Deplorable Lives Matter

• Members
  • 24,378 posts
  • Interests:Cigars, Flying, Golf, Bible
  • Favorite Poker Game:Golf

Posted 24 July 2009 - 10:54 AM

View Postspeedz99, on Friday, July 24th, 2009, 11:51 AM, said:

I can't tell if this is a joke.
You're the pitcher on the mound who threw the ball and is now looking around trying to figure out what happened...don't be that guy
I use my cigar smoke as idiot repellent

The government was set to protect man from criminals - and the Constitution was written to protect man from the government. - Ayn Rand

#22 Southern Buddhist

Southern Buddhist

I take easygoing to the extreme

• Members
  • 1,783 posts
  • Interests:Buddhism, NASCAR, Shakespeare, _Futurama_, and poker. No kidding. Someday I plan to corner the market on freaky unrelated interests, and then I'll take over the world.

Posted 24 July 2009 - 10:56 AM

View PostBalloon guy, on Friday, July 24th, 2009, 2:48 PM, said:

Can't you just declaw them? Why wouldn't you do that?
You're welcome to deride this as rampant liberalism, but declawing a cat is pretty much the same as amputating your own fingertips back to the first knuckle, because you've decided you're too lazy to trim your nails. In Britain, most vets refuse to declaw, on the grounds that it's mutilating a cat for the laziness of the owner. I don't know about American vets, because we've never asked, but I would hope that they're at least beginning to have the same attitude here.If you can't be bothered to clip a cat's nails, you really have no business owning a pet at all.Although ours are 100% indoor cats, there is always the argument, too, that should they get outside they need the claws for protection and should they get lost, they need them to get their own food.

#23 Southern Buddhist

Southern Buddhist

• Members
  • 1,783 posts
  • Interests:Buddhism, NASCAR, Shakespeare, _Futurama_, and poker. No kidding. Someday I plan to corner the market on freaky unrelated interests, and then I'll take over the world.

Posted 24 July 2009 - 10:59 AM

Okay, probably a joke, and I'm way too literal-minded.Question, though, for Speedz: our old cat purrs all the time. If she's conscious, she's purring. Is that normal?

#24 speedz99

speedz99

It don't matter to Jesus.

• Members
  • 28,085 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 10:59 AM

View PostJoeyJoJo, on Friday, July 24th, 2009, 10:52 AM, said:

You're welcome.
I don't understand this comment and I won't respond to it.

View PostBalloon guy, on Friday, July 24th, 2009, 10:54 AM, said:

don't be that guy
BG, I'm always that guy.
You got a date Wednesday, baby!

#25 speedz99

speedz99

• Members
  • 28,085 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 11:01 AM

View PostSouthern Buddhist, on Friday, July 24th, 2009, 10:59 AM, said:

Question, though, for Speedz: our old cat purrs all the time. If she's conscious, she's purring. Is that normal?
It's not really normal, no, but I doubt it's anything to worry about...I've never heard of that being a symptom of a medical problem. She's probably a bit senile.

#26 Southern Buddhist

Southern Buddhist

• Members
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 11:03 AM

View Postspeedz99, on Friday, July 24th, 2009, 3:01 PM, said:

It's not really normal, no, but I doubt it's anything to worry about...I've never heard of that being a symptom of a medical problem. She's probably a bit senile.
Make that a lot senile. Thanks.

#27 ajs510

ajs510

Resident Evil

• Members
  • 24,991 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 11:04 AM

What possible reason could there be for a Labrador Retriever to lose all of the hair in only one of his front armpits?

#28 speedz99

speedz99

• Members
  • 28,085 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 11:07 AM

View Postajs510, on Friday, July 24th, 2009, 11:04 AM, said:

What possible reason could there be for a Labrador Retriever to lose all of the hair in only one of his front armpits?
Allergies can manifest themselves in weird ways. It could be a minor hotspot. Maybe an insect bite that caused a reaction. That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

#29 Balloon guy

Balloon guy

Deplorable Lives Matter

• Members
  • 24,378 posts
  • Interests:Cigars, Flying, Golf, Bible
  • Favorite Poker Game:Golf

Posted 24 July 2009 - 11:08 AM

View PostSouthern Buddhist, on Friday, July 24th, 2009, 12:03 PM, said:

Make that a lot senile. Thanks.
Then it won't mind if you declaw it.After all, cats have been known to sit on the chests of babies and suck their life force out of them.I saw a documentary about it once, or a movie, one of those.
I use my cigar smoke as idiot repellent

The government was set to protect man from criminals - and the Constitution was written to protect man from the government. - Ayn Rand

#30 ajs510

ajs510

Resident Evil

• Members
  • 24,991 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 11:10 AM

View Postspeedz99, on Friday, July 24th, 2009, 3:07 PM, said:

Allergies can manifest themselves in weird ways. It could be a minor hotspot. Maybe an insect bite that caused a reaction. That's all I can think of off the top of my head.
He does seem to be very allergic for some reason, he sheds like crazy and likes to chew his feet with a passion. We've tried switching up his food a couple of times, but nothing seems to make any real difference.

