91 replies to this topic

#21 Piddle Duck

Piddle Duck

OH YEAH

• Members
  • 2,678 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:Peeing for distance

Posted 31 July 2009 - 08:55 AM

Washburn for some prospect that I am not familiar with and Luke French.Do I like it? Not really. While having 3 of the top ten SP's in the AL in your rotation sounds like a great thing, the problem is this. 1. We don't need pitching. We need bats. We have only one player in our lineup(s) that hits over .270. 2. We don't need pitching. We have no legit lead off guy. I love Grandy but he is not a lead off guy.3. Inge is injured. He is playing hurt and they have no one to really replace him and thus he gets to play instead of go on the DL and it is hurting the team more with him in there. Go after a 3rd baseman. 4. I don't mind getting Washburn except we gave away what I believe was a needed part of this starting rotation. By giving up French we have to keep Porcello in the rotation. He has lost velocity, he has pitched more innings than he ever has at the tender age of 20, and he is never allowed to go past 5 innings thus forcing the weak BP to work extra hard and put more pressure on Verlander, Edwin, Wash, and Galalalalraalalgaga to go longer. If you get Wash and not give up French then you can send Porcello back down which I think personally is better for his development and better for this team which, if you are getting a rental pitcher it must mean you are going for it this year. French is a perfect 5th man in this rotation and now we don't have anything and we have to risk putting Porcello out there and hope he doesn't get injured or break his confidence. 5. WE NEED A BAT OR TWO. So now instead of losing 2-1 3 times a full rotation we lose 2-1 4 times. Big deal. We can't hit. Don't be fooled by one single 13 run game against Texas with a crappy pitcher and no Kinsler in the lineup. Don't get fooled by what happens in Cleveland as well.

#22 JoeyJoJo

JoeyJoJo

On the road to 8,143 (approximately)

• Members
  • 8,141 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 11:56 AM

View PostPiddle Duck, on Friday, July 31st, 2009, 9:55 AM, said:

1. We don't need pitching.2. We don't need pitching.5. Don't be fooled by one single 13 run game against Texas with a crappy pitcher and no Kinsler in the lineup.
1. Yes, you do.2. Every team can use more pitching.5. I don't think Kinsler is that good defensively.
Homer: Moe, I need your advice.
Moe: Yeah?
Homer: See, I got this friend named... Joey Jo Jo... Junior... Shabadoo.
Moe: That's the worst name I ever heard.

#23 coug2828

coug2828

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 01:18 PM

depends on which washburn shows up. if it's the washburn from the last 3 months who's been lights out, good pickup. if it's the washburn who was affectionately known around here as washbum for the previous 3 years and basically stole 36 million dollars from the mariners, bad pickup

#24 SBriand

SBriand

Viva La Beaver!

• Members
  • 15,097 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 02:07 PM

View PostJoeyJoJo, on Friday, July 31st, 2009, 3:56 PM, said:

1. Yes, you do.2. Every team can use more pitching.5. I don't think Kinsler is that good defensively.
1. Not as much as a bat2. Not as much as a bat5. I know it was a joke but I suck at those.
QUOTE (digitalmonkey @ Wednesday, August 18th, 2010, 1:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Steve,

It doesn't matter who you start because you have a horse shoe up your ass so far I'm not really sure how you get through the day. You must be gay.

#25 JoeyJoJo

JoeyJoJo

On the road to 8,143 (approximately)

• Members
  • 8,141 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 02:14 PM

View PostSBriand, on Friday, July 31st, 2009, 3:07 PM, said:

1. Not as much as a bat2. Not as much as a bat5. I know it was a joke but I suck at those.
1. Even if that's true (and I certainly don't know enough about the Tigers to say it isn't), that doesn't make the trade in and of itself a bad one. Of the non-pitchers that have been traded this week, who would you want and do you think you could've got them for who you gave up in this trade? Do you think you could've got Scott Rolen?2. I think you just said that every team could use a bat more than pitching.
Homer: Moe, I need your advice.
Moe: Yeah?
Homer: See, I got this friend named... Joey Jo Jo... Junior... Shabadoo.
Moe: That's the worst name I ever heard.

