#41 Pot Odds RAC

Pot Odds RAC

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 7,172 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:Live NL TxHE

Posted 24 August 2009 - 05:55 PM

View Posttimwakefield, on Monday, August 24th, 2009, 9:43 PM, said:

Fair enough. Canebrain was probably somewhat right about the JFK conspiracy stuff influencing me, but I think I was also just looking for a positive spin on this story. There probably isn't one though.
...and I didn't mean to be rude to you. Sorry if I came across that way.

#42 CaneBrain

CaneBrain

The chosen few....

• Members
  • 14,896 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:5/10 NLHE (100 max buy in)

Posted 24 August 2009 - 06:13 PM

View PostPot Odds RAC, on Monday, August 24th, 2009, 6:54 PM, said:

So you DO believe that over the past decade FEWER than two dozen people in Scottish Prison have had terminal disease that could have granted them IMMEDIATE release from Prison, but they just forgot to apply for unconditional automatic rubber stamp release?Do you have a link to the criteria by which 25% of past applicants over the past decade were declined? I haven't been able to find anything regarding that.Did you listen to MacAskill's statement which I linked?He admits that there are no established criteria defining the grounds for compassionate release. He doesn't claim that he acted on precedence. He states that he made a decision based on his view of the morality of compassionate release that was "consistent" with Scottish law. That is very different from the claim that precedent somehow forced the decision. Based on his statement it is very clear to me that there was plenty of grey area and room for decision. He wasn't enforcing a crappy policy - he was making a crappy decision.
the cnn article I read said that 30 people had applied and 7 had been denied on medical grounds. The other 23 were granted. Where is the grey area? To deny his claim would have been to do the opposite of what they had done every other time. This is why the law should have a provision that prohibits certain offenders from being considered for compassionate release.As to the point about terminal patients in Scottish prison.....I really have no idea why you are pressing this. How do I know how common this situation is? America has a quarter of the world's prison population. Maybe there are just not that many people in Scottish prison? Maybe the medical care in prisons is sub-standard so many terminal conditions are not caught until the autopsy? Maybe life sentences are rarer in Scotland? I really don't know and I don't think it is remotely relevant either. But I gave you some theories since it is important to you clearly.
"Give a little bit.....give a little bit of your chips to me...."

#43 Pot Odds RAC

Pot Odds RAC

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 7,172 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 06:30 PM

View PostMercury69, on Monday, August 24th, 2009, 4:20 PM, said:

Just say No to blends. Unless you're mixing...Teacher's is a decent blend, actually. 40% of it is from a single distillery. It makes a fine Rusty Nail.
Yeah. I just really like the Smokey flavors of the Blends - I'm just an uneducated slob in that respect. I think I can replace JWB with Woodford Reserve in my line-up.

#44 Balloon guy

Balloon guy

Deplorable Lives Matter

• Members
  • 24,409 posts
  • Interests:Cigars, Flying, Golf, Bible
  • Favorite Poker Game:Golf

Posted 24 August 2009 - 10:00 PM

View PostCaneBrain, on Monday, August 24th, 2009, 7:13 PM, said:

the cnn article I read said that 30 people had applied and 7 had been denied on medical grounds. The other 23 were granted. Where is the grey area? To deny his claim would have been to do the opposite of what they had done every other time. This is why the law should have a provision that prohibits certain offenders from being considered for compassionate release.As to the point about terminal patients in Scottish prison.....I really have no idea why you are pressing this. How do I know how common this situation is? America has a quarter of the world's prison population. Maybe there are just not that many people in Scottish prison? Maybe the medical care in prisons is sub-standard so many terminal conditions are not caught until the autopsy? Maybe life sentences are rarer in Scotland? I really don't know and I don't think it is remotely relevant either. But I gave you some theories since it is important to you clearly.
I gave the answer in post 26
I use my cigar smoke as idiot repellent

Most bad government has come out of too much government. Thomas Jefferson

#45 All_In

All_In

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 1,202 posts
  • Interests:Poker, Golf, Poker, Guitar, Poker, etc...

