1148 replies to this topic

#41 jeff_536

jeff_536

What?

• Members
  • 30,877 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 12:58 PM

View PostOuch-8s, on Wednesday, December 12th, 2007, 3:56 PM, said:

It's super tempting to just do this for the next year or so for any vista-related posts.Spontaneous shutdowns/reboots are usually heat-related, or power supply. Probably not heat if it happens when you aren't using the computer at all, unless it's over a radiator or something. Altho, vista.Try opening it and pointing a desk fan into it for a day or so, see if it continues. If yes, def not heat.
actually, the cpu is under the desk, very near the heating vent, which has been used more recently cause, well, i live in Canada and it's been fucking cold...thanks for the tip.next time slide the whole thing in.
Into The Fire, chronicling the adventure.

My New Blog

#42 SBriand

SBriand

Viva La Beaver!

• Members
  • 15,097 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 12:59 PM

View Postjeff_536, on Wednesday, December 12th, 2007, 3:56 PM, said:

the reason i'm on the couch watching TV is cause i have my 17 PowerBook G4 on my lap. the other one is my wife's.And now that pokerstars has a mac client, i'll never need another computer.
Exactly. we have 3 macs but I had to buy a PC because some of my law classes require me to have access to a PC and I don't feel like using the computer lab for it. But I will not be running vista anytime soon.
QUOTE (digitalmonkey @ Wednesday, August 18th, 2010, 1:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Steve,

It doesn't matter who you start because you have a horse shoe up your ass so far I'm not really sure how you get through the day. You must be gay.

#43 El Guapo

El Guapo

Like A Boss!

• Members
  • 16,439 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 12:59 PM

Ouch I asked this in the Sick thread but did not get a specific answer.I have 30 gig on my work hardrive (only 40 gig drive), I have a new gateway 160 gig laptop. I want to get these files off the work comp, but I do not necissarily want to put them on the laptop, also want to back them up. What are my best/cheapest options?External HD?Online storage?Online Backup?

#44 Ouch-8s

Ouch-8s

It's not a flying tour group, Jerome

• Members
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 01:04 PM

View PostEl Guapo, on Wednesday, December 12th, 2007, 12:59 PM, said:

Ouch I asked this in the Sick thread but did not get a specific answer.I have 30 gig on my work hardrive (only 40 gig drive), I have a new gateway 160 gig laptop. I want to get these files off the work comp, but I do not necissarily want to put them on the laptop, also want to back them up. What are my best/cheapest options?External HD?Online storage?Online Backup?
online is bad idea IMO, i don't trust other people to keep my stuff safe if i can do it myself.external HD is a fine solution, if it will not be plugged in all the time. if it is, it will wear out, but if you only plug it in when you need it, no problem. remember that just because it's an external drive doesn't make it durable (esp if it uses a 3.5 inch drive), so don't bang it around, etc. also, lets keep those reacharounds coming, people.
I'm retired.

#45 El Guapo

El Guapo

Like A Boss!

• Members
  • 16,439 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 01:13 PM

View PostOuch-8s, on Wednesday, December 12th, 2007, 1:04 PM, said:

online is bad idea IMO, i don't trust other people to keep my stuff safe if i can do it myself.external HD is a fine solution, if it will not be plugged in all the time. if it is, it will wear out, but if you only plug it in when you need it, no problem. remember that just because it's an external drive doesn't make it durable (esp if it uses a 3.5 inch drive), so don't bang it around, etc. also, lets keep those reacharounds coming, people.
Any specific brand you would buy?

#46 LadyGhey

LadyGhey

Poker Forum Groupie

• Members
  • 766 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 01:13 PM

Dear Ouch-8s,Is there any way to program/code my boyfriend so that he doesn't scream "Ohhh, Linus Torvalds! LINUS TORVALDS!" during sex? Is there a patch or codec pack I can install/insert to resolve this issue?Thanks in advance.Yours algorithmically,Lady Ghey
Well done, Mr Krebbs, well done.

#47 Randy Reed

Randy Reed

Words up!

