Jump to content


Qq Vs A Dry Board


  • Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#81 Andromeda

Andromeda

    Poker Forum Groupie

  • Members
  • 655 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Allston, MA
  • Interests:music production, DJing, poker (duh)
  • Favorite Poker Game:NL Hold'em

Posted 26 October 2007 - 06:46 AM

can we get the results on this hand so this thread can finally die a lonely and quiet death?

#82 Temporary Nuts

Temporary Nuts

    Glub Glub

  • Members
  • 2,423 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:La La Land
  • Interests:Beer
  • Favorite Poker Game:Go Fish

Posted 26 October 2007 - 06:58 AM

View Postmtdesmoines, on Friday, October 26th, 2007, 10:44 AM, said:

It's possible to argue your point without mayhem.
But mayhem causes more bumping of the thread
QUOTE (NoBBiR @ Monday, August 11th, 2008, 7:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If god didn't want that particular law broken, he had no business making those that big.

Climb
Support your underground artists damnit

#83 dapokerbum

dapokerbum

    The American Dream?

  • Members
  • 2,350 posts
  • Location:San Diego
  • Favorite Poker Game:NLHE for now

Posted 26 October 2007 - 08:28 AM

FWIW I actually agree that we should call here. My reason being that we have no read on this villian so why not call his turn bet and see if we can c/c the river to see what he played at us here. This way we can make better plays on said villian the next time a situation like this comes up.side note: i think c/c means check/check, so if it actually means check/call then I am not advocating that as a big river bet will probably get me to fold but another smallish river bet will make me call for the same reason.
There was madness in any direction, at any hour…You could strike sparks anywhere. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning…. And that, I think, was the handle-that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn’t need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting-on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave….So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark-that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back.

#84 Temporary Nuts

Temporary Nuts

    Glub Glub

  • Members
  • 2,423 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:La La Land
  • Interests:Beer
  • Favorite Poker Game:Go Fish

Posted 26 October 2007 - 09:24 AM

View Postdapokerbum, on Friday, October 26th, 2007, 12:28 PM, said:

FWIW I actually agree that we should call here. My reason being that we have no read on this villian so why not call his turn bet and see if we can c/c the river to see what he played at us here. This way we can make better plays on said villian the next time a situation like this comes up.side note: i think c/c means check/check, so if it actually means check/call then I am not advocating that as a big river bet will probably get me to fold but another smallish river bet will make me call for the same reason.
c/c does mean check-call, and is usually reserved for OOP-serious post haha
QUOTE (NoBBiR @ Monday, August 11th, 2008, 7:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If god didn't want that particular law broken, he had no business making those that big.

Climb
Support your underground artists damnit

#85 AimHigher

AimHigher

    Poker Forum Veteran

  • Members
  • 1,722 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 11:34 AM

View PostAndromeda, on Friday, October 26th, 2007, 3:46 PM, said:

can we get the results on this hand so this thread can finally die a lonely and quiet death?
:club: Do ittttttttt

#86 cwik

cwik

    Bully for you.

  • Members
  • 3,606 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Monterey, CA

Posted 26 October 2007 - 11:40 AM

View PostAndromeda, on Friday, October 26th, 2007, 7:46 AM, said:

can we get the results on this hand so this thread can finally die a lonely and quiet death?
Sorry guys, woulda had the results up sooner, but waited 10 minutes of my life watching TempNuts youtube video.As played: I time banked my way down and final convinced myself to shove. Villain called w/ KK, and I missed my 2 outter.

#87 Temporary Nuts

Temporary Nuts

    Glub Glub

  • Members
  • 2,423 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:La La Land
  • Interests:Beer
  • Favorite Poker Game:Go Fish

Posted 26 October 2007 - 11:44 AM

View Postcwik, on Friday, October 26th, 2007, 3:40 PM, said:

Sorry guys, woulda had the results up sooner, but waited 10 minutes of my life watching TempNuts youtube video.
Breakfast anyone?
QUOTE (NoBBiR @ Monday, August 11th, 2008, 7:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If god didn't want that particular law broken, he had no business making those that big.

