A H L Power Rankings Supplement

I have taken scores from AHL game nights and placed them in order. The team(s) with the highest score on the night is awarded a power ranking of '1'. The team(s) with the second highest score is awarded a '2'...and so on. I did this for each game night and then added the power ranking scores for each team. The Power Rankings for October are posted below. The rankings are actually not that different from Daniel's power rankings however I think this is a more accurate view.There were 11 AHL games in October. I have indicated if a team was awarded a power ranking of 1 on a gamenight.1. The Big M's (Oct 10th)2. Greaseballs (Oct 6th, 13th and 20th)T3. Cheap Thieves (Oct 12th and 20th)T3. Screamin' Eagles (Oct 18th)5. Ingmen6. Red Ravens (Oct 5th and 23rd)7. Legend Killers (Oct 27th)8. Swackers (Oct 4th)9. Shoot Loose10. Ghosts of Elvis 11. Dawgs (Oct 25th)12. Rug RatsT13. Canadian GothicT13. Purple Hearts15. Mustangs16. PK Dealers17. Scarborough Smugglers18. Bandits19. Ravag20. Smokin' T-Birds

The rankings are actually not that different from Daniel's power rankings however I think this is a more accurate view.
Ya, DN's assumes that each category (F/D/G) is weighed equally. While it's nice to see the relative ranking of each position, as a GM, I agree your way would be more accurate.

its all interesting however teh Mustangs are not the 15th best team in the league..its closer to 7 or 8...That is with the Serge Rankings.

its all interesting however teh Mustangs are not the 15th best team in the league..its closer to 7 or 8...That is with the Serge Rankings.
It is also not October.Im sure a genious like you knew that.

ok sorry I missed that...Because I won a lot more games in November and I should be higher..even a monkey can be right sometime..carry on

ok sorry I missed that...Because I won a lot more games in November and I should be higher..even a monkey can be right sometime..carry on
Yeah, it only says 'October' in the thread title and twice in the post. I can see how you'd miss it. :club:
Ya, DN's assumes that each category (F/D/G) is weighed equally. While it's nice to see the relative ranking of each position, as a GM, I agree your way would be more accurate.
But that's just not true, all categories aren't weighted equally at all. The forward position is the most important category and that is reflected in both the forward category and the +/- category. Winning on a consistent basis in the AHL is about balance, not just how your team does on a Saturday night. It's on the short game nights where having your d-men pitch in and having solid goaltending come into play.
But that's just not true, all categories aren't weighted equally at all. The forward position is the most important category and that is reflected in both the forward category and the +/- category. Winning on a consistent basis in the AHL is about balance, not just how your team does on a Saturday night. It's on the short game nights where having your d-men pitch in and having solid goaltending come into play.
Very true (I think you are hampered somewhat by how data is collected for the AHL though). IMHO players that score from the bench could possibly influence your total (potential) power for example. Right now I'm trying to figure out if I can generate everyone's starting eleven for every remaining game night and then come up with their expected score... find the average and that's the power ranking.ps: even going including both forwards and +/- there's still a rounding "error" present in the AHL power rankings... instead of summing up each individual rankings for the overall rank how about adding up the forward and defence points and then minus the goals against?
that is what the +/- is
Exactly, but there is a GOOD reason why that doesn't rank teams properly on it's own. If I have six great forwards and four great d-men and one good goalie, they will all mostly play on Saturday nights. If the rest of my team is horrible, I might still score a ton of goals on Saturday, but lose on every other night. So for example, it's better to have the following:Wednesday 2.5Thursday 3.0Saturday 3.5Than:Wednesday 0.5Thursday 2.0Saturday 7.0
Exactly, but there is a GOOD reason why that doesn't rank teams properly on it's own. If I have six great forwards and four great d-men and one good goalie, they will all mostly play on Saturday nights. If the rest of my team is horrible, I might still score a ton of goals on Saturday, but lose on every other night. So for example, it's better to have the following:Wednesday 2.5Thursday 3.0Saturday 3.5Than:Wednesday 0.5Thursday 2.0Saturday 7.0
I lost a game on Saturday because my team is too good....figure that one out

Well looking back it was a big mistake and I should of put in Avery...I should of taken out Afinogenov and maybe Wellwood...tough one