87 replies to this topic

#41 dapokerbum

dapokerbum

The American Dream?

• Members
  • 2,350 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:NLHE for now

Posted 22 February 2010 - 09:46 AM

That is still kinda awesome. But yeah you're right, nothing really compares to letting it rip on a long drive. But at least you won't be making putting mistakes when the games begin again ... in 3 months :)Didn't get to play this weekend, but I may try to sneak in a round before work sometime this week.
There was madness in any direction, at any hour…You could strike sparks anywhere. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning…. And that, I think, was the handle-that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn’t need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting-on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave….So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark-that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back.

#42 dapokerbum

dapokerbum

The American Dream?

• Members
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 09:10 AM

Snuck out this morning before work. Didn't quite get the result I was looking for as I shot an 8 over. I am still making a bunch of small mistakes that add up. I did borrow a basket from a friend so I am hoping to at least improve my putting.
There was madness in any direction, at any hour…You could strike sparks anywhere. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning…. And that, I think, was the handle-that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn’t need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting-on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave….So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark-that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back.

#43 FARGOpokerND

FARGOpokerND

11-time National Champions!

• Members
  • 6,163 posts
  • Interests:POKER!
  • Favorite Poker Game:PLO

Posted 24 February 2010 - 10:27 PM

View Postdapokerbum, on Wednesday, February 24th, 2010, 11:10 AM, said:

Snuck out this morning before work. Didn't quite get the result I was looking for as I shot an 8 over. I am still making a bunch of small mistakes that add up. I did borrow a basket from a friend so I am hoping to at least improve my putting.
Are you playing pro scores? (Par 3 pretty much everything)

#44 dapokerbum

dapokerbum

The American Dream?

• Members
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 09:57 AM

View PostFARGOpokerND, on Wednesday, February 24th, 2010, 10:27 PM, said:

Are you playing pro scores? (Par 3 pretty much everything)
Yes. The course I play has only three holes that they can make over 400ft ... with one placement at 450 (but that is rarely used) but even when it is there we still play it as a par 3.There is a course in LA that has a hole that is a Legit par 4 as it is 600ft.

#45 FARGOpokerND

FARGOpokerND

• Members
  • 6,163 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 11:59 AM

Ah that is somewhat short. One of the courses in Fargo, its 18th hole is 552' buried in trees and its a par 3, and I have seen a whole 3 pars on it in my life.Another course has 2 over 450' but both are wide open so par isn't that tough.There are alternate tees on both that I have yet to try (I have no clue where they even are, they only set them up on league night)

#46 dapokerbum

dapokerbum

The American Dream?

• Members
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 12:32 PM

View PostFARGOpokerND, on Thursday, February 25th, 2010, 11:59 AM, said:

Ah that is somewhat short. One of the courses in Fargo, its 18th hole is 552' buried in trees and its a par 3, and I have seen a whole 3 pars on it in my life.Another course has 2 over 450' but both are wide open so par isn't that tough.There are alternate tees on both that I have yet to try (I have no clue where they even are, they only set them up on league night)
That seems on the long end of the spectrum for a par 3, although not out of range. An average player should be able to at least throw 300. I know when I get on one I can reach about 350, but to keep it straight and on line is a different story. I tend to think that any hole that you have to have two Legit drives to get to the hole should be considered a par 4 ... which I guess would draw the line at about 600.Either way that 18th sounds like a beast and if I am ever headed up your way I'll give you a pm so I can find the course and see how well I do!

#47 GWCGWC

GWCGWC

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 14,661 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 10:46 PM

I've only played on courses that scored all holes as par 3's. I thought that was in the accepted national disc federation rules but I'm way too lazy to look it up. There's a hole in OKC that's super long but wide open and a little uphill. I used a roller to get max distance then use a driver to hopefully get close enough to have a long putt for par. This was one of those holes where one over was pretty much a given and double bogeys are more common than anything else.

#48 dapokerbum

dapokerbum

The American Dream?

• Members
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 12:39 PM

View PostGWCGWC, on Saturday, February 27th, 2010, 10:46 PM, said:

I've only played on courses that scored all holes as par 3's. I thought that was in the accepted national disc federation rules but I'm way too lazy to look it up. There's a hole in OKC that's super long but wide open and a little uphill. I used a roller to get max distance then use a driver to hopefully get close enough to have a long putt for par. This was one of those holes where one over was pretty much a given and double bogeys are more common than anything else.
Not sure about that but it depends on how you define this from the PDGA definitions:Par: As determined by the director, the score an expert disc golfer would be expected to make on a given hole. Par means errorless play under ordinary weather conditions, allowing two close range throws to hole-out.Source: http://www.pdga.com/...800-definitions

#49 dapokerbum

dapokerbum

The American Dream?

• Members
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 01:50 PM

It was drizzling down here this weekend, but i went out and played anyway. First time playing in the rain. Not as cool as expected. Hard to really grip it. Didn't really keep score after I was +6 after 8 holes. Going to go before work on wednesday. Hopefully I can throw better!

#50 FARGOpokerND

FARGOpokerND

• Members
  • 6,163 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 04:07 PM

View Postdapokerbum, on Monday, March 8th, 2010, 3:50 PM, said:

It was drizzling down here this weekend, but i went out and played anyway. First time playing in the rain. Not as cool as expected. Hard to really grip it. Didn't really keep score after I was +6 after 8 holes. Going to go before work on wednesday. Hopefully I can throw better!
Can you give a list of courses in the SD area? I will be staying there this Sun-Thurs probably and if my group decides they want to go disc golf, we will be going (we already are planning on going in Vegas the few days prior to SD)

#51 dapokerbum

dapokerbum

The American Dream?

