Ask Me About... Phil Ivey

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
173 replies to this topic

Poll: Next Week (125 member(s) have cast votes)

Who do You want to Cover?

1. Phil Hellmuth (17 votes [13.60%])

Percentage of vote: 13.60%

2. Patrik Antonius (15 votes [12.00%])

Percentage of vote: 12.00%

3. Jennifer Harman (23 votes [18.40%])

Percentage of vote: 18.40%

4. Doyle Brunson (10 votes [8.00%])

Percentage of vote: 8.00%

5. Mike Matusow (44 votes [35.20%])

Percentage of vote: 35.20%

6. Gus Hansen (16 votes [12.80%])

Percentage of vote: 12.80%

Vote

#121 hank213

hank213

inventor of the tactical turtleneck..the tactilneck

• Members
  • 9,498 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 08:35 PM

Is he tough to shop for during Christmas?
Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen.

#122 Sick Boy

Sick Boy

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 1,998 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:Texas Holdem, HORSE

Posted 26 December 2009 - 08:41 PM

View Posthank213, on Saturday, December 26th, 2009, 8:35 PM, said:

Is he tough to shop for during Christmas?
DN doesnt do presents.

#123 drewlovesomaha

drewlovesomaha

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 95 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:omaha hi lo

Posted 26 December 2009 - 08:51 PM

From the stories I have heard about Phil he just destroys people's will to keep gambling - i.e. John Hennigan (almost)I even think he has really caused Barry to lose alot of confidence just because Phil will take a person's greatest strength as a poker player away fromthem. I even think some of durrr's problems started when he started hanging around Phil some - Ivey just has that competitive edge over everyonewitness what he did to Andy Beal (16.6 million damn!)Other than Beal or some other rich amateurs has Phil ever broken a professional gambler to the point they quit gambling forever (or went way down in limits ala Archie Karas)

#124 Suited_Up

Suited_Up

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 25,723 posts
  • Interests:Poker and Sports

Posted 26 December 2009 - 09:01 PM

View Postsilverstrone, on Saturday, December 26th, 2009, 7:20 PM, said:

oh no some fullcontactpoker forum member told me I'm an idiot, lol I'm crying right now. Get a life instead of posting in this dead forum, 5k useless posts, haha pretty sad
Strone isn't even a word!
-Kurt

#125 wildspoke

wildspoke

Poker Forum Groupie

• Members
  • 683 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 09:28 PM

I have to ask this one:Was Phil jealous that Barak Obama recogized you (your sig pic) when he took you to the fund raiser in LA?When was the last time you think Phil went more than one day without placing a bet?Is he a good sports bettor or is that a leak?Was it tough for you and Phill to get respect from the old guard in Vegas?

#126 Fluffdog87

Fluffdog87

Enjoy Life!

• Members
  • 5,860 posts
  • Interests:poker, traveling, disc golfing, football, basketball, and watching sports on television and enjoying life

Posted 26 December 2009 - 10:01 PM

How would you rank his in 8-game's individual games 1-8 (in cash games) (HORSE, NLH, PLO, 2-7 TD) and what simple to explain things does he do better in certain games compared to other high skill players?
"You see things; and you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say, 'Why not?'"- George Bernard Shaw

#127 Shark527

Shark527

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 1,114 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:Limit cash games and NL tournies

Posted 27 December 2009 - 07:41 AM

View Postdrewlovesomaha, on Saturday, December 26th, 2009, 8:51 PM, said:

From the stories I have heard about Phil he just destroys people's will to keep gambling - i.e. John Hennigan (almost)Other than Beal or some other rich amateurs has Phil ever broken a professional gambler to the point they quit gambling forever (or went way down in limits ala Archie Karas)
John Hennigan what? Is that a good story?I thought Archie lost it all betting.When did Ivey and Barry meet and how have they become such good friends? Is it simply because they play together so often? From the outside looking in, it would seem like their personalities would be pretty different.
This space for rent. - Sponser my posts

#128 Stiles2004

Stiles2004

Poker Forum Groupie

• Members
  • 797 posts
  • Interests:Myself

Posted 27 December 2009 - 08:39 AM

View PostShark527, on Sunday, December 27th, 2009, 8:41 AM, said:

John Hennigan what? Is that a good story?I thought Archie lost it all betting.When did Ivey and Barry meet and how have they become such good friends? Is it simply because they play together so often? From the outside looking in, it would seem like their personalities would be pretty different.
www.jdate.com
Bad luck wind been blowin' on my back
I was born to bring trouble wherever I'm at

#129 gibler321

gibler321

hi, i'm kimmy gibler, and you are?