Climb
Support your underground artists damnit

#88 AimHigher

AimHigher

    Poker Forum Veteran

  • Members
  • 1,722 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 11:45 AM

View Postcwik, on Friday, October 26th, 2007, 8:40 PM, said:

Sorry guys, woulda had the results up sooner, but waited 10 minutes of my life watching TempNuts youtube video.As played: I time banked my way down and final convinced myself to shove. Villain called w/ KK, and I missed my 2 outter.
In retrospect why do you think he took this line?

#89 Acid_Knight

Acid_Knight

    I'm what's left. I'm what's right.

  • Members
  • 9,292 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Las Vegas
  • Favorite Poker Game:You vs Me. Cagematch.

Posted 26 October 2007 - 12:13 PM

View PostAimHigher, on Friday, October 26th, 2007, 12:45 PM, said:

In retrospect why do you think he took this line?
If he 4-bets KK preflop then his hand is very transparent.As for post flop, I am not gonna begin to guess. I mean, although the SB's range was fairly narrow, Cwik's range isn't necessarily as narrow (since he was the aggressor preflop in position) and can include hands like AK/AQ/AJ and TT and stuff.

#90 mtdesmoines

mtdesmoines

    Poker Forum Veteran

  • Members
  • 9,980 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 12:17 PM

View PostAcid_Knight, on Friday, October 26th, 2007, 12:13 PM, said:

If he 4-bets KK preflop then his hand is very transparent.As for post flop, I am not gonna begin to guess. I mean, although the SB's range was fairly narrow, Cwik's range isn't necessarily as narrow (since he was the aggressor preflop in position) and can include hands like AK/AQ/AJ and TT and stuff.
Tricky by villain, yet effective.
Somewhere Jimmy Carter is smiling because he knows that he is no longer the worst President of the modern era

#91 cwik

cwik

    Bully for you.

  • Members
  • 3,606 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Monterey, CA

Posted 26 October 2007 - 01:37 PM

View Postmtdesmoines, on Friday, October 26th, 2007, 1:17 PM, said:

Tricky by villain, yet effective.
Actually, I think the villain donked it up pretty hard. This could have been a much more standard overpair vs overpair. If he just bet the flop, I am probably getting it all in at that point. As played, I almost got away from it and probably should have, loseing almost the minimum with a 3/bet pot (I did lose a bet on the flop, but I am c-betting this about 110% of the time). IMO, if the villain wants to get 'tricky' it is c/r the turn, when I am pot committed. As played he simply gave his hand strength away, and got semi lucky I am not a better player to let this go.

#92 mtdesmoines

mtdesmoines

    Poker Forum Veteran

  • Members
  • 9,980 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 01:44 PM

View Postcwik, on Friday, October 26th, 2007, 1:37 PM, said:

Actually, I think the villain donked it up pretty hard. This could have been a much more standard overpair vs overpair. If he just bet the flop, I am probably getting it all in at that point. As played, I almost got away from it and probably should have, loseing almost the minimum with a 3/bet pot (I did lose a bet on the flop, but I am c-betting this about 110% of the time). IMO, if the villain wants to get 'tricky' it is c/r the turn, when I am pot committed. As played he simply gave his hand strength away, and got semi lucky I am not a better player to let this go.
True, but, I think we saw in the responses on this forum that a TON of people give action on that little $40 turn bet and realize once it's done that they're pretty much committed to villain's push on the river.
Somewhere Jimmy Carter is smiling because he knows that he is no longer the worst President of the modern era

#93 CobaltBlue

CobaltBlue

    The Outlier

  • Members
  • 10,379 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Royal Palm Beach, FL
  • Favorite Poker Game:Hold 'Em, Crazy Pineapple, 2-7 TD

