82 replies to this topic

#81 Snamuh

Snamuh

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 5,094 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 05:59 PM

View PostBaseJester, on Wednesday, September 3rd, 2008, 8:57 PM, said:

Does it piss off a low-stakes player more to bluff him on a dry board, a drawish board, or preflop? I suspect it's similar. Any any case, he should give more action in the preflop example if he perceives that your range is wide.3-betting preflop and pushing with draws create the illusion of a wide range in a way that costs relatively little to the unnattentive. But "balancing" a range of sets mathematically requires very few bluffs on a dry board, because we have his top pair so crushed when we have the sets. That is, the bluffing frequency should go down even in an optimal strategy.I believe (and I think you do, too) that low-stakes players tend to overplay their hands naturally, so our strategy to exploit this should include more value-betting and less bluffing. The only thing I think we differ on is that I don't really think we can separate ranges from metagame. I guess we can call him our bitch during the hand, which clearly affects the metagame but not the ranges. But we can't really adjust the ranges without affecting the metagame.
I don't entirely know what you mean by this. But if you mean that we can't metagame someone into adjusting their ranges, you are definitely wrong here. We are able to induce people into making mistakes by putting them on tilt or by thinking one level above them and doing what they don't expect/want us to do.
Snamuh raises to $76.75, and is all in
BigKamp: yyou lose
BigKamp has 15 seconds left to act
BigKamp calls $24.50, and is all in
Seat 1: BigKamp (small blind) mucked [Ad Ac] - a full house, Aces full of Kings
Seat 2: Snamuh (big blind) showed [Kd Kh] and won ($102.50) with four of a kind, Kings
Snamuh: you lose

#82 BaseJester

BaseJester

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 2,109 posts
  • Interests:Juggling. Ventriloquism. Story-telling.
  • Favorite Poker Game:The quintain

Posted 03 September 2008 - 06:24 PM

View PostSnamuh, on Wednesday, September 3rd, 2008, 9:59 PM, said:

I don't entirely know what you mean by this. But if you mean that we can't metagame someone into adjusting their ranges, you are definitely wrong here.
No, that's not what I mean. I mean this:Posted Image
If everybody is thinking the same thing, then somebody isn't thinking.
- General George Patton

#83 BaseJester

BaseJester

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 2,109 posts
  • Interests:Juggling. Ventriloquism. Story-telling.
  • Favorite Poker Game:The quintain

Posted 04 September 2008 - 05:38 PM

View PostBaseJester, on Wednesday, September 3rd, 2008, 8:57 PM, said:

3-betting preflop and pushing with draws create the illusion of a wide range in a way that costs relatively little to the unnattentive. But "balancing" a range of sets mathematically requires very few bluffs on a dry board, because we have his top pair so crushed when we have the sets. That is, the bluffing frequency should go down even in an optimal strategy.
I'm pretty sure this is backwards now. We need a lot of bluffs to balance a strong range.
If everybody is thinking the same thing, then somebody isn't thinking.
- General George Patton

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users