Leno Back To 11:30, Conan To Unemployment Line.

• Please log in to reply
161 replies to this topic

#21 Balloon guy

Balloon guy

Respect my Raises!!!!!!

• Members
  • 23,054 posts
  • Interests:Cigars, Flying, Golf, Bible
  • Favorite Poker Game:Golf

Posted 08 January 2010 - 02:27 PM

View PostSpeed Limit, on Friday, January 8th, 2010, 2:18 PM, said:

Disagree, Conan is one of the most sophisticated guys in the comedy world. Also he gave this world the gift that is The Sea Captain.
Posted Image
I use my cigar smoke as idiot repellent

“Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed: everything else is public relations.” ― George Orwell

#22 brvheart

brvheart

I'm the best.

• Members
  • 22,995 posts
  • Interests:Playing in nuclear fallout.
  • Favorite Poker Game:I play 100/200 live with my best friend Jason.

Posted 08 January 2010 - 10:21 PM

BG, you're just dead wrong here.
CAPITALISM: God's way of determining who is smart and who is poor. - Ron Swanson ---> Video:Ron's Pyramid of Greatness Picture: Poster Size

View PostSuitedAces21, on 20 August 2012 - 11:14 AM, said:

tilt you suck.

View PostEssay21, on 25 February 2013 - 08:32 PM, said:

titly suck a dick bitch

#23 king_tanner

king_tanner

Poker Forum C***

• Members
  • 11,087 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:Crazy Pineapple hi/lo

Posted 08 January 2010 - 10:41 PM

The thing I like about Conan is that when he does an interview he makes it more like a conversation than just a guest telling a story. All Jay does is ask a question which is a setup to the guest's story and then lets the guest talk to themself. It looks like Jay doesn't say anything except for stuff that is written for him. It does seem like Conan does a lot of interrupting and he is the center of attention not the guest. So I agree with BG there.I think Letterman is the best at putting the spotlight on the guests. The problem is that most guests (even the real famous ones) are usually boring. The three late night guys I watch if I'm up is Conan, Kimmel, and Ferguson. I like Kimmel and Ferguson because they are good at making fun of the guests. Usually the guests have no idea that they are being made fun of which makes it even better.

QUOTE (rcgs59 @ Wednesday, January 5th, 2011, 8:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
$5,000 lol wish it was 5000

#24 Suited_Up

Suited_Up

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 25,723 posts
  • Interests:Poker and Sports

Posted 09 January 2010 - 08:18 AM

Ferguson is great cause it seems like he really doesn't give a shit. Did anyone else see his 1000th episode? He did it entirely with puppets!
-Kurt

#25 Balloon guy

Balloon guy

Respect my Raises!!!!!!

• Members
  • 23,054 posts
  • Interests:Cigars, Flying, Golf, Bible
  • Favorite Poker Game:Golf

Posted 09 January 2010 - 10:28 AM

I would say Ferguson is by far the best on late night. Of course the competition is weak.What gets me the most is the scripted jokes that they do, the complete lack of effort to transition into a story and the way they have turned the whole show genre into a scripted cut and paste formula.Do 6 jokes, make fun of the bandlong commercialsDo a game/skit/segment that they've done 50 times beforelong commercialsIntroduce actor plugging movielong commercialsCommence poor interview with pre-planned joke set ups and deliverieslong commercialsRepeat with lessor known actorlong commercialsSongEndFerguson is good because although he has his canned bits, he seems to be 'star-struck' in his interviews, which makes him much more interested in getting to know the actor/famous person. I think Kimmel was more willing to acknowledge the intelligence of the audience, especially with his long running Matt Damon joke that was probably the funniest thing ever in late night talk show history overall.
I use my cigar smoke as idiot repellent

“Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed: everything else is public relations.” ― George Orwell

#26 colonel Feathers

colonel Feathers

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 03:45 PM

Bill Maher, if he would back off the political commentary.
I dont suffer from delusions

I enjoy them

#27 Speed Limit

Speed Limit

Broseph Ballin'

• Members
  • 3,295 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:PLO

Posted 11 January 2010 - 11:49 PM

http://tv.gawker.com...an-and-ferguson
Limidonks superfan

Pinpoint music

FCBL: Nuclear Scientists (14-18)

#28 Mills

Mills

Poker Forum Groupie

• Members
  • 557 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 12:13 AM

View PostBalloon guy, on Saturday, January 9th, 2010, 10:28 AM, said:

I would say Ferguson is by far the best on late night. Of course the competition is weak.What gets me the most is the scripted jokes that they do, the complete lack of effort to transition into a story and the way they have turned the whole show genre into a scripted cut and paste formula.Do 6 jokes, make fun of the bandlong commercialsDo a game/skit/segment that they've done 50 times beforelong commercialsIntroduce actor plugging movielong commercialsCommence poor interview with pre-planned joke set ups and deliverieslong commercialsRepeat with lessor known actorlong commercialsSongEnd
Yea, late night in general kinda sucks... I used to be a fan of conan's.. But seriously, how many years can the phoney self deprication schtick still be considered funny?

