El Guapo & Randy Reed's Cooking Thread

• Please log in to reply
1151 replies to this topic

#21 LadyGrey

LadyGrey

I've never even seen this part of Pussytown before!

• Members
  • 5,912 posts
  • Interests:Napping.

Posted 04 October 2008 - 02:04 PM

View Postspeedz99, on Saturday, October 4th, 2008, 4:55 PM, said:

This phrase should be saved for recipes that involve not much more than throwing something in an oven, not ones that require constant additions with stirring in order to be the correct consistency (re: not disgusting). It does sound good though. And no, I don't mind being the annoying guy that finds some trifling fault with everyone else's recipes. I think it's rude of you to even ask.Heh.
I am sorry for misleading you, what I meant was that I think you can cook with while you have company. You don't really have to worry about timings because it's all in one pan, so you can have a conversation while keeping an eye on it and occasionally adding in some more stock. I find that I get very flustered and stressed if I try to make something challenging when my friends are around, but a risotto is so easy that I don't feel pressured.Don't worry though, I ain't mad at cha.Posted Image
We are all so complicated, and then we die. We are a subject one day, with our vanities, our loves, our worries, and then one day, abruptly, we become nothing but an object, an absolutely disgusting pile of shit. We pass very quickly from one stage to the next. It's very bizarre. It will happen to all of us, and fairly soon too. We become an object you can handle like a stone, but a stone that was someone.
— Christian Boltanski

Religion. It's given people hope in a world torn apart by religion.
— Jon Stewart

#22 speedz99

speedz99

It don't matter to Jesus.

• Members
  • 28,085 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 02:05 PM

Ah, that makes sense. I do get confused quite easily.
You got a date Wednesday, baby!

#23 hank213

hank213

inventor of the tactical turtleneck..the tactilneck

• Members
  • 9,498 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 02:57 PM

Steak Sandwich. It's quick and you can even use a fairly cheap cut of meat and it still works. Don't go out and buy a filet and do this or I will shun you.I usually a piece of round steak and just put a little tenderizer on it, if you don't want to use tenderizer just give it some extra mallet time.I've found that these little take and bake ciabatta loaves work great but not integral to the process, use your favorite.Cut the steak to about 4 in. x 4 in. and mallet with a tenderizer until nice and thin and about 6 in x 6 in.Season with salt, pepper, garlic, rosemary and some tenderizer and let it sit.Brown the inside of the bread in the skillet so it doesn't turn into dough from the juices.Add some olive oil to the skillet (a couple tblspoons worth or just enough to cover the bottom when it gets hot) over med high heat until it shimmers and you see the first hint of smoke. Cook the steak in the oil for a couple minutes (depending on thickness) each side lowering the heat to med-ish after you flip it. While it's cooking chop some lettuce (iceberg, romaine, spinach even works) When meat is browned to your liking place on bottom slice and drizzle some of the olive oil from the skillet either over the steak itself or the top of the bread. Top with lettuce and Mangez!If you want to add onions and/or canned mushroom slices just throw them in the skillet right after the steak. The key is putting the steak in a hot enough pan to seal in the juices.
Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen.

#24 Randy Reed

Randy Reed

Words up!

• Members
  • 7,916 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 02:58 PM

View PostLadyGrey, on Saturday, October 4th, 2008, 12:48 PM, said:

I like to cook, so here is one of my recipes which you may want to try. It's good for if you are having a girl over, as it is easy, doesn't need much attention, and I find girls dig risotto.Lady Grey's Lemon and Black Pepper Risotto with Asparagus and Flaked Almonds
I'll admit i've never made risotto for some dad burn reason though I always get it out when I can. I am definately trying this since I love to leave the smell of my pee after eating aspargus lingering around. Who knew girls loved it? Shazam!I like EG's crepe idea as well. When I was doing Body for LIfe a few years back I would also omit alot of the yolks and didn't really notice much difference.I am from Kentucky near Cincinnati so I have a mixture of Country cooking, some German influence and a hearty appetite influence. I can also do some healthy stuff.As far as hank saying that he can't explain recipes I sympathize and if anyone wants to be exact that's fine but I plan to be a little more carefree with it since all cooks do it by feel and if anyone has a question I'll be happy to answer.Speaking of questions. EG, the pans you speak of, are you talking pie pans? For the crepes or small skillets?
Waiting for the winds of change
To sweep the clouds away
Waiting for the rainbow's end
To cast its gold your way
Countless ways
You pass the days

#25 Randy Reed

Randy Reed

Words up!

• Members
  • 7,916 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 03:07 PM

View Posthank213, on Saturday, October 4th, 2008, 2:57 PM, said:

Steak Sandwich. It's quick and you can even use a fairly cheap cut of meat and it still works. Don't go out and buy a filet and do this or I will shun you.I usually a piece of round steak and just put a little tenderizer on it, if you don't want to use tenderizer just give it some extra mallet time.I've found that these little take and bake ciabatta loaves work great but not integral to the process, use your favorite.Cut the steak to about 4 in. x 4 in. and mallet with a tenderizer until nice and thin and about 6 in x 6 in.Season with salt, pepper, garlic, rosemary and some tenderizer and let it sit.Brown the inside of the bread in the skillet so it doesn't turn into dough from the juices.Add some olive oil to the skillet (a couple tblspoons worth or just enough to cover the bottom when it gets hot) over med high heat until it shimmers and you see the first hint of smoke. Cook the steak in the oil for a couple minutes (depending on thickness) each side lowering the heat to med-ish after you flip it. While it's cooking chop some lettuce (iceberg, romaine, spinach even works) When meat is browned to your liking place on bottom slice and drizzle some of the olive oil from the skillet either over the steak itself or the top of the bread. Top with lettuce and Mangez!If you want to add onions and/or canned mushroom slices just throw them in the skillet right after the steak. The key is putting the steak in a hot enough pan to seal in the juices.
I'm not questioning this since I haven't tried it but I would think that something like skirt steak would work better than round steak. Well top round might be okay but I don't think bottom round would. Steak is called different things depending on where you buy it. Top sirloin seems like a good choice as well.One thing I do with Round steak is flatten it as you describe, season with salt and pepper, flour and fry as you descibe. Then I add some beef broth to the pan, lower the heat and cover and simmer for about an hour. It will come out real tender (braising technique) and have awesome gravy. Nike the convenient mashed potatos and have fun gaining weight!I also love to add pepper to things. On this you could sprinkle a little cayenne before cooking on the meat for an after burn or some crushed red pepper for an immediate kick. Not much of either but it works.My grandma actually called this country fried steak which is nothing like you'd get out if you ordered it but is the real deal and inexpensive.
To sweep the clouds away
Countless ways
You pass the days

#26 chrozzo

chrozzo

hi™

• Members
  • 23,051 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 09:37 PM

what's your favorite Guinness recipe?
FCP CBO: Chief Beer Officer

I'm kind of a big deal.

#27 hank213

hank213

• Members
  • 9,498 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 09:47 PM

View Postchrozzo, on Saturday, October 4th, 2008, 11:37 PM, said:

what's your favorite Guinness recipe?
Pour.Drink.Repeat.
Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen.

#28 chrozzo

chrozzo

hi™

• Members
  • 23,051 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 09:49 PM

View Posthank213, on Sunday, October 5th, 2008, 1:47 AM, said:

Pour.Drink.Repeat.
obv....but other than that
FCP CBO: Chief Beer Officer

I'm kind of a big deal.

#29 qyayqi

qyayqi

ketchup is murder.

• Members
  • 5,676 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 09:50 PM

View PostEl Guapo, on Saturday, October 4th, 2008, 1:50 PM, said:

Randy and I will be posting recipes
if either of you proceed to post recipes from some international recipe database, i'll cut you.
qyayqi
railing 101 video

crush their dreams like aluminum cans.
then take them in for recycling.
5 cents a dream, man.

#30 hank213

hank213

• Members
  • 9,498 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 09:52 PM

View PostRandy Reed, on Saturday, October 4th, 2008, 5:07 PM, said:

I'm not questioning this since I haven't tried it but I would think that something like skirt steak would work better than round steak. Well top round might be okay but I don't think bottom round would. Steak is called different things depending on where you buy it. Top sirloin seems like a good choice as well.One thing I do with Round steak is flatten it as you describe, season with salt and pepper, flour and fry as you descibe. Then I add some beef broth to the pan, lower the heat and cover and simmer for about an hour. It will come out real tender (braising technique) and have awesome gravy. Nike the convenient mashed potatos and have fun gaining weight!I also love to add pepper to things. On this you could sprinkle a little cayenne before cooking on the meat for an after burn or some crushed red pepper for an immediate kick. Not much of either but it works.My grandma actually called this country fried steak which is nothing like you'd get out if you ordered it but is the real deal and inexpensive.
Well, I don't typically like to go with cuts that are too tough. A cut as tough as a skirt would require more prep time/work. You'd really have to pound the hell out of it to tenderize it enough that it's easily edible in sandwich form. I typically use top round steak or a sirloin.

#31 El Guapo

El Guapo

Like A Boss!

