Derby Lane Trip Report -- Featuring 5-10nl, 100 Max

The guy whom I share my poker bankroll with had his 30th birthday this evening and for it, wanted to take a trip to the worst place on earth, Derby Lane. The motley crew consisted of me, my young cousin, Ken and everyone's favorite alcoholic redneck, Andy.Andy and I immediately requested 2-5NL, since that's the most reasonable game with a 100 max buy in, but then we saw the motherload...5-10NL.IMG_0178.jpgWe sat down and the first hand, I called three all ins with 67hh (of course). Flop was T45, two hearts, but in the end, QQ > AK > KK > 67hh :club:. I played a few more hands, but started to question whether 5-10NL was winnable.In the end, I felt like the smart play was to move down to 2-5NL. I had one hand where I planned on shoving the BB with AJ, but one player opened and another called and I figured I'd be better off mucking. Some clown that I was getting into it with (within the first ten minutes) made a big to-do about a raise he made, so I mucked QJ in a hand I would've won all-in four-ways on the Q-high flop, LOL. So, 2-5NL. That ended badly when I raised to 28 UTG with two cards and got one call. On the QT9hhh flop, I shoved for 72 and got snap-called by two black fives. I peeled my cards (for the first time) and saw a red J4. I bricked that. Bah! These 2-5 players don't know what they're doing. I can only beat good players! BACK TO 5-10NL!!!At this point, I'm stuck two bills! I buy in again at the 5-10NL game. It's time to grind!Third hand, I'm on the SB (I posted UTG, obviously) with 80 dollars left. The entire universe limps. I shove. They fold like dominoes, including one guy who limped and folded 77 with 50 behind. Heh. That propels me up to 140. Meanwhile, Andy is downing whiskey and shoving whenever it gets limped to him. Optimal strategy.Okay, so next time I'm UTG, I have 140 and peel down at the Absolute Nuts...as in, the nuts on Absolute, not to be mistaken with the absolute nuts (AA), idiot nuts (AT), second idiot nuts (AJ) or internuts (KQ)...a pretty pair of tens. Anyone want to guess the optimal strategy with TT UTG, sitting on 14 blinds? I honestly have no idea. When in doubt, shovel. A guy who was bitching about his horrendous luck snapped with QQ (he should have called with 77 earlier) and his complaining single-handedly willed a pretty ten-ball on the river. He smacked his chips at me, apologized, and then walked away swearing. Good times.At this point, a dude sits next to me and loses 100 every hand. It's pretty fun to watch. I move to sit closer to Andy so we can make fun of people. UTG limps for 10 with 50 total. I limp 33 with my stack of about 250. Guy to my left limps. Dude who keeps losing 100 makes it 20 from the SB. Heh. Everyone calls. Flop is KJ8. SB bets out 30, leaving himself 50 behind. UTG folds to save his last 30. I value-raise to 100. Other clown folds. SB tanks forever and folds. I show Andy threes. Table asks to see since I showed it. I show. Dude gets upset, like I was rubbing it in and goes, "You were ahead anyway! I mean, I bet 30 on a KJ board. I could easily have a K or J there." Andy is laughing, possibly at me value-shoving 33 there, but likely because he knows that he's about to......shove all in after the entire table limps, INCLUDING THE GUY ABOVE WHO LIMPS FOR TEN WITH 40 BEHIND. Andy gets two calls since two limpers were short and obviously weren't folding and then of course the last guy calls. No problem. 89o good on a KQ7 flop.At this point, I'm up some and ready to call it. Of course, I decide to raise to 40 UTG with A4ss. A dude with a decent stack calls. An idiot calls. Flop is gin. 854 with one spade. I check. Big stack bets 60. Other dude folds. I jam it. He mucks. RACK PLEASE.I go cash out and come back to Andy three-outing the dude who lost 100 almost every hand. I convince him to cash out. He does so, orders another whiskey, then sits down next to Ken at 1-2NL. I come home. Yay poker.

I just now see the picture. I love how they take $5 out of every pot. That game must be impossible to beat.
At the Hard Rock in Florida, the 5/10NL 100 max game is actually quite easy to beat.....mainly due to the fact that the players are mostly clueless.