Posted 27 October 2007 - 01:17 AM

So here's my conversation with cwik before he made the thread...cwik: *** HOLE CARDS *** Dealt to cwik1 [Qd Qs] BamYeah raises to $7 cwik1 raises to $24 bigmiket30 folds vlb66 folds clueless56 has 15 seconds left to act clueless56 calls $23 AK4eva folds BamYeah folds *** FLOP *** [3s 4d Jc] clueless56 checks cwik1 has 15 seconds left to act cwik1 bets $38 clueless56 has 15 seconds left to act clueless56 calls $38 *** TURN *** [3s 4d Jc] [9h] clueless56 has 15 seconds left to act clueless56 bets $40 cwik1 ....Cobalt: That's pretty bizarre.Cobalt: Stack sizes?cwik: effective 200cwik: lolCobalt: To start, right?cwik: yeahcwik: I just bought incwik: he has like $300 to startcwik: I have like 10 hands on himCobalt: I mean, I'd almost always say that's a line of a draw.Cobalt: ...but the board's so freaking dry.cwik: yeah and what draw CC a 3bet preflop?Cobalt: I can't imagine what he's got that we can beat.cwik: AJ?Cobalt: Yeah...that's about it.Cobalt: And it's very poor to CC3 that.Cobalt: Sometimes a turned two pair will take that line...though it's hard to figure him for J9.cwik: so, muck?Cobalt: I think it's AA/KK or a set.Cobalt: ...or should be anyway.cwik: seems pretty weak, but yeah, not a lot we can beatCobalt: Yeah...it's going to look super weak unfortunately.Temp, I know it's painful to let overpairs go, but you absolutely have to practice good hand-reading analysis. This is a fairly basic fold. In fact, it's so "trivial" that I didn't think he needed to post it and was boggled when I saw this much discussion resulted.

#94 Zach6668

Zach6668

    FCHL Champion.

  • Moderators
  • 48,133 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Toronto, ON

Posted 27 October 2007 - 01:29 AM

lol, I had a similar convo with him before he posted too...but I said I'm not folding this hand cuz ISANL and you don't fold overpairs in LHE, well, maybe 1/1000000 hands.
QUOTE (serge @ Tuesday, May 12th, 2009, 7:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
LETS GO PITTSBURGH
QUOTE (Acid_Knight @ Monday, March 10th, 2008, 4:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Zach is right about pretty much everything.

#95 Sheiky

Sheiky

    Poker Forum Veteran

  • Members
  • 4,734 posts
  • Location:Liverpool, England
  • Interests:Poker, sports, music
  • Favorite Poker Game:None, everyone hates poker

Posted 27 October 2007 - 05:58 AM

View PostCobaltBlue, on Saturday, October 27th, 2007, 10:17 AM, said:

Temp, I know it's painful to let overpairs go, but you absolutely have to practice good hand-reading analysis. This is a fairly basic fold. In fact, it's so "trivial" that I didn't think he needed to post it and was boggled when I saw this much discussion resulted.
Foliding overpairs is Weak you poker noob.But seriously, it's not that trivial is it? ISAP, but i really wouldn't be confident of what to do in that situation and from the 5 pages this thread has got to it seems like a few other people wouldn't be aswell.

#96 CobaltBlue

CobaltBlue

    The Outlier

  • Members
  • 10,379 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Royal Palm Beach, FL
  • Favorite Poker Game:Hold 'Em, Crazy Pineapple, 2-7 TD

Posted 27 October 2007 - 01:28 PM

View PostSheiky, on Saturday, October 27th, 2007, 8:58 AM, said:

But seriously, it's not that trivial is it? ISAP, but i really wouldn't be confident of what to do in that situation and from the 5 pages this thread has got to it seems like a few other people wouldn't be aswell.
Well, it should be. Looking at the action and the board, it's almost impossible for us to be ahead...and if we're calling the turn, we do have to fold to bets on most rivers. The flop texture is key though. If there was some drawage available on the flop, this becomes much more complex.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users