490 replies to this topic

#41 speedz99

speedz99

It don't matter to Jesus.

• Members
  • 28,085 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 11:49 AM

View Postajs510, on Friday, July 24th, 2009, 11:43 AM, said:

Is that the stuff that's made out of kangaroo meat or whatever? Our vet tried to sell us on some kind of allergen free food that cost like $80 for an 8 pound bag...he's a 100 pound black lab, we'd go through 5 of those bags a month, minimum.
I don't think so, he was probably trying to get you to use a limited ingredient food, which is usually simply one protein source and one carb source. Again, I don't think you should worry too much and start spending all kinds of money (plus the stress on him being medicated) until you think he's really uncomfortable.

View Postajs510, on Friday, July 24th, 2009, 11:43 AM, said:

I think he'd rather be itchy than not get his treats in the morning, to be honest.
Sounds like a good lab.
You got a date Wednesday, baby!

#42 ajs510

ajs510

Resident Evil

• Members
  • 24,991 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 11:52 AM

View Postspeedz99, on Friday, July 24th, 2009, 3:49 PM, said:

I don't think so, he was probably trying to get you to use a limited ingredient food, which is usually simply one protein source and one carb source. Again, I don't think you should worry too much and start spending all kinds of money (plus the stress on him being medicated) until you think he's really uncomfortable.
I don't think he's terribly uncomfortable, except when his ears get really bad. If he was in agony we'd certainly do something about it, I guess I was just wondering if there's a simple, commonly known fix for dog allergies that our vet isn't telling us about in the interest of $$$.

#43 pauld22

pauld22

Poker Forum Groupie

• Members
  • 745 posts
  • Interests:Golf, soccer, guitar

Posted 24 July 2009 - 11:58 AM

View Postvbnautilus, on Friday, July 24th, 2009, 2:29 PM, said:

Ok I have an honest question about this. We basically almost never cut our dogs' nails because I am afraid I am cutting flesh off their feet... the nails are totally black and there is no way whatsoever to tell where the nail ends and the quick begins. How the hell are you supposed to do this??
My vet showed me a good way.For the front paws have the dog sit. raise the paws up backward so the pads are facing up. It's much easier to see the quick unless the nails are dirty. For the back paws have the dog stand up. Do the same thing raising the paw up backward.We let out lab run around on the concrete pool deck quite a bit during the summer. It shaves the nails down so we don't have to cut them.And when we used these clippers she freaked out.Posted ImageWhen we switched to this kind she was much better about the whole ordeal.Posted ImageOurs has a small plate on the back so the nail can't get too deep.
It's easy to grin, when your ship comes in,
And you've got the stock market beat.

But the man worth while, is the man who can smile,
When his shorts are too tight in the seat.

#44 brvheart

brvheart

I'm the best.

• Members
  • 25,265 posts
  • Interests:Playing in nuclear fallout.
  • Favorite Poker Game:I play 100/200 live with my best friend Jason.

Posted 24 July 2009 - 12:02 PM

View Postspeedz99, on Friday, July 24th, 2009, 1:42 PM, said:

That's always tough, even for people that do it every day. There's no easy answer...you just take a little off until you can see a small circle in the middle of the nail, which means the quick is getting close. One thing you can do is just take off the hooked part of the nail...if you look under it you can kind of see where the straight nail ends and it starts to curve. I do recommend at least trying to cut them, since the quick grows along with the nail. The longer you let it go, the harder they'll be to trim. And the first few times you do it only take a tiny bit off and give them plenty of treats so it'll be a good experience. Do that once a week or so until they're comfortable enough to let you start to really shave some off.
Our cat hates me because of nail clipping time. Hates. Me.

View PostiZuma, on 20 August 2012 - 11:32 AM, said:

napa I was jesus christing suited, you guys just slipped in before me.