• Members
  • 4,363 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:NL Hold 'Em

Posted 27 December 2009 - 08:48 AM

View PostStiles2004, on Sunday, December 27th, 2009, 12:39 PM, said:

awesome
56acepoker. the home of the best crew of all south fla players

***56acepoker*** CLICK ME

QUOTE(msals11 @ Friday, June 30th, 2006, 12:57 AM) View Post
gibler is a horrendous player for the record... if u ever are playing with him just know that he steams easily and just sucks real bad

#130 DemonDonk

DemonDonk

Poker Forum Nut

• Members
  • 286 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:High Stakes Play Money 5 Card Draw

Posted 27 December 2009 - 09:15 AM

When Ivey has to pay up say 500k or a million after losing a bet, how exactly does he pay? Does he come round with a briefcase full of notes like some sort of mafia movie or is it all done electronically.
'But now mother****er, it's our time, mine's and yours, but instead of shutting up and kicking in, your going to stand there crying that back in the day ****. There ain't no back in the day, *****! Ain't no nostalgia to this **** here. There's just the street, and the game, and what happened here today.'

#131 Chaserjim

Chaserjim

Poker Forum Nut

• Members
  • 367 posts
  • Interests:Poker , World of Warcraft

Posted 27 December 2009 - 11:01 AM

Hey DN - Can you please add Andy Beal to your list of players? I think that would be an interesting Q/A, that is - if you yourself knew anything about him or the high stakes matches back then.Question about Ivey - I read somewhere on here that you had forced him into rehab. True?
Forums I Post at :

www.Fullcontactpoker.com
www.sherdog.com
www.coloradoavalanche.com

#132 DanielNegreanu

DanielNegreanu

Poker Forum Veteran

• Root Admin
  • 8,250 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 01:12 PM

View Postdrewlovesomaha, on Saturday, December 26th, 2009, 8:51 PM, said:

From the stories I have heard about Phil he just destroys people's will to keep gambling - i.e. John Hennigan (almost)I even think he has really caused Barry to lose alot of confidence just because Phil will take a person's greatest strength as a poker player away fromthem. I even think some of durrr's problems started when he started hanging around Phil some - Ivey just has that competitive edge over everyonewitness what he did to Andy Beal (16.6 million damn!)Other than Beal or some other rich amateurs has Phil ever broken a professional gambler to the point they quit gambling forever (or went way down in limits ala Archie Karas)
Interesting theory, but there is no truth to any of this at all.
Posted Image

#133 DanielNegreanu

DanielNegreanu

Poker Forum Veteran

• Root Admin
  • 8,250 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 01:14 PM

View Postwildspoke, on Saturday, December 26th, 2009, 9:28 PM, said:

I have to ask this one:Was Phil jealous that Barak Obama recogized you (your sig pic) when he took you to the fund raiser in LA?When was the last time you think Phil went more than one day without placing a bet?Is he a good sports bettor or is that a leak?Was it tough for you and Phill to get respect from the old guard in Vegas?
Ivey brought me to meet Obama for the very reason that he thought Obama may recognize me. I don't think Ivey has gone a day without a bet in ages. He is good at handicapping fights. Ivey and I both got respect after playing high limits for a while.
Posted Image

#134 DanielNegreanu

DanielNegreanu

Poker Forum Veteran

• Root Admin
  • 8,250 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 01:19 PM

View PostFluffdog87, on Saturday, December 26th, 2009, 10:01 PM, said:

How would you rank his in 8-game's individual games 1-8 (in cash games) (HORSE, NLH, PLO, 2-7 TD) and what simple to explain things does he do better in certain games compared to other high skill players?
He has the ability to focus for longer stretches than most and he is very good at figuring out how you think ala Sylar from Heroes. His 8 game... hmmm:1.Stud2. PLO3. Razz4. Stud H/L5. NL Hold'em6. Hold'em7. 2-7 Triple Draw8. Omaha H/L Having said that, he's one of the best Omaha H/L players in the world, so take that for what it's worth...
Posted Image

