2009 Stanley Cup Champions

• Moderators
  • 41,797 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:19 AM

Possibly both.
QUOTE (serge @ Tuesday, May 12th, 2009, 7:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
LETS GO PITTSBURGH
QUOTE (Acid_Knight @ Monday, March 10th, 2008, 4:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Zach is right about pretty much everything.

#14882 serge

serge

Leafs nation Grand Poobah

• Members
  • 38,749 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:22 AM

Do you judge a GM on what he has done? Or do you judge a GM on a 30 game catastrophic collapse?
Leafs 2013-2014 Stanley Cup Champs

#14883 InternetExplorer

InternetExplorer

password1

• Members
  • 5,034 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:24 AM

for tkachuk alone, they gave up mikael backlund or whoever else they were taking at 24th in 2007, Phil McRae (33rd 2008), and Brett Sonne. they also sent coburn to philly for zhitnik that same year. really incredible.
QUOTE (Spademan @ Thursday, April 5th, 2012, 2:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The only way to speak "loudly" on the internet is to TYPE IN CAPS. AND I RARELY TYPE IN CAPS.

#14884 Zach6668

Zach6668

• Moderators
  • 41,797 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:33 AM

View Postserge, on Thursday, April 12th, 2012, 11:22 AM, said:

Do you judge a GM on what he has done? Or do you judge a GM on a 30 game catastrophic collapse?
Well, obviously 30 games isn't a big enough sample to be mathematically significant, just like 52 games isn't a big enough sample. And even 82 games isn't.But the reality, is that in 4 seasons, have the Maple Leafs really improved their situation all that much? They added Kessel, who has been great, but at great expense. The farm system is still middle of the pack, and the team is still missing the playoffs, and isn't really showing that much promise the be a lock to make it anytime soon.And like, I dunno, I think Burke is ok, and I find him entertaining (which means absolutely nothing as far as being a good GM goes), but I don't get why he purposefully handicaps himself in this game. He says he's not going to free agency. At all. Ever. Ok, like, I get that you think everyone just gets overpaid as UFAs, but to completely close it off as an option? It's just asinine. He says he's going to improve his team solely through trades. That's all well and good, but it's not exactly the easiest thing ever to do when you're giving up assets to get assets. It's not like you can just fleece every other GM. Burke isn't that good, and most NHL GMs are pretty competent.What are the Leafs primary needs? How can these be upgraded via trade, and where exactly do you have a surplus of talent that you can afford to give up in a trade?Like, you're not going to be trading Mike Zigomanis for a top end center or anything.Honestly, now, I know this is revisionist history here, but honest, what would really have helped the Leafs, would be a couple FREE top end potential players coming out of their last few drafts. Like, if they had someone better than Kadri from that draft. If they held onto their last 2 picks and had Seguin and Hamilton or whoever they'd have drafted.Then Burke can go out and make his trades, go out and make signings, etc, and you're just that much better because you added pieces from the draft.Just seems like a lot more likely way to get better. There are no guarantees your strategy is going to work no matter which way you go about it, so don't sit there and tell me draftees are no sure thing. Nothing is, but a top 3 pick has a lot higher probability of being successful and helpful.Now, Edmonton is an interesting example to bring up here. They're stockpiling these top forward picks. I don't think they needed to stay bad for this long, but it's mostly happened because Tambellini is kinda terrible as well, and failed to shore up the rest of the team. But after getting Hall and RNH, and now probably Yakupov, they'd be wise to trade from a position of strength (young, extremely talented forwards) in order to shore up their biggest weakness, defense. And go from there. Like I said about Pittsburgh, it's more than just drafting the best player available for a few years.
LETS GO PITTSBURGH

#14885 InternetExplorer

InternetExplorer

password1

• Members
  • 5,034 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:15 AM

the leafs make insane money. free agents can be turned into draft picks if you sign them to multiyear deals. this is something the leafs need to be doing, no question at all. yes, bidding against the other 29 teams means you might end up overpaying, but that's not a huge deal when you make leafs money.
QUOTE (Spademan @ Thursday, April 5th, 2012, 2:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The only way to speak "loudly" on the internet is to TYPE IN CAPS. AND I RARELY TYPE IN CAPS.

#14886 Zach6668

Zach6668

• Moderators
  • 41,797 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:20 AM

Burke doesn't do long term deals, front-loaded deals. He has morals.In seriousness, that's another handicap.
LETS GO PITTSBURGH

#14887 digitalmonkey

digitalmonkey

Unenjoyable Annoying Retard

• Members
  • 32,147 posts
  • Interests:sports, music, movies, photography
  • Favorite Poker Game:Hi/Lo Chicago

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:40 AM

The problem with Brian Burke is he is better suited to thrive in an atmosphere like Anaheim but his ego prefers an atmosphere like Toronto.IMO.
"If you have nothing to hide then you have nothing to fear" is a dangerous mindset.
http://falkvinge.net...othing-to-fear/

#14888 ajs510

ajs510

Resident Evil

• Members
  • 24,857 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:06 AM

View PostZach6668, on Thursday, April 12th, 2012, 12:20 PM, said:

Burke doesn't do long term deals, front-loaded deals. He has morals.In seriousness, that's another handicap.
Yeah, I agree with everything you're saying. In the post-lockout salary cap NHL...you can either stand on principle or you can field a winner. You can't really do both.

#14889 digitalmonkey

digitalmonkey

• Members
  • 32,147 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:11 PM

I'm officially starting the Luongo to the Leafs rumour right here.
"If you have nothing to hide then you have nothing to fear" is a dangerous mindset.

