Is It Selfish Of Me...

Ok, I just got a new job, and its a pretty good job. Its with the largest HMO in the country. The pay is not spectacular but not bad, and it has an amazing benefits package (including totally free health care and 30+ paid days off in the first year), and opportunity for very fast advancement if I dont **** up. Anyway, the wife and I have some credit card debt right now and we're pretty much paycheck to paycheck at the moment, but after I'm settled in this job for a few months we should be a lot more comfortable. So, I want this watch and I don't really want to wait. Its right around $1k. Would it be selfish of me to cash it out 1k from my poker BR and buy it right now?The watch is a Movado Series 800...2600020.jpg

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's a pretty bad idea to drop that kind of dough on something with less function than a $20 Casio when you're in debt...but then again, I have more money than I could reasonably spend, and still prefer the Casio. So I'm biased.(It has a calculator, homos.)

I'm not a watch guy, but I would like to congratulate you on bringing Dutch out of hiding. Well done! :club:

i usually like movado watches. that one just doesn't do it for me. it still has that movado sleekness to it but its just too busy. not that you asked for my opinion but i felt like giving it anyway.

NO!NO!STOP RIGHT NOW!!WORTHLESS GAYLORD QUARTZ "FASHION" WATCHFor that same price, you could get a nice, Vintage Omega Speedmaster, a Fortis, a Tutima or any number of watches that are wildly superior! If you really want a Chrono, a Poljot is 10X the watch of that stupid Movado for less money! AND IT ISN'T QUARTZ!Please- do some research. Movados, Gucci- brands like that are just so much garbage. On it's best day, a Movado chrony is nothing more than an overpriced Seiko.

I just don't see the points of watches anymore. Sure, they make you look good, but with everybody having a cell phone, you will never walk into a room and not have somebody know the time. They just need to whip out their phone and you have the time.

scram, he doesn't care. He just wants a watch that looks cool and has name brand recognition.
Exactly. And as it happens, I just happen to have one thats NEVER BEEN WORN, that he can purchase from me! Still even has the price tag attatched! Id sell it for the bargain price of 50% off!!
scram, he doesn't care. He just wants a watch that looks cool and has name brand recognition.
I understand, but that is just such an epic failure of a purchase, considering that a Movado chrony is a $90 watch with a $1000 pricetag.For about the same price, he could have a geniune Breitling Calisto chrony with a mechanical Lemania movement, solid gold accents, etc.4651_12.JPG46fc_12.JPGTHAT is a $1000 timepiece.
I do care, I'm just ignorant when it comes to watches. I've never had a watch that costs more than $50 before and I've never really wanted a nice one until now. I'll do some research. I will admit that something that looks good is important to me, but I do want a quality watch.
I understand, but that is just such an epic failure of a purchase, considering that a Movado chrony is a $90 watch with a $1000 pricetag.For about the same price, he could have a geniune Breitling Calisto chrony with a mechanical Lemania movement, solid gold accents, etc.4651_12.JPG46fc_12.JPGTHAT is a $1000 timepiece.
That is about the ugliest watch I think Ive ever seen.

I can help with this.One thing you have to remember with higher end watches is that ALL of them are overpriced when you buy new.A $10,000 Rolex or Zenith is really only about $5000 worth of watch.The catch on Movados is that they're really no better than a $99 Seiko, yet in a retail setting, they ask obscene prices. There is very, very little value in quartz movements. Yes, some are better than others and they are functionally superior to mechanical movements, but the "value" in a watch lies in its hand-fitted and finely tuned mechanical movement. There are a few examples of extremely high end quartz movements (Audemars Royal Oak quartz, etc) but for the most part, all quartz movements are made by ETA and are common to $50 watches and $500 watches alike. (Very few outfits still make their own proprietary movements- even "high end" watches like Omegas and Panerais use tuned ETA ebauches)Brands like Movado, Gucci, (modern day) Hamilton- all of them make nice, functional watches but don't remotely deserve the prices they bring, given that they aren't a whole lot better than their $39.95 clone. If you want to spend $1K on a watch, you can get in the door with some pretty nice timepieces. If you are willing to go vintage, you can get some truly impressive watches at that pricepoint.New, your options are a bit lower (The $1K mark is where the quality level really seems to break, just like it breaks again at $3K and again at $8K) but there are still some tremendous watches out there for under $1K that you would be proud to pass down to a kid. In 10 years, that Movado will be a $150 watch on ebay, whereas if you buy something like an entry level (or preowned) Tutima, there's a very real chance that it will be worth as much 10 years from now as the day you bought it.

That is about the ugliest watch I think Ive ever seen.
I'm sure your tastes are highly refined when it comes to picking out fine timepieces.Hello-Kitty-Pave-Kitty-Watch_0A4A6EF6.jpg

Correct. Women don't know shit about watches (because watches involve math and engineering)Rings, necklaces, bracelets or other shiny trinkets that just "dangle"- women are co-equal with men as far as knowledge and understanding. Complex watches- no. Never, ever. Ever.

Correct. Women don't know shit about watches (because watches involve math and engineering)Rings, necklaces, bracelets or other shiny trinkets that just "dangle"- women are co-equal with men as far as knowledge and understanding. Complex watches- no. Never, ever. Ever.
I love Scram soooo much.
Correct. Women don't know shit about watches (because they involve math and engineering)
Im an MIT grad and also have a degree in engineering, so I guess you picked the wrong chick to throw that out to.Or, I could totally be lying and have no other argument because math is hard and engineering, well.. nevermind. Im a chick so I have good taste and the watch you posted was ugly. The one I posted was Erik Ryland baller.