#2201 LongLiveYorke

LongLiveYorke

Ending the world one proton at a time

• Members
  • 8,355 posts
  • Interests:fizziks, teh maths, Raid-o-head, Rod Reynolds

Posted 30 November 2011 - 06:04 AM

View PostBaseJester, on Tuesday, November 29th, 2011, 7:23 PM, said:

I don't think providing for the common defence and general welfare are separate powers granted by clause 1. Those are the restrictive clauses on the reasons that Congress can tax.
Yeah, probably you're right, so maybe it's not as applicable as I thought since it's not really a tax. I'm no Constitutional scholar.

#2202 All_In

All_In

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 1,202 posts
  • Interests:Poker, Golf, Poker, Guitar, Poker, etc...

Posted 30 November 2011 - 07:18 PM

View Posthblask, on Sunday, November 27th, 2011, 5:18 PM, said:

Assume that the individual mandate stands on the assumption that "not being ill" is a public good and therefore affects commerce (this seems to be the primary arguments why it is OK).Say that mandatory gym memberships are being pushed on the basis that "not being ill" is a public good and therefore affects commerce.Can you say one is OK and the other isn't? Not from a practical standpoint, not from a "that's a law I want passed" standpoint, but from a consistent legal standpoint.
paranoid much? better cling to your religion and guns.
I don't need to be a global citizen because I'm blessed by nationality I'm member of a growing populace we enforce our popularity I feel sorry for the earth's population 'cuz so few live in the U.S.A. At least the foreigners can copy our morality they can visit but they cannot stay Only precious few can garner the prosperity it makes us walk with renewed confidence He's the farmers barren fields the force the army wields The expression in the faces of the starving millions The power of the man he's the fuel that drives the clan He's the motive and conscience of the murderer He's the preacher on t.v. the false sincerity The form letter that's written by the big computers He's the nuclear bombs and the kids with no moms

#2203 hblask

hblask

Perpetual slow learner

• Members
  • 9,860 posts
  • Interests:Just deal the cards already

Posted 30 November 2011 - 08:00 PM

View PostAll_In, on Wednesday, November 30th, 2011, 9:18 PM, said:

paranoid much? better cling to your religion and guns.
Posted Image
"Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?" -- J. Coulton

#2204 The Ocho

The Ocho

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 08:22 PM

View Posthblask, on Wednesday, November 30th, 2011, 8:00 PM, said:

Posted Image
I am stealing this. I love it!

View PostTheraflu, on 24 October 2014 - 05:05 PM, said:

Drinking alone makes being alone more awesome.

#2205 Dread Aidan

Dread Aidan

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 08:56 AM

View PostThe Ocho, on Wednesday, November 30th, 2011, 8:22 PM, said:

I am stealing this. I love it!
Wait, is it too late for me to also steal it?

#2206 All_In

All_In

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 1,202 posts
  • Interests:Poker, Golf, Poker, Guitar, Poker, etc...

Posted 01 December 2011 - 09:20 PM

View PostDread Aidan, on Thursday, December 1st, 2011, 9:56 AM, said:

Wait, is it too late for me to also steal it?
i am stealing it as well.
I don't need to be a global citizen because I'm blessed by nationality I'm member of a growing populace we enforce our popularity I feel sorry for the earth's population 'cuz so few live in the U.S.A. At least the foreigners can copy our morality they can visit but they cannot stay Only precious few can garner the prosperity it makes us walk with renewed confidence He's the farmers barren fields the force the army wields The expression in the faces of the starving millions The power of the man he's the fuel that drives the clan He's the motive and conscience of the murderer He's the preacher on t.v. the false sincerity The form letter that's written by the big computers He's the nuclear bombs and the kids with no moms

#2207 Balloon guy

Balloon guy

Respect my Raises!!!!!!

• Members
  • 23,054 posts
  • Interests:Cigars, Flying, Golf, Bible
  • Favorite Poker Game:Golf

Posted 01 December 2011 - 09:24 PM

View PostAll_In, on Thursday, December 1st, 2011, 9:20 PM, said:

i am stealing it as well.
It will save us all a lot of time if you just put it in your signature.
I use my cigar smoke as idiot repellent

“Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed: everything else is public relations.” ― George Orwell

#2208 FCP Bob

FCP Bob

Limit Holdem Dinosaur

• Root Admin
  • 20,866 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 01:55 PM

Very good Forbes article. How Employer-Sponsored Insurance Drives Up Health Costs

A new study in Health Affairs is attracting attention for its depiction of how powerful hospitals are extracting “steep payment increases” from insurers. But what the study really tells us is how much the exceptional cost of American health insurance is caused by our system’s original sin: the fact that, due to a quirk in the federal tax code, most of us don’t buy insurance for ourselves, but instead have it bought on our behalf by our employers.“In the constant attention paid to what drives health costs,” the authors begin, “only recently has scrutiny been applied to the power that some health care providers, particularly dominant hospital systems, wield to negotiate higher payment rates from insurers.” If you’re a regular reader of The Apothecary, you know from where some of that scrutiny has come. And hence, you won’t be surprised to learn that the Health Affairs study does indeed find that powerful hospital systems have the power to dictate prices to insurers.ARTICLE CONTINUED AT LINK ABOVE

Bob

info@fullcontactpoker.com

#2209 hblask

hblask

Perpetual slow learner

• Members
  • 9,860 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 11:35 AM

