Jump to content


Sng Grinder Thread


  • Please log in to reply
700 replies to this topic

#41 lurbz

lurbz

    how many george brett

  • Members
  • 4,284 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:USA
  • Favorite Poker Game:Reichmode

Posted 31 December 2009 - 10:01 AM

View Postoutsider13, on Thursday, December 31st, 2009, 9:55 AM, said:

Def Fold. No need to gamble like this early.I agree with urbz. I prob just call pre and setmine because stacks make postflop a little awkward and there's a ton of flops that hate us. The raise isn't horrible pre, it's just easier to play by not raising. As played though, I think ipits.Just shove his raise pre. It's unexploitable and you have AJ bvb. Be happy to get that in, just win next time.I don't see anything wrong with that. Btw, don't you guys in 45s change your raise sizes? In stts, I'd be raising like 500 in this spot. It's pretty standard for a lot of high volume regs. Just wondering if the 45s are like that in the 15-20bb stack area.
Honestly rare to have stacks like this this late, I suppose I could have gone 535/565 which are my standard two, but I got lazy.Villain had JJ, sick flop for half my stack.
BBsRJReich on Stars, DaemonReich on FTP, PM me for SNG coaching!

Moderator34 [Moderator]: Hello Everyone, please give me a moment or two to review the chat log.
BBsRJReich: mod34!
BBsRJReich: <3<3<3
BBsRJReich: youre my favorite mod

PuckSniper23 [observer]: hi 34 <3
tbrick412 [observer]: ko8e34?
tbrick412 [observer]: or mod34?[/color]
Moderator34 [Moderator]: Thank you, your my favorite player :D

[23:57] lurbz28: just depends on what kinda girl you want
[23:57] Tbrick286: one with a pulse

#42 RakeMyBlind

RakeMyBlind

    Poker Forum Regular

  • Members
  • 242 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Favorite Poker Game:SNG's/MTT's

Posted 31 December 2009 - 10:16 AM

Does anyone know anything about Sharkscope HUD's. Is it worth having? Is it legal? I remember hearing something about them being against rules.

#43 lurbz

lurbz

    how many george brett

  • Members
  • 4,284 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:USA
  • Favorite Poker Game:Reichmode

Posted 31 December 2009 - 10:29 AM

View PostRakeMyBlind, on Thursday, December 31st, 2009, 10:16 AM, said:

Does anyone know anything about Sharkscope HUD's. Is it worth having? Is it legal? I remember hearing something about them being against rules.
Illegal to use SS while playing.Is my call as bad as I think it is?Posted ImageFeral Cow Poker Hand ConverterPokerStars No-Limit Hold'em ($11+$1) t400/t800 ante t50 - 8 playersUTG: t9,422 UTG+1: t9,454 MP: t9,148 HJ: t7,815 CO: t3,126 Button: t5,263 SB: t8,209 (Hero)BB: t15,063 Preflop: (t1,600) Hero is SB with :club: :ts (8 players)UTG folds, UTG+1 raises to t9404 and is all-in, 4 folds, Hero calls t7759 and is all-in, BB foldsFlop: (t17,518) :jh :4h :3h (2 players)Turn: (t17,518) :qh (2 players)River: (t17,518) :5c (2 players)
Spoiler

BBsRJReich on Stars, DaemonReich on FTP, PM me for SNG coaching!

Moderator34 [Moderator]: Hello Everyone, please give me a moment or two to review the chat log.
BBsRJReich: mod34!
BBsRJReich: <3<3<3
BBsRJReich: youre my favorite mod

PuckSniper23 [observer]: hi 34 <3
tbrick412 [observer]: ko8e34?
tbrick412 [observer]: or mod34?[/color]
Moderator34 [Moderator]: Thank you, your my favorite player :D

[23:57] lurbz28: just depends on what kinda girl you want
[23:57] Tbrick286: one with a pulse

#44 coug2828

coug2828

    Poker Forum Veteran

  • Members
  • 1,099 posts
  • Location:seattle, wa

Posted 31 December 2009 - 10:37 AM

if i was the hero in this spot, i'd deposit an extra 50 bucks so i don't have to play $1 sng's.edit: i quoted the wrong hand, it was supposed to be the one with 99 in the BB having to fold to an open shove for 50 bb's2nd edit: i meant this hand

Quote

No read as it's very early but this is a micro level, and I would like you to take that into consideration.PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 1.1 Tournament, 15/30 Blinds (8 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.comUTG (t1500)UTG+1 (t1480)MP1 (t1670)MP2 (t1570)CO (t1110)Button (t1370)Hero (SB) (t2290)BB (t2510)Hero's M: 50.89Preflop: Hero is SB with 9 , 9 UTG bets t1500 (All-In), 5 folds, Hero???