#26 rivergirl

rivergirl

DONKEY LUCKER

• Members
  • 2,462 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:PLO8

Posted 02 August 2009 - 05:27 AM

I really didn't mind the washburn trade at all. They didn't give up much (compared to what TO was asking for RH) I don't think French is gonna be the next Smoltz, although i'm hoping Washburn does the same thing Alexander did in 84.I was super impressed with Porcello last night, he definately made the nay-sayers question themselves and I believe this kid has a very bright future. I'm happy the tigers are looking to keep him long term instead of using him as a bargaining chip to aquire an old guy who might have a couple years left.I agree with the hitting thing, we really need a bat in the lineup. Maybe CG coming back will be the spark the club needs. The price at the trade deadline was WAY too much to add a corner infielder. Since they weren't putting Inge on the DL maybe they could've kept that quiet. I think the fact that EVERYBODY knew they were looking for a 3rd baseman to let BI rest a bit might have drove the price up that much more. Regardless of that tho, a strong hitter was gonna cost them anyway.BTW, i was upset that they didn't let RP come out for the 9th last night. His pitch count under 100, his stuff was amazing and putting FR in the game still scares the hell out of me. Not to mention, he was well overdue to blow a save. I just thought the kid deserved to go the distance. Its too bad that after the incredible performance, he doesn't get the win.
QUOTE(chrozzo @ Tuesday, December 11th, 2007, 8:35 PM) View Post
hi
<3 rg
hi

#27 rivergirl

rivergirl

DONKEY LUCKER

• Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 06:24 PM

i'm so glad the bats woke up tonight....i wish we would've taken a closer at the TD tho, i don't know if i can ride the rodney rollercoaster much longer.
hi
<3 rg
hi

#28 Piddle Duck

Piddle Duck

OH YEAH

• Members
  • 2,678 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:Peeing for distance

Posted 10 August 2009 - 09:07 AM

View Postrivergirl, on Friday, August 7th, 2009, 10:24 PM, said:

i'm so glad the bats woke up tonight....i wish we would've taken a closer at the TD tho, i don't know if i can ride the rodney rollercoaster much longer.
I don't get why people want to get rid of Rodney or wanted them to get a closer at the trade deadline. Do you know how many teams and fans would be content with having their closer blow their first save in the month of August. All of them I suspect except for Detroit. There is not one closer in the league right now with 7 or more saves that has not blown at least one save. Many have more than 1. Actually 34 closers with 7 or more saves and all have blown saves and 6 have 1 blown save and Rodney is one of them. Why on earth would the Tigers get a closer at the trade deadline? Especially since I believe at the trade deadline he was the only closer with 7 or more saves without a blown save. He might make it interesting but his job is to close the game out, and he has done that at a 96% clip. Nothing at all wrong with that part of this team.

#29 rivergirl

rivergirl

DONKEY LUCKER

• Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 12:12 PM

he makes it way tooooo interesting for my liking. especially when he's in a non-save situation. His era is kind of high, he walks alot of batters, although his so/bb ratio is only 2/1, i think it could be better for a closer. I've always had a problem when they put him in a game, unfortunately, i don't think we have a better option. sure he's getting the job done, it's just not at all pretty.
hi
<3 rg
hi

#30 SBriand

SBriand

Viva La Beaver!

• Members
  • 15,097 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 09:34 PM

View Postrivergirl, on Monday, August 10th, 2009, 4:12 PM, said:

he makes it way tooooo interesting for my liking. especially when he's in a non-save situation. His era is kind of high, he walks alot of batters, although his so/bb ratio is only 2/1, i think it could be better for a closer. I've always had a problem when they put him in a game, unfortunately, i don't think we have a better option. sure he's getting the job done, it's just not at all pretty.
Closers don't get graded on prettiness, they get graded on getting saves in anyway they can at he has done that. No GM or manager would ever think of pulling a guy who has blown one save all season because he doesn't look pretty. Baseball is about results and nothing else.
Steve,

It doesn't matter who you start because you have a horse shoe up your ass so far I'm not really sure how you get through the day. You must be gay.

