• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 vbnautilus

vbnautilus

psychonaut

• Members
  • 10,316 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 01:04 PM

The other big theory right now which isn't quite mentioned in that article is memory consolidation. The idea is that dreams constitute a sort of rehearsal process which helps memories burn in. There's some evidence for this -- sleep deprivation can lead to worse memory for things the night before -- which is part of the reason staying up all night before a test is not a great strategy. The activation-synthesis model I think is probably the most reasonable description of where dream content comes from in the brain.I sometimes do the following demo in class: One student leaves the room. She is told that while she is gone, someone will recount a dream. When she comes back she must learn about the content of the dream by asking only yes or no questions. Her goal is to "psychoanalyze" the dream and determine who dreamt it (if the class is small enough, or just if it was a male or female in larger classes). However, when the student leaves the room I tell the rest of the class that they will answer according to the following rule: if the last letter of the question is A-M we answer "yes" otherwise "no". In other words, our answers are random, but unified. The dream narrative that results from this process is a result of the questions the person chooses to ask, and our random confirmations/disconfirmations. The trick is that the origin of the dream is of course the student herself -- it reflects what is on her mind, and is also random/bizarre.

#42 Flushgarden

Flushgarden

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 4,963 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 06:54 AM

I had an odd dream the other night.For some reason unknown to me I had to push a mattress along the side of a road every day. It was the same route every day, and the total round trip was about 40 miles. The half-way point was a house (I don't know who's house it is), where I was allowed to take a short break before I had to turn around and push the mattress back to where it came from. On this particular day in my dream when I got to the house my wife was there with a lot of people that I knew from high school. They were playing volleyball and socializing and having fun and stuff. However when I attempted to talk to anybody I was completely ignored. It was like they couldn't see me. I think the high school people are there because I recently was coerced into joining facebook and have come into contact with a lot of old friends and acquaintances. I still can't figure out why I had to push a mattress for 40 miles every day or why I was being ignored/unable to be seen. I do remember having a feeling of shame because I had to push the mattress.
-Danny

#43 suicideking

suicideking

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 05:27 PM

View PostFlushgarden, on Monday, July 27th, 2009, 7:54 AM, said:

a feeling of shame because I had to push the mattress.
Hate your job?

#44 Flushgarden

Flushgarden

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 4,963 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 12:19 AM

View Postsuicideking, on Tuesday, July 28th, 2009, 6:27 PM, said:

Hate your job?
I have hated previous jobs but right now I play poker for a living. Sometimes its a grind and can be stressful, but I love it and wouldn't trade it for a real job.
-Danny

#45 chaselove

chaselove

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 06:25 AM

I use dreambible.com when I get weird dreams.

#46 brvheart

brvheart

I'm the best.

• Members
  • 22,961 posts
  • Interests:Playing in nuclear fallout.
  • Favorite Poker Game:I play 100/200 live with my best friend Jason.

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:37 AM

View Postchaselove, on Wednesday, March 7th, 2012, 8:25 AM, said:

I use dreambible.com when I get weird dreams.
If you're a spammer, that was clever. Nice work.
CAPITALISM: God's way of determining who is smart and who is poor. - Ron Swanson ---> Video:Ron's Pyramid of Greatness Picture: Poster Size

View PostSuitedAces21, on 20 August 2012 - 11:14 AM, said:

tilt you suck.

View PostEssay21, on 25 February 2013 - 08:32 PM, said:

titly suck a dick bitch

#47 Mercury69

Mercury69

Half man! Half man!

• Members
  • 14,244 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:NLHE

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:50 AM

OK, I'll go out on a limb here.what does it mean when I dream I can suck my own dick?
"We had all the momentum. We were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look west, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark, that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back." —Raoul Duke, Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas

"Those are brave men knocking at the door. Let's go and kill them!" - Tyrion Lannister

#48 CobaltBlue

CobaltBlue

Post-Apocalyptic Wanderer

• Members
  • 9,615 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:Hold 'Em, Crazy Pineapple, 2-7 TD

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:42 AM

View PostMercury69, on Friday, March 23rd, 2012, 11:50 AM, said:

OK, I'll go out on a limb here.what does it mean when I dream I can suck my own dick?
That you're male?
Seals With Clubs - Bitcoin Poker Room - Easy and Fast Deposits and Cashouts (Open to US)
https://sealswithclu...aff.php?aff=182

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users