#581 85suited

85suited

Politics Forum Pundit

• Members
  • 1,686 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:Vast Right Wing Conspirator

Posted 09 November 2008 - 11:41 AM

View Posttimwakefield, on Sunday, November 9th, 2008, 1:33 PM, said:

I thought she did ok, maybe about a 3 out of 10, if 10 is absolutely awesome and 1 is incoherent rambling and cursing. I'm not saying Biden did great either, but he won by any reasonable person's estimation. My favorite part was when she agreed with Dick Cheney that the position of VP has "a lot of flexibility," when asked whether she thought the VP was also a member of the legislature. Biden countered that, "Article I of the Constitution defines the role of the vice president of the United States, that's the Executive Branch. [Cheney] works in the Executive Branch. He should understand that. Everyone should understand that."
Biden confused which part of the Constitution covers the Executive Branch (it is Article II, not Article I). More importantly, the notion that the vice president can preside over the Senate only when there is a tie vote is simply wrong. Nor is it true that the only legislative involvement the vice president has is to break tie votes. The vice president is the president of the Senate, where he interprets the rules and can only be overridden by a vote of 60 senators.it was Palin who got it right. Besides correctly stating that the vice president holds positions in both the executive and legislative branches, she also noted that:Of course, we know what a vice president does. And that's not only to preside over the Senate and [I] will take that position very seriously also. I'm thankful the Constitution would allow a bit more authority given to the vice president if that vice president so chooses to exert it in working with the Senate and making sure that we are supportive of the president's policies and making sure too that our president understands what our strengths are.http://www.foxnews.c...,433314,00.html

#582 LongLiveYorke

LongLiveYorke

Ending the world one proton at a time

• Members
  • 8,356 posts
  • Interests:fizziks, teh maths, Raid-o-head, Rod Reynolds

Posted 09 November 2008 - 11:55 AM

View Post85suited, on Sunday, November 9th, 2008, 2:41 PM, said:

Biden confused which part of the Constitution covers the Executive Branch (it is Article II, not Article I).
Constitution of the United StatesArticle 1, Section 3:The Vice President of the United States shall be President of the Senate, but shall have no Vote, unless they be equally divided.

#583 85suited

85suited

Politics Forum Pundit

• Members
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 12:09 PM

View PostLongLiveYorke, on Sunday, November 9th, 2008, 1:55 PM, said:

Constitution of the United StatesArticle 1, Section 3:The Vice President of the United States shall be President of the Senate, but shall have no Vote, unless they be equally divided.
Article 2 Covers the Executive BranchArticle Two describes the presidency (the executive branch). The article establishes the manner of election and qualifications of the President, the oath to be affirmed and the powers and duties of the office. The President must be a natural born citizen of the United States, be at least 35 years old, and a resident of the United States for at least 14 years. It also provides for the office of Vice President, and specifies that the Vice President succeeds to the presidency if the President is removed, unable to discharge the powers and duties of office, dies while in office, or resigns. The original text ("the same shall devolve") leaves it unclear whether this succession was intended to be on an acting basis (merely taking on the powers of the office) or permanent (assuming the Presidency itself). After the death of William Henry Harrison, John Tyler set the precedent that the succession was permanent, and this was followed in practice; the 25th Amendment explicitly states that the Vice President becomes President in those cases. Article Two also provides for the impeachment and removal from office of all officers of the government.from the debate:Vice President Cheney has been the most dangerous vice president we've had probably in American history. The idea he doesn't realize that Article I of the Constitution defines the role of the vice president of the United States, that's the Executive Branch. He works in the Executive Branch. He should understand that. Everyone should understand that.Joe Biden

#584 timwakefield

timwakefield

I haven't got the time time

• Members
  • 14,413 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:Boxmaha

Posted 09 November 2008 - 12:57 PM

View Post85suited, on Sunday, November 9th, 2008, 3:09 PM, said:

Article 2 Covers the Executive BranchArticle Two describes the presidency (the executive branch). The article establishes the manner of election and qualifications of the President, the oath to be affirmed and the powers and duties of the office. The President must be a natural born citizen of the United States, be at least 35 years old, and a resident of the United States for at least 14 years. It also provides for the office of Vice President, and specifies that the Vice President succeeds to the presidency if the President is removed, unable to discharge the powers and duties of office, dies while in office, or resigns. The original text ("the same shall devolve") leaves it unclear whether this succession was intended to be on an acting basis (merely taking on the powers of the office) or permanent (assuming the Presidency itself). After the death of William Henry Harrison, John Tyler set the precedent that the succession was permanent, and this was followed in practice; the 25th Amendment explicitly states that the Vice President becomes President in those cases. Article Two also provides for the impeachment and removal from office of all officers of the government.from the debate:Vice President Cheney has been the most dangerous vice president we've had probably in American history. The idea he doesn't realize that Article I of the Constitution defines the role of the vice president of the United States, that's the Executive Branch. He works in the Executive Branch. He should understand that. Everyone should understand that.Joe Biden
I don't understand what you mean. Biden's statement there is not refuted by the paragraph preceding it. Also you have yet to explain what you mean by "More importantly, the notion that the vice president can preside over the Senate only when there is a tie vote is simply wrong. Nor is it true that the only legislative involvement the vice president has is to break tie votes."
Karl: She was a bit -- what's the word that you can use, cuz I don't wanna offend anyone?
Steve: Was she a homeless person?
Karl: Yeah but sort of mental homeless.