#31 Piddle Duck

Piddle Duck

OH YEAH

• Members
  • 2,678 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:Peeing for distance

Posted 24 July 2009 - 11:13 AM

How do you cut a cat's nails if unlike SB's lucid senile cats, yours is young and when you have one paw in your grasp her other paws are ripping your stomach and I swear I see intestines now?None of the vets I know around me will declaw a cat after 1 year old. We didn't get Cordy(our cat who gutted me) declawed because no vet would when we got her when she was about 1. Probably the nicest thing we did for her and our new ikea couch is a big fan as well, NOT. That's a good question, what are some things we can do to get her not to continue to ruin ikea rugs (we have gone through 2 already) and the new couch? We have tried the squirt bottle, big deal, she thinks it is a game. We have tried the NO-Scratch spray, has garlic and stuff in it that is supposed to make her want nothing to do with nothing and that works as well as dousing the rug in catnip spray.We also have bought her about 3 scratching pads of different sizes and shapes and she will usually do that first then go to the couch and the rug.Any ideas would be much appreciated.

#32 speedz99

speedz99

• Members
  • 28,085 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 11:15 AM

View Postajs510, on Friday, July 24th, 2009, 11:10 AM, said:

He does seem to be very allergic for some reason, he sheds like crazy and likes to chew his feet with a passion. We've tried switching up his food a couple of times, but nothing seems to make any real difference.
Unfortunately, allergies are fairly common in labs and can be a huge pain in the ass. The shedding is normal, but the feet chewing and hair loss are good signs of allergies to...something. Do the symptoms seem to be seasonal? What kind of foods have you tried? Food trials due to possible allergies can be more intense than most people know. Have you tried any medications?I'm not saying you should definitely be medicating your otherwise healthy young lab, it's just something to think about in case the symptoms get to a point where you think he's really uncomfortable all the time.

#33 speedz99

speedz99

• Members
  • 28,085 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 11:23 AM

View PostPiddle Duck, on Friday, July 24th, 2009, 11:13 AM, said:

How do you cut a cat's nails if unlike SB's lucid senile cats, yours is young and when you have one paw in your grasp her other paws are ripping your stomach and I swear I see intestines now?
You get someone to hold her...safest way is to have your assistant hold her on her side by the scruff. It's easiest if the assistant's forearm (of the hand holding her scruff) is on the table, stabilizing her back so she can't squirm around.

View PostPiddle Duck, on Friday, July 24th, 2009, 11:13 AM, said:

That's a good question, what are some things we can do to get her not to continue to ruin ikea rugs (we have gone through 2 already) and the new couch? We have tried the squirt bottle, big deal, she thinks it is a game. We have tried the NO-Scratch spray, has garlic and stuff in it that is supposed to make her want nothing to do with nothing and that works as well as dousing the rug in catnip spray.We also have bought her about 3 scratching pads of different sizes and shapes and she will usually do that first then go to the couch and the rug.
Have you tried scratching posts, or just pads?You could use soft paws...they work really well, but are a pain to apply.

#34 ajs510

ajs510

Resident Evil

• Members
  • 24,991 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 11:24 AM

View Postspeedz99, on Friday, July 24th, 2009, 3:15 PM, said:

Unfortunately, allergies are fairly common in labs and can be a huge pain in the ass. The shedding is normal, but the feet chewing and hair loss are good signs of allergies to...something. Do the symptoms seem to be seasonal? What kind of foods have you tried? Food trials due to possible allergies can be more intense than most people know. Have you tried any medications?I'm not saying you should definitely be medicating your otherwise healthy young lab, it's just something to think about in case the symptoms get to a point where you think he's really uncomfortable all the time.
We had him on Beneful when I moved in with my wife three years ago, then I read an article that said it's basically the worst dog food in existence so we switched both dogs to alternating green bag and red bag Iams (red would be the lamb and rice formula, we switched back and forth a few times to see if there was a difference, there wasn't). Now the dogs are on Premium Edge Chicken Rice and Vegetables, they seem to enjoy the food but the allergies persist. He also has horrible ear infection issues but I know that's a breed problem, we try to stay on top of it.We haven't medicated him thusfar, because just finding out what he's allergic to will be a long, expensive process.

