1162 replies to this topic

#61 mrdannyg

mrdannyg

Cheese Salesman

• Members
  • 20,266 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 08:12 AM

View PostZach's wife, on Thursday, November 19th, 2009, 1:33 AM, said:

I never thought I'd be the slightest bit interested in what zach is doing with these damn childish cards, but this is a pretty sweet conversation going on right here.

Long signatures are really annoying.

#62 pezeveng

pezeveng

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 5,377 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 09:34 AM

You're always better of buying sealed boxes rather than individual packs. Upper Deck use to be foolish enough to pack all the boxes in the same sequence, I remember the Lindros rookie year top right corner 6 packs down lindros rookie card.

#63 Babying

Babying

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 10,459 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 12:21 PM

View Postpezeveng, on Thursday, November 19th, 2009, 1:34 PM, said:

You're always better of buying sealed boxes rather than individual packs. Upper Deck use to be foolish enough to pack all the boxes in the same sequence, I remember the Lindros rookie year top right corner 6 packs down lindros rookie card.
Ya I remember those days. I could have told you ever card in each pack from the box by opening 1 pack of cards.On a side note, I remember when OPC came out in 1990. Federov's rookie card was always on the back of the pack. I drove around my neighbourhood and got all of the Federovs at 50 cents each (got 100). I went to a cardshow in Detroit and sold them all for $4 each to 1 person.Card collecting has definitely changed now.

#64 Dubey

Dubey

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 10,915 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 12:30 PM

really random question:What is the least valuable hockey card set of all time, sold in wide distribution?

#65 MapleLeafpoker

MapleLeafpoker

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 17,884 posts
  • Interests:Poker, Hockey, Hockey pools

Posted 20 November 2009 - 12:35 PM

View PostDubey, on Friday, November 20th, 2009, 3:30 PM, said:

really random question:What is the least valuable hockey card set of all time, sold in wide distribution?
I have very little clue about this stuff, but I believe it may be the 89-90 Score sets. I used to buy cards for fun as a kid, and for throwing around in games to try and win others' cards. (Im sure I threw Gretzky's rookie cards at walls trying to knock down other cards)Then, I got into the money angle a bit later on, and I recall in 89-90 Score having a set that was very popular/easy to find at a time when collecting was pretty popular, but then everyone realized there were sooo many made, they were worthless. I liked having the cards, but was never interested in the buying or selling angle as a collectible.Thats my best guess.

#66 Babying

Babying

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 10,459 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 01:03 PM

Arp,You are good. It is actually anything made in the 1990s. The 1st year in Score was 90-91. The 1990s was way over produced and people still bring them to cardshows asking if we want to buy them. I always politely decline. Other dealers are not so nice.

#67 Zach6668

Zach6668

FCHL Champion.

• Moderators
  • 48,110 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 01:20 PM

Man, I put all my eggs in the 91/92 Pro Set basket. They were the first set that didn't have a border around the card, like the whole card was the photo, with just a little patch with the team logo and player name. They were innovative, so I collected that whole base set. I think it had like 800 cards or something crazy.They went bankrupt like a year later.
QUOTE (serge @ Tuesday, May 12th, 2009, 7:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
LETS GO PITTSBURGH
QUOTE (Acid_Knight @ Monday, March 10th, 2008, 4:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Zach is right about pretty much everything.

#68 MapleLeafpoker

MapleLeafpoker

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 17,884 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 01:20 PM

View PostBabying, on Friday, November 20th, 2009, 4:03 PM, said:

Arp,You are good. It is actually anything made in the 1990s. The 1st year in Score was 90-91. The 1990s was way over produced and people still bring them to cardshows asking if we want to buy them. I always politely decline. Other dealers are not so nice.
So you won't buy my Al Iafrate "Hard Blaster" card? Or the Kory Kocur "Hot Prospects" card? come on! :club: I recall seeing those a few days ago as I was looking for something. I think I have like 300 of that year, and probably gave away at least that many and more to family in years past. When I get a chance this weekend, I might take a look at what I still have. Mine is the classic tale you must hear from everyone of "My mom threw out all my Gretzky+Lemieux" rookie cards. I recall having a lot of the 80's rookies, ie Yzerman, Sakic, Lemieux......Jimmy Carson!

#69 MapleLeafpoker

MapleLeafpoker

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 17,884 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 01:23 PM

View PostZach6668, on Friday, November 20th, 2009, 4:20 PM, said:

Man, I put all my eggs in the 91/92 Pro Set basket. They were the first set that didn't have a border around the card, like the whole card was the photo, with just a little patch with the team logo and player name. They were innovative, so I collected that whole base set. I think it had like 800 cards or something crazy.They went bankrupt like a year later.
If its the one I'm thinking of, I hated those with a passion. I bought a few packs, hated it, and then pretty much stopped buying cards after that. Every few years or so, I look to buy some at the convenience stores, see $5 a pack, laugh out loud to no one, and walk away. F that.