• Members
  • 16,439 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 09:59 PM

View Postspeedz99, on Saturday, October 4th, 2008, 2:55 PM, said:

A. No, I meant is it wrong that I base a lot of my cooking ideas on what Alton Brown tells me.B. It doesn't taste better, but it's nice that you've trained yourself to think that. I may try it.
A. No nothing wrong with that. In fact a lot of the technical nuances of cooking since I am self taught came from his old show. He was very good at teaching things you would learn in you first few months of culinary school.B. You are correct, but I now like the way it taste better. If I go to a restaurant and order scrambled eggs they taste too rich to me.

View PostRandy Reed, on Saturday, October 4th, 2008, 3:58 PM, said:

Speaking of questions. EG, the pans you speak of, are you talking pie pans? For the crepes or small skillets?
Non stick skillets, or fry pans however you refer to them. I have a 10" and an 8" going at the same time.

View PostRandy Reed, on Saturday, October 4th, 2008, 4:07 PM, said:

I'm not questioning this since I haven't tried it but I would think that something like skirt steak would work better than round steak. Well top round might be okay but I don't think bottom round would. Steak is called different things depending on where you buy it. Top sirloin seems like a good choice as well.
I agree, I liked the idea, but I would probably use skirt or flank. If I wanted to spend some more $$$ and make a kick ass steak sandwich, I would use rib eye, for the marbling.I may try that risotto LG, the one thing I don't like about making risotto is the constant stirring and attention. For a simple dish, it takes finesse, that is why Gordon Ramsey uses it to test out whether or not chefs can cook.(As an aside. One of the primary tests chefs use, to see whether or not another chef can cook, is an omelette. It is a simple meal, but takes a certain touch.)

#32 Randy Reed

Randy Reed

Words up!

• Members
  • 7,916 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 03:49 AM

Ever wake up with the feeling you forgot something? I did this by memory yesterday at work and yep, da mushrooms!Ah fck it. I might as well post my Beef Stew recipe since it might seriously be the greatest thing you have ever eaten in the world.2 1/2 lb of chuck roast cut into 1 inch cubes and then floured. I like to rub a little kitchen bouqet and salt and pepper the beef before flouring.Get a heavy pot or preferably a dutch oven and mix olive oil and some butter heat to med high and brown the beef in batches on all sides and remove.Saute a large onion and some diced carrots in the skillet adding more butter if needed and then remove.Add a half bottle of burgundy wine (Cab Sav or Merlot are okay, use dry wine) but I do prefer the burg. Heat the wine until hot, and then add a box of beef broth (or about 3 cans) to the wine, and add the meat and veggies as well.I add a container of thick sliced mushrooms here but you could use a couple cans or jars of the whole small button mushrooms as well.Now take an orange and peel 3 strips removing as much of the pith (white part) as possible and add to the stew.Add a small pinch of ground cloves and a teaspoon of sugar to offset the acidity of the wine.Add 2 bay leaves and 6 sprigs of fresh thyme and 6 smashed garlic gloves.Add some more salt and pepper. If you don't have a pepper mill get one, fresh pepper rocks. I actually have an electric one.If you have cheesecloth you can bundle all this or with kitchen string tie it up to remove easily later but it's not necessary.Cover and cook for about 2 1/2 hours and then uncover and cook until a little thickened about 1/2 hour to hour more. After 2 hours quarter up some red potatos and add to the stew.I like to take a half bag of frozen peas and add them about 15 minutes before serving.Bake some warm bread to go with. Some seriously good stuff here.
To sweep the clouds away
Countless ways
You pass the days

#33 qyayqi

qyayqi

ketchup is murder.

• Members
  • 5,676 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 04:21 AM

what exactly do bay leaves bring to a meal? i've always wondered.
qyayqi
railing 101 video

crush their dreams like aluminum cans.
then take them in for recycling.
5 cents a dream, man.

#34 Painter567

Painter567

• Members
  • 17,885 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 04:52 AM

View Postqyayqi, on Sunday, October 5th, 2008, 8:21 AM, said:

Well, one thing at my house growing up (and even now) is this....Whoever foind the bayleaf(s) in their gumbo, was responsible for the kitchen cleanup that night. Always added a something fun to that dinner with the brothers/sisters.As far as I know, it just adds a hint of flavor.
Hi

#35 Quacktastic

Quacktastic

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 04:57 AM

I thought the bay leaf added a little flavor, but was not supposed to be eaten. I have a spice rack that has crushed bay leaves. I assume it doesn't hurt to eat them?Also, I bought a sirloin tip roast and need a recipe...Or just a quick easy recipe with some boneless chicken boobies
QUOTE (Dawson Leery @ Saturday, November 21st, 2009, 6:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There aren't any family restaurants in POUNDTOWN.