Posted 25 August 2009 - 05:30 AM

scotland always releases prisoners for compassionate reasons, they only refuse when it is not medically clear that they are terminally ill. so this is normal."Kenny MacAskill reiterated that the decision to free Abdel Basset al-Megrahi on compassionate grounds was made in accordance with Scottish law and was not influenced by politics, diplomacy or trade."In Scotland we are a people who pride ourselves on our humanity. The perpetration of an outrage ... cannot and should not be the basis for losing sight of who we are," he said on Monday."http://english.aljaz...1339595745.htmlamericans were not the only ones to die, many other families agree with this decision.there are also issues with how this guy was convicted. he was put away mainly on hearsay:"Al-Megrahi was charged after he was identified by a Maltese shopkeeper as the man who bought clothes that were found in the suitcase carrying the bomb planted on the aircraft."http://english.aljaz...3226391461.htmlHear is this guy's full statement:http://english.aljaz...6359962688.html
I don't need to be a global citizen because I'm blessed by nationality I'm member of a growing populace we enforce our popularity I feel sorry for the earth's population 'cuz so few live in the U.S.A. At least the foreigners can copy our morality they can visit but they cannot stay Only precious few can garner the prosperity it makes us walk with renewed confidence He's the farmers barren fields the force the army wields The expression in the faces of the starving millions The power of the man he's the fuel that drives the clan He's the motive and conscience of the murderer He's the preacher on t.v. the false sincerity The form letter that's written by the big computers He's the nuclear bombs and the kids with no moms

#46 sKIjaKuDa

sKIjaKuDa

Poker Forum Regular

• Members
  • 234 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:Hold 'em, PLO

Posted 25 August 2009 - 05:37 AM

English Al-Jazeerathere are also issues with how this guy was convicted. he was put away mainly on hearsay:I am sure there isn't a biased swing to that. I understand they are an international news company but they are also the ones who air the threats from these jack@sses in the first place so those references probably aren't worth the effort to click them.There is no reason in my mind for this guy to get released to be given a hero's welcome. I don't care how sick he is or was and I hope he just goes back to die and isn't going to strap on a ballistic backpack and earn himself some virgins.
skijakuda on PS, FTP, UB

#47 Pot Odds RAC

Pot Odds RAC

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 7,172 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 05:43 AM

View PostAll_In, on Tuesday, August 25th, 2009, 9:30 AM, said:

scotland always releases prisoners for compassionate reasons, they only refuse when it is not medically clear that they are terminally ill. so this is normal."Kenny MacAskill reiterated that the decision to free Abdel Basset al-Megrahi on compassionate grounds was made in accordance with Scottish law and was not influenced by politics, diplomacy or trade."In Scotland we are a people who pride ourselves on our humanity. The perpetration of an outrage ... cannot and should not be the basis for losing sight of who we are," he said on Monday."http://english.aljaz...1339595745.htmlamericans were not the only ones to die, many other families agree with this decision.there are also issues with how this guy was convicted. he was put away mainly on hearsay:"Al-Megrahi was charged after he was identified by a Maltese shopkeeper as the man who bought clothes that were found in the suitcase carrying the bomb planted on the aircraft."http://english.aljaz...3226391461.htmlHear is this guy's full statement:http://english.aljaz...6359962688.html
He was convicted by the same laws which released him. I am not saying he was illegally released. I am saying it was a bad decision to do so.

#48 sKIjaKuDa

sKIjaKuDa

Poker Forum Regular

• Members
  • 234 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:Hold 'em, PLO

Posted 25 August 2009 - 05:49 AM

View PostPot Odds RAC, on Tuesday, August 25th, 2009, 9:43 AM, said:

He was convicted by the same laws which released him. I am not saying he was illegally released. I am saying it was a bad decision to do so.
I agree.
skijakuda on PS, FTP, UB

#49 All_In

All_In

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 1,202 posts
  • Interests:Poker, Golf, Poker, Guitar, Poker, etc...