#70 ajs510

ajs510

Resident Evil

• Members
  • 24,991 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 01:34 PM

View PostMapleLeafpoker, on Friday, November 20th, 2009, 4:23 PM, said:

If its the one I'm thinking of, I hated those with a passion. I bought a few packs, hated it, and then pretty much stopped buying cards after that. Every few years or so, I look to buy some at the convenience stores, see $5 a pack, laugh out loud to no one, and walk away. F that.
I used to buy cards like a madman when I was 13 or so, but I haven't bought a single pack in years and years. Still have all those cards from back in the day though, not that they're actually worth anything. I just keep them around to avoid ever being the guy that has to say "man, if I hadn't gotten rid of my card collection I'd be RICH".

#71 mrdannyg

mrdannyg

Cheese Salesman

• Members
  • 20,266 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 03:21 AM

Gotta be the Pro Set as least valuable. At least that Score Set had the Lindros card worth a few dollars. The Pro Set had that one crazy-rare card, but was otherwise worthless.
Long signatures are really annoying.

#72 Babying

Babying

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 10,459 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 08:12 PM

View Postmrdannyg, on Sunday, November 22nd, 2009, 7:21 AM, said:

Gotta be the Pro Set as least valuable. At least that Score Set had the Lindros card worth a few dollars. The Pro Set had that one crazy-rare card, but was otherwise worthless.
We have a winner. Yes I forgot about those Pro Set cards back in 1990-91. That stuff is just worthless.

#73 Zach6668

Zach6668

FCHL Champion.

• Moderators
  • 48,110 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 12:43 PM

lol, in case anyone needed proof of how worthless Pro-Set is, I got 2 cards in the mail today that I ordered from eBay, nothing special, just some lower end Tyler Kennedy rookies, but to keep the good cards from sliding out of the top loader during mailing, he slipped a 91/92 Pro-Set card into each one. W00t Murray Craven and Pat Verbeek!
LETS GO PITTSBURGH

#74 digitalmonkey

digitalmonkey

Unenjoyable Annoying Retard

• Members
  • 37,751 posts
  • Interests:sports, music, movies, photography
  • Favorite Poker Game:Hi/Lo Chicago

Posted 23 November 2009 - 12:49 PM

FYI...Pro Set cards are now sold by the pound.
Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous.

#75 MapleLeafpoker

MapleLeafpoker

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 17,884 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 01:03 PM

View PostZach6668, on Monday, November 23rd, 2009, 3:43 PM, said:

lol, in case anyone needed proof of how worthless Pro-Set is, I got 2 cards in the mail today that I ordered from eBay, nothing special, just some lower end Tyler Kennedy rookies, but to keep the good cards from sliding out of the top loader during mailing, he slipped a 91/92 Pro-Set card into each one. W00t Murray Craven and Pat Verbeek!
Two Whalers in the same package!?!?!?!?! Your the luckiest guy in the whole world!!!!!Brass Bonanza

#76 troyomac

troyomac

• Members
  • 11,235 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 04:17 PM

I got an Islanders rookie redemption for 09/10 Artifacts today... is that gonna be Tavares 100% or is there a chance of it being someone else?? Other great pulls today include:-Gordie Howe frozen artifacts from 09/10 Artifacts-Mario Lemieux quad swatch from 08/09 Black Diamond-Mark Messier autofacts from 08/09 Artifacts

#77 Babying

Babying

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 10,459 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 08:21 PM

Is it Red212. If it is congrats you got a John Tavares artifacts redemption.

#78 troyomac

troyomac

• Members
  • 11,235 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 09:20 AM

View PostBabying, on Monday, November 23rd, 2009, 9:21 PM, said:

Is it Red212. If it is congrats you got a John Tavares artifacts redemption.
Bink!

#79 digitalmonkey

digitalmonkey

Unenjoyable Annoying Retard

• Members
  • 37,751 posts
  • Interests:sports, music, movies, photography
  • Favorite Poker Game:Hi/Lo Chicago

Posted 24 November 2009 - 07:11 PM

View Posttroyomac, on Tuesday, November 24th, 2009, 12:20 PM, said:

Bink!
How much would u sell it for?
Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous.

#80 Zach6668

Zach6668

FCHL Champion.

• Moderators
  • 48,110 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 07:11 PM

I have a Tavares rookie from Upper Deck... is it worth holding on to, or do you think there's more money in it for selling it right away?
LETS GO PITTSBURGH

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users