#14890 ajs510

ajs510

Resident Evil

• Members
  • 24,857 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:32 PM

View Postdigitalmonkey, on Tuesday, April 24th, 2012, 6:11 PM, said:

I'm officially starting the Luongo to the Leafs rumour right here.
Honestly that makes a lot of sense. I can't even begin to imagine what the Leafs would have to give up though.

#14891 FCP Bob

FCP Bob

Limit Holdem Dinosaur

• Root Admin
  • 19,028 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:38 PM

View Postajs510, on Tuesday, April 24th, 2012, 6:32 PM, said:

Honestly that makes a lot of sense. I can't even begin to imagine what the Leafs would have to give up though.
A bag of pucks ?
Bob

info@fullcontactpoker.com

#14892 ajs510

ajs510

Resident Evil

• Members
  • 24,857 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:14 PM

View PostFCP Bob, on Tuesday, April 24th, 2012, 6:38 PM, said:

A bag of pucks ?
Somehow I think that isn't getting it done. Vancouver isn't against the wall as far as needing to trade him, Schneider is RFA so he isn't going anywhere.

#14893 digitalmonkey

digitalmonkey

• Members
  • 32,147 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:03 PM

Grabovski immediately popped into my head.

#14894 Mercury69

Mercury69

Half man! Half man!

• Members
  • 14,244 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:NLHE

Posted 25 April 2012 - 04:49 AM

Canucks need better defence, don't they?
"We had all the momentum. We were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look west, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark, that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back." —Raoul Duke, Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas

"Those are brave men knocking at the door. Let's go and kill them!" - Tyrion Lannister

#14895 digitalmonkey

digitalmonkey

• Members
  • 32,147 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:03 AM

View PostMercury69, on Wednesday, April 25th, 2012, 7:49 AM, said:

Canucks need better defence, don't they?
1. Alexander Edler 2. Kevin Bieksa 3. Dan Hamhuis 4. Sami Salo 5. Aaron Rome 6. Keith Ballard 7. Andrew Alberts 8. Marc-Andre Gragnani 9. Chris Tanev I think they need need better scoring wingers. Grabovski is listed as a centre but the switch from centre to wing isn't a hard one.

#14896 serge

serge

• Members
  • 38,749 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:44 AM

Luongo to Toronto doesnt make sense on many levels.First of all Burke has been on his soapbox for many years against contracts like the one Luongo has...The Grabovski thing is NOT happening...Luongo would be a salary dump, and no significant asset should go back.If Luongo couldnt handle the pressure of Vancouver(which is what people make you believe) then how is he going to handle Toronto..He is going to Tampa Bay IMO

#14897 digitalmonkey

digitalmonkey

• Members
  • 32,147 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:52 AM

View Postserge, on Wednesday, April 25th, 2012, 8:44 AM, said:

Luongo to Toronto doesnt make sense on many levels.First of all Burke has been on his soapbox for many years against contracts like the one Luongo has...The Grabovski thing is NOT happening...Luongo would be a salary dump, and no significant asset should go back.If Luongo couldnt handle the pressure of Vancouver(which is what people make you believe) then how is he going to handle Toronto..He is going to Tampa Bay IMO
Tampa Bay is definitely an option, but to say Luongo to Toronto doesn't make sense is simply wrong.Trading Rick DiPietro would be a salary dump. Trading Roberto Luongo...not so much.Also, Burke may have nothing to do with this decision.Oh! And Toronto's goaltending sucks.

#14898 mrdannyg

mrdannyg

Shufflin'

• Members
  • 17,665 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:58 AM

I'd like to see Luongo in Tampa Bay, though I doubt he goes anywhere.The Canucks won the President's Trophy, I think it is a big stretch to say they "need" anything. What they "need" is maybe Daniel Sedin to play every game. I guess you could argue that for playoff hockey, they could use the kind of power forward - think Holmstrom, James Neal, Bobby Ryan - that you can send to the net when the opponent's goaltending seems to be stopping everything.
Long signatures are really annoying.

#14899 digitalmonkey

digitalmonkey

• Members
  • 32,147 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:01 AM

View Postmrdannyg, on Wednesday, April 25th, 2012, 8:58 AM, said:

I'd like to see Luongo in Tampa Bay, though I doubt he goes anywhere.The Canucks won the President's Trophy, I think it is a big stretch to say they "need" anything. What they "need" is maybe Daniel Sedin to play every game. I guess you could argue that for playoff hockey, they could use the kind of power forward - think Holmstrom, James Neal, Bobby Ryan - that you can send to the net when the opponent's goaltending seems to be stopping everything.
Ryan Kesler?Rumours are that he had an injured shoulder. With an injured shoulder and a sandy vagina it's no wonder he looked ineffective for the most part.

#14900 serge

serge

• Members
  • 38,749 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:12 AM

View Postdigitalmonkey, on Wednesday, April 25th, 2012, 5:52 AM, said:

Tampa Bay is definitely an option, but to say Luongo to Toronto doesn't make sense is simply wrong.Trading Rick DiPietro would be a salary dump. Trading Roberto Luongo...not so much.Also, Burke may have nothing to do with this decision.Oh! And Toronto's goaltending sucks.
As a Leafs fan, i would LOVE to see Luongo here.But his wife being from Florida, it makes a lot of sense for him to go there.I see him as a reserved guy suited to play in a non hockey market..He is no Bryzgalov.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users