.I guess should ever actually we say that, then I can imagine them saying it to us, only with heavy accents and a lot more phlem.
I use my cigar smoke as idiot repellent

Most bad government has come out of too much government. Thomas Jefferson

#142 Balloon guy

Balloon guy

Deplorable Lives Matter

• Members
  • 24,409 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 05:11 PM

View PostSuitedAces21, on Monday, March 8th, 2010, 3:49 PM, said:

on one hand i feel sorry for baloon guy. so brain washed he actually believes the nonsene he spouts. on the other hand, i envy him, his world makes sense. and he's probably happier than i am.
Usually sympathy works best when you are in a better position than the sympathee, but I get your point.Yes, I am happy with life, and comfortable knowing that when I die, nothing but goodness will happen to me. So I guess I got it all.I can see why so many of you guys feel the need to 'save' me from this crazy thing called religion.

#143 Balloon guy

Balloon guy

Deplorable Lives Matter

• Members
  • 24,409 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 05:14 PM

View PostRandy Reed, on Monday, March 8th, 2010, 2:36 PM, said:

Yeah, SB, quit trying to help people lead a more meaningful and moral life, that's not what it's about! If you go trying to make sense of the bible you'll ruin it for all the rest. People just want to have their own interpretaion. I know I just sold an 06 BMW 750li to a preacher who'd be pretty pissed off at your interpretation. I mean the next thing you know you'll have the church spending $28K on helping people or even worse, a friggin' Honda! C'mon!And what would these people have to do?http://news.yahoo.co...igeria_violenceI guess the Christians were too busy forgiving everyone 77 times as they were slashed with machetes. Oh well. The world is dying anyway and they get to go to heaven as long as they remembered to ask forgiveness before they got hacked.
I love that you are judging a guy for buying a 4 year old used car because you don't think he should drive a BMW and be a preacher....cause preachers who commit their lives to a church and often stay working at the same job for decades should never be paid a decent wage...But you didn't have quite the conviction of your opinion to refuse to sell him the car, at the best price you could get...because you have no standards to hold yourself against?

#144 Balloon guy

Balloon guy

Deplorable Lives Matter

• Members
  • 24,409 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 05:18 PM

View PostRandy Reed, on Monday, March 8th, 2010, 2:36 PM, said:

And what would these people have to do?http://news.yahoo.co...igeria_violenceI guess the Christians were too busy forgiving everyone 77 times as they were slashed with machetes. Oh well. The world is dying anyway and they get to go to heaven as long as they remembered to ask forgiveness before they got hacked.
I think in your desire to find some news story that paints Christians in a bad light you ignored this little tidbit in the story:

The Rev. Pandang Yamsat, the president of a local Christian group, said he has urged his congregation not to respond violently to Muslims. However, he said he believes Muslims in the area want to control the region and that any peace talks would only give Muslims "time to conquer territory with swords.""We have done our best to tell our members, 'don't go and attack Muslims, they are your brother,'" Yamsat said. However, "'if they come to dislodge you in your place, stand to defend yourself.'"
So when did you want to get into a "Who can find links to more atrocities done by people who believe in God vs those that refuse to believe in God?"I am open Thursday

#145 vbnautilus

vbnautilus

psychonaut

• Members
  • 10,326 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 05:23 PM

View PostBalloon guy, on Monday, March 8th, 2010, 5:11 PM, said:

Usually sympathy works best when you are in a better position than the sympathee, but I get your point.Yes, I am happy with life, and comfortable knowing that when I die, nothing but goodness will happen to me. So I guess I got it all.I can see why so many of you guys feel the need to 'save' me from this crazy thing called religion.
Kind of a tangent, but do you think its fine for people to just believe whatever makes them happy? Let's say we find a bunch of people who believe that in 88 years a giant sentient banana is going to appear over New Jersey and reward all the guidos with everlasting banana-flavored happiness. Furthermore, we find that believing this causes them to be extremely happy and fulfilled (despite moving to New Jersey). Would you try to convince them they are wrong? I mean, taking away the issue of whether or not its proper to meddle in other people's business, do you think they should know the truth even though it may make them a little less happy in the present?

#146 Balloon guy

Balloon guy

Deplorable Lives Matter

• Members
  • 24,409 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 05:31 PM

View Postvbnautilus, on Monday, March 8th, 2010, 5:23 PM, said:

Kind of a tangent, but do you think its fine for people to just believe whatever makes them happy? Let's say we find a bunch of people who believe that in 88 years a giant sentient banana is going to appear over New Jersey and reward all the guidos with everlasting banana-flavored happiness. Furthermore, we find that believing this causes them to be extremely happy and fulfilled (despite moving to New Jersey). Would you try to convince them they are wrong? I mean, taking away the issue of whether or not its proper to meddle in other people's business, do you think they should know the truth even though it may make them a little less happy in the present?
Well, I would, but that is because I have found the truth, you guys are believing a lie based on bad interpretations of the data, which is why I am laughing when you guys try to 'save' me.It is kind of like a person says they are on their way to Hawaii, but they take the 5 north, now you can chuckle and try to tell them that they really need to look at the 10 east, but that isn't really helping. Sure you are right that they are wrong, but you don't know what is right. In the mean time I will point them to the 405 and LAX and they will arrive at their destination, all while you guys are spinning your wheels on the 10 driving through west Texas trying to tell yourselves that you are getting closer every day.

