• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#1 bdc30

bdc30

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 9,407 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 12:24 AM

Ok guys - there are some sick tourney guru's here. I want to build a bankroll. Here's what I'm proposing to do. I have about $400 in fulltilt right now. I've been playing plo severely out of my roll for a week or two, and have been lucky so far not to run badly. I want to give sit n' go's a shot for this coming week. I will NOT play outside of what I'm rolled for - nothing I have less than 50 buyins for, so that leaves me with the 2's and 5's pretty much.A few things I would like some input on from the forum areI) What are your thoughts on tourney size - should I play 6-9-18 player ones to start - mix them up, etc?II) What is the best way to track my progress? What do you guys use?III) Do my bankroll conditions sound about right? Should I be sticking to the $2's only, or are the $5's reasonable at this point as well?IV) How many tourneys is a reasonable sample size to know if I can make any money at it? Is the rake (10% I think) too oppressive?And anything else you can think of that might help me out here....Anyone else want to join? We can race to $1k or something like that for fun.

#2 rogerwilco

rogerwilco

poker sucks

• Members
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 12:33 AM

I) whatever you feel most comfortable at/have fun playing imoII) I just use sharkscope at the moment, but that's probably not smart ;-)III) $5s would be alright - 80 buy ins is plentyIV) 10% rake is ok (on Pokerstars it doesn't get below that until the high stakes) - I'm not sure about sample size, you can get an idea about how you're doing after a 100 or so, but I guess you'd have to play thousands for the stats to be significant.

#3 tskillz187

tskillz187

Great Tiger, you're next!

• Members
  • 6,131 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 12:46 AM

View Postbdc30, on Friday, August 17th, 2007, 1:24 AM, said:

I have about $400 in fulltilt right now.A few things I would like some input on from the forum areI) What are your thoughts on tourney size - should I play 6-9-18 player ones to start - mix them up, etc?II) What is the best way to track my progress? What do you guys use?III) Do my bankroll conditions sound about right? Should I be sticking to the $2's only, or are the $5's reasonable at this point as well?IV) How many tourneys is a reasonable sample size to know if I can make any money at it? Is the rake (10% I think) too oppressive?And anything else you can think of that might help me out here....Anyone else want to join? We can race to $1k or something like that for fun.
I would kill myself before I played $2 and $5 sngs. If you can beat $10 and $20 play them now. I'd play 6 seaters. Pple suck at these and they move quickly, so you can get a higher volume.I would race with you but I just doubt that I could stick to $10 and $20, I would probably buy into the nightly 69+6 and $24+2 and $150+13. GG Bankroll management. If you really want to race someone though I would if we side bet it and put crazy strict parameters on it. (IE who could get to 1k in less amount of sngs attempted, not by date).
Naismith (2:56:11 PM): fuckerflakeoutonmystakingnowmakingmillions

#4 bdc30

bdc30

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 9,407 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 12:49 AM

tskills, I actually want to do this the RIGHT way this time. Every other time I've tried something in my poker "career" if you want to call it that, I too have said "GG Bankroll Management". I've been playing $50 plo with $200 that I deposited a week ago. It's stupid. I have no issue putting in the time and trying to grind it out this time.

#5 simo_8ball

simo_8ball

Multipass

• Members
  • 9,277 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:PLO/NLHE

Posted 17 August 2007 - 01:04 AM

Play the $10 9man and 18man SnGs. Really. 35 buyins is plenty at that level IMO. By playing $5 STTs you are unnecessarily sacrificing hourly equity.I think I need a break from PLO, at least for a few days. The beats are starting to get to me. I'll do a challenge with you. What are your conditions? Profit in a certain number of games (500? 300?), or a straight time race to a certain figure? I don't mind.

#6 tskillz187

tskillz187

Great Tiger, you're next!

• Members
  • 6,131 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 01:07 AM

View Postbdc30, on Friday, August 17th, 2007, 1:49 AM, said:

tskills, I actually want to do this the RIGHT way this time. Every other time I've tried something in my poker "career" if you want to call it that, I too have said "GG Bankroll Management". I've been playing $50 plo with $200 that I deposited a week ago. It's stupid. I have no issue putting in the time and trying to grind it out this time.
You have $400. If you are a winning SNG player at $10 and $20 you "won't" go broke. It will be very hard. I'd mix in a combo of those limits, you are certainly rolled for $10, but it obviously doesn't matter what you are rolled for, you have to have the skill.Personally from reading your responses for the past while I can't imagine you not being a winning $10sng player. I'd start there, keep stats and mix in the $20's. It takes a phenomenal amount of discipline to grind out buyins that are much lower than your skill level, something that I am not able to do. If you want to have extra roll like S7S is proposing in his threads then that is awesome for you, it just has never been practