Such A Sick Hand, For Such A 900 Bb Pot

Edit: this was a -400 BB pot.Reads: Villian is a nice guy, an older gentleman. Plays pretty straightforward. I would venture to say that he is in between when you compare a solid player to your basic $1-2 NL live player. He has positional awareness and makes raises in position. My image:Hero has been playing TAG. I haven't shown many bluffs, if any. I do C-bet in heads up and 3 way pots though.My cards are 99Effective stacks: Villian- $450 Hero- $600Preflop: Two limpers, Hero raises to $12, Villian calls on button, everyone folds.Flop: Ah9xKhHero bets $20, Villian calls.Turn: 10xHero bets $45, Villian raises all-in for $400.Ugh. If i called i would still only be down -$150 for my session.I'm not putting villian on a set here. He would have raised the flop i think.I tried studying Villian for a minute. He wouldn't respond when spoken to, as he stayed in the same position leaning on the armrest with one arm extended. I noticed his breathing was calm and he did not seem to have a quick heartbeat or throat pump that some do when they get nervous. Results to follow after discussion please.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think you can put him on any set here, and if you have any respect for him at all then QJ is out. I get it all in here, but these limits are way above anything I'm at.

QJ is definitely in my range if I'm villian. If I think villian is donkish enough to just shove if he makes something like AT here, then I call. Without reads, I probably fold that deep but if he's shown ANY signs of overplaying a hand, I dont' fold. Oh, I think you're 200bbs deep not 400 btw.Mark

It's a huge overshove...if you haven't seen the move before and the guy's a regular in your game I think it's a call.It just seems too scared. I guess if he's sitting on qj there are action killing cards on the river, but that raise isn't condusive to getting paid.It looks more like a9 or ak suddenly waking up b/c a card's come off that gets a lot of hands closer to making a straight. Call and pair the board on the river if he has qj IMO

It's a huge overshove...if you haven't seen the move before and the guy's a regular in your game I think it's a call.It just seems too scared. I guess if he's sitting on qj there are action killing cards on the river, but that raise isn't condusive to getting paid.It looks more like a9 or ak suddenly waking up b/c a card's come off that gets a lot of hands closer to making a straight. Call and pair the board on the river if he has qj IMO
Yes, yes, and yes.Why do I feel like this is a Bad Beat post where the Villain has Big Slick and hits the cooler on the River?

Do the x's make a flush draw at any point?

This is why I call also. I can't laydown a set here.
I tried studying Villian for a minute. He wouldn't respond when spoken to, as he stayed in the same position leaning on the armrest with one arm extended. I noticed his breathing was calm and he did not seem to have a quick heartbeat or throat pump that some do when they get nervous.
Man that sure looks like the gimme my monies pose.But I still can't fold lol
Man that sure looks like the gimme my monies pose.
Thats exactly what i was thinking too. He looked extremely calm, but like a "deer in the headlights" ,motionless, so i was kinda getting mixed signals when it came to his physical tells.Thanks for the responses. I'll post results when i get a bit more feedback.

I reluctantly pushed the 4 stacks of 100 forward after about 3 minutes of thought (which feels like an eternity at the table). I didn't see the cards but Villian said "Don't pair the board" so i know its QJ now as he flips QJ up. I don't know why, but i decided to call at the last minute. I really felt that he would only show up with QJ here, but this was the first time in my very early career of live 1-2 NL where i have been put to the test on an all-in, and i made a bad call. If the stacks were around 100 BB's, i would insta call it and chaulk it up to a cooler. I get up out of my seat and feel sick about the decision, and as soon as i look back towards the table, the dealer peels a 10x off on the river giving me 9's full. Ship the $900 pot. Biggest pot of my life. It didn't stop there though as i stacked Villian again for $400+ with with AA on an AQQ flop when Villian had Q10 or something. The Villian took it so nice though, that i almost bought him a hotel room for the evening at the hotel, but he left quickly after the second beat.

