49 replies to this topic

#41 cdipierr

cdipierr

Poker Forum Groupie

• Members
  • 901 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 11:23 AM

View Post30odd6, on Thursday, February 25th, 2010, 10:00 AM, said:

one more question...does daniels teaching of small bal say raise 3xbb+1 per limper??? thx for the answer. and some thoughts to the comment above, if any
To be serious for a moment, no that's not Daniel's style. However, please realize that Daniel is talking about tournaments that are extremely deep where he has a perceived significant edge over the field postflop.The specific hypothetical hand you created in the other thread is a short stack situation (despite your arguing that 18BBs is somehow deep). In this thread, the structure you specified isn't that deep either. Your initial M is 50, and you have 30 minute levels. Playing "small ball" is much more difficult in structures like this because even small bets commit large portions of your stack and you're going to run into a lot of people who have smaller stacks that are going to jam on your small raises.

#42 30odd6

30odd6

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 65 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:strip

Posted 25 February 2010 - 11:23 AM

ahhhh fuk it! my mind works too fast, and i cant type what i think. oh well...no teaching jobs in the future LOL

#43 30odd6

30odd6

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 65 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:strip

Posted 25 February 2010 - 06:47 PM

View Postcdipierr, on Thursday, February 25th, 2010, 1:23 PM, said:

To be serious for a moment, no that's not Daniel's style. However, please realize that Daniel is talking about tournaments that are extremely deep where he has a perceived significant edge over the field postflop.The specific hypothetical hand you created in the other thread is a short stack situation (despite your arguing that 18BBs is somehow deep). In this thread, the structure you specified isn't that deep either. Your initial M is 50, and you have 30 minute levels. Playing "small ball" is much more difficult in structures like this because even small bets commit large portions of your stack and you're going to run into a lot of people who have smaller stacks that are going to jam on your small raises.
DUDE !!! it was the first hand of a tourny and were sitting on 100x BB....what other scenario falls under "small ball theory" sure later on you need to get aggressive/ weary/ tight. this is what i talk about when people wear blinders. so much ABC poker that people lose the the concept of playing "said" hand at "said" time, and reading "said" hand. its always: this is the way to play every hand at every point in the tourny.i dont care if i have a million chips or 20BB, i'm playin the odds, and with chips, i'm extremely hard to beat. i'm like merlin, or patrick jane on the mentalist. i see what you have and can see 5 moves ahead to what should/can be done.

#44 SwolyswoND

SwolyswoND

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 1,170 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:Limit Hold Em, Razz

Posted 25 February 2010 - 07:49 PM

Daniel's game is for tourneys where you are WAYYYY more than 100 BBs deep.
QUOTE (Ninja Ace @ Wednesday, March 24th, 2010, 2:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Flops are kind of like vagina's. The wetter they are, the harder you hit them.

#45 cdipierr

cdipierr

Poker Forum Groupie

• Members
  • 901 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 06:36 AM

View PostSwolyswoND, on Thursday, February 25th, 2010, 7:49 PM, said:

Daniel's game is for tourneys where you are WAYYYY more than 100 BBs deep.
This x 100

#46 cashman

cashman

Poker Forum Regular

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 12:11 PM

View PostTrueAce13, on Wednesday, February 24th, 2010, 6:13 PM, said:

lolz at discussing strategy...i think the people in this thread have all said pretty much the same strat...your a joke if you think playing like this is going to keep...i mean make you a winning player. Realize that your not as good as you think, and stop arguing when better players tell you you made a mistake
No need to get all wound up w/A10s so early in a deepstack tourney. Only way I am getting a lot of chips involved here is if I get two hearts on the flop (and then maybe I start firing a bit more). Why race off a big chunk of your stack so early with a very marginal hand. The end result, you lost 33% of your stack w/a pair of of 10s in the baby stages of a big tournament. Only way I am willing to commit that much here is if there is a chance I will have 20k chips by the end of the hand. What HE had and how HE played really doesn't matter. I would question why I invested so much w/a pair of 10s at this point in the tourney. Small ball is the only way to go this early. This would be a decent question only if you were in the late stages of the tournament.

#47 Mercury69

Mercury69

Half man! Half man!

• Members
  • 14,244 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:NLHE

Posted 12 March 2010 - 12:38 PM

I, for one, am not as good as I think I am.
"We had all the momentum. We were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look west, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark, that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back." —Raoul Duke, Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas

"Those are brave men knocking at the door. Let's go and kill them!" - Tyrion Lannister

#48 cashman

cashman

Poker Forum Regular

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 12:42 PM

View Post30odd6, on Thursday, February 25th, 2010, 6:47 PM, said:

DUDE !!! it was the first hand of a tourny and were sitting on 100x BB....what other scenario falls under "small ball theory" sure later on you need to get aggressive/ weary/ tight. this is what i talk about when people wear blinders. so much ABC poker that people lose the the concept of playing "said" hand at "said" time, and reading "said" hand. its always: this is the way to play every hand at every point in the tourny.i dont care if i have a million chips or 20BB, i'm playin the odds, and with chips, i'm extremely hard to beat. i'm like merlin, or patrick jane on the mentalist. i see what you have and can see 5 moves ahead to what should/can be done.
LOL. I agree. Jesus, how many tournaments out there give you starting stacks of 100x the bb on the 2nd level. I mean other than the Main Event I don't know of any.

#49 outsider13

outsider13

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 4,132 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 12:59 PM

View Postcashman, on Friday, March 12th, 2010, 2:42 PM, said:

LOL. I agree. Jesus, how many tournaments out there give you starting stacks of 100x the bb on the 2nd level. I mean other than the Main Event I don't know of any.
Ummm, a lot. 3000 starting chips, blinds 2nd level 15/30 = 100x bb. So that narrows it down to more than I care to count.

#50 grindkid

grindkid

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 39 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:NL Holdem, 2-7 triple draw lowball

Posted 16 March 2010 - 08:28 AM

Personally, i find at the early stages of a tournament, regardless of wheter its deepstack or not, it is best to get a feel of your table, I would limp in to see flop and maybe call small raise. Why risk your chips so early n a tournament? I try to get in as many cheap pots as possible early on with a wide range of hands, if i flat call or min raise and I get re-raised, depending on the holding cards and players in pot etc. i can easily fold. Dont fall into the trap of "I HAVE TO RAISE WIT THIS AND I HAVE TO FLAT CALL THAT" because every situation is different and any half decent players will figure you out. keep mixing it up create yourself an image. Hpe this is some help to you. Listen to what has been said to you, from what i gather there are some very good/successful playrs here offering their advice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users