#45 tbrick412

tbrick412

    cellar dweller

  • Members
  • 2,306 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Iowa
  • Interests:Poker, video games, attending college, drinking.
  • Favorite Poker Game:NL Hold 'Em SNG's/MTT's

Posted 31 December 2009 - 11:13 AM

just fold the 9's to that guys spazz shove in that hand posted earlier. also I thought it was allowed to use SS now since they have that opt-in system going?
tbrick412(cedar falls) on stars/ftp
tbrick286 on AIM

#46 RakeMyBlind

RakeMyBlind

    Poker Forum Regular

  • Members
  • 242 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Favorite Poker Game:SNG's/MTT's

Posted 31 December 2009 - 11:17 AM

View Posttbrick412, on Thursday, December 31st, 2009, 2:13 PM, said:

just fold the 9's to that guys spazz shove in that hand posted earlier. also I thought it was allowed to use SS now since they have that opt-in system going?
I guess I need to e-mail Tilt/Stars support and find out for sure.

#47 Chet Chetterson

Chet Chetterson

    Poker Forum Veteran

  • Members
  • 1,191 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Arizona
  • Favorite Poker Game:Micro SnG's with donkeys

Posted 31 December 2009 - 12:05 PM

View Postcoug2828, on Thursday, December 31st, 2009, 11:37 AM, said:

if i was the hero in this spot, i'd deposit an extra 50 bucks so i don't have to play $1 sng's.edit: i quoted the wrong hand, it was supposed to be the one with 99 in the BB having to fold to an open shove for 50 bb's2nd edit: i meant this hand
Both of my posted hands were in 1.10 90-man turbos, which have been the most profitable for me. Unfortunately there are no non-turbo 90 mans right now on Stars. For the preflop 99s what is the minimum I call that spazz shove with? AA and KK obviously, and AK probably, where do AQ, QQ, JJ fit in this range?
ckmcheetah on Pokerstars and FTP




#48 jmbreslin

jmbreslin

    Poker Forum Veteran

  • Members
  • 4,788 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:8-Game

Posted 31 December 2009 - 12:17 PM

Wee, count me in. Just returned to SnGs after a vacation playing cash NLHE, followed by cash PLO. Tourney poker will always have my heart. These days I'm playing $3.40 turbo STTs with some $3.25 45's mixed in.
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching." - Anonymous

#49 jmbreslin

jmbreslin

    Poker Forum Veteran

  • Members
  • 4,788 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:8-Game

Posted 31 December 2009 - 12:24 PM

View Postlurbz, on Thursday, December 31st, 2009, 1:29 PM, said:

Is my call as bad as I think it is?
I think so. He's not super-short, he's shoving 10BB from UTG+1. You're behind his range here. You're most likely flipping against a PP, but with 10BB yourself you don't need to call off your stack as a coinflip dog. Remote possibilities are hands like AJ or KQs, but those are offset by the hands that have you crushed (AA/KK/QQ/AK). Plus you'll have prime stealing position for the next few hands.
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching." - Anonymous

#50 lurbz

lurbz

    how many george brett

  • Members
  • 4,284 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:USA
  • Favorite Poker Game:Reichmode

Posted 31 December 2009 - 12:25 PM

View PostChet Chetterson, on Thursday, December 31st, 2009, 12:05 PM, said:

Both of my posted hands were in 1.10 90-man turbos, which have been the most profitable for me. Unfortunately there are no non-turbo 90 mans right now on Stars. For the preflop 99s what is the minimum I call that spazz shove with? AA and KK obviously, and AK probably, where do AQ, QQ, JJ fit in this range?
I call off JJ-AA here.AK I fold.
BBsRJReich on Stars, DaemonReich on FTP, PM me for SNG coaching!

Moderator34 [Moderator]: Hello Everyone, please give me a moment or two to review the chat log.
BBsRJReich: mod34!
BBsRJReich: <3<3<3
BBsRJReich: youre my favorite mod

PuckSniper23 [observer]: hi 34 <3
tbrick412 [observer]: ko8e34?
tbrick412 [observer]: or mod34?[/color]
Moderator34 [Moderator]: Thank you, your my favorite player :D

[23:57] lurbz28: just depends on what kinda girl you want
[23:57] Tbrick286: one with a pulse

#51 lurbz

lurbz

    how many george brett

  • Members
  • 4,284 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:USA
  • Favorite Poker Game:Reichmode

Posted 31 December 2009 - 12:27 PM

View Postjmbreslin, on Thursday, December 31st, 2009, 12:24 PM, said:

I think so. He's not super-short, he's shoving 10BB from UTG+1. You're behind his range here. You're most likely flipping against a PP, but with 10BB yourself you don't need to call off your stack as a coinflip dog. Remote possibilities are hands like AJ or KQs, but those are offset by the hands that have you crushed (AA/KK/QQ/AK). Plus you'll have prime stealing position for the next few hands.
Yeah I called while multitabling and then said "oh shit" but results were nice.[x] luckbox
BBsRJReich on Stars, DaemonReich on FTP, PM me for SNG coaching!