Posted 25 August 2009 - 06:15 AM

View PostPot Odds RAC, on Tuesday, August 25th, 2009, 5:43 AM, said:

fair enough (but it wasn't actually the same laws. there are laws in my country that i disagree with, and those that i agree with. it is misleading to group them all together). I think it was a morally correct decision. revenge should not be a factor, especially on someone who is terminally ill. he's as good as dead, letting him out shows compassion.
I don't need to be a global citizen because I'm blessed by nationality I'm member of a growing populace we enforce our popularity I feel sorry for the earth's population 'cuz so few live in the U.S.A. At least the foreigners can copy our morality they can visit but they cannot stay Only precious few can garner the prosperity it makes us walk with renewed confidence He's the farmers barren fields the force the army wields The expression in the faces of the starving millions The power of the man he's the fuel that drives the clan He's the motive and conscience of the murderer He's the preacher on t.v. the false sincerity The form letter that's written by the big computers He's the nuclear bombs and the kids with no moms

#50 timwakefield

timwakefield

I haven't got the time time

• Members
  • 14,413 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:Boxmaha

Posted 26 August 2009 - 04:40 PM

View PostPot Odds RAC, on Monday, August 24th, 2009, 9:55 PM, said:

...and I didn't mean to be rude to you. Sorry if I came across that way.
It's all good. It's often very difficult to pick up on a person's tone over the interweb, and I would estimate that this leads to at least half of all internet fights. Not that we fought, just saying I probably misinterpreted your tone.
Karl: She was a bit -- what's the word that you can use, cuz I don't wanna offend anyone?
Steve: Was she a homeless person?
Karl: Yeah but sort of mental homeless.

#51 owise1

owise1

Poker Forum Nut

• Members
  • 484 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 07:44 PM

View PostLongLiveYorke, on Monday, August 24th, 2009, 8:29 AM, said:

The guy's going to die a painful death from pancreatic cancer. Nothing's going to stop that. If he's in jail at the time or elsewhere, it doesn't really matter. His sentence has been given down by god. It is final, and no one can take that back.I find the notion of giving this man unspeakable compassion to be quite touching. His being or not being in jail for a few months isn't going to bring anyone back, isn't going to make terrorists more or less likely to commit their atrocities, it isn't going to make things "right" in any way. It only shows that people are capable of turning the other cheek, of showing not forgiveness, for his actions will never be forgiven, but human decency, even in the face of the greatest evil. I also find it deeply hypocritical for any Christian to question the release of this prisoner. Releasing this man is basically the central tenet of Christ's teachings.
I think that it would make terrorists more likely to commit their atrocities. They may now think that they will get away with these acts. It definately will not be a deterent.Check out this article from the National Post here cliff notes: 1. Maybe it was the wrong man or 2. Maybe a deal was made.
A smart man learns from his mistakes.
A wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

From Harrington on Hold'em:
" ... if you've spent part of your life in an institution, this method may come naturally"

Looking for any poker books by D.R. Sherer.
PM me if you have any. Thanks

Winner of FCP WSOP Season 1 Event #11: Pot Limit Hold'em

#52 Balloon guy

Balloon guy

Deplorable Lives Matter

• Members
  • 24,409 posts
  • Interests:Cigars, Flying, Golf, Bible
  • Favorite Poker Game:Golf

Posted 26 August 2009 - 08:50 PM

View PostAll_In, on Tuesday, August 25th, 2009, 7:15 AM, said:

fair enough (but it wasn't actually the same laws. there are laws in my country that i disagree with, and those that i agree with. it is misleading to group them all together). I think it was a morally correct decision. revenge should not be a factor, especially on someone who is terminally ill. he's as good as dead, letting him out shows compassion.
I hope they show the same compassion to Charles Manson
I use my cigar smoke as idiot repellent

Most bad government has come out of too much government. Thomas Jefferson

#53 LongLiveYorke

LongLiveYorke

Ending the world one proton at a time

• Members
  • 8,356 posts
  • Interests:fizziks, teh maths, Raid-o-head, Rod Reynolds

Posted 26 August 2009 - 09:13 PM

View Postowise1, on Wednesday, August 26th, 2009, 11:44 PM, said:

I think that it would make terrorists more likely to commit their atrocities. They may now think that they will get away with these acts. It definately will not be a deterent.
Terrorists rarely think about consequences when planning attacks. It's not like there are people who are on the edge of being a terrorist and the think, "Well, if I get cancer and I get arrested in Scotland, I may get released, though probably not now after there's so much controversy. Whatever, I'll go with this whole 'terrrorist' thing."They're far too beyond logic and reason at that point to be swayed.

