Jump to content


Acidic Advice


  • Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

#1 Acid_Knight

Acid_Knight

    I'm what's left. I'm what's right.

  • Members
  • 9,292 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Las Vegas
  • Favorite Poker Game:You vs Me. Cagematch.

Posted 29 May 2008 - 06:23 AM

I get PMs fairly frequently asking for poker advice (obv brag) in one specific situation or another and I try and take the time to respond to most of them. Some are better than others and it's kind of fun to read the question and be able to gage how good/advanced a player's knowledge is just by the way he phrases his poker questions.That being said, I don't post in a ton of strat threads here anymore and I still like giving strat advice. Maybe this thread will stick and maybe it won't, but I figure that I could open this up to the forums and just start answering some more advanced questions or just laying better groundwork for people. I am not really looking to critique hands here since you can start your own thread for that, but if you have well thoughtout questions of a more general nature, I'd be more than happy to answer them since the general strat forum never gets much action aside from the Goals Thread.So, with that being said, here's the first one:

Quote

Hi Acid,I was wondering about raise-sizing on the flop. I checked the FAQ but couldn't see anything addressing it specifically. I was wondering if you had any advice for me. For example, if somebody is leading in to you and you've decided you'd like to raise for value, is there a general rule of thumb I can use to make sure I am sizing my raises correctly? Raising pot for example? Also, if I am making a similar raise out of position (check raising or 4-betting for example), should I be making it slightly larger?Any advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated.
Hey,The key to making any raise successful is to know how your opponent will react to it and more specifically, getting him to react to it in a way that you want.If you are going to 3bet or 4bet bluff a dry flop, you had better have a damn good idea of what range your opponent raises or 3 bets you with in the first place and also what part of his range he's going to fold if you raise him back. If you don't have a good idea for why you're doing things, then you're just spewing money. It all depends on your style. For most opponents who are playing me, I like to keep checkraises and raises in general as small as possible since I am c/r bluffing way more than I am with a hand where I want action, so the cheaper I can do that, the better for me. What is best for me will not necessarily be best for you though.I think that as a general rule you should always be raising more on draw heavy flops with made hands as well as bluffs, but you should also raise these flops less frequently against tricky aggressive players and more frequently against timid and straightforward players. Also, raising when OOP should always be slightly larger because you're already at a disadvantage and you want to make them pay the maximum if they are going to continue in the pot against you.Some people will lead into you and you'll think that they're weak. Some of those guys will fold to a minraise and others don't want to fold unless you shove on them. Just figure out which people will fold to which raise because there's no sense in raising a guy 4x and overexposing yourself when his donking range basically includes hands that he either wants to stack off with or will fold to a minraise.My raise sizes tend to vary a lot. You really need to look at the stack size of your opponent and how the next street(s) will play out if he flat calls your raise and you're playing an inflated pot. Will you have 1 street to make a play on or is there enough $$ behind to force him to make decisions on two streets? All of these things are things that you need to be looking at before making a play. Generally, my raise sizes vary from a minraise up to about a 4x raise, which is usually about a pot sized raise, depending on my opponents, stacks, image, board texture etc.

#2 Sheiky

Sheiky

    Poker Forum Veteran

  • Members
  • 4,734 posts
  • Location:Liverpool, England
  • Interests:Poker, sports, music
  • Favorite Poker Game:None, everyone hates poker

Posted 29 May 2008 - 07:03 AM

Hi Acid, It's the first hand of the WSOP main event, i'm in the big blind with aces, everyone at the table goes all in, what do i do????

#3 Acid_Knight

Acid_Knight

    I'm what's left. I'm what's right.

  • Members
  • 9,292 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Las Vegas
  • Favorite Poker Game:You vs Me. Cagematch.

Posted 29 May 2008 - 07:08 AM

View PostSheiky, on Thursday, May 29th, 2008, 8:03 AM, said:

Hi Acid, It's the first hand of the WSOP main event, i'm in the big blind with aces, everyone at the table goes all in, what do i do????
I don't play tournaments.