#29 rjkdb8

rjkdb8

Poker Forum Regular

• Members
  • 230 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:NLHE

Posted 12 January 2010 - 08:03 AM

View Postcolonel Feathers, on Sunday, January 10th, 2010, 3:45 PM, said:

Bill Maher, if he would back off the political commentary.
Bob Costas, if he would stop talking about sports all the time.

#30 LongLiveYorke

LongLiveYorke

Ending the world one proton at a time

• Members
  • 8,355 posts
  • Interests:fizziks, teh maths, Raid-o-head, Rod Reynolds

Posted 12 January 2010 - 12:25 PM

People of Earth: In the last few days, Iíve been getting a lot of sympathy calls, and I want to start by making it clear that no one should waste a second feeling sorry for me. For 17 years, Iíve been getting paid to do what I love most and, in a world with real problems, Iíve been absurdly lucky. That said, Iíve been suddenly put in a very public predicament and my bosses are demanding an immediate decision. Six years ago, I signed a contract with NBC to take over The Tonight Show in June of 2009. Like a lot of us, I grew up watching Johnny Carson every night and the chance to one day sit in that chair has meant everything to me. I worked long and hard to get that opportunity, passed up far more lucrative offers, and since 2004 I have spent literally hundreds of hours thinking of ways to extend the franchise long into the future. It was my mistaken belief that, like my predecessor, I would have the benefit of some time and, just as important, some degree of ratings support from the prime-time schedule. Building a lasting audience at 11:30 is impossible without both. But sadly, we were never given that chance. After only seven months, with my Tonight Show in its infancy, NBC has decided to react to their terrible difficulties in prime-time by making a change in their long-established late night schedule. Last Thursday, NBC executives told me they intended to move the Tonight Show to 12:05 to accommodate the Jay Leno Show at 11:35. For 60 years the Tonight Show has aired immediately following the late local news. I sincerely believe that delaying the Tonight Show into the next day to accommodate another comedy program will seriously damage what I consider to be the greatest franchise in the history of broadcasting. The Tonight Show at 12:05 simply isnít the Tonight Show. Also, if I accept this move I will be knocking the Late Night show, which I inherited from David Letterman and passed on to Jimmy Fallon, out of its long-held time slot. That would hurt the other NBC franchise that I love, and it would be unfair to Jimmy. So it has come to this: I cannot express in words how much I enjoy hosting this program and what an enormous personal disappointment it is for me to consider losing it. My staff and I have worked unbelievably hard and we are very proud of our contribution to the legacy of The Tonight Show. But I cannot participate in what I honestly believe is its destruction. Some people will make the argument that with DVRs and the Internet a time slot doesnít matter. But with the Tonight Show, I believe nothing could matter more. There has been speculation about my going to another network but, to set the record straight, I currently have no other offer and honestly have no idea what happens next. My hope is that NBC and I can resolve this quickly so that my staff, crew, and I can do a show we can be proud of, for a company that values our work. Have a great day and, for the record, I am truly sorry about my hair; itís always been that way. Yours, Conan

#31 Naked_Cowboy

Naked_Cowboy

the dynamo of volition

• Members
  • 4,479 posts
  • Interests:playing all your best games

Posted 12 January 2010 - 12:41 PM

i respect the hell out of conan
~certified bumhunter~

#32 DrawingDeadInDM

DrawingDeadInDM

BCS Bound

• Members
  • 18,247 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 12:46 PM

I've always really liked Conan.. but I wasn't ever really sure how his show would translate to the 10:35 CST spot. Leno being on at 9:00 CST killed him.
I'm also fed up with the common cold but I just hate to say goodbye.

