FARGOpokerND

11-time National Champions!

• Members
  • 6,163 posts
  • Interests:POKER!
  • Favorite Poker Game:PLO

Posted 29 July 2008 - 02:04 PM

View Postdapokerbum, on Tuesday, July 29th, 2008, 11:17 AM, said:

What disc did you use. For those kind of throws I have been using my Buzzz, which has been awesome.My only hole in one was a 260ft shot that had to go hard left around a few trees with my Orc.
I was using the....Buzz (HiFlex) haha.Buzz=The Nuts for anything 180-220ft

#22 dapokerbum

dapokerbum

The American Dream?

• Members
  • 2,350 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:NLHE for now

Posted 29 July 2008 - 02:08 PM

View PostFARGOpokerND, on Tuesday, July 29th, 2008, 3:04 PM, said:

I was using the....Buzz (HiFlex) haha.Buzz=The Nuts for anything 180-220ft
So true. My friend got one first and I tried a nice straightforward 200yd shot between some trees and hit the chains. So I immediately bought one the next day. Man all this talk about discing ... I might actually have to start playing regularly again. I always carry my disc bag in my truck, just in case I get the urge.
There was madness in any direction, at any hour…You could strike sparks anywhere. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning…. And that, I think, was the handle-that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn’t need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting-on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave….So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark-that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back.

#23 dapokerbum

dapokerbum

The American Dream?

• Members
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 11:43 AM

So I have officially taken up the game again. We are Disc Golfing every saturday now at 7am, so we can get out early and get in 2 rounds. The first couple of times I was shooting 5 - 8 over par, but the last two rounds I had were even par and 1 under. I bought a new champion sidewinder and champion spider to add to my bag. The first throw I had with the spider hit the chains on a short 215 footer, so that was a good way to get it warmed up. I still only have the one Ace to my name, but hopefully now that I am getting my throw back in shape I might just get another one day.Anybody else still playing?
There was madness in any direction, at any hour…You could strike sparks anywhere. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning…. And that, I think, was the handle-that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn’t need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting-on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave….So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark-that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back.

#24 Kuge

Kuge

One false move I'll take ya down...

• Members
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 10:12 PM

I've been playing every thursday now for the past few weeks. I only use a regular frisbee though, GotSprung bought a set and he creamed me this past week. I will definately have to get a putter for sure. I really do like using my frisbee though for long range, my accuracy is supurb but I do have trouble getting enough lift whenever I throw it.
I fucking hate that "I Love College" song. So I made a parody Music Video!!
I Hate College (Click you bastards!)

For you nerds out there, I have a free anime stream site. It's very new but any support will help, we hope to be the anime guru kings in the not-so-distant future!

#25 GWCGWC

GWCGWC

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 14,661 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 10:51 PM

View PostKuge, on Monday, November 16th, 2009, 11:12 PM, said:

I've been playing every thursday now for the past few weeks. I only use a regular frisbee though, GotSprung bought a set and he creamed me this past week. I will definately have to get a putter for sure. I really do like using my frisbee though for long range, my accuracy is supurb but I do have trouble getting enough lift whenever I throw it.
You use an actual Whamo Frisbee? Learn how to grip and throw an actual disc golf disc and you'll be amazed at how much your distance and accuracy improves. Oh, and a putter's only good if you practice a fair amount. Unlike golf, laying up isn't usually the best shot, imo. Meaning, some players like to toss the putter disc intending to drop it into the bottom of the chains and use the basket to catch the disc. I think it's more important to make a straight shot into the middle of the chains and don't worry about leaving yourself 6-12' long if you miss everything. Obviously the course and conditions can have an effect on this approach, but bad habits are hard to break and learning the right way up front will let you improve more quickly. I carried 8 discs in my bag when I played almost daily. These were sufficient for my 5 regular courses.

#26 dapokerbum

dapokerbum

The American Dream?

• Members
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 03:34 PM

I agree with all of this. Especially if you are going to become a disc golf player, you have to have the right tools. Buy yourself a driver, I usually suggest a Valkyrie for newbies, and start learning the proper throw. It is 70% different from a regular frisbee type throw. A lot of disc golf players actually cross over from Ultimate, so having a strong frisbee throw will help ... but you still need to learn the technique for disc. There are plenty of videos and such on you tube to get you started.Going to drive up to Huntington this weekend and try that course as well as La Mirada. Should be a good time.

#27 marryfoxgirl

marryfoxgirl

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Golf
  • Favorite Poker Game:Canada

Posted 18 November 2009 - 10:33 AM

Yes disc golf is a really fun game, and a great way to meet lots of col people. I have played many times, and own a few discs. There is a nice 18 hole course in Grass Valley, CA where I used to live, and the course in SF is awsome also. Glad to hear that other shredders play disc. _______________________________________

#28 dapokerbum

dapokerbum

The American Dream?