#147 BaseJester

BaseJester

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 2,109 posts
  • Interests:Juggling. Ventriloquism. Story-telling.
  • Favorite Poker Game:The quintain

Posted 08 March 2010 - 05:33 PM

View PostBalloon guy, on Monday, March 8th, 2010, 8:09 PM, said:

But Christians aren't saying let's just take the parts of your religions we think we like and ignore the rest and then we'll pretend that we have accomplished something that you Jews and Muslims were missing from your religions.
I don't think you're trying very hard to see their perspective. The Jews imagine the Christians reading along through the Old Testament and having Jesus amplify or strike according to their preferences. "In the beginning . . . " Pretty cool. Keep that. Flood. Check. "Let my people go!" Kick ass. Keep. Parting the Red Sea. More kick ass. Keep. Remember to borrow that for a Lord of the Rings movie.Dietary restrictions. What? We like bacon. (Whispering among themselves) 'Jesus says, "God changed his mind. Pork is OK."'Burnt offering. Kinda stupid. Skip it.God destroys Sodom. Kick ass. Keeper. Jesus says God was serious about the gay part.Stonings. Really? Skip it.
If everybody is thinking the same thing, then somebody isn't thinking.
- General George Patton

#148 vbnautilus

vbnautilus

psychonaut

• Members
  • 10,326 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 05:38 PM

View PostBalloon guy, on Monday, March 8th, 2010, 5:31 PM, said:

Well, I would, but that is because I have found the truth, you guys are believing a lie based on bad interpretations of the data, which is why I am laughing when you guys try to 'save' me.It is kind of like a person says they are on their way to Hawaii, but they take the 5 north, now you can chuckle and try to tell them that they really need to look at the 10 east, but that isn't really helping. Sure you are right that they are wrong, but you don't know what is right. In the mean time I will point them to the 405 and LAX and they will arrive at their destination, all while you guys are spinning your wheels on the 10 driving through west Texas trying to tell yourselves that you are getting closer every day.
I just wanted to check that we are on the same page as far as wanting to know what the truth is regardless of whether it is the most beneficial truth.

#149 Randy Reed

Randy Reed

Words up!

• Members
  • 7,916 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 09:01 AM

Four Catholic men and a Catholic woman were having coffee.> > > The first Catholic man tells his friends, "My son is a priest, when he walks > into a room, everyone calls him 'Father'."> > The second Catholic man chirps, "My son is a Bishop. When he walks into a > room people call him 'Your Grace'."> > > The third Catholic gent says, "My son is a Cardinal. When he enters a room > everyone says 'Your Eminence'."> > > The fourth Catholic man then says, "My son is the Pope. When he walks into a > room people call him 'Your Holiness'."> > > Since the lone Catholic woman was sipping her coffee in silence, the four > men give her a subtle, "Well....?"> She proudly replies, "I have a daughter,> > > Slim,> > > Tall,> > > 38D breast,> > > 24" waist and> > > 34" hips.> > > When she walks into a room, people say, "Oh My God."
Waiting for the winds of change
To sweep the clouds away
Waiting for the rainbow's end
To cast its gold your way
Countless ways
You pass the days

#150 timwakefield

timwakefield

I haven't got the time time

• Members
  • 14,413 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:Boxmaha

Posted 01 October 2011 - 12:41 AM

View PostCaneBrain, on Tuesday, March 2nd, 2010, 1:03 PM, said:

The next time a super bowl loser walks off the field and tells the press 'God just decided it was not our day'......you let me know.

[Adrian] Gonzalez sat in a chair in front of his locker and insisted that it was all part of God's plan that the Red Sox failed to make the playoffs."It's definitely something that we didn't plan for. We were wholly confident that we would make the playoffs but it didn't happen," he said. "We didn't do a better job with the lead. I'm a firm believer that God has a plan and it wasn't in his plan for us to move forward."Asked what he saw from the team this month, Gonzalez stayed on his theme."God didn't have it in the cards for us," he said.
http://www.boston.co...crawford_a.htmlHow about if you'd come up big for us even ONCE during the last few weeks of the season we would have made it? How about if you'd managed even one single RBI or extra-base hit during our final 3-game series in Baltimore we would have made it. Asshole.
Karl: She was a bit -- what's the word that you can use, cuz I don't wanna offend anyone?
Steve: Was she a homeless person?
Karl: Yeah but sort of mental homeless.

#151 speedz99

speedz99

It don't matter to Jesus.

• Members
  • 28,085 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 09:36 AM

View Posttimwakefield, on Saturday, October 1st, 2011, 1:41 AM, said:

How about if you'd come up big for us even ONCE during the last few weeks of the season we would have made it? How about if you'd managed even one single RBI or extra-base hit during our final 3-game series in Baltimore we would have made it. Asshole.
But how could he do that if it wasn't in god's plan?
You got a date Wednesday, baby!

#152 phlegm

phlegm

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 09:37 AM

View Posttimwakefield, on Saturday, October 1st, 2011, 1:41 AM, said:

http://www.boston.co...crawford_a.htmlHow about if you'd come up big for us even ONCE during the last few weeks of the season we would have made it? How about if you'd managed even one single RBI or extra-base hit during our final 3-game series in Baltimore we would have made it. Asshole.
Didnt you understand anything he said?SW
I am not an alcoholic

I am a drunk

Alcoholics go to meetings

#153 Balloon guy

Balloon guy

Deplorable Lives Matter

• Members
  • 24,409 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 07:02 PM

View Postphlegm, on Saturday, October 1st, 2011, 10:37 AM, said:

Didnt you understand anything he said?
And VB is trying to say us Christians are dumb....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users