Hey there all,I'm still a new player, playing relatively safe on blinds of $0.25 . Though I notice something on poker shows but more importantly in my own experience. Pocket Aces (or kings for that matter) are often either overrated, or I am judging completely wrong.I don't have any statistics for you, but often do I see that of course preflop Pocket aces dominate the table. But often after the flop cards come along where pocket Aces are just not any good: Sets come up, two pair, straights, flushes.So do I have the right conclusion, that going all-in on pocket aces, is not really the best way to go?Of course I have thought of my own answer, which is the most obvious one perhaps that it matters on the read you have on your opponents. But still, I would like to hear you guys about this. Seeing as you probably got tons of more experience and knowledge then me.Thanks!

They're a trap hand, the dark truth is you rarely win a big pot with aces, you'll win a few small ones, but the best hand are hands like 67s because they can make a flush AND a straight. Aces rarely win big pots, Doyle Brunson even said so.

You're probably just running bad or remembering the times you lose more than the times you win. No one in the history of poker loses money with aces.

I don't know the exact percentage but when you do have AA or KK and you don't hit your set how do you proceed to play the hand. Flopping a set is slim so some examples would help

They're a trap hand, the dark truth is you rarely win a big pot with aces, you'll win a few small ones, but the best hand are hands like 67s because they can make a flush AND a straight. Aces rarely win big pots, Doyle Brunson even said so.lol

Thanks for the quick responces. Well the times i've seen Pocket aces played _and_ going all-in, were usually played by my opponents. And then lose to either me, or other people by 'getting lucky' somewhere after the flop. It just happens so often in my experience (seeing as Pocket Aces are quickly seen as a 'sure thing' that I just had to get some info from you guys :club:) that I decided to pose this question to you guys.I myself hardly get any big pots with Pocket Aces, usually only very small pots with no showdown. Unless of course i'd slowplay, but like I implied with my opening post, I find that a bit risky seeing the chance someone else hits bigger then me isn't that small. I always have played my pocket Aces with my openings post in mind. Only once did I hit a big pot on pocket aces because I read my opponent correctly as weaker pocket pair.Unfortunately, only just now do I notice Fulltilt poker didn't save any of my Hand histories. Didn't know it was off on default, so I can not give you concrete examples.

The glass is half full. Remember that. Too many people get overly pessimistic that they've been out-flopped with AA/KK, simply because it's happened a few times in the past.

I generally tend to fold aces PF for the reasons Sheiky posted above.1.) They generally won't win me a big pot, so whats the point of playing them2.) I think it's pretty donkish to play AA and KK, seriously playing the suited connectors/small PP's and outplaying my opponents is where the real skill lies.People overvaluate AA imo..But you really have to adapt your own style, this is me speaking here, some people love to play AA, KK, hands like that. I think it's kinda spewy but whatever works for you.

I generally tend to fold aces PF for the reasons Sheiky posted above.1.) They generally won't win me a big pot, so whats the point of playing them2.) I think it's pretty donkish to play AA and KK, seriously playing the suited connectors/small PP's and outplaying my opponents is where the real skill lies.People overvaluate AA imo..But you really have to adapt your own style, this is me speaking here, some people love to play AA, KK, hands like that. I think it's kinda spewy but whatever works for you.
:club:

AA is the hand I have one most with in the 36,000 hands of cash games I've played. I have won $313 with AA and the second biggest winner is AKo w/ $187. Is this similar for everyone else?FWIW in these 36k hands I've made almost exactly $1,000, so almost 1/3 of my winnings comes from AA. LOL that seems weird.Edit: actually second biggest winner is JJ w/ $217. Wow this is fascinating...