#36 thehidden

thehidden

BANG

• Members
  • 2,539 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:PLO, Limit Holdem, HORSE

Posted 05 October 2008 - 07:44 AM

View Postspeedz99, on Saturday, October 4th, 2008, 2:55 PM, said:

This phrase should be saved for recipes that involve not much more than throwing something in an oven, not ones that require constant additions with stirring in order to be the correct consistency (re: not disgusting). .
I believe for the first time ever I fully agree with Speedz! Risotto is not something that requires no attention, unless ofcourse it's coming from a bag...in which case I don't think it belongs in this thread!
"Are you trying to tell me Jesus Christ can't hit a curve ball"

#37 thehidden

thehidden

BANG

• Members
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 07:46 AM

View Postqyayqi, on Sunday, October 5th, 2008, 5:21 AM, said:

bay leaf does add a little flavour and something too it. But the reason its mainly used in a tomatoe sauce, stew, anything acidic, is that it helps to cut the acid down.

#38 LadyGrey

LadyGrey

I've never even seen this part of Pussytown before!

• Members
  • 5,912 posts
  • Interests:Napping.

Posted 05 October 2008 - 07:46 AM

View Postthehidden, on Sunday, October 5th, 2008, 10:44 AM, said:

I believe for the first time ever I fully agree with Speedz! Risotto is not something that requires no attention, unless ofcourse it's coming from a bag...in which case I don't think it belongs in this thread!
I didn't say "no attention", I said little. If you think pouring in stock and stirring it is every 5 minutes is challenging, then you are a moron.
We are all so complicated, and then we die. We are a subject one day, with our vanities, our loves, our worries, and then one day, abruptly, we become nothing but an object, an absolutely disgusting pile of shit. We pass very quickly from one stage to the next. It's very bizarre. It will happen to all of us, and fairly soon too. We become an object you can handle like a stone, but a stone that was someone.
— Christian Boltanski

Religion. It's given people hope in a world torn apart by religion.
— Jon Stewart

#39 thehidden

thehidden

BANG

• Members
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 07:58 AM

If i can figure out pictures I will add photosValentines Day Meal - 2008This is the meal I made my gf and I for valentines:Starter was Shrimp CocktailI grate my own horseradish, combine that with some wasabi if spice is fine, also some salt and pepper, then add in ketchup to taste.second courseGrilled Baguette with Goat cheese, warm prosciutto, cappicolla and mixed greens w/rosemary mayoFirst bake the bread with the cheese and meatsMix about 1 tsp of dried/crushed rosemary into three table spoons of mayo with S+P to taste add in 1 tsp of grain mustard or dijon and spread ontop of warm breadpile on mixed greensMain Course - Duck Breast with mushroom and kumquat risotto 1 - medium duckbreast per serving - score fat in diamond shape and press between wax paper and refridgerate for half hour - preheat oven to 4252. Warm up chicken stock on the stove and begin to toast of arborio rice - once rice is toasted add in 1 tbsp of butter and one ladle of chicken stock and stir until incorporated after second ladle add halfed Kumquats, and diced mushrooms use as many different mushrooms as you desire repeat the stock until you get a creamy risotto, add in salt and pepperadditions to the risotto to tasteLight truffle oil to add to the earthiness of this dish3. After you have added the Kumquat to the risotto, preheat a pan to medium high (preferably aluminum, NOT NON STICK!!!) - while pan is heating salt and pepper the chilled duck breast on the fat side once pan is heated add 1 tbsp olive oil per duck breast going in the pan....no more than two duck breast per pan - sear until crust begins to form and then turn duck breast over and deglaze with white wine...cover and put in the oven for 7 minutes (longer if you are not a fan of med rare duck) - while oven is going have a pan heated on med high with olive oil and add blanched green beans - salt and pepper green beans and toss to coat - add in 1/4 tsp of cayanne pepper, 1/4 tsp ground almonds, and 1 tbsp of butter as soon as all has incorporated remove from heat and let stand... - Beans should take about 5 minutes so set up a cutting board with aluminum and then remove duck from oven - rest duck on aluminum and tent for 3 minutesPlatingPlate risotto on bottomSlice duck breast and shingle on the risottostack green beans off set on the plateDrizzle plate with duck pan drippings (SAVE THE REST!!!!)

#40 SuitedAces21

SuitedAces21

once and future king

• Members
  • 24,809 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 08:56 AM

Should I buy this? I have seen the infomerical like 10 times and I am seriously considering buying this thing.Posted Image
Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users