#4 Naismith

Naismith

    Perry Friedman: I was planning on reloaded through Naismith

  • Members
  • 4,556 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:BWTBH
  • Favorite Poker Game:No Limit Crazy Pineapple

Posted 29 May 2008 - 07:08 AM

I guess the "P" in "PM" doesn't stand for "private." :club:
Peace,
Jay



#5 Acid_Knight

Acid_Knight

    I'm what's left. I'm what's right.

  • Members
  • 9,292 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Las Vegas
  • Favorite Poker Game:You vs Me. Cagematch.

Posted 29 May 2008 - 07:09 AM

View PostNaismith, on Thursday, May 29th, 2008, 8:08 AM, said:

I guess the "P" in "PM" doesn't stand for "private." :club:
It does now.

#6 Naismith

Naismith

    Perry Friedman: I was planning on reloaded through Naismith

  • Members
  • 4,556 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:BWTBH
  • Favorite Poker Game:No Limit Crazy Pineapple

Posted 29 May 2008 - 07:13 AM

View PostAcid_Knight, on Thursday, May 29th, 2008, 7:09 AM, said:

It does now.
All joking aside, how about we get a heads up Q&A thread going? There are some good, winning HU players on FCP and Cwik and I'm sure some interesting discussion could be had.Or would every response be, "Depends on the flow of the game?"
Peace,
Jay



#7 Acid_Knight

Acid_Knight

    I'm what's left. I'm what's right.

  • Members
  • 9,292 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Las Vegas
  • Favorite Poker Game:You vs Me. Cagematch.

Posted 29 May 2008 - 07:24 AM

View PostNaismith, on Thursday, May 29th, 2008, 8:13 AM, said:

All joking aside, how about we get a heads up Q&A thread going? There are some good, winning HU players on FCP and Cwik and I'm sure some interesting discussion could be had.Or would every response be, "Depends on the flow of the game?"
I see what you did there :)I think that HU is best discussed in a forum like this as opposed to individual hands. A lot of responses would be "Depends on game flow" but I think we could get some awesome discussions going given all of the MSNL champs we have in this forum.Yesterday, I was playing this guy that I'd played before. He's pretty aggro and he 3 bets a lot and so I'm sure he can 4 bet kind of lightly. It was 2/4 with full stacks and I'd 3bet him quite a bit and several times recently and he'd just folded. Cwik was railing and this hand, I 3bet to 42 and he 4bets to 118 and I instaship a stack on him. Cwik assumes (for some unknown reason) that I have like AK or JJ or something here. I have 78s. I said I just thought it was time for him to 4bet me so I just shoved. He folded.Game flow FTW!

#8 Naismith

Naismith

    Perry Friedman: I was planning on reloaded through Naismith

  • Members
  • 4,556 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:BWTBH
  • Favorite Poker Game:No Limit Crazy Pineapple

Posted 29 May 2008 - 07:27 AM

View PostAcid_Knight, on Thursday, May 29th, 2008, 7:24 AM, said:

I 3bet to 42 and he 4bets to 118 and I instaship a stack on him. Cwik assumes (for some unknown reason) that I have like AK or JJ or something here. I have 78s. I said I just thought it was time for him to 4bet me so I just shoved. He folded.
I'll be more impressed when you do it without a premium hand. ;)This is the depressing part about the style I play. If my opponents 3-bet, I can only 4-bet them with the knowledge that I have no fold equity. It can be a bit monotonous, even though the upside is my variance is a lot friendlier than yours.
Peace,
Jay



#9 tskillz187

tskillz187

    Great Tiger, you're next!

