Boxing Thread

219 replies to this topic

#41 bmtphs05

bmtphs05

Poker Forum Groupie

• Members
  • 858 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 06:32 PM

I know it's unlikely because of the business side, but I would love for all these big fights to end up in stadiums like Cowboys Stadium and tonight at Yankees Stadium. Looks like a great environment.

#42 GWCGWC

GWCGWC

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 14,661 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 09:19 AM

Agreed. I thought it was hilarious that the event was almost canceled because of a previously booked bar mitzvah. Coto looked way faster and stronger than he looked vs Mayweather. WTF HBO. They usually replay PPV fights 2-3 weeks after an event but I don't think they've shown the Mayweather/Mosley bout.

#43 JoeyJoJo

JoeyJoJo

On the road to 8,143 (approximately)

• Members
  • 8,141 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 11:20 AM

I would probably pay big money to watch Pacquiao/Mayweather.
Homer: Moe, I need your advice.
Moe: Yeah?
Homer: See, I got this friend named... Joey Jo Jo... Junior... Shabadoo.
Moe: That's the worst name I ever heard.

#44 CaneBrain

CaneBrain

The chosen few....

• Members
  • 14,896 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:5/10 NLHE (100 max buy in)

Posted 03 September 2010 - 11:44 AM

View PostJoeyJoJo, on Friday, September 3rd, 2010, 3:20 PM, said:

I'm going to kick his ass and then have him make me a sushi roll and some rice. AWESOME. Not just racism but geographically poor racism. Doubt the Phillipines is known for sushi.
"Give a little bit.....give a little bit of your chips to me...."

#45 mrpaddyx

mrpaddyx

Only here for the Cider

• Members
  • 1,458 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:H.O.R.S.E., Triple Stud, Razz

Posted 17 September 2010 - 11:11 AM

Slightly out of date news but the biggest joke in British boxing is set to challenge his fellow Brit, David Haye, for the WBA Heavyweight championship of the World. I'm not usually into buying Boxing PPV's but I'd probably quite like to see Fraudly's ass kicked!http://news.bbc.co.u...ing/8968472.stm
The Queens we use would not excite you.

#46 ariolis30

ariolis30

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:nlhe

Posted 30 June 2013 - 02:53 PM

can we bring this thread back to life.... i want to vent my frustrations on boxing today!

#47 Essay21

Essay21

forum legend

• Members
  • 9,394 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:11 PM

no

#48 FCP Bob

FCP Bob

Limit Holdem Dinosaur

• Root Admin
  • 26,938 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:47 PM

View Postariolis30, on 30 June 2013 - 02:53 PM, said:

can we bring this thread back to life.... i want to vent my frustrations on boxing today!

vent away
Bob

info@fullcontactpoker.com

#49 GWCGWC

GWCGWC

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 14,661 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:42 PM

What's your beef?

#50 AmScray

AmScray

Honk

• Members
  • 4,005 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:wrhsf235yu

Posted 15 September 2013 - 03:20 PM

I have a beef, I must vent. this is by no means an novel observation, it's being discussed heavily all over fight forums as we speak.

Canelo is a great fighter and it made perfect sense to make this fight.
You have a white guy against a black guy, a Mexican against an American, its all marketing gold.
The fact we could buy Mayweather at -200 was one of the better deals in quite some timem, which really shows how hard the hype-train was chugging along for this one.

Mayweather made him look like a child out there. It was pretty much complete dominance. Canelo didn't embarass himself, but he did prove that he cannot even come close to beating Floyd Mayweather.

The result? A MD for Mayweather. Not a UD, a MAJORITY decision. How could this possibly be? How could it even be possible that someone watched that fight and scored it as anything other than a win for Mayweather?

It seems that a judge named CJ Ross (a woman) scored it 114-114 which is 114% ****ing ridiculous. It's like shit we'd see in the 70's from the East German Olympic judge. It's just comically inaccurate to the point ther there is no way whatsoever anyone could've possibly arrived at that conclusion.

Oh, but everyone has bad days, right? This isn't her first rodeo with ungodly awful scores. She was also involved with the SD between Bradley and Pacquiao.

This ****ing **** needs to be removed from the sport immediately. She's either rotten to the core or just totally, totally incompotent. It hints at serious corruption.

I'm hoping somoene bothered to send an email here.
http://www.fbi.gov/a...me/sports_bribe
Posted Image

#51 SuitedAces21

SuitedAces21

once and future king

• Members
  • 24,852 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 03:49 PM

yeah she clearly doesn't know what she's doing.
Spoiler

#52 Dubey

Dubey

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 10,919 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 09:03 AM

Good post Scram. That chick is completely out to lunch.

Also, I bet Mayweather at a shitty -280 (Bodog), and it was the easiest money I've ever made betting sports. If they were to have a rematch in the next year(they won't), at what odds would it actually be unprofitable to bet on Mayweather? -5000?

#53 NickCave

NickCave

Poker Forum Groupie

• Members
  • 966 posts
  • Interests:Marcel Marceau
  • Favorite Poker Game:No Pussy Blues

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:39 PM

View PostDubey, on 16 September 2013 - 09:03 AM, said:

Good post Scram. That chick is completely out to lunch.

