#61 DrawingDeadInDM

DrawingDeadInDM

BCS Bound

• Members
  • 18,247 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 09:53 AM

View PostBigDMcGee, on Sunday, October 25th, 2009, 10:51 AM, said:

:club:
Oh.. You're just being stubborn. You know as well as I do that each and every play goes by the Head Coach before it hits the field or as it hits the field. The Head Coach isn't completely blameless, regardless of if it's the DC or the OC making the call. Deal.
I'm also fed up with the common cold but I just hate to say goodbye.

#62 BigDMcGee

BigDMcGee

Forum Entitlist

• Members
  • 24,086 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 03:08 PM

View PostDrawingDeadInDM, on Sunday, October 25th, 2009, 12:53 PM, said:

You know as well as I do that each and every play goes by the Head Coach before it hits the field or as it hits the field. The Head Coach isn't completely blameless, regardless of if it's the DC or the OC making the call. Deal.
If you mean " goes by" in the sense that it zooms right by them, then yes. Head coaches AREN'T play callers. They just aren't. Once in a while you have a coach like Tom Osborne that actually does the play calling (offensively, not both). But much more often You have coaches like Mack Brown or Bobby Bowden, that are the CEO mode, that run the program, but don't really do much game day other than call time outs or make key "go for it " decisions. Almost everything a head coach does that's important doesn't happen on saturday. This isn't the fifties where your play book is 30 plays deep, and the head coach makes all the play calls. You have a large misconception of what a head coach does and does not do if you think Randy Shannon is play calling.
Posted Image
"We are only wise in knowing that we know nothing"
-Socrates

"Dust. Wind. Dude."
-Ted Theodore Logan

"I'm a basketball player and a businessman, not a Thundercat,"
-Lebron James

#63 DrawingDeadInDM

DrawingDeadInDM

BCS Bound

• Members
  • 18,247 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 03:18 PM

View PostBigDMcGee, on Sunday, October 25th, 2009, 4:08 PM, said:

If you mean " goes by" in the sense that it zooms right by them, then yes. Head coaches AREN'T play callers. They just aren't. Once in a while you have a coach like Tom Osborne that actually does the play calling (offensively, not both). But much more often You have coaches like Mack Brown or Bobby Bowden, that are the CEO mode, that run the program, but don't really do much game day other than call time outs or make key "go for it " decisions. Almost everything a head coach does that's important doesn't happen on saturday. This isn't the fifties where your play book is 30 plays deep, and the head coach makes all the play calls. You have a large misconception of what a head coach does and does not do if you think Randy Shannon is play calling.
I don't think saying that Randy Shannon is cognizant of each play before it hits the field infers that he is calling each and every play.. and I really don't know how you came to that conclusion. He has a headset on. He hears the playcall (offense and defense) through that headset. He can change the playcall at any time and if need be, call a time out. Obviously, you can't do that every time a marginal call is made, but there is a reason he wears that thing on his head. Even in 'CEO mode', he's still responsible for what happens on the field.

#64 BigDMcGee

BigDMcGee

Forum Entitlist

• Members
  • 24,086 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 03:22 PM

View PostDrawingDeadInDM, on Sunday, October 25th, 2009, 6:18 PM, said:

I don't think saying that Randy Shannon is cognizant of each play before it hits the field infers that he is calling each and every play.. and I really don't know how you came to that conclusion. He has a headset on. He hears the playcall (offense and defense) through that headset. He can change the playcall at any time and if need be, call a time out. Obviously, you can't do that every time a marginal call is made, but there is a reason he wears that thing on his head. Even in 'CEO mode', he's still responsible for what happens on the field.
:club:
Posted Image
-Socrates

"Dust. Wind. Dude."
-Ted Theodore Logan

-Lebron James

#65 DrawingDeadInDM

DrawingDeadInDM

BCS Bound

• Members
  • 18,247 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 03:23 PM

View PostBigDMcGee, on Sunday, October 25th, 2009, 4:22 PM, said:

:sftrue

#66 CaneBrain

CaneBrain

The chosen few....