#54 timwakefield

timwakefield

I haven't got the time time

• Members
  • 14,413 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:Boxmaha

Posted 26 August 2009 - 11:35 PM

View PostBalloon guy, on Thursday, August 27th, 2009, 12:50 AM, said:

I hope they show the same compassion to Charles Manson
How has that guy not caught a shiv yet?
Karl: She was a bit -- what's the word that you can use, cuz I don't wanna offend anyone?
Steve: Was she a homeless person?
Karl: Yeah but sort of mental homeless.

#55 JoeWalsh

JoeWalsh

Poker Forum Regular

• Members
  • 247 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 02:30 AM

View PostsKIjaKuDa, on Tuesday, August 25th, 2009, 2:37 PM, said:

English Al-Jazeerathere are also issues with how this guy was convicted. he was put away mainly on hearsay:I am sure there isn't a biased swing to that. I understand they are an international news company but they are also the ones who air the threats from these jack@sses in the first place so those references probably aren't worth the effort to click them.There is no reason in my mind for this guy to get released to be given a hero's welcome. I don't care how sick he is or was and I hope he just goes back to die and isn't going to strap on a ballistic backpack and earn himself some virgins.
Just so you know, Al Jazeera are one of the best news desks out there. They actually cover world issues in a pretty unbiased manner and are essentially the old BBC World middle east office. Some of their stuff will show bias but it is usually from opinion pieces and it will be one of the guests sprouting that nonsense. It is no different from Fox in the US throwing on a right winger to discuss the new health care bill or Sky News bringing on a Tory think tank leader to bash Brown.As for the prisoner release, there is clearly more political motives at work here, and why not. They aren't going to get this guy in prison for a longer time before he dies so they may as well get something from him that can benefit the lives of citizens.

#56 Pot Odds RAC

Pot Odds RAC

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 7,172 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 03:11 AM

View PostJoeWalsh, on Thursday, August 27th, 2009, 6:30 AM, said:

Just so you know, Al Jazeera are one of the best news desks out there. They actually cover world issues in a pretty unbiased manner and are essentially the old BBC World middle east office. Some of their stuff will show bias but it is usually from opinion pieces and it will be one of the guests sprouting that nonsense. It is no different from Fox in the US throwing on a right winger to discuss the new health care bill or Sky News bringing on a Tory think tank leader to bash Brown.
Dave Marash might disagree

View PostJoeWalsh, on Thursday, August 27th, 2009, 6:30 AM, said:

As for the prisoner release, there is clearly more political motives at work here, and why not. They aren't going to get this guy in prison for a longer time before he dies so they may as well get something from him that can benefit the lives of citizens.
Yeah. Why not just politicize the Justice system so people know for certain Justice isn't "blind"?To hell with Victims and their sense of fairness, it isn't about them anyway.I mean, a sweetheart Oil Deal with Libya is worth more than Justice any day.

#57 owise1

owise1

Poker Forum Nut

• Members
  • 484 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 01:27 PM

View PostJoeWalsh, on Thursday, August 27th, 2009, 2:30 AM, said:

Just so you know, Al Jazeera are one of the best news desks out there. They actually cover world issues in a pretty unbiased manner and are essentially the old BBC World middle east office. Some of their stuff will show bias but it is usually from opinion pieces and it will be one of the guests sprouting that nonsense. It is no different from Fox in the US throwing on a right winger to discuss the new health care bill or Sky News bringing on a Tory think tank leader to bash Brown.As for the prisoner release, there is clearly more political motives at work here, and why not. They aren't going to get this guy in prison for a longer time before he dies so they may as well get something from him that can benefit the lives of citizens.
Highly probable.