• Members
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 01:43 PM

View Postmarryfoxgirl, on Wednesday, November 18th, 2009, 10:33 AM, said:

Yes disc golf is a really fun game, and a great way to meet lots of col people. I have played many times, and own a few discs. There is a nice 18 hole course in Grass Valley, CA where I used to live, and the course in SF is awsome also. Glad to hear that other shredders play disc. _______________________________________
Is it Condon? I've played there a few times and the course is A+

#29 Kuge

Kuge

One false move I'll take ya down...

• Members
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 08:48 PM

View Postdapokerbum, on Tuesday, November 17th, 2009, 3:34 PM, said:

I agree with all of this. Especially if you are going to become a disc golf player, you have to have the right tools. Buy yourself a driver, I usually suggest a Valkyrie for newbies, and start learning the proper throw. It is 70% different from a regular frisbee type throw. A lot of disc golf players actually cross over from Ultimate, so having a strong frisbee throw will help ... but you still need to learn the technique for disc. There are plenty of videos and such on you tube to get you started.Going to drive up to Huntington this weekend and try that course as well as La Mirada. Should be a good time.
Sweet!Do you know how much sets cost (along with bags and whatnot)? And where I can find them? Sprung got his set at Big5 and it seemed like a generic set (about $20 total). Do you think a very basic generic set would be a good way to go to start out? Also I'm looking on ebay for the Valkyrie drivers, they have many different weights...is there anyone that's that best in particular?
I fucking hate that "I Love College" song. So I made a parody Music Video!!
I Hate College (Click you bastards!)

For you nerds out there, I have a free anime stream site. It's very new but any support will help, we hope to be the anime guru kings in the not-so-distant future!

#30 dapokerbum

dapokerbum

The American Dream?

• Members
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 10:26 AM

View PostKuge, on Tuesday, December 1st, 2009, 8:48 PM, said:

Sweet!Do you know how much sets cost (along with bags and whatnot)? And where I can find them? Sprung got his set at Big5 and it seemed like a generic set (about $20 total). Do you think a very basic generic set would be a good way to go to start out? Also I'm looking on ebay for the Valkyrie drivers, they have many different weights...is there anyone that's that best in particular?
I don't know about "sets" as here in San Diego, there are two courses and both of them have a "pro shop" where they have tons of discs for sale as well as bags and anything else you may need. As far as weights it depends on how hard you throw and how windy it is. Generally you want more weight for windier conditions. If I had to recommend I would just go with a 172 - 175. Right now my driver of choice is a 172 Star SL, but before that I had a 170 Champion BEAST.Played four rounds over two days on Thanksgiving and the friday after. Shot a +3, +4, +5 and +2.Haven't quite got back to old form as I used to shoot under par every round at this course. Feeling good about it though and I am starting to get back some old shots and am loving it.

#31 dapokerbum

dapokerbum

The American Dream?

• Members
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 04:38 PM

Played four rounds at four different courses on Sunday in the greater LA area.Shot a +5, +6, +2, and +5My driver of choice has moved back to my Champion Beast. I am hoping to add a Champion Wraith to my bag over the holidays but I need to make sure that no one got it for me first. After that I will give it a good test and see if it will over take the Beast. I was using my Star SL the past three rounds but for some reason on Sunday I couldn't get the shot shape correct the first 4 times I threw it so I went back to the Beast and it performed admirably.

#32 CJHunt

CJHunt

Blah

• Members
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 08:06 AM

Go into DG big this year but will not be going back out until the Spring at this point. -20 and a foot of snow is not conducive to DG. At the peak of this year I was going almost daily and my lowest score was +3. I've been throwing a beat up old Valkyrie on drives but it has gotten to the point that it is so destroyed and taco'd I can't even begin to predict it's flightpath. Will be looking for a new driver and possibly a different mid range when it starts to warm up.

#33 dapokerbum

dapokerbum

The American Dream?

• Members
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 03:38 PM

Wow, so for Christmas I got 6 new discs. I didn't get the Champion Wraith like I wanted but I did add the Star Coyote, Champion Leapard, Discraft XL, KC Pro Aviar, Champion Boss, and a DX Wraith.Thoughts on these discs (I will be using a ten point scale for my scores):Star Coyote - a nice midrange disc that is slightly understable. Score = 5 Champion Leopard - awesome fairway driver that can turn either way. Score = 10Discraft XL - Great driver that will basically stay straight until it lands. Score = 9KC Pro Aviar - was told this was a good putter and they weren't lying. Score = 10Champion Boss - This disc is a little too much for me to handle right now. It has the highest speed rating INNOVA gives out but I don't have the arm to fully give it justice. Score = 3 (but only cause I am too weak to throw it)DX Wraith - I really like the Champion Wraith because it is a great overstable driver, however the DX is an understable driver which took me by surprise. it will be nice for those throws, but I usually prefer sidearm. Score = 6This was based on Two Rounds of playing with these discs. I will be playing another 2 rounds this weekend ... hopefully up in the LA area as that was a good time.