#585 85suited

85suited

Politics Forum Pundit

• Members
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 01:06 PM

Vice President Cheney has been the most dangerous vice president we've had probably in American history. The idea he doesn't realize that Article I of the Constitution defines the role of the vice president of the United States, that's the Executive Branch. He works in the Executive Branch. He should understand that. Everyone should understand that.The Role of the executive branch is in Article 2 - Not 1This is what the Constitution says about any and all roles of the Vice President:1.The Vice President of the United States shall be President of the Senate, but shall have no Vote, unless they be equally divided. 2.The Senate shall chose their other Officers, and also a President pro tempore, in the absence of the Vice President, or when he shall exercise the Office of President of the United States.3.The executive Power shall be vested in a President of the United States of America. He shall hold his Office during the Term of four Years, and, together with the Vice-President chosen for the same Term.4."In the Electoral College" The President of the Senate shall, in the presence of the Senate and House of Representatives, open all the certificates and the votes shall then be counted.5.Then the Vice-President shall act as President, as in the case of the death or other constitutional disability of the President.6.If, at the time fixed for the beginning of the term of the President, the President elect shall have died, the Vice President elect shall become President.7.If a President shall not have been chosen before the time fixed for the beginning of his term, or if the President elect shall have failed to qualify, then the Vice President elect shall act as President until a President shall have qualified.8.Whenever the Vice President and a majority of either the principal officers of the executive departments or of such other body as Congress may by law provide, transmit to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives their written declaration that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, the Vice President shall immediately assume the powers and duties of the office as Acting President.

#586 timwakefield

timwakefield

• Members
  • 14,413 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 01:46 PM

Ok. You just proved you were wrong for insisting the VP has legislative duties or powers beyond tie-breaking.
Karl: She was a bit -- what's the word that you can use, cuz I don't wanna offend anyone?

#587 85suited

85suited

Politics Forum Pundit

• Members
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 02:22 PM

4."In the Electoral College" The President of the Senate shall, in the presence of the Senate and House of Representatives, open all the certificates and the votes shall then be counted.Legislative duties...The point was the Consitutional Scholar Joe Biden got the the answer wrong in the debate

#588 timwakefield

timwakefield

• Members
  • 14,413 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 04:10 PM

View Post85suited, on Sunday, November 9th, 2008, 5:22 PM, said:

4."In the Electoral College" The President of the Senate shall, in the presence of the Senate and House of Representatives, open all the certificates and the votes shall then be counted.Legislative duties...The point was the Consitutional Scholar Joe Biden got the the answer wrong in the debate
Cheney has been "opening" too many "certificates" I guess.

#589 NoSup4U

NoSup4U

Making Poppinfresh look like a nit

• Members
  • 10,674 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:Shorthanded NLHE

Posted 09 November 2008 - 07:44 PM

Just jumping back in since last time I checked this thread someone had posted the hilarious link about how the market tanked after Obama was elected but made no mention of the correlation, and we had some discussion of media bias. I thought I'd throw some more fuel on the fire. So during election night every channel was blathering about how this was an inspiring election and how the american people had so much courage to elect Obama and how the whole world would be inspired by this etc etc. (Like it was unequivically the 'right and good' thing to do to elect him and if McCain had won it would have been a failure for the good people of america to not vote for him etc etc.)So today on CNN.com on the front page I see an ad FROM CNN for a shirt that says: Obama inspires historic victory. You saw it here on CNN!LOL yeah, not biased at all :)Mark

#590 Nimue1995

Nimue1995

Mrs Obvious

• Members
  • 2,508 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:Hold 'em

Posted 09 November 2008 - 08:00 PM

Lol newspeople are notoriously biased in favor of anything that brings higher ratings.
What do you like to do for fun?

Play poker
think up political posts to make in Daniel's Blog to drive LMD crazy,lol.

#591 brvheart

brvheart

I'm the best.

• Members
  • 25,322 posts
  • Interests:Playing in nuclear fallout.
  • Favorite Poker Game:I play 100/200 live with my best friend Jason.