  • Members
  • 6,131 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Brockport/Buffalo, NY

Posted 29 May 2008 - 07:32 AM

I'd appreciate heads up thread to teach me. This is fine too. I'm at a point right now where I don't know what I don't know. It's kind of frustrating, but I'm playing at a level I can crush and have bills to pay so it's tough to build to move up. My progression (which I think will take place when I start to regularly play .5-1 and then hopefully 1-2) is going to be slowed a lot the next few months. I think I am going to have to learn to adapt well with not being the only player that raises in position and 3bets often. Generally when I face an opponent that has me covered and is on my left that plays like this at .25-.5 I just get up. I don't think I adapt well to those players though, I usually keep my opening range the same but 4 bet more frequently. But I find them calling my 4 bets in position and me having a hand like Q10ss OOP in a big pot. What should my strategy be (I run at like 18/15 and am 6-10 tabling usually)?
Naismith (2:56:11 PM): fuckerflakeoutonmystakingnowmakingmillions

#10 Acid_Knight

Acid_Knight

    I'm what's left. I'm what's right.

  • Members
  • 9,292 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Las Vegas
  • Favorite Poker Game:You vs Me. Cagematch.

Posted 29 May 2008 - 07:44 AM

View Posttskillz187, on Thursday, May 29th, 2008, 8:32 AM, said:

I think I am going to have to learn to adapt well with not being the only player that raises in position and 3bets often. Generally when I face an opponent that has me covered and is on my left that plays like this at .25-.5 I just get up. I don't think I adapt well to those players though, I usually keep my opening range the same but 4 bet more frequently. But I find them calling my 4 bets in position and me having a hand like Q10ss OOP in a big pot. What should my strategy be (I run at like 18/15 and am 6-10 tabling usually)?
I mean, it's obvious that they're making a mistake by flatting a 4 bet unless they have AA/KK and are trapping or are sure that you're FOS. The first adjustment is to stop 4betting hands OOP with QTs. If you think they're out of line, call their 3bet and CRAI when you flop a pair/draw/etc. If they're really out of line, then this should be profitable. If they're not really out of line, wtf are you 4betting QTs for anyway?I think that in general, you can just move away from positions at a table that bother you if there are enough games running. This is just another aspect of good game selection. The problem is that as you move up, you will not be able to avoid having any decent players at your table, so you'd better get used to playing with them at lower stakes so you'll be better equipped for it when you move up.I would recommend not 4betting weak hands OOP if they're flatting and consider only 4betting in position with those hands to punish them for 3betting OOP. I would also recommend shoving over their 3 bets (even if it's a large overbet) to see how they react. It will make them reconsider 3betting as frequently if they know that you might just ship it in and shut them out of the pot.There are a lot of little adjustments to make and if you're playing 6-10 tables, playing a bit tighter is one of the easiest adjustments to make.

#11 tskillz187

tskillz187

    Great Tiger, you're next!

  • Members
  • 6,131 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Brockport/Buffalo, NY

Posted 29 May 2008 - 08:02 AM

6 handed table, Absolute lets you buy in for 200bbs, so a lot of the tough regs are full stacks at $100 (.25-.50) I buyin for $50 because I'm more comfy with my 100bb strategy. One limper I'm in CO with AQss, I make it $1.25, button solid TAG with $100 makes it $4.75, folds back to me. I'm positive he is 3 betting me with a wide-ish range, I have shown down QQ to his 55 before I knew how aggro he was. My standard action should be to 4-bet or call OOP? With no reads on villain, if he calls my 4bet should I be in c/f unless I flop big? Should I c-bet/shutdown? These are fairly frequent happenings at my level because of how many tables and because people are 150bb+ deep so often. Right now I'm thinking of one specific villain and I have a feeling this is villain dependent. So do you just try some 4-betting here and see what works against who and then note it? Whenever I play vvv aggro this deep I feel like I'm spewing and am going to be the only one at the table getting stacked with one pair hands.Edit: Shit if you're going to make a thread about how effing great your advice is I'll pick your brain all day!
Naismith (2:56:11 PM): fuckerflakeoutonmystakingnowmakingmillions

#12 Acid_Knight

Acid_Knight

    I'm what's left. I'm what's right.

  • Members
  • 9,292 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Las Vegas
  • Favorite Poker Game:You vs Me. Cagematch.

