Pokerstars Update Virus?

I use AVG virus protection and never had a problem updateing PS. Tonight it stops me and says Virus alert Downloader.Swizzor. Is it ok to ignore this alert? Anyone else have trouble? thanks.

I have the same exact problem with it. But when I vaulted it, Stars didn't fully download and I kept getting some error.I restored it and I still couldn't get stars to download the update. Then after awhile yahoo.com wouldn't work (probably something different).So yeah, if you can't get the update, we both are on the same page.

I have the same exact problem with it. But when I vaulted it, Stars didn't fully download and I kept getting some error.I restored it and I still couldn't get stars to download the update. Then after awhile yahoo.com wouldn't work (probably something different).So yeah, if you can't get the update, we both are on the same page.
I uninstalled PS, I will try downloading it again. Did a quick search on the download.swizzor, doesn't look ok. :club:
I uninstalled PS, I will try downloading it again. Did a quick search on the download.swizzor, doesn't look ok. :club:
Yeah, now that I'm looking at it...yikes.Hmm....if you can find a way to get it working, please tell. I'm waiting on stars support to help fix my problem.

A response that somebody got from Poker Stars support posted at 2+2.Thank you for your email regarding the AVG warning about the swizzlorvirus threat.Please note that this is a false alarm introduced by a recent update tothe AVG virus definition file. There is no virus in the PokerStarsupdate, which we have confirmed through the use of alternate scannersfrom McAfee and Symantec.It is perfectly safe to click on the "Ignore" option and accept theupdate from PokerStars. However, should you get an update error, pleasedisable your AVG software in order to launch your PokerStars program.Should you be unable to use the "Ignore" option to complete thePokerStars update, you may launch PokerStars temporarily by skipping theupdate process. To do so:1) Right click on your desktop2) Choose "New -> Shortcut"3) Browse your computer to locate "PokerStars.EXE". It will be accompanied by the familiar red, black and orange icon, andmay not have ".EXE" at the end of it depending on how your computer isset up. It is likely be in one of these directories (folders):C:\Program Files\PokerStars\C:\Program Files\PokerStars.NET\4) Give the shortcut a name, and click "OK".This new shortcut will skip the update process and should allow you tolog on without complaint from AVG. If this fails, you will probably needto disable AVG temporarily in order to run PokerStars.To disable AVG in order to run PokerStars, you need to turn off the"Resident Shield" portion of the program. To do this, open the AVGcontrol center, and in the section where it says "Security Status",right click on "Resident Shield" and choose "Properties". Uncheck thecheckbox for "Turn on AVG Resident Shield protection" and click OK. Youcan now launch PokerStars (and should re-launch Resident Shield as soonas you do so, for maximum virus protection).Please note that either option (bypassing the update, or temporarilydisabling the virus scanner) should only be used temporarily, until AVGcorrects the virus definition file. PokerStars updates are required,and virus protection is too vital to be disabled for any length of time.At the moment we are trying to contact the AVG team at Grisoft asquickly as possible in order to ask them to resolve this issue. Weapologize for the inconvenience this might cause.Please note that this is not an unusual happening. All virus makersoccasionally put out virus definitions that cause false hits, sometimesrather in high profile, such as this recent high profile occurrenceinvolving Adobe:http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08..._false_update/You can see just how common this is by Googling "AVG false alarm":http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q.....amp;btnG=SearchPlease let us know if you need further assistance. Regards,JuanPokerStars Support Team

To disable AVG in order to run PokerStars, you need to turn off the"Resident Shield" portion of the program. To do this, open the AVGcontrol center, and in the section where it says "Security Status",right click on "Resident Shield" and choose "Properties". Uncheck thecheckbox for "Turn on AVG Resident Shield protection" and click OK. Youcan now launch PokerStars (and should re-launch Resident Shield as soonas you do so, for maximum virus protection).
That's all I did for it to work.Thanks Bob!
That's all I did for it to work.Thanks Bob!
won't work for me if I start up resident shield while pokerstars is on the virus alert pops up and shuts down pokerstars. Also everytime I start up PS it updates. Help.