#31 rivergirl

rivergirl

DONKEY LUCKER

• Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 03:23 AM

i'm sure that leyland gets the same sinking feeling that most fans do when rodney enters the game. The guy just makes everyone nervous. I don't know how jim's heart can take it.I'm not picking on the guy btw, i'm glad he's getting the job done. His numbers are less than stellar tho, even for a closer with the exception of his sv %.i hope that seeing how well maggs is hitting the ball now is something that will be a factor down the stretch. I'm thinking he may be out of his slump, but time will tell. I think the time off did him some good.
hi
<3 rg
hi

#32 rivergirl

rivergirl

DONKEY LUCKER

• Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 02:35 PM

finally....http://mlb.mlb.com/n...0...sp&c_id=mlbhopefully this is the bat we need.
hi
<3 rg
hi

#33 Pot Odds RAC

Pot Odds RAC

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 7,172 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:Live NL TxHE

Posted 06 September 2009 - 01:07 PM

7 game lead. 26 games to go. 6 game winning streak. Sweep in Tampa. Great to see the Tigers playing games that matter in September.This town needs a boost.

#34 Pot Odds RAC

Pot Odds RAC

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 7,172 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 07:41 PM

Another late inning win for the Tigers tonight. If they go 10/9 over their final 19 ames, then MIN an CWS have to go 17/1 to pass Detroit.It ain't a lock just yet. If Verlander, Jackson, and Porcello can hit the post season with some momentum then anyone facing the Tigers are going to have to worry.

#35 Pot Odds RAC

Pot Odds RAC

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 7,172 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 06:25 PM

**** Washburn.

#36 SBriand

SBriand

Viva La Beaver!

• Members
  • 15,097 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 07:22 AM

9Thank god we got Cleveland this week.and just for the record. I said I was not happy with the Washburn pick up. He was the last thing we needed. I mean I didn't think he was going to get injured but him losing all but one game was expected. This guy thrives when he has no pressure on him. His playoff stats are horrendous and his stats when in a race are just as bad. He is just one of those guys who doesn't like to draw attention to himself.So it should be Justin, Jackson, and Porcello for the playoffs and Robertson when needed if he can continue to maintain what he has done recently. At this point, if Wash was not injured, I don't think he gets in the playoff rotation.Some "fans" around here say they need to choke because they will get embarrassed in the playoffs and it's better to just not go. People are stupid. Not that I think they can beat the Yankees, but many thought the same thing in 06 and we all know what happened. Looking at my first post, I said 77 wins and possibly riding the cellar all year. Instead they have been in 1st since May 10th. Nothing more fun than watching meaningful games in Sept.
Steve,

#37 SBriand

SBriand

Viva La Beaver!

• Members
  • 15,097 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 09:11 PM

Steve,

#38 rivergirl

rivergirl

DONKEY LUCKER

• Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 04:19 AM

i don't know what i thought of the washburn trade, i mean, at first i thought it may have been a good trade on paper, but i didn't think we needed to add to the rotation (although, by all accounts we didn't give up too much). I really don't understand why they would've picked up somebody who they knew was injured, from what i've heard, this has been a persistant injury all year. (there is nothing wrong with a girl who listens to sportstalk radio constantly). with that in mind, it's was only a matter of time before his knee completely went.i wish they would've picked up huff b/f the TD. The fact they have him down the stretch but not for the playoffs is sad. He's definately proving to be a decent bat that can be a good p/h option.good to see nate have a decent outing last weekend. they definately need a 4th starter for now, hopefully he can continue to stay healthy and help out. I'd love to see them go to a 3 man rotation right now. I don't get the concept of MLB "babying" pitchers nowadays. 5 man rotations and limiting pitch counts is absurd, honestly. i see the reasoning behind it, but when you look at the greats of yesterday and the longevity of them, it makes me wonder why they would be trying to hold them back. Complete games are things of the past, its amazingly rare to see a pitcher go a full game, no matter how great he's throwing. With the advance in training methods, i would think pitchers would be more inclined to last longer, not have to rest as much and still be better.
hi
<3 rg
hi

#39 SBriand

SBriand

Viva La Beaver!

• Members
  • 15,097 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 05:16 PM

6Big 4 game series M-Th. Will be going Wednesday. Luckily each win will reduce the magic number by 2.
Steve,

#40 SBriand

SBriand

Viva La Beaver!

• Members
  • 15,097 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 05:58 PM

Steve,

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users