#35 Piddle Duck

Piddle Duck

OH YEAH

• Members
  • 2,678 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 11:28 AM

View Postspeedz99, on Friday, July 24th, 2009, 3:23 PM, said:

You get someone to hold her...safest way is to have your assistant hold her on her side by the scruff. It's easiest if the assistant's forearm (of the hand holding her scruff) is on the table, stabilizing her back so she can't squirm around.Have you tried scratching posts, or just pads?You could use soft paws...they work really well, but are a pain to apply.
Yeah she has a scratching post too. She is just incorrigible.Soft paws are cool, I want to get a bunch of different colors but as you say they look like a pain to apply but if it saves $800 worth of furniture I guess it is one way to go.

#36 speedz99

speedz99

• Members
  • 28,085 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 11:31 AM

View Postajs510, on Friday, July 24th, 2009, 11:24 AM, said:

We had him on Beneful when I moved in with my wife three years ago, then I read an article that said it's basically the worst dog food in existence so we switched both dogs to alternating green bag and red bag Iams (red would be the lamb and rice formula, we switched back and forth a few times to see if there was a difference, there wasn't). Now the dogs are on Premium Edge Chicken Rice and Vegetables, they seem to enjoy the food but the allergies persist. He also has horrible ear infection issues but I know that's a breed problem, we try to stay on top of it.
In order to really help with a food allergy, the vast majority of the time you have to put a dog on limited ingredient prescription food. Unfortunately, it's kind of expensive to do so. Venison & Potato, Duck & Green Pea, etc. There's also something called ZD and ZD Ultra, which is the ultimate allergen free food. To do a food trial you have to use one of these foods for at least 4-6 weeks and feed him nothing else...not even treats.

View Postajs510, on Friday, July 24th, 2009, 11:24 AM, said:

We haven't medicated him thusfar, because just finding out what he's allergic to will be a long, expensive process.
You don't have to find out exactly what he's allergic to in order to medicate...any vet that tells you that is just trying to sell you on a ridiculously expensive allergy panel. It can be treated symptomatically without a definitive diagnosis.

#37 Piddle Duck

Piddle Duck

OH YEAH

• Members
  • 2,678 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 11:32 AM

Pet threads should always have pics of pets imoThe first couch she ruined...Posted Image"Don't even think of fucking with my nails."Posted Image

#38 ajs510

ajs510

Resident Evil

• Members
  • 24,991 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 11:43 AM

View Postspeedz99, on Friday, July 24th, 2009, 3:31 PM, said:

In order to really help with a food allergy, the vast majority of the time you have to put a dog on limited ingredient prescription food. Unfortunately, it's kind of expensive to do so. Venison & Potato, Duck & Green Pea, etc. There's also something called ZD and ZD Ultra, which is the ultimate allergen free food. To do a food trial you have to use one of these foods for at least 4-6 weeks and feed him nothing else...not even treats.You don't have to find out exactly what he's allergic to in order to medicate...any vet that tells you that is just trying to sell you on a ridiculously expensive allergy panel. It can be treated symptomatically without a definitive diagnosis.
Is that the stuff that's made out of kangaroo meat or whatever? Our vet tried to sell us on some kind of allergen free food that cost like $80 for an 8 pound bag...he's a 100 pound black lab, we'd go through 5 of those bags a month, minimum. I think he'd rather be itchy than not get his treats in the morning, to be honest.

#39 ajs510

ajs510

Resident Evil

• Members
  • 24,991 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 11:48 AM

I've posted pictures of Shadow before, but this is the big boy again...Posted Image

#40 Southern Buddhist

Southern Buddhist

• Members
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 11:49 AM

View PostPiddle Duck, on Friday, July 24th, 2009, 3:32 PM, said:

Pet threads should always have pics of pets imoThe first couch she ruined...Posted Image
I had that exact same couch. It's long gone -- I think the fabric was really pretty thin and cheesy for something that gets as much wear as a sofa.Here's my cat pic -- our adorable younger cat Peanut. She's eight now, but this is from when we rescued her as a 10-day-old kitten. We bottle-fed her for two months and had to massage her tummy to get her to poop, so she's really our baby, and extremely human-identified.Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users