• Members
  • 14,896 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:5/10 NLHE (100 max buy in)

Posted 25 October 2009 - 04:35 PM

View PostBigDMcGee, on Sunday, October 25th, 2009, 11:29 AM, said:

Jesus christ fans are such doomsayers. If I'd told you that Miami was going to be 5-2 at this point in the season, before the season started, you would have been ecstatic. And now you're ready to hang shannon because Miami has got some press clippings. So absurd. Don't forget this team is extremely young, and will be returning basically everyone, before you go off blaming coaching. Also, if you insist on blaming coaching, you should be blaming the defensive coordinator for failure to call blitzes and adjust the defense, not the head coach. He doesn't call defensive plays.
Fine the DC sucks. That 5-2 came against a bad FSU team, a ridiculously banged up OU team, and two cupcakes. I know they will be good next year. But Shannon (or the DC who takes direction from him.....remember Shannon was D-coordinator at Miami for year so when the defense stinks I will be looking at him) will cost them a game at some point with overly conservative playcalling.And if you dont think the head coach is in charge of overall adjustments (like the decision to rush four every down instead of bringing pressure) then I dont know what to tell you.Plus, this just continues Shannon's "tradition" of not being able to win at home. When you coach Miami, you have to ****ing beat unranked teams at home. It's unacceptable to drop games at home to mediocre teams year after year.Also, I expected them to be 5-2. I would not have been "ecstatic". Unlike the media, I knew Miami would be better this year because I know from his high school career that Jacory has tons of game. I expected them to win all the games they have won except I figured they would lose to OU and beat Clemson.
"Give a little bit.....give a little bit of your chips to me...."

#67 Jadaki

Jadaki

IIOY?

• Members
  • 22,247 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 08:34 AM

Posted Image

#68 CaneBrain

CaneBrain

The chosen few....

• Members
  • 14,896 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 04:02 PM

Anybody who watched today's Miami game against UNC now knows that I am not overreacting and that Randy Shannon is one of the worst in game coaches in the history of football. Atrocious clock management, refusal to blitz, refusal to go to the shotgun, wasting timeouts. It's like watching Art Shell in his prime. Does it matter that you can recruit well if you are so bad at coaching that your team has to win in spite of you? Mark Whipple is equally bad. Someone needs to tell him you dont get extra points for running screen plays. What a goddamn travesty.

#69 BigDMcGee

BigDMcGee

Forum Entitlist

• Members
  • 24,086 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 04:14 PM

View PostCaneBrain, on Saturday, November 14th, 2009, 6:02 PM, said:

Anybody who watched today's Miami game against UNC now knows that I am not overreacting and that Randy Shannon is one of the worst in game coaches in the history of football.
lol
Posted Image
-Socrates

"Dust. Wind. Dude."
-Ted Theodore Logan

-Lebron James

#70 CaneBrain

CaneBrain

The chosen few....

• Members
  • 14,896 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 04:17 PM

View PostBigDMcGee, on Saturday, November 14th, 2009, 7:14 PM, said:

lol
did you watch? seriously, everyone I know down here is going batshit about it right now. It was stunning. If you didn't watch, don't assume out of hand it is total hyperbole (obviously it is a little hyperbole). It was a nightmare.

#71 BigDMcGee

BigDMcGee

Forum Entitlist

• Members
  • 24,086 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 04:41 PM

View PostCaneBrain, on Saturday, November 14th, 2009, 6:17 PM, said:

did you watch? seriously, everyone I know down here is going batshit about it right now. It was stunning. If you didn't watch, don't assume out of hand it is total hyperbole (obviously it is a little hyperbole). It was a nightmare.
I did watch the game. and yes, it's a little hyperbolic.
Posted Image
-Socrates

"Dust. Wind. Dude."
-Ted Theodore Logan

-Lebron James

#72 Jadaki

Jadaki

IIOY?

• Members
  • 22,247 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 04:45 PM

That and UNC just isn't a pushover in football since Davis got there.