• Members
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 09:38 AM

You looking in San Diego only or willing to drive to LA area?In San Diego we have one main disc golf course and that is Morley Field. This is where I usually play. The only problem is that if you go here it is always crowded ...except in the morning, which is why I usually go before work. It is however the best course in San Diego. The website is morleyfield.com There is also Sun Valley Golf / Disc Golf course. This is a 9 hole pitch and putt that they also putt up some chains on. It is fun, but there are a lot of open shots and it isn't very challenging. You play it twice for $5.I have heard conflicting reports about Emerald Isle golf / Disc Golf course. I have heard they closed the disc portion, but then I was talking to someone this weekend and they said it was still open. This is an 18 hole executive golf course that has baskets up and around the course. It is actually a fun course but mainly because you can get a cart and there is a beer cart that goes around.I have not played this one, but there is a nine hole disc course in San Marcos at Montiel Park. No reviews on this one.That is it for San Diego. LA has a few courses as well. My favorites are La Mirada, Huntington Park, and El Dorado.

#52 FARGOpokerND

FARGOpokerND

• Members
  • 6,163 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 10:30 PM

Thanks a bunch, likely we will stick to the SD area and try and play if we get a chance.

#53 dapokerbum

dapokerbum

The American Dream?

• Members
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 09:12 AM

Well if you do get a chance to play and you can only play once then I would just go to Morley Field. Got up early this morning and shot a +1 ... that is my best score since I started playing again. I actually had it to -4 with four holes to go, but then I went +5 on the closing holes :club: ... oh well. There is always next time.

#54 dapokerbum

dapokerbum

The American Dream?

• Members
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 08:16 AM

Finally got out to play again this morning. Shot a +2. Picked up a Star Starfire 175. the first throw I had with it led to a birdie, so that was a good sign.

#55 FARGOpokerND

FARGOpokerND

• Members
  • 6,163 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 10:55 PM

Went out and played a short course today (only one around here open)Shot 45 holes...played the last 27 at -2I usually skipstep on my delivery (hop twice on left foot before planting on right) but I am trying to learn to do a right left right approach now...it is hard to change.

#56 Fluffdog87

Fluffdog87

Enjoy Life!

• Members
  • 5,860 posts
  • Interests:poker, traveling, disc golfing, football, basketball, and watching sports on television and enjoying life

Posted 29 March 2010 - 02:15 AM

Never saw this thread before. I used to be big into playing disc golf before I hurt my hands and turned to poker. I still go and chill with my friends when they play at the local courses. I was really good as a junior crushing. I taught my 2 buddies everything I know about discing. One reallt good friend got 46th in the 2009 PDGA Amateur Disc Golf World Championships. I go out a ton and still own 2 baskets. Lots of discing stories.http://www.pdga.com/...33853&year=2009http://www.pdga.com/...D=8105#Advancedhttp://www.pdga.com/To find courses where everhttp://www.pdga.com/course_directory
"You see things; and you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say, 'Why not?'"- George Bernard Shaw

#57 dapokerbum

dapokerbum

The American Dream?

• Members
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 08:54 AM

View PostFARGOpokerND, on Sunday, March 28th, 2010, 11:55 PM, said:

Went out and played a short course today (only one around here open)Shot 45 holes...played the last 27 at -2I usually skipstep on my delivery (hop twice on left foot before planting on right) but I am trying to learn to do a right left right approach now...it is hard to change.
I was just trying to figure out what kind of delivery I use. I go right left right and then I skip my left foot towrads my right and then plant on the right foot and throw. If I am going for more accuracy I just do a right left right approach.

View PostFluffdog87, on Monday, March 29th, 2010, 3:15 AM, said:

Never saw this thread before. I used to be big into playing disc golf before I hurt my hands and turned to poker. I still go and chill with my friends when they play at the local courses. I was really good as a junior crushing. I taught my 2 buddies everything I know about discing. One reallt good friend got 46th in the 2009 PDGA Amateur Disc Golf World Championships. I go out a ton and still own 2 baskets. Lots of discing stories.
Let's hear one when you get some time.

#58 Jeepster80125

Jeepster80125

Forum Conspiracy Theory Buster; Dreamcrusher

• Members
  • 6,785 posts
  • Interests:poker

Posted 02 April 2010 - 09:49 AM

Dr. Pauly of http://taopoker.blogspot.com/ fame wrote a review of a disc golf course.WORLDS COLLIDE!
Posted Image
QUOTE (Spademan @ Friday, May 22nd, 2009, 4:24 PM)
We are both being judgmental, the only difference is my judgments are well reasoned, well presented and actually have something to do with reality whereas yours are inane assumption wrapped in a steaming pile of contradiction.

#59 FARGOpokerND

FARGOpokerND

• Members
  • 6,163 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 02:24 AM

I bought a new 20-disc bag to replace my 10-disc bag and bought a Star Boss, Champion Groove, and a FLX Challenger Putter and I am going to spend all day tomorrow throwing...very excited!

#60 dapokerbum

dapokerbum

The American Dream?

• Members
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 03:03 PM

View Postdapokerbum, on Tuesday, February 16th, 2010, 3:57 PM, said:

So I played on Monday. NOT a good day by any means. I think I ended up +10!!!! I had a triple bogey on one hole that was just a disaster and played a few others just terrible. I also lost my brand new Champion Wraith in a tree. I am hoping that it gets windy soon and it will drop out and someone will turn it into the Pro Shop ... but that was super lame. Missed three putts inside 15 feet ... one of those was for birdie. I was really hoping to have an under par round by now. Oh well, I can only hope that I play better next round.
It has been super windy the last two days and guess what ... I just got a call from the Pro Shop saying someone found my Wraith! I am super stoked!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users