• Members
  • 7,916 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 01:21 PM

View PostOuch-8s, on Wednesday, December 12th, 2007, 12:38 PM, said:

this is a new computer, right? didn't you just get a new computer recently?Right click on My Computer, select properties, hardware, device manager - anything have a yellow exclamation point or a red x on it?do you know if you have on board sound or a separate soundcard? (one way to see is to look at the back, and see where the speakers are plugged in. Are they up near the top where a bunch of other stuff is too, in the "i/o plate" or down lower "expansion slot")Posted ImageIf it's a separate card, it may be lose. Turn off the computer, open it up, and reseat the card in it's slot.If it's built in, it may be disabled in the BIOS (usually press F1 or similar during booting, way before windows starts, to get in here. Look for ON BOARD DEVICES or something similar.)It may be hooped (unlikely) and if so, can be replaced (if necessary) for minimal $$. This probably a software issue though.
Okay found it in device manager. It had a yellow tag by the audio controller. I clicked it and it asked me if I wanted to re-install it. I did but it now says I need a location or a CD. Hmmm, guess I'll look for the CD.
Waiting for the winds of change
To sweep the clouds away
Waiting for the rainbow's end
To cast its gold your way
Countless ways
You pass the days

#48 hblask

hblask

Perpetual slow learner

• Members
  • 9,860 posts
  • Interests:Just deal the cards already

Posted 12 December 2007 - 01:29 PM

View PostSBriand, on Wednesday, December 12th, 2007, 2:52 PM, said:

Buy an AppleŽ

View Postjeff_536, on Wednesday, December 12th, 2007, 2:56 PM, said:

the reason i'm on the couch watching TV is cause i have my 17 PowerBook G4 on my lap. the other one is my wife's.And now that pokerstars has a mac client, i'll never need another computer.
Posted Image
"Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?" -- J. Coulton

#49 Randy Reed

Randy Reed

Words up!

• Members
  • 7,916 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 01:31 PM

Oh beejesus.I found a device manager disc that came with the computor but now my CD-ROM drive won't open. I click it and hear it make an attempt to open, but then nothing. Dear Ouch, am I screwed?
To sweep the clouds away
Countless ways
You pass the days

#50 Ouch-8s

Ouch-8s

• Members
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 01:43 PM

View PostEl Guapo, on Wednesday, December 12th, 2007, 1:13 PM, said:

Any specific brand you would buy?
No, but I currently have a moral objection to Western Digital.

View PostLadyGhey, on Wednesday, December 12th, 2007, 1:13 PM, said:

Dear Ouch-8s,Is there any way to program/code my boyfriend so that he doesn't scream "Ohhh, Linus Torvalds! LINUS TORVALDS!" during sex? Is there a patch or codec pack I can install/insert to resolve this issue?Thanks in advance.Yours algorithmically,Lady Ghey
Your best bet:

View PostOuch-8s, on Wednesday, December 12th, 2007, 1:04 PM, said:

also, lets keep those reacharounds coming, people.

View PostRandy Reed, on Wednesday, December 12th, 2007, 1:21 PM, said:

Okay found it in device manager. It had a yellow tag by the audio controller. I clicked it and it asked me if I wanted to re-install it. I did but it now says I need a location or a CD. Hmmm, guess I'll look for the CD.
yeah, or you can download the latest ones (trying googling what it said next to the yellow tag, or if you know what kind it is/what motherboard its from...), or sometimes, for some reason, you can find the info already on the hard drive. the CD is prolly the easiest though.
I'm retired.

#51 SBriand

SBriand

Viva La Beaver!

• Members
  • 15,097 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 01:45 PM

View PostRandy Reed, on Wednesday, December 12th, 2007, 4:31 PM, said:

Oh beejesus.I found a device manager disc that came with the computor but now my CD-ROM drive won't open. I click it and hear it make an attempt to open, but then nothing. Dear Ouch, am I screwed?
There should be a little hole on the drive. Take a paperclip and poke it and it will open the tray.
Steve,

It doesn't matter who you start because you have a horse shoe up your ass so far I'm not really sure how you get through the day. You must be gay.

#52 Ouch-8s

Ouch-8s

• Members
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 01:46 PM

View PostRandy Reed, on Wednesday, December 12th, 2007, 1:31 PM, said:

turn off the computer. straighten out a paperclip and shove it into the hole in the front of the cd drive. this will manually (begin to) open the tray. remove the disc that is stuck in there and rejoice at having found it again after looking (you thought) everywhere for it.
I'm retired.