Posted 29 May 2008 - 08:08 AM

View Posttskillz187, on Thursday, May 29th, 2008, 9:02 AM, said:

6 handed table, Absolute lets you buy in for 200bbs, so a lot of the tough regs are full stacks at $100 (.25-.50) I buyin for $50 because I'm more comfy with my 100bb strategy. One limper I'm in CO with AQss, I make it $1.25, button solid TAG with $100 makes it $4.75, folds back to me. I'm positive he is 3 betting me with a wide-ish range, I have shown down QQ to his 55 before I knew how aggro he was. My standard action should be to 4-bet or call OOP? With no reads on villain, if he calls my 4bet should I be in c/f unless I flop big? Should I c-bet/shutdown? These are fairly frequent happenings at my level because of how many tables and because people are 150bb+ deep so often. Right now I'm thinking of one specific villain and I have a feeling this is villain dependent. So do you just try some 4-betting here and see what works against who and then note it? Whenever I play vvv aggro this deep I feel like I'm spewing and am going to be the only one at the table getting stacked with one pair hands.
Plain and simple, if I have a hand as strong as AQs vs a player who I know is 3betting me lightly and I want him to stop doing that, I'm going to 4bet rather large, like to $14 or $15 or something and just bet/call or shove just about any flop. If he's playing hands weaker than AQ vs you here, he cannot show a profit by calling your bets because he's gonna miss the flop or flop 2nd best too often to make money.If it's 1 specific guy that really bothers you, just never sit with him on your left. Make a point to sit across the table or have direct position on him. If it's a more general theme, then you gotta do something else, but I think that 4bet/call AI is fine in the scenario that you described. Some people would be concerned about extracting value from hands we dominate like KQ or weaker aces, but I think that it sounds like you'd really just like him to stop 3betting so lightly, so I recommend taking your good hands and pounding the living shit outta him when he decides to 3 bet you. Just fold the trashy ones until you establish a dynamic that you can use to your advantage.

#13 tskillz187

tskillz187

    Great Tiger, you're next!

  • Members
  • 6,131 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Brockport/Buffalo, NY

Posted 29 May 2008 - 08:13 AM

Well OOODannyBoy better watch out with all this new ammunition I've got!Thanks, I'm sure I'll ask more questiong regarding very similar topics in the future.
Naismith (2:56:11 PM): fuckerflakeoutonmystakingnowmakingmillions

#14 No_Neck

No_Neck

    this is how i roll

  • Members
  • 11,522 posts
  • Location:New Jersey OBV

Posted 29 May 2008 - 08:18 AM

View Posttskillz187, on Thursday, May 29th, 2008, 12:13 PM, said:

Well OOODannyBoy better watch out with all this new ammunition I've got!
Full Ring FTW!Thanks Lobster where ever you are!

#15 simo_8ball

simo_8ball

    Multipass

  • Members
  • 9,277 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Favorite Poker Game:PLO/NLHE

Posted 29 May 2008 - 08:19 AM

View PostAcid_Knight, on Thursday, May 29th, 2008, 5:08 PM, said:

Plain and simple, if I have a hand as strong as AQs vs a player who I know is 3betting me lightly and I want him to stop doing that, I'm going to 4bet rather large, like to $14 or $15 or something and just bet/call or shove just about any flop. If he's playing hands weaker than AQ vs you here, he cannot show a profit by calling your bets because he's gonna miss the flop or flop 2nd best too often to make money.If it's 1 specific guy that really bothers you, just never sit with him on your left. Make a point to sit across the table or have direct position on him. If it's a more general theme, then you gotta do something else, but I think that 4bet/call AI is fine in the scenario that you described. Some people would be concerned about extracting value from hands we dominate like KQ or weaker aces, but I think that it sounds like you'd really just like him to stop 3betting so lightly, so I recommend taking your good hands and pounding the living shit outta him when he decides to 3 bet you. Just fold the trashy ones until you establish a dynamic that you can use to your advantage.
There's another method, which is to flat call and then check/shove a ton of different flops. It works better with position, but what are your thoughts about that in general?

#16 Acid_Knight

Acid_Knight

    I'm what's left. I'm what's right.

  • Members
  • 9,292 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Las Vegas
  • Favorite Poker Game:You vs Me. Cagematch.