I reluctantly pushed the 4 stacks of 100 forward after about 3 minutes of thought (which feels like an eternity at the table). I didn't see the cards but Villian said "Don't pair the board" so i know its QJ now as he flips QJ up. I don't know why, but i decided to call at the last minute. I really felt that he would only show up with QJ here, but this was the first time in my very early career of live 1-2 NL where i have been put to the test on an all-in, and i made a bad call. If the stacks were around 100 BB's, i would insta call it and chaulk it up to a cooler. I get up out of my seat and feel sick about the decision, and as soon as i look back towards the table, the dealer peels a 10x off on the river giving me 9's full. Ship the $900 pot. Biggest pot of my life. It didn't stop there though as i stacked Villian again for $400+ with with AA on an AQQ flop when Villian had Q10 or something. The Villian took it so nice though, that i almost bought him a hotel room for the evening at the hotel, but he left quickly after the second beat.
Biggest pot I've ever played at 1/2 was for $500. I had Pocket Tens and ran into QJ on a AK10 flop. Unlike you, I can't pair the board when I flop sets, ever. :club:
You're being too results oriented with your thinking. I'm pretty sure you made the correct decision here. I even had a feeling he had Q-J just from your description alone (and the fact that you had to post it puts a lil bias in there), but it's still a good call. You have to understand that a lot of times you willA ) get false tellsor the more likely scenarioB ) you will get an opponent who really does think he's superstrong, but your hand still beats his.This was a good call, don't beat yourself up about it. He should be blaming himself for floating Q-J on that board.

I asked about the flush draw, but I'm not sure I really know what it means.If the villain had players behind him, I think he usually folds the flop with QJ. Being heads-up, he can represent hearts in addition to his actual draw, so I think the gut-shot makes sense. However, if he has Q :club: J :D , it seems that he's overplaying the turn. As a general rule, people overplay their hands on broadway boards. It doesn't help us here, because it's not clear where we fall in the spectrum. It is a reason to play the QJ fast, though. (That is, he might be anticipating the hero will call with AK or AQ, for instance.)The presence of the flush draw motivates the villain to protect his hand against the flush draw, to get value if we're drawing, and (most importantly) to preserve his action if we fear the flush and it hits. So, again, we're seeing a play that's consistent with the nuts.On the other hand, the flush draw gives him something else to hang around the flop for and then some sort of combination that he can semi-bluff the turn with.

Biggest pot I've ever played at 1/2 was for $700. I had Pocket Tens and ran into QJ on a AK10 flop. Unlike you, I can't pair the board when I flop sets, ever. :D
If we're speaking relatively here about our brags, I once won a $700 pot at .50/1. I had a set against the guy's overpair. :club:
If we're speaking relatively here about our brags, I once won a $700 pot at .50/1. I had a set against the guy's overpair. :club:
Lol. Donkstackaments FTW.

I played a 3 way 2500 dollar pot at 1/2 live before and lost. I had KK against JT and 66 on a 962QK board. So sick cause the retard called a 2/3 pot bet on the flop with JT with no flush draw. Then he c/c then turn and open pushed the river for some sick amount.Sorry for the brag or beat post. Not sure which one it is.

ooh, ooh, me too, me too.I won a ~$2600 heads-up pot at 1/2. Board was something like AT62. I have AA. I remember thinking I'm going to puke if this river is a T. Then he shows AK.I was way stuck. I think that pot got me even.

Big cash pots recently...5/10 4-handedRaise JTo on button to $35, SB min-re-raises to $60, I call...Flop KQ3...he bets $130, I call, Turn A...he bets $390, I shove for $1550, he insta-calls with A7o and is drawing dead...$3500 my way5/10 5-handedOL 22 UTG, MP raises to $50, CO calls, I call...Flop 642...I bet $90, MP shoves for $800, I call...he shows T7o and bricks...$1700 pot