View PostEssay21, on 25 February 2013 - 08:32 PM, said:

#45 gobears

gobears

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 6,096 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 12:04 PM

View Postvbnautilus, on Friday, July 24th, 2009, 11:29 AM, said:

Ok I have an honest question about this. We basically almost never cut our dogs' nails because I am afraid I am cutting flesh off their feet... the nails are totally black and there is no way whatsoever to tell where the nail ends and the quick begins. How the hell are you supposed to do this??
Same problem - we just run the dog on concrete and hope that trims down the nail enough. Also, our dog doesn't like us to touch his paws - he had a broken foot when he was young so maybe that has something to do with it.
Work to live, don't live to work - Todd Harrison

#46 speedz99

speedz99

• Members
  • 28,085 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 12:05 PM

View Postajs510, on Friday, July 24th, 2009, 11:52 AM, said:

I guess I was just wondering if there's a simple, commonly known fix for dog allergies that our vet isn't telling us about in the interest of $$$.
Nope. When they get really bad it's easy to put them on a short term run of steroids (pred), which is fairly inexpensive, but that's just for flare-ups and is in no way a "fix", plus it's not good for them to be on steroids too often.If you're afraid that your vet isn't fixing your dog's allergies because he wants to convince you to spend more money, you need to find a new vet.

#47 speedz99

speedz99

• Members
  • 28,085 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 12:08 PM

View Postgobears, on Friday, July 24th, 2009, 12:04 PM, said:

Same problem - we just run the dog on concrete and hope that trims down the nail enough. Also, our dog doesn't like us to touch his paws - he had a broken foot when he was young so maybe that has something to do with it.
Around here plenty of animal hospitals will do a quick nail trim for $15-$20...do that once a month and you won't have to worry about it anymore.

#48 Suited_Up

Suited_Up

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 25,723 posts
  • Interests:Poker and Sports

Posted 24 July 2009 - 12:40 PM

View Postpauld22, on Friday, July 24th, 2009, 2:58 PM, said:

My vet showed me a good way.For the front paws have the dog sit. raise the paws up backward so the pads are facing up. It's much easier to see the quick unless the nails are dirty. For the back paws have the dog stand up. Do the same thing raising the paw up backward.We let out lab run around on the concrete pool deck quite a bit during the summer. It shaves the nails down so we don't have to cut them.And when we used these clippers she freaked out.[picture]When we switched to this kind she was much better about the whole ordeal.[picture]Ours has a small plate on the back so the nail can't get too deep.

View PostSuited_Up, on Friday, July 24th, 2009, 1:32 PM, said:

My post wasn't really a joke.
-Kurt

#49 Balloon guy

Balloon guy

Deplorable Lives Matter

• Members
  • 24,371 posts
  • Interests:Cigars, Flying, Golf, Bible
  • Favorite Poker Game:Golf

Posted 24 July 2009 - 12:48 PM

View PostSuited_Up, on Friday, July 24th, 2009, 1:40 PM, said:

My post wasn't really a joke.
I feel you
I use my cigar smoke as idiot repellent

The government was set to protect man from criminals - and the Constitution was written to protect man from the government. - Ayn Rand

#50 Mercury69

Mercury69

Half man! Half man!

• Members
  • 14,244 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:NLHE

Posted 24 July 2009 - 12:55 PM

Is it safe or hygenic to **** an animal? Inquiring minds want to know. Or, at least, a "friend" of mine. Yessss, a friend....
"We had all the momentum. We were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look west, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark, that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back." —Raoul Duke, Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas

"Those are brave men knocking at the door. Let's go and kill them!" - Tyrion Lannister

#51 Jeepster80125

Jeepster80125

Forum Conspiracy Theory Buster; Dreamcrusher

• Members
  • 6,785 posts
  • Interests:poker

Posted 24 July 2009 - 01:53 PM

edit
Posted Image
QUOTE (Spademan @ Friday, May 22nd, 2009, 4:24 PM)
We are both being judgmental, the only difference is my judgments are well reasoned, well presented and actually have something to do with reality whereas yours are inane assumption wrapped in a steaming pile of contradiction.

#52 Sal Paradise

Sal Paradise

shot down in a blaze of glory

• Members
  • 6,833 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:cuddling

Posted 24 July 2009 - 02:04 PM

View PostJeepster80125, on Friday, July 24th, 2009, 5:53 PM, said:

edit
was it something about mercury being retarded? I bet it was.
QUOTE (Tactical Bear @ Monday, June 15th, 2009, 9:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anybody who dies of Swine Flu is just a faggot.