Moderator34 [Moderator]: Hello Everyone, please give me a moment or two to review the chat log.
BBsRJReich: mod34!
BBsRJReich: <3<3<3
BBsRJReich: youre my favorite mod

PuckSniper23 [observer]: hi 34 <3
tbrick412 [observer]: ko8e34?
tbrick412 [observer]: or mod34?[/color]
Moderator34 [Moderator]: Thank you, your my favorite player :D

[23:57] lurbz28: just depends on what kinda girl you want
[23:57] Tbrick286: one with a pulse

#52 jmbreslin

jmbreslin

    Poker Forum Veteran

  • Members
  • 4,788 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:8-Game

Posted 31 December 2009 - 12:29 PM

View Postlurbz, on Tuesday, December 29th, 2009, 7:20 PM, said:

In response to your question, $1.10 DoN SNGs are going to be difficult to beat the rake in, as are $1.20s. I may go down to the $0.25 45 and 90 mans and play those, there's no rake to be paid and I would imagine them to be super soft. You'll probably be able to beat the DoNs enough to get started but the rake is just awful. If you can get to around $50, I'd say start going at the $3.25 6 max SNGs or $1.10 45 mans, and then if you drop back to $30 going back to DoNs until you're able to get back and have success in the 6 max/45 mans. My main suggestion would be the 45 mans but I don't know your play well enough to give you a definitive answer.
Those things are super high variance. The $1.10 45's are good roll-builders, though the variance can also get pretty frustrating in those. OP might be better off just starting with the basic STTs to build some momentum.
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching." - Anonymous

#53 Chet Chetterson

Chet Chetterson

    Poker Forum Veteran

  • Members
  • 1,191 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Arizona
  • Favorite Poker Game:Micro SnG's with donkeys

Posted 31 December 2009 - 01:10 PM

View Postjmbreslin, on Thursday, December 31st, 2009, 1:29 PM, said:

Those things are super high variance. The $1.10 45's are good roll-builders, though the variance can also get pretty frustrating in those. OP might be better off just starting with the basic STTs to build some momentum.
The 1.10 90 mans are good roll builders as well from my experience. I prefer them to the 45-mans as the structure is slower and it pays better when you reach top 3.
ckmcheetah on Pokerstars and FTP




#54 tbrick412

tbrick412

    cellar dweller

  • Members
  • 2,306 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Iowa
  • Interests:Poker, video games, attending college, drinking.
  • Favorite Poker Game:NL Hold 'Em SNG's/MTT's

Posted 31 December 2009 - 01:27 PM

yup, STT's are great roll builders and most concepts are fairly simple and easy to learn.
tbrick412(cedar falls) on stars/ftp
tbrick286 on AIM

#55 Chet Chetterson

Chet Chetterson

    Poker Forum Veteran

  • Members
  • 1,191 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Arizona
  • Favorite Poker Game:Micro SnG's with donkeys

Posted 31 December 2009 - 02:18 PM

I am having struggles with how to deal with people limping in the later stages of the SNG. In the micro levels players like to limp monster hands that they should be raising with to catch others with strong hands who properly shove in a given situation. Is there any way to combat this or do you just have to shove and accept that you were trapped?
ckmcheetah on Pokerstars and FTP




#56 Shark527

Shark527

    Poker Forum Veteran

  • Members
  • 1,114 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Indiana
  • Favorite Poker Game:Limit cash games and NL tournies

Posted 31 December 2009 - 03:08 PM

View Postcoug2828, on Wednesday, December 30th, 2009, 11:16 AM, said:

been mostly playing MTT's recently but this might inspire me to get back into grinding sng's a little more.as for thisi can see a case for either. folding and not mixing it up with a big stack here is the safest/smartest way to a cash(obv). fold makes even more sense with a few other small stacks on the verge of going out. open shove from utg leads me to thinking fold also...but i've had more than the 15 second time bank to think about it, things look a little different in the moment. that said, i don't think a call is too bad. with a small stack calling there's a little added insurance of him getting busted and allowing me to squeak into a min-cash even if i lose. if i call and win the hand, i coast to the top 3 which is where the majority of the money is.

View Postpotatoman, on Wednesday, December 30th, 2009, 11:59 AM, said:

I would personally have folded A8 in this spot, knowing that people will incorrectly make hero calls with as little as KQs/44's. Against regs, you can sometimes be a bit looser with your shoves, since they will have very predictable call ranges.Nice thread.

View Postoutsider13, on Wednesday, December 30th, 2009, 3:28 PM, said:

The AK is a call. I mean, it's pretty much the nuts right, and maybe if sweetbiscuit had a stack we could argue a fold. But when shorty is calling off 2.5bb, it can be virtually anything so that really shouldn't weigh in the decision.And yes, the A8 should be discussed, I'm pretty sure you know that's horrible with a 20bb stack this far oop. (edit, is it the bubble? If so, not too bad, but still pretty wide range)
You said yourself you rarely raise at a FT. And you said this villian was not a reg so he is probably interpreting your shove as weak. I can see an argument for folding because he'll be in the money in a few hands with a very decent stack relative to the table, but my personal opinion is to play for the win.I like SNG's but I don't ahve the time to put a much volume in, just dabble every once in a while. I would definitely like to start playing more. Great idea for a thread.

View Postlurbz, on Thursday, December 31st, 2009, 11:29 AM, said:

Illegal to use SS while playing.Is my call as bad as I think it is?Posted ImageFeral Cow Poker Hand ConverterPokerStars No-Limit Hold'em ($11+$1) t400/t800 ante t50 - 8 playersUTG: t9,422 UTG+1: t9,454 MP: t9,148 HJ: t7,815 CO: t3,126 Button: t5,263 SB: t8,209 (Hero)BB: t15,063 Preflop: (t1,600) Hero is SB with :club: :ts (8 players)UTG folds, UTG+1 raises to t9404 and is all-in, 4 folds, Hero calls t7759 and is all-in, BB foldsFlop: (t17,518) :jh :4h :3h (2 players)Turn: (t17,518) :qh (2 players)River: (t17,518) :5c (2 players)
Spoiler
I call also. I don't think it's bad.
This space for rent. - Sponser my posts

#57 outsider13

outsider13

    Poker Forum Veteran

  • Members
  • 4,132 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 31 December 2009 - 03:32 PM

View PostShark527, on Thursday, December 31st, 2009, 5:08 PM, said:

I call also. I don't think it's bad.
Yeah, It's pretty bad from an ICM standpoint. He's not likely crushing anybody's range and it's the bubble and there's 3 lesser stacks, 2 of them with 4bb.

#58 outsider13

outsider13

    Poker Forum Veteran

  • Members
  • 4,132 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 31 December 2009 - 03:33 PM

View Postjmbreslin, on Thursday, December 31st, 2009, 2:17 PM, said:

Wee, count me in. Just returned to SnGs after a vacation playing cash NLHE, followed by cash PLO. Tourney poker will always have my heart. These days I'm playing $3.40 turbo STTs with some $3.25 45's mixed in.
Try to get off the $3.40s pretty quick. As easy as they are, the rake is stupid. No reason they should be charging 13%.

#59 lurbz

lurbz

    how many george brett

  • Members
  • 4,284 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:USA
  • Favorite Poker Game:Reichmode

Posted 31 December 2009 - 05:19 PM

View Postoutsider13, on Thursday, December 31st, 2009, 3:32 PM, said:

Yeah, It's pretty bad from an ICM standpoint. He's not likely crushing anybody's range and it's the bubble and there's 3 lesser stacks, 2 of them with 4bb.
Yeah it's absolutely terrible. I'm ashamed.
BBsRJReich on Stars, DaemonReich on FTP, PM me for SNG coaching!

Moderator34 [Moderator]: Hello Everyone, please give me a moment or two to review the chat log.
BBsRJReich: mod34!
BBsRJReich: <3<3<3
BBsRJReich: youre my favorite mod

PuckSniper23 [observer]: hi 34 <3
tbrick412 [observer]: ko8e34?
tbrick412 [observer]: or mod34?[/color]
Moderator34 [Moderator]: Thank you, your my favorite player :D

[23:57] lurbz28: just depends on what kinda girl you want
[23:57] Tbrick286: one with a pulse

#60 jmbreslin

jmbreslin

    Poker Forum Veteran

  • Members
  • 4,788 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:8-Game

Posted 31 December 2009 - 07:16 PM

View PostChet Chetterson, on Thursday, December 31st, 2009, 5:18 PM, said:

I am having struggles with how to deal with people limping in the later stages of the SNG. In the micro levels players like to limp monster hands that they should be raising with to catch others with strong hands who properly shove in a given situation. Is there any way to combat this or do you just have to shove and accept that you were trapped?
Accept it. The thing about SnGs is that late-game play becomes very formulaic, and you will never have a solid enough read on a player that a high blind limp means AA/KK. Sometimes you will get caught but more often than not you'll steal yourself a nice pot by shoving over high-blind limpers. The only time you can be certain that a limp=AA is when someone limp-reraises in the early levels. That's a very common low stakes move with AA.
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching." - Anonymous




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users