QUOTE (sKIjaKuDa @ Tuesday, August 25th, 2009, 2:37 PM) Posted ImageEnglish Al-Jazeerathere are also issues with how this guy was convicted. he was put away mainly on hearsay:
Since most people don't click the links (from the National Post article here):POSSIBILITY 2: THE WRONG MANFor years, many well-informed people in the intelligence community have doubted al-Megrahi's guilt in the Lockerbie bombing. They have argued that the bombing was the work of a Syrian based Palestinian group, the PFLP-GC, working for the government of Iran.Among those who support the Iran-did-it theory are: (i) former Israeli prime minister Ariel Sharon; (ii) Robert Baer, the CIA official who worked directly on the Lockerbie case; (iii) Hans Koechler, the UN Security Council observer at al-Megrahi's trial; (iv) Robert Black, the Scottish lawyer who organized the trial proceedings; (v) Dr. Jim Swire, the spokesman for the families of British Lockerbie victims who lost his own daughter aboard Pan Am Flight 103; and (vi) David Horovitz, editor of the Jerusalem Post.The U. S. and U. K. publicly identified Libya as the guilty party in 1990. Why might Britain and the U. S. prefer to assert Libyan rather than Iranian and Syrian culpability at that time? Could it have been a thank you to Syria for joining the U. S.-U. K. Gulf War coalition against Iraq? Or was it simply less embarrassing this way? Five months before Lockerbie, a U. S. warship, the Vincennes, had mistakenly fired a missile at an Iranian passenger jet, killing 290 people. If Iran downed Pan Am 103, some might cite the Vincennes incident as justification or excuse.Question: Could it be that Hillary Clinton has come to believe the "wrong man" thesis? Here's what she had to say in a televised interview with the BBC on the eve of al-Megrahi's release:"I just think it is absolutely wrong to release someone who has been imprisoned based on the evidence about his involvement in such a horrendous crime." (Italics added.)That does not sound like ringing certainty about the man's guilt, does it?Doubts about al-Megrahi's guilt might explain the limpness of the Obama/Clinton statements about his early release. But such doubts would not excuse that limpness. If al-Megrahi is the wrong man, then there has been a miscarriage of justice. In that situation, al-Megrahi would deserve much more than release and a few quietly murmured words of "disappointment": He would deserve pardon, apology and compensation.But if al-Megrahi is the right man, then what has just happened in Scotland is an appalling outrage -- and the Obama administration's mealy-mouthed response to that outrage is a disgrace.ęDavid Frumdfrum@aei.org
A smart man learns from his mistakes.
A wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

From Harrington on Hold'em:
" ... if you've spent part of your life in an institution, this method may come naturally"

Looking for any poker books by D.R. Sherer.
PM me if you have any. Thanks

Winner of FCP WSOP Season 1 Event #11: Pot Limit Hold'em

#58 strategy

strategy

Internet expert

• Members
  • 15,932 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:strategy

Posted 30 August 2009 - 01:14 PM

http://www.timesonli...icle6814939.ecepossible deal involving BP.
QUOTE (ShakeZuma @ Wednesday, November 2nd, 2011, 4:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
seriously though, with that grammar it's really like, I mean it doesn't bother me as much that she gets beat, you know?

#59 Pot Odds RAC

Pot Odds RAC

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 7,172 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 01:17 PM

View Poststrategy, on Sunday, August 30th, 2009, 5:14 PM, said:

http://www.timesonli...icle6814939.ecepossible deal involving BP.
****ing amazing. I stand by my boycott of Scotch. If the Brits actually produced anything I'd boycott that too.

#60 strategy

strategy

Internet expert

• Members
  • 15,932 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:strategy

Posted 30 August 2009 - 01:18 PM

View PostPot Odds RAC, on Sunday, August 30th, 2009, 4:17 PM, said:

****ing amazing. I stand by my boycott of Scotch. If the Brits actually produced anything I'd boycott that too.
can't vouch for the source, but if that's true... LOL
QUOTE (ShakeZuma @ Wednesday, November 2nd, 2011, 4:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
seriously though, with that grammar it's really like, I mean it doesn't bother me as much that she gets beat, you know?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users