#73 BigDMcGee

BigDMcGee

Forum Entitlist

• Members
  • 24,086 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 07:21 PM

Wait until next year, before you send the final verdict on Shannon. Your immensely talented, but young team will all be older. If they don't produce next year, then call for some heads.
Posted Image
-Socrates

"Dust. Wind. Dude."
-Ted Theodore Logan

-Lebron James

#74 CaneBrain

CaneBrain

The chosen few....

• Members
  • 14,896 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 07:34 AM

View PostBigDMcGee, on Sunday, November 15th, 2009, 10:21 PM, said:

Wait until next year, before you send the final verdict on Shannon. Your immensely talented, but young team will all be older. If they don't produce next year, then call for some heads.
I dont believe in shuffling coaches in and out. Shannon gets 5 years in my book. But you are right.....if it does not happen next year (when they get FSU and V-Tech at home) then it probably is not going to happen. And my guess is they will blow a couple winnable games next year due to poor coaching. Hopefully, I am wrong.

#75 Freddec

Freddec

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 1,970 posts
  • Interests:poker, sports, music<br /><br />

Posted 28 November 2009 - 11:36 PM

delete this thread please........this conf just got owned sooooooo hard today
THIS OLD TOWN’S FILLED WITH SIN
IT’LL SWALLOW YOU IN
IF YOU’VE GOT SOME MONEY TO BURN
TAKE IT HOME, RIGHT AWAY
YOU’VE GOT THREE YEARS TO PAY
BUT SATAN IS WAITING HIS TURN

"Sin City" Gram Parsons

freddec on Stars
freddyspades on Tilt

#76 SGFULTON83

SGFULTON83

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 08:07 AM

View PostFreddec, on Sunday, November 29th, 2009, 3:36 AM, said:

delete this thread please........this conf just got owned sooooooo hard today all season.
FYP

#77 CindyLou

CindyLou

Poker Forum Groupie

• Members
  • 950 posts
  • Interests:My dogs, poker, and laughing!
  • Favorite Poker Game:No limit hold em

Posted 19 August 2011 - 08:16 AM

View PostBigDMcGee, on Sunday, November 15th, 2009, 10:21 PM, said:

I think some heads are about to be called for.

#78 CaneBrain

CaneBrain

The chosen few....

• Members
  • 14,896 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 08:24 AM

View PostCindyLou, on Friday, August 19th, 2011, 12:16 PM, said:

I think some heads are about to be called for.
I was right that Shannon was a bad coach. But, the ONLY person who looks good in this UM scandal is Shannon. Apparently, he set the UM compliance officer on Shapiro to the point that Shapiro tried to punch him out. Shannon also repeatedly warned the AD administration that this guy Shapiro was a huge problem. They ignored him.I think Shannon had pretty impeccable integrity. Just a lousy coach on gameday.

#79 BigDMcGee

BigDMcGee

Forum Entitlist

• Members
  • 24,086 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 10:02 AM

View PostCaneBrain, on Friday, August 19th, 2011, 11:24 AM, said:

I was right that Shannon was a bad coach. But, the ONLY person who looks good in this UM scandal is Shannon. Apparently, he set the UM compliance officer on Shapiro to the point that Shapiro tried to punch him out. Shannon also repeatedly warned the AD administration that this guy Shapiro was a huge problem. They ignored him.I think Shannon had pretty impeccable integrity. Just a lousy coach on gameday.
I think him trying to go after Shapiro was dumber than anything he did on game day. Let a booster boost, randy!
Posted Image
-Socrates

"Dust. Wind. Dude."
-Ted Theodore Logan

-Lebron James

#80 BigDMcGee

BigDMcGee

Forum Entitlist

• Members
  • 24,086 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 10:15 AM

also, if randy went to the ad and compliance and told them to watch shapiro, and they did not, Miami is super ****ed.
Posted Image
-Socrates

"Dust. Wind. Dude."
-Ted Theodore Logan

-Lebron James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users