Posted 09 November 2008 - 08:31 PM

View PostNimue1995, on Sunday, November 9th, 2008, 10:00 PM, said:

Lol newspeople are notoriously biased in favor of anything that brings higher ratings.
You're blind.

View PostiZuma, on 20 August 2012 - 11:32 AM, said:

napa I was jesus christing suited, you guys just slipped in before me.

View PostEssay21, on 25 February 2013 - 08:32 PM, said:

#592 El Guapo

El Guapo

Like A Boss!

• Members
  • 16,439 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 11:42 PM

This is interesting:http://news.yahoo.co...ews/ynews_pl147

#593 BigDMcGee

BigDMcGee

Forum Entitlist

• Members
  • 26,671 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 11:45 PM

View PostEl Guapo, on Sunday, November 9th, 2008, 11:42 PM, said:

Red dot or feather?
"We are only wise in knowing that we know nothing"
-Socrates

"Dust. Wind. Dude."
-Ted Theodore Logan

"I'm a basketball player and a businessman, not a Thundercat,"
-Lebron James

#594 85suited

85suited

Politics Forum Pundit

• Members
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 05:31 AM

dot

#595 Nimue1995

Nimue1995

Mrs Obvious

• Members
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 06:37 AM

Sadly, I believe that the Republican Party will still be looking more for the social conservative than the fiscal one. And as long as fiscal conservatism is on the back burner, they will have a hard time drawing back those who went Obama or 3rd party this year. Regardless of what you may think it's still "the economy stupid".

Play poker

#596 Balloon guy

Balloon guy

Deplorable Lives Matter

• Members
  • 24,409 posts
  • Interests:Cigars, Flying, Golf, Bible
  • Favorite Poker Game:Golf

Posted 10 November 2008 - 07:57 AM

View PostNimue1995, on Monday, November 10th, 2008, 6:37 AM, said:

Sadly, I believe that the Republican Party will still be looking more for the social conservative than the fiscal one. And as long as fiscal conservatism is on the back burner, they will have a hard time drawing back those who went Obama or 3rd party this year. Regardless of what you may think it's still "the economy stupid".
I know more fiscal conservatives that aren't social conservatives than social conservatives that aren't fiscal conservatives.
I use my cigar smoke as idiot repellent

Most bad government has come out of too much government. Thomas Jefferson

#597 strategy

strategy

Internet expert

• Members
  • 15,932 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:strategy

Posted 10 November 2008 - 08:19 AM

View PostBalloon guy, on Monday, November 10th, 2008, 10:57 AM, said:

I know more fiscal conservatives that aren't social conservatives than social conservatives that aren't fiscal conservatives.
I know a lot of gay people.
QUOTE (ShakeZuma @ Wednesday, November 2nd, 2011, 4:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
seriously though, with that grammar it's really like, I mean it doesn't bother me as much that she gets beat, you know?

#598 Nimue1995

Nimue1995

Mrs Obvious

• Members
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 09:07 AM

View PostBalloon guy, on Monday, November 10th, 2008, 8:57 AM, said:

But when push comes to shove the fiscally conservative policies will get jettisoned long before the social ones do.

Play poker

#599 copernicus

copernicus

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 10,676 posts
  • Interests:Hockey; poker...duh

Posted 10 November 2008 - 12:07 PM

View PostNoSup4U, on Sunday, November 9th, 2008, 7:44 PM, said:

Just jumping back in since last time I checked this thread someone had posted the hilarious link about how the market tanked after Obama was elected but made no mention of the correlation, and we had some discussion of media bias. I thought I'd throw some more fuel on the fire. So during election night every channel was blathering about how this was an inspiring election and how the american people had so much courage to elect Obama and how the whole world would be inspired by this etc etc. (Like it was unequivically the 'right and good' thing to do to elect him and if McCain had won it would have been a failure for the good people of america to not vote for him etc etc.)So today on CNN.com on the front page I see an ad FROM CNN for a shirt that says: Obama inspires historic victory. You saw it here on CNN!LOL yeah, not biased at all :club: Mark
The Washington Post "fairness" editor, or whatever her title is, said "Oh, duh, my analysis shows we were biased in favor of Obama. No shit Sherlock.

Wave upon wave of Demented Avengers march cheerfully out of obscurity into the dream.

#600 copernicus

copernicus

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 10,676 posts
  • Interests:Hockey; poker...duh

Posted 10 November 2008 - 12:08 PM

View PostEl Guapo, on Sunday, November 9th, 2008, 11:42 PM, said:

Jindal is good, and in 4 years will be far more experienced than Obama is now, but I still think its too soon for him.

Wave upon wave of Demented Avengers march cheerfully out of obscurity into the dream.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users