AA is the hand I have one most with in the 36,000 hands of cash games I've played. I have won $313 with AA and the second biggest winner is AKo w/ $187. Is this similar for everyone else?FWIW in these 36k hands I've made almost exactly $1,000, so almost 1/3 of my winnings comes from AA. LOL that seems weird.Edit: actually second biggest winner is JJ w/ $217. Wow this is fascinating...
Wow.. does keeping track of all this really help? I mean every hand can potentially beat an opponent if the read and community cards are right enough :club:, why bother keeping track of this all? Or is this really a dumb/beginners question?
It's fun to see what hands you've been winning and losing with, but untill you have a ridiculous amount of hands logged it's really hard to draw any significant conclusions about yout play with certain hands(on my previous DB I was down a buy in over 45 instances of KK). And yeh AA is always going to be miles ahead of any other hand over any decent sample size. One thing that helps me to analyse stuff like this is to go into hold em manager and set the filter to 'position: BB, VPIP: true, Button raise: true' or something simmilar and analyse specific areas of your play.
Wow.. does keeping track of all this really help? I mean every hand can potentially beat an opponent if the read and community cards are right enough :club:, why bother keeping track of this all? Or is this really a dumb/beginners question?
Heh, nothing's too dumb to ask on the internet. We don't 'keep track' of them per se, we use tracking programs that do it automaticaly for us.
My top 6AA $4,918.85KK $2,704.60QQ $2,227.05JJ $1,179.9055 $1,043.85TT $956.65total winnings over 149,936 hands 7,237.001/3 of ur winnings do not come from AA you have to factor in the hands you lose
You really think that a hand like 52o will win as much money as AA over the long run? Are you serious?
You really think that a hand like 52o will win as much money as AA over the long run? Are you serious?
I said I am new, not oblivious. I said 'can win potentially', I did not say 'constantly'. Meaning: ´Situation-dependent´. I made no implication on profits over time with raggier hands, I just meant you could win a hand with any hand: if the situation is right. so no :club:, didn't mean to say that.
1/3 of ur winnings do not come from AA you have to factor in the hands you lose
Hmmm I didn't think of that. I knew it didn't seem right.Anyway, even though it's not valid: I'm showing a profit with every pocket pair except 77, and have made $45 from K3s.TBH these 36k hands are my entire 6 max career, and my style seems to change very regularly. It's really good to look at all you've achieved in any case. I defo should play around with the filters more though, and try and draw some decent conclusions.

I think part of your perception about aces, is you are not keeping track of the little wins they give you. And you notice your opponents when they showdown aces (and sometimes lose a big pot). What you aren't seeing are all the little pots your oppponents (and yourself) win with them. Where they steal the blinds or where the Aces get a caller preflop and then get called on the flop, only to fold on the turn - so the aces win a small/medium size pot but you never see they were aces. Etc...

I'm not going to pour through this thread. I'm going to say trapping and playing AA postflop is going to be hard work. I'm going to say that playing only premium hands is going to be unprofitable over time. I'm going to say that we need to actually play the game and not wait to see if people routinely pay off our big hands.

Actually, I tend to understand OP's post. Texas Dolly once said that with Aces or Kings, you either win small pot or lose a big one.That's why I like playing suited connectors. Remember, Holdem is a game of outs. With suited connectors, you hope to either make a flush or straight, also the occasional trips or fullhouse, or even a lone pair that beats an unimproved AK. With a flush draw, you have 9 outs. With a straight draw, you have 8 outs. And since occasionally, you can also win with a single pair or trips/fullhouse, you have another 6 outs. That makes a total of 23 outs with a suited connector.Aces on the other hand only have 2 outs since you can only improve to a set. That's why I make more money with suited connectors. Recognize the power of outs.

Actually, I tend to understand OP's post. Texas Dolly once said that with Aces or Kings, you either win small pot or lose a big one.That's why I like playing suited connectors. Remember, Holdem is a game of outs. With suited connectors, you hope to either make a flush or straight, also the occasional trips or fullhouse, or even a lone pair that beats an unimproved AK. With a flush draw, you have 9 outs. With a straight draw, you have 8 outs. And since occasionally, you can also win with a single pair or trips/fullhouse, you have another 6 outs. That makes a total of 23 outs with a suited connector.Aces on the other hand only have 2 outs since you can only improve to a set. That's why I make more money with suited connectors. Recognize the power of outs.
Thanks for sharing, I think these things will definately continue to improve my game.. A game of outs, so true. :club:
Looooooool, nice one.I'm assuming you're joking, right?