#53 Ouch-8s

Ouch-8s

• Members
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 01:46 PM

View PostSBriand, on Wednesday, December 12th, 2007, 1:45 PM, said:

There should be a little hole on the drive. Take a paperclip and poke it and it will open the tray.
get your own thread! all the reacharounds in here are MINE
I'm retired.

#54 Lolli

Lolli

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 4,681 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 01:47 PM

View PostRandy Reed, on Wednesday, December 12th, 2007, 3:31 PM, said:

I call that my beer holder.Heres what you do..Get a screw driver or Ive found a tweezers works well too. Now press the button and when you hear it trying to open, jam the screwdriver or tweezers the gap and pry the sucker open.Youre welcome.

#55 SBriand

SBriand

Viva La Beaver!

• Members
  • 15,097 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 01:48 PM

View PostOuch-8s, on Wednesday, December 12th, 2007, 4:46 PM, said:

get your own thread! all the reacharounds in here are MINE
Sorry, I will make sure to shoot my wad into your face so you get something out of it.
Steve,

#56 hblask

hblask

Perpetual slow learner

• Members
  • 9,860 posts
  • Interests:Just deal the cards already

Posted 12 December 2007 - 01:59 PM

View PostOuch-8s, on Wednesday, December 12th, 2007, 1:02 PM, said:

NTFS? Unless you have a good reason to use FAT32, don't.And then don't worry about defragging, except maybe once a year.Defragging even on FAT32 is a waste of time, usually. Which Windows are you using and how much Memory do you have?
I would add to this, Windows Degrag is relatively useless. It seems to not do much. Go to download.com and search on PerfectDisk. It's free to try for 30 days, and some reasonable amount to purchase. It does a full defrag, including system data if necessary, and does free space consolidation. It also packs rarely used files together, so that you are less likely to get so much fragmentation in the future. You can play with the settings to see which ones give you the best results. If Windows Defrag is a Volkswagen Jetta, PerfectDisk is a Ferrari.
"Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?" -- J. Coulton

#57 SBriand

SBriand

Viva La Beaver!

• Members
  • 15,097 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 02:00 PM

View Posthblask, on Wednesday, December 12th, 2007, 4:59 PM, said:

I would add to this, Windows Degrag is relatively useless. It seems to not do much. Go to download.com and search on PerfectDisk. It's free to try for 30 days, and some reasonable amount to purchase. It does a full defrag, including system data if necessary, and does free space consolidation. It also packs rarely used files together, so that you are less likely to get so much fragmentation in the future. You can play with the settings to see which ones give you the best results. If Windows Defrag is a Volkswagen Jetta, PerfectDisk is a Ferrari.
haha, I think Ouch drives a VW Jetta
Steve,

#58 Ouch-8s

Ouch-8s

• Members
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 02:22 PM

View Posthblask, on Wednesday, December 12th, 2007, 1:59 PM, said:

I don't konw that specific utility but the sentiment is right

View PostSBriand, on Wednesday, December 12th, 2007, 2:00 PM, said:

haha, I think Ouch drives a VW Jetta
yeah ouch!
I'm retired.

#59 Randy Reed

Randy Reed

Words up!

• Members
  • 7,916 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 02:46 PM

Okay couldn't get the drive open but went to Dell and found an audio driver for the computer and it works great! Then I went back and re-read that you guys said to "turn the computer off" before using the paperclip and Lolli's plier method and after a minute of unjamming what I made worse I got it open and found a virus disc from a while back.So, basically, Golly Gee Ouch you're such an awesome amazing genius!here's hoping he'll get caught up in praise and forget about the reach around
To sweep the clouds away
Countless ways
You pass the days

#60 Balloon guy

Balloon guy

Deplorable Lives Matter

• Members
  • 24,371 posts
  • Interests:Cigars, Flying, Golf, Bible
  • Favorite Poker Game:Golf

Posted 12 December 2007 - 03:19 PM

View Posthblask, on Wednesday, December 12th, 2007, 1:29 PM, said:

Posted Image
I almost bought a Lisa a few hundred years ago, but Apple decided to cut the Lisa in half and make the MAC. I lost all respect for them ever since.
I use my cigar smoke as idiot repellent

The government was set to protect man from criminals - and the Constitution was written to protect man from the government. - Ayn Rand

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users