Posted 29 May 2008 - 08:40 AM

View Postsimo_8ball, on Thursday, May 29th, 2008, 9:19 AM, said:

There's another method, which is to flat call and then check/shove a ton of different flops. It works better with position, but what are your thoughts about that in general?
I generally like this method with weaker hands and the other one with hands that don't mind getting it AIPF as much. I definitely think that's a good option as well, moreso with the QTs than AQs. I think he's gotta mix it up either way, but I think it's more important to pound on him preflop so that when he 3bets he's gotta consider that he might get shut out of the pot before ever getting to see a flop.

#17 rdtedm

rdtedm

    2009?

  • Members
  • 2,605 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Colorado
  • Favorite Poker Game:NLHE

Posted 29 May 2008 - 10:19 AM

Acid,1) How many of your decisions are pased on PAHUD/Pokertracker stats when multi or singletabling online cash games? Which programs do you use or recommend for online play?2) I have 88 at a six handed NLHE game. I raise from MP and get called by someone in later position then me. The flop comes AKx, AQx, QJx, KQx, etc etc etc. Do we always c-bet this anyways? If we c-bet and get called, is it a c/f afterwards? Seems pretty standard, but I get in a lot of spots like these.3) I have had a lot more success grinding SNGs from $6-$27 than I ever had with cash games up to 1/2NL. I want to make the transition to cash. Assuming I am properly rolled for .25/.50NL (a game which I was about breakeven at in the past), should I start one level lower? What should I do to prepare for this transition?

#18 Acid_Knight

Acid_Knight

    I'm what's left. I'm what's right.

  • Members
  • 9,292 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Las Vegas
  • Favorite Poker Game:You vs Me. Cagematch.

Posted 29 May 2008 - 10:33 AM

View Postrdtedm, on Thursday, May 29th, 2008, 11:19 AM, said:

Acid,1) How many of your decisions are pased on PAHUD/Pokertracker stats when multi or singletabling online cash games? Which programs do you use or recommend for online play?2) I have 88 at a six handed NLHE game. I raise from MP and get called by someone in later position then me. The flop comes AKx, AQx, QJx, KQx, etc etc etc. Do we always c-bet this anyways? If we c-bet and get called, is it a c/f afterwards? Seems pretty standard, but I get in a lot of spots like these.3) I have had a lot more success grinding SNGs from $6-$27 than I ever had with cash games up to 1/2NL. I want to make the transition to cash. Assuming I am properly rolled for .25/.50NL (a game which I was about breakeven at in the past), should I start one level lower? What should I do to prepare for this transition?
1. In real time, I use PAHUD and Pokertracker. I have a ton of stats on my HUD, but I rarely rely on them much since I play heads up. When playing 4+ tables of 6max, I think that you probably use them a lot more.2. You need to provide info about your opponent. c/f those flops is fine a lot because if you bet, you're turning your hand into a bluff, which is also ok since you'd bet air there sometimes too. Assuming that their range is mostly suited connectors and small to medium pocket pairs and random 2 broadway hands, you should be able to win the flop a decent % of the time, but you need a better read on your opponents before you do anything but fire once and c/f the turn.3. If you're rolled for $50NL, play $25NL for a few weeks, multitabling, to get a feel for the game and the players and what it's like to be running 4 tables. Once you feel comfortable and are winning and making good decisions, go ahead and step up to $50NL if you have the right roll.

#19 rdtedm

rdtedm

    2009?

  • Members
  • 2,605 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Colorado
  • Favorite Poker Game:NLHE

Posted 29 May 2008 - 10:37 AM

Acid,If you and annette had a baby, would it play tournaments or cash?

#20 Acid_Knight

Acid_Knight

    I'm what's left. I'm what's right.

  • Members
  • 9,292 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Las Vegas
  • Favorite Poker Game:You vs Me. Cagematch.

Posted 29 May 2008 - 10:38 AM

View Postrdtedm, on Thursday, May 29th, 2008, 11:37 AM, said:

Acid,If you and annette had a baby, would it play tournaments or cash?
Can't this question at least reference someone that I would actually consider having sex with?




1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users