#53 hblask

hblask

Perpetual slow learner

• Members
  • 9,860 posts
  • Interests:Just deal the cards already

Posted 24 July 2009 - 03:17 PM

View PostSouthern Buddhist, on Friday, July 24th, 2009, 12:56 PM, said:

If you can't be bothered to clip a cat's nails, you really have no business owning a pet at all.
What if it just showed up at our door, and the choice was to let it in and feed it or have it eaten by coyotes?Then what are my responsibilities? She'd claw my face off if I tried to clip her nails.
"Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?" -- J. Coulton

#54 timwakefield

timwakefield

I haven't got the time time

• Members
  • 14,413 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:Boxmaha

Posted 24 July 2009 - 03:32 PM

Piddleduck, my cat looks a lot like yours. She has the longest hair ever. Her name is Ol' Dirty Bastard. We got her and her 5 siblings when they were 2 weeks old. My roommate found them outside without their mother, who must have been injured or killed. Anyways we took them all in and raised them from bottles. ODB was the runt, and the vet told us not to be surprised if 1 or 2 of them didn't make it. She couldn't really clean herself, and once they graduated to regular food mashed up with milk, she got her name, as she would just plunge her whole body into the food bowl, and then not clean herself. We gave them lots of baths, which was the cutest thing ever. You could literally hold all 6 of them in your two hands when we first got them. The other 5 all got given away at various times, but the ODB stuck with me. Well, me and my ex-roommate (one of the ones who was there from day 1) trade her off between us, depending on if one of us goes away for awhile or one of us moves to a non-cat apartment (him). So I've got her for a good long while. Oh, we named her before we knew her sex, but the name fits her so goddam well, even now that clean and pretty. She's like the most talkative cat ever, and grumbles a lot. Also, she completely hates strangers, to the point that she hisses at anybody who she doesn't know. We think she may have been abused during a year-long stay she had with a third person, who is not a good friend of either me or Dirty's other owner. So yeah - no questions for speedz, just sharing my pet. Here she is looking characteristically dirty, with a face full of sawdust or pollen or something.Posted Image
Karl: She was a bit -- what's the word that you can use, cuz I don't wanna offend anyone?
Steve: Was she a homeless person?
Karl: Yeah but sort of mental homeless.

#55 Southern Buddhist

Southern Buddhist

I take easygoing to the extreme

• Members
  • 1,783 posts
  • Interests:Buddhism, NASCAR, Shakespeare, _Futurama_, and poker. No kidding. Someday I plan to corner the market on freaky unrelated interests, and then I'll take over the world.

Posted 24 July 2009 - 04:29 PM

View Posthblask, on Friday, July 24th, 2009, 7:17 PM, said:

What if it just showed up at our door, and the choice was to let it in and feed it or have it eaten by coyotes?Then what are my responsibilities? She'd claw my face off if I tried to clip her nails.
Always the libertarian. Back in college, my housemate had a cat that was very much an independent outdoor cat. He nearly emasculated the vet when the vet tried to clip his claws. It took a leash and a towel wrapped around the cat's whole body to get it done, and he still hissed and screamed the whole time.As I understand it, a kitten only has about the first six months of life to get used to humans. If it has good early interactions with humans during that time, it will be pretty much a tame housecat for life. If it has bad interactions or no interaction at all, then it's a cat's cat and will kill you if you try to touch it or look at it wrong.Sounds like you might have the latter. In that case, scratching post or concrete (if she goes outdoors anymore). But I still wouldn't declaw it, because declawing is still amputation of a perfectly healthy body part.My grandmother "kept" 6-10 cats on their farm. She threw out scraps and the cats would come eat, but they were totally feral. They never let us kids near them, and they used the fence posts around the pasture to keep their claws trimmed.P.S. Minnesota has coyotes??? I would think it would be too cold.

#56 Southern Buddhist

Southern Buddhist

I take easygoing to the extreme

• Members
  • 1,783 posts
  • Interests:Buddhism, NASCAR, Shakespeare, _Futurama_, and poker. No kidding. Someday I plan to corner the market on freaky unrelated interests, and then I'll take over the world.