View PostFCP Bob, on 12 May 2012 - 01:55 PM, said:

Yep, if there is one health care reform that congress were to do that would have the biggest positive impact, it would be to eliminate the employer benefit and give it to individuals. This alone would, over the course of 5-10 years, reshape the market in ways that inspire innovation and competition. If they also included interstate competition, it would be the equivalent of deregulating the airlines and trucking in the 70s.
"Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?" -- J. Coulton

#2210 phlegm

phlegm

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 1,628 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 01:41 PM

View Posthblask, on 13 May 2012 - 11:35 AM, said:

Yep, if there is one health care reform that congress were to do that would have the biggest positive impact, it would be to eliminate the employer benefit and give it to individuals. This alone would, over the course of 5-10 years, reshape the market in ways that inspire innovation and competition. If they also included interstate competition, it would be the equivalent of deregulating the airlines and trucking in the 70s.
Not sure this is what bob had in mind.
I am not an alcoholic

I am a drunk

Alcoholics go to meetings

#2211 hblask

hblask

Perpetual slow learner

• Members
  • 9,860 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 02:24 PM

View Postphlegm, on 13 May 2012 - 01:41 PM, said:

Not sure this is what bob had in mind.
I'm not sure either, but it is the title of the article and the most important point. Ever since the first distortion started, the government has been chasing it's mistakes by doubling down on them instead of fixing them.

#2212 FCP Bob

FCP Bob

Limit Holdem Dinosaur

• Root Admin
  • 20,866 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 02:35 PM

My point in posting that link was to show how bad linking health care to employment is.Whether your healthcare system is private or a public/private hybrid linking it to employment has no advantages that I can see and some horrible negatives. It should be obvious to everybody that making people stay in a particular job so they can keep their health insurance is bad public policy but that article also showed how it increases costs which isn't something that is as obvious.
Bob

#2213 JubilantLankyLad

JubilantLankyLad

you can't see me!

• Members
  • 8,625 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:PANDA

Posted 13 May 2012 - 04:19 PM

there were no special effects, no special effects.

#2214 akoff

akoff

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 1,942 posts
  • Interests:Golf, investing, Eagles football, golf, baseball, coaching Little League and golf
  • Favorite Poker Game:PLO

Posted 15 May 2012 - 02:20 AM

as an employer i would be thrilled to not be forced into providing healthcare. if the choice remains between washington and employers providing it - we'll continue.the key is at least you are required to have a job and in theory produce something to have insurance...as opposed to just being born and living.
"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America 's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the US Government cannot pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government's reckless fiscal policies. Increasing America 's debt weakens us domestically and internationally. Leadership means that, "the buck stops here.' Instead, Washington is shifting the burden of bad choices today onto the backs of our children and grandchildren. America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better."
~ Senator Barack H. Obama

#2215 FCP Bob

FCP Bob

Limit Holdem Dinosaur

• Root Admin
  • 20,866 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:48 AM

The system is so screwed up.http://www.forbes.co...na-republicans/
Bob

#2216 brvheart

brvheart

I'm the best.

• Members
  • 23,202 posts
  • Interests:Playing in nuclear fallout.
  • Favorite Poker Game:I play 100/200 live with my best friend Jason.

Posted 28 May 2012 - 01:53 PM

View PostFCP Bob, on 28 May 2012 - 10:48 AM, said:

The system is so screwed up.http://www.forbes.co...na-republicans/
Posted ImageWhere do you find these terrible articles, Bob? Do you get like a list of lying, leftist authors from the "conservative Canadian" mother-ship or something?That headline is awesome... especially since it holds that special distinction of having nothing to do with the actual article AND the fact that it's a lie. Well done, leftist opinion submitter.
CAPITALISM: God's way of determining who is smart and who is poor. - Ron Swanson ---> Video:Ron's Pyramid of Greatness Picture: Poster Size

View PostSuitedAces21, on 20 August 2012 - 11:14 AM, said:

tilt you suck.

View PostEssay21, on 25 February 2013 - 08:32 PM, said:

titly suck a dick bitch

#2217 FCP Bob

FCP Bob

Limit Holdem Dinosaur

• Root Admin
  • 20,866 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 02:10 PM

Forbes Twitter feed.I just ignored the headline talking about Republicans since it just as easily could have been Democrats. It's the system that's broken when the lobbyists control the agenda like they do.
Bob

#2218 akoff

akoff

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 1,942 posts
  • Interests:Golf, investing, Eagles football, golf, baseball, coaching Little League and golf
  • Favorite Poker Game:PLO

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:47 AM

View Postbrvheart, on 28 May 2012 - 01:53 PM, said:

Where do you find these terrible articles, Bob?
this is exactly what i was thinking.
"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America 's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the US Government cannot pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government's reckless fiscal policies. Increasing America 's debt weakens us domestically and internationally. Leadership means that, "the buck stops here.' Instead, Washington is shifting the burden of bad choices today onto the backs of our children and grandchildren. America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better."
~ Senator Barack H. Obama

#2219 FCP Bob

FCP Bob

Limit Holdem Dinosaur

• Root Admin
  • 20,866 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 06:06 AM

The headline is bad. The article is good and if you take the time to read it I would be surprised if anybody who supports a free market disagrees with the substance of it.
Bob

#2220 AmScray

AmScray

Honk

• Members
  • 3,954 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:wrhsf235yu

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:21 AM

Can anyone refute the substance of that article?
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users