#33 LongLiveYorke

LongLiveYorke

• Members
  • 8,355 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 12:59 PM

Conan's a great guy. I'm shocked NBC hasn't given his new show the time it needs to fully grow and develop. The issue was that his comedy style differs greatly from Leno's, and is much more akin to Letterman's. It's silly and outrageous. Leno's is watered down, obvious, and bland.So, Conan lost a lot of people who would regularly watch Leno. This should have been anticipated by any network that knew anything about TV. Conan needed to be given a lot of time to drain a lot of Letterman's audience, especially the younger people, and to get the old Leno audience used to him. Also, Conan needed time to get used to his new show. I don't think he was able to relax, which is understandable seeing how he was only on for a bit over half a year. Conan is at his best when he's off the cuff, when he's able to be himself, and when he's not trying to be funny but instead is funny because he can't help it. He clearly had this mindset on his old show, but moving to the tonight show put a lot of pressure on him (he's a very professional guy), and he wasn't yet able to adjust to that mounting pressure (which only grew as ratings stayed pretty low). Conan will be back if he wants to be. If not, he'll still be rich and will collect a LOT of money from NBC for a long time. But TV is his life, and I see him doing another show in some way. It's hard to imagine him doing another late night show; I don't think he'd feel comfortable competing directly against Jimmy, and if Leno is reinstated, I don't think he wants to compete against him and have the Leno vs Conan issue haunt him. I'm not yet sure where he'll fit in. Maybe he'll find a 10 pm spot somewhere on Fox or cable or what not.

#34 JoeyJoJo

JoeyJoJo

On the road to 8,143 (approximately)

• Members
  • 8,140 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 01:08 PM

So what's going on at 10 now? More Law and Order spin-offs?
Homer: Moe, I need your advice.
Moe: Yeah?
Homer: See, I got this friend named... Joey Jo Jo... Junior... Shabadoo.
Moe: That's the worst name I ever heard.

#35 LongLiveYorke

LongLiveYorke

• Members
  • 8,355 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 01:11 PM

View PostJoeyJoJo, on Tuesday, January 12th, 2010, 4:08 PM, said:

So what's going on at 10 now? More Law and Order spin-offs?
Hopefully Seinfeld and Office reruns. I don't think 3 hours worth of each a day is enough.

#36 keith crime

keith crime

Ron Mexico's ghostwriter

• Members
  • 7,435 posts
  • Interests:flesh peddling

Posted 12 January 2010 - 01:14 PM

conan tells nbc - blow mehttp://blog.zap2it.c...ow-at-1205.html

#37 JoeyJoJo

JoeyJoJo

On the road to 8,143 (approximately)

• Members
  • 8,140 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 01:20 PM

View Postkeith crime, on Tuesday, January 12th, 2010, 1:14 PM, said:

Conan's a great guy. I'm shocked NBC hasn't given his new show the time it needs to fully grow and develop. The issue was that his comedy style differs greatly from Leno's, and is much more akin to Letterman's. It's silly and outrageous. Leno's is watered down, obvious, and bland.So, Conan lost a lot of people who would regularly watch Leno. This should have been anticipated by any network that knew anything about TV. Conan needed to be given a lot of time to drain a lot of Letterman's audience, especially the younger people, and to get the old Leno audience used to him. Also, Conan needed time to get used to his new show. I don't think he was able to relax, which is understandable seeing how he was only on for a bit over half a year. Conan is at his best when he's off the cuff, when he's able to be himself, and when he's not trying to be funny but instead is funny because he can't help it. He clearly had this mindset on his old show, but moving to the tonight show put a lot of pressure on him (he's a very professional guy), and he wasn't yet able to adjust to that mounting pressure (which only grew as ratings stayed pretty low). Conan will be back if he wants to be. If not, he'll still be rich and will collect a LOT of money from NBC for a long time. But TV is his life, and I see him doing another show in some way. It's hard to imagine him doing another late night show; I don't think he'd feel comfortable competing directly against Jimmy, and if Leno is reinstated, I don't think he wants to compete against him and have the Leno vs Conan issue haunt him. I'm not yet sure where he'll fit in. Maybe he'll find a 10 pm spot somewhere on Fox or cable or what not.
Homer: Moe, I need your advice.
Moe: Yeah?
Homer: See, I got this friend named... Joey Jo Jo... Junior... Shabadoo.
Moe: That's the worst name I ever heard.

#38 Speed Limit

Speed Limit

Broseph Ballin'

• Members
  • 3,295 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:PLO

Posted 12 January 2010 - 01:20 PM

View Postkeith crime, on Tuesday, January 12th, 2010, 4:14 PM, said:

Redundancy is caring.
Limidonks superfan

Pinpoint music

FCBL: Nuclear Scientists (14-18)

#39 runthemover

runthemover

jano way

• Members
  • 6,922 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 01:22 PM

how can you "respect the hell out of someone"?

#40 LongLiveYorke

LongLiveYorke

• Members
  • 8,355 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 01:25 PM

View PostJoeyJoJo, on Tuesday, January 12th, 2010, 4:20 PM, said:

Conan's a great guy. I'm shocked NBC hasn't given his new show the time it needs to fully grow and develop.
I read the first three sentences or so and said to myself, "Yeah, I really agree with what Joey is writing here".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users