Posted 24 July 2009 - 04:31 PM

View PostMercury69, on Friday, July 24th, 2009, 4:55 PM, said:

Is it safe or hygenic to **** an animal? Inquiring minds want to know. Or, at least, a "friend" of mine. Yessss, a friend....
"Hey, Moe, I've got this friend ... Joey ... Jo-Jo ..."

#57 JoeyJoJo

JoeyJoJo

On the road to 8,143 (approximately)

• Members
  • 8,141 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 04:40 PM

View PostSouthern Buddhist, on Friday, July 24th, 2009, 5:31 PM, said:

"Hey, Moe, I've got this friend ... Joey ... Jo-Jo ..."
:looks up from my drink:
Homer: Moe, I need your advice.
Moe: Yeah?
Homer: See, I got this friend named... Joey Jo Jo... Junior... Shabadoo.
Moe: That's the worst name I ever heard.

#58 timwakefield

timwakefield

I haven't got the time time

• Members
  • 14,413 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:Boxmaha

Posted 24 July 2009 - 05:10 PM

View PostSouthern Buddhist, on Friday, July 24th, 2009, 8:29 PM, said:

But I still wouldn't declaw it, because declawing is still amputation of a perfectly healthy body part.
Declawing is awful for a cat. Like you said it is unnecessary amputation, and can cause major problems. And besides medical problems, you are literally taking away their only defense/offense. If a declawed cat gets in danger, it has no way of defending itself. I don't clip my cat's nails. I've tried a few times, but she flatly refuses. I'm not sure why it would be worth it to wrap her in a towel and have her screaming and crying about it? Clipping a cat's nails is something that has to be done on a regular basis if your goal is to keep the cat's nails from being super sharp and scratchy. But the nails take care of themselves too, or at least the cat takes care of them his/herself. Cats don't scratch couches and posts and things just for fun - it is their way of manicuring their nails, and removing dead layers.
Karl: She was a bit -- what's the word that you can use, cuz I don't wanna offend anyone?
Steve: Was she a homeless person?
Karl: Yeah but sort of mental homeless.

#59 Allie

Allie

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 6,264 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 05:21 PM

Hi.I just wanted to throw out some info for Adam (?) regarding the allergy issues with your Lab. (he's very handsome btw)I had a Golden Retriever with severe allergies - he passed on 2 years ago at the age of 13. He developed skin allergies very early - before a year old, and it was an ongoing issue all his life. It started with very bad ear infection when he was about 9 months old, which turned out to be due to allergies and scratching his ears - causing open areas - bleeding and infection.We then spent the better part of 2 years trying to control the allergies. He had allergy testing - which revealed numerous allergies to common things, including dust, various grasses, trees, etc - this is very typical and common. We tried allergy shots for a year, which didn't work for him. (lots of money and no positive results). We tried several medications, and at the end of the day.....the only thing that worked for him was predisone (a corticosteriod). Eventually, we came down to using low dose prednisone on a regular basis. This is far from an ideal scenario......as prednisone has several detrimental side effects.....(liver damage, muscle wasting, increased appetite and weight gain, and others). He did put on weight and was a beast for food.....but we monitored the other things closely (ie. checked by the vet regularly for muscle wasting/liver symptoms etc). After dealing with this for about 11 years.....I have no doubt in my mind, that the allergy symptoms caused him great discomfort. Insatiable itching......causing the frequent ear scratching and paw chewing.....can't have been pleasant for him. Pretty much every time I took him off the pred - he would develop an ear infection, or chew his paws raw. Imo......the prednisone was the lesser of 2 evils. Keeping him on a maintenance dose, with occasional increases in dosage when things flared up - overall didn't hurt him in the long run. He lived to 13.....developed cancer (throat) and had to be put down.I'm not suggesting that your dog necessarily needs prednisone, but from what you've described I'd say it's highly likely that he has allergies other than food allergies - environmental allergies that you can't remove from his environment. The itching is probably pretty uncomfortable and he may need meds. Just my 2 cents. But, I'm no Speedz. :)side note: I have another Golden - she's almost 2 now. So far, no sign of allergy problems. She's a sweetie. Posted Image
Gonna end up a big ol' pile of them bones

#60 JSpencer

JSpencer

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 05:26 PM

Pedipaws is amazing btw. I recommend it to anyone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users