#34 GOCUBSGO

GOCUBSGO

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 1,293 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:NL MTT's

Posted 06 January 2010 - 03:51 PM

View Postdapokerbum, on Wednesday, January 6th, 2010, 5:38 PM, said:

Wow, so for Christmas I got 6 new discs. I didn't get the Champion Wraith like I wanted but I did add the Star Coyote, Champion Leapard, Discraft XL, KC Pro Aviar, Champion Boss, and a DX Wraith.Thoughts on these discs (I will be using a ten point scale for my scores):Star Coyote - a nice midrange disc that is slightly understable. Score = 5 Champion Leopard - awesome fairway driver that can turn either way. Score = 10Discraft XL - Great driver that will basically stay straight until it lands. Score = 9KC Pro Aviar - was told this was a good putter and they weren't lying. Score = 10Champion Boss - This disc is a little too much for me to handle right now. It has the highest speed rating INNOVA gives out but I don't have the arm to fully give it justice. Score = 3 (but only cause I am too weak to throw it)DX Wraith - I really like the Champion Wraith because it is a great overstable driver, however the DX is an understable driver which took me by surprise. it will be nice for those throws, but I usually prefer sidearm. Score = 6This was based on Two Rounds of playing with these discs. I will be playing another 2 rounds this weekend ... hopefully up in the LA area as that was a good time.
I own the Champion Leopard and the Champion Boss. Both very nice discs. Took me awhile with the Boss too, so just keep practicing with it and you'll see improvement.

#35 dapokerbum

dapokerbum

The American Dream?

• Members
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 09:36 AM

Played up in LA this weekend. Played three rounds at two different courses. Shot +4, +5, and +3Wasn't really feeling the Champion Boss, so I let my friend try it out. He liked it better than I did so I let him keep it in his bag for now. Was alternating between the Champion Beast and Discraft XL as my driver of choice during the rounds. I am still loving the Beast as my main driver, but that XL is awesome as well. Has a nice stable flight and just barely fades off at the end.

#36 dapokerbum

dapokerbum

The American Dream?

• Members
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 10:05 AM

Was back to it this weekend after a few weeks of not playing. I finally picked up the Champion Wraith that I have been wanting. Got a 172. It works just I imagined it would and I had it in play for most of the day. On the front nine I was +1, but then I had a few bad holes and ended the day +5. Had a great birdie on the 18th. The basket was about 30 feet away on a small incline and I hit it dead center in the chains. Was super stoked after that shot. Didn't have enough time to shoot another round, but hopefully will get back out there next weekend.

#37 FARGOpokerND

FARGOpokerND

• Members
  • 6,163 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 03:35 AM

I hate you all for being able to throw in the Winter.

#38 dapokerbum

dapokerbum

The American Dream?

• Members
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 02:57 PM

Just set up a course in your house. You know throw down the hall and try to make it into your dresser***So I played on Monday. NOT a good day by any means. I think I ended up +10!!!! I had a triple bogey on one hole that was just a disaster and played a few others just terrible. I also lost my brand new Champion Wraith in a tree. I am hoping that it gets windy soon and it will drop out and someone will turn it into the Pro Shop ... but that was super lame. Missed three putts inside 15 feet ... one of those was for birdie. I was really hoping to have an under par round by now. Oh well, I can only hope that I play better next round. ***this is not really a good idea if you live with your wife/girlfriend as she may throw a fit if you scuff up the wall

#39 FARGOpokerND

FARGOpokerND

• Members
  • 6,163 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 03:39 PM

View Postdapokerbum, on Tuesday, February 16th, 2010, 4:57 PM, said:

Just set up a course in your house. You know throw down the hall and try to make it into your dresser******this is not really a good idea if you live with your wife/girlfriend as she may throw a fit if you scuff up the wall
My roomate owns two baskets...We have one set up in the living room all winter. We live in a pretty spacious apartment and when we set it up in the corner, we have a 25' putt from one side of kitchen and a 35' putt from other side of kitchen.Just the other day I threw about 200 putts and it felt good to throw a lot. We like to play DiscGolf HORSE. Should see some of our trick shots now haha.Just isn't the same as letting them rip for a long drive though.

#40 FARGOpokerND

FARGOpokerND

• Members
  • 6,163 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 04:47 PM

View PostFARGOpokerND, on Wednesday, February 17th, 2010, 5:39 PM, said:

My roomate owns two baskets...We have one set up in the living room all winter. We live in a pretty spacious apartment and when we set it up in the corner, we have a 25' putt from one side of kitchen and a 35' putt from other side of kitchen.Just the other day I threw about 200 putts and it felt good to throw a lot. We like to play DiscGolf HORSE. Should see some of our trick shots now haha.Just isn't the same as letting them rip for a long drive though.
I lied...it is 18' and 25'

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users