Also, I bet Mayweather at a shitty -280 (Bodog), and it was the easiest money I've ever made betting sports. If they were to have a rematch in the next year(they won't), at what odds would it actually be unprofitable to bet on Mayweather? -5000?

If they relined the Mayweather/Alvarez fight one year from now, it would probably be -400 at Bodog. First off, -280 to -400 implies a very small shift in expected winning percentage, about 6%. Bodog would be the only shop that had the fight over -330.

At some point Mayweather is going to be old, and the books are going to line the fights like he's human until he proves otherwise.

I'll be fading Mayweather from now until he quits. I'll bet every nickel I have on his opponents for 47 and 48.

#54 NickCave

NickCave

Poker Forum Groupie

• Members
  • 966 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:58 PM

I'd have to make some calls, but I'd bet every dollar in my pockets that Vegas was rooting for Mayweather in that fight. I'm pretty sure he's been a Vegas huskie for a few fights in a row, now. That's going to end, soon. Mayweather is going to be anti-Vegas within the next few fights, and I'm going to be there.

#55 NickCave

NickCave

Poker Forum Groupie

• Members
  • 966 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 01:40 AM

My father was a pretty big boxing fan, so he was pretty sad that I grew up to be a faggot.

That being said, I was raised on Ali stories. If boxing was on TV, we watched, and my father always made sure that I understood how each fighter compared to Ali. He didn't even care that Ali was awesome, though he was. He cared that he was amazing.

Watching Ali-Foreman on ESPN Classic with my dad was a dream. "Rope-a-dope is a half a myth. Ali beat Foreman's ass. Look how puffy his face is after four rounds! Most of Foreman's punches are whiffs, glove shots, or arm shots." It's kind of true.

I watched the fight a few days ago, and I remember how few shots Foreman landed, even when Ali was on the ropes, and how badly Ali out-wrestled Foreman (just grabbing his neck and pushing down). And how Foreman almost got knocked out at the end of Round 5 (I think). And how much shiiiiit Ali talked during the fight. And how much damage Ali was causing even though he threw a third of the punches.

Edit: Found it on youtube. You can watch the whole fight here

EDIT 2: Or you could just watch THIS, which is... low resolution highlights set to music, which is epic. Bonus Ali **** you act that starts at 4:03, and the extra special "Come Get It Uncle Tom" face at 4:25, which I am almost certain was 1/10th of what Foreman had to deal with during that fight

Edit 3: So the music from the link in edit 2 is the theme from Pride Fighting Championship, which should have been the theme from every Rocky film. Fits the edited Rumble in the Jungle perfectly.

#56 Dubey

Dubey

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 10,919 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:23 AM

View PostNickCave, on 16 September 2013 - 10:58 PM, said:

I'd have to make some calls, but I'd bet every dollar in my pockets that Vegas was rooting for Mayweather in that fight. I'm pretty sure he's been a Vegas huskie for a few fights in a row, now. That's going to end, soon. Mayweather is going to be anti-Vegas within the next few fights, and I'm going to be there.

Of course. People always love the underdog in boxing, Plus Mayweather is not a generally well liked boxer. Not to mention that every time he fights, the guy who he is up against gets hyped as "the guy with the best chance to beat Mayweather". The sheep are always looking for a reason to bet on the underdog.

I think you are wrong about Mayweather. I think he is going to finish his last 3 contracted fights for showtime, then retire at 48-0 without ever coming close to losing. He made $100 million on this last fight. He's the richest athlete on the planet, and he's going to quit before he starts to fade. He's 36, but he's taken less big punches in his career than your average pro with 5 fights on his resume. His work ethic is also incomparable, and he has the body type that is less likely to break down quickly in his late 30's.

I'll be betting him at anything less than -500 until he retires, or until he shows me that he is actually human. I haven't even seen a glimpse of weakness from him yet,

#57 Cha! Cha!

Cha! Cha!

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 1,896 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:25 AM

View PostDubey, on 17 September 2013 - 06:23 AM, said:

I think he is going to finish his last 3 contracted fights for showtime, then retire at 48-0 without ever coming close to losing.

Rocky Marciano was 49-0. Doesn't he want to beat that? 50-0 would be a nice, round number.

#58 NickCave

NickCave

Poker Forum Groupie

• Members
  • 966 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 02:11 PM

View PostCha! Cha!, on 17 September 2013 - 07:25 AM, said:

Rocky Marciano was 49-0. Doesn't he want to beat that? 50-0 would be a nice, round number.

Yeah, this. No way he retires undefeated with fewer than 50 wins.

#59 SuitedAces21

SuitedAces21

once and future king

• Members
  • 24,852 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 03:29 PM

also, mayweather isn't the richest athlete on the planet. he just made the most from sports last year.
Spoiler

#60 JubilantLankyLad

JubilantLankyLad

you can't see me!

• Members
  • 9,397 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:PANDA

Posted 17 September 2013 - 03:31 PM

have you seen the way athletes spend money? i'm pretty sure that for the next six weeks, he'll be the richest athlete. then he'll be broke again.
there were no special effects, no special effects.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users