#135 DanielNegreanu

DanielNegreanu

Poker Forum Veteran

• Root Admin
  • 8,250 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 01:20 PM

View PostShark527, on Sunday, December 27th, 2009, 7:41 AM, said:

They played together in the Flynt game
Posted Image

#136 DanielNegreanu

DanielNegreanu

Poker Forum Veteran

• Root Admin
  • 8,250 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 01:20 PM

View PostDemonDonk, on Sunday, December 27th, 2009, 9:15 AM, said:

When Ivey has to pay up say 500k or a million after losing a bet, how exactly does he pay? Does he come round with a briefcase full of notes like some sort of mafia movie or is it all done electronically.
Either online or with poker chips.
Posted Image

#137 DanielNegreanu

DanielNegreanu

Poker Forum Veteran

• Root Admin
  • 8,250 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 01:21 PM

View PostChaserjim, on Sunday, December 27th, 2009, 11:01 AM, said:

Hey DN - Can you please add Andy Beal to your list of players? I think that would be an interesting Q/A, that is - if you yourself knew anything about him or the high stakes matches back then.Question about Ivey - I read somewhere on here that you had forced him into rehab. True?
No, wrong guy. It wasn't Ivey.
Posted Image

#138 nutzbuster

nutzbuster

Point taken....

• Members
  • 11,378 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 01:50 PM

How much money is enough money?I posed this question to some here and on a private forum a while ago...in other words, say you won the lottery or just had a killer year, won like 30 million or something ridiculous. Money was now never going to be an issue for you ever again.The question was, would you still play poker? I know Phil is an action junkie and probably is close to this $$$ scenario in real life.I'm just curious if he (or anyone) would quit gambling/playing poker once you he enough money? I mean if you are that loaded, would the thrill of winning even a million more matter if you were worth tens of millions already? Would the buzz/high/thrill of winning still be there?

F Cancer

#139 kingcon31

kingcon31

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 44 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:NL hold

Posted 27 December 2009 - 03:12 PM

If everybody else could afford how high do you think Phil would want to play in the big game?

#140 daniel mahan

daniel mahan

Poker Forum Groupie

• Members
  • 623 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:Heads up LHE, or NLHE MTT'S

Posted 27 December 2009 - 03:14 PM

how true if true is this story?Hang around Vegas a while and you'll hear many tales of luxurious excess, though few can rival this Phil Ivey anecdote we heard moments ago.Allegedly a group of businessmen were enjoying dinner at the Wynn when they looked over at one of the nearby tables to see none other than Phil Ivey.Big fans of the poker superstar, they summoned the waiter and asked him to send Ivey a bottle of Cristal champagne, compliments of their table.Happy with their deed, they went back to tucking into their top-class steaks.Twenty minutes later, the waiter came back...armed with five bottles of Cristal!"These are for you, courtesy of Mr. Ivey."The businessmen were impressed. These bottles were selling at four or five hundred bucks a pop so $2.5k's worth of top class champagne was a very generous gesture.They felt like they still wanted to send a message to Ivey that they were big fans of his though and took the waiter aside for a word."Would you have twenty bottles of Cristal delivered to Mr Ivey please?"The waiter raised his eyebrows just a notch but took the order, made arrangements and twenty bottles of Cristal were sent over to the poker legend.If you four-bet Ivey, don't be suprised if he 5-bet shoves! The businessmen were satisfied that their point had been made and went back to talking about stocks, shares and of course cracking open a few of the five bottles of champagne stocking their table.Some time later, they noticed a group of staff approaching their table.They watched with ever increasing disbelief as bottle after bottle after bottle of Cristal was unloaded until their table and surrounding area were filled with no less than 200 bottles of the vintage champagne - retailing at approximately $100k!When the delivery had been made the waiter passed the awestruck businessmen a note."This is from Mr Ivey sirs."As the waiter walked away they all crowded round to read the note.It simply said, "...and I won't stop."That's why Phil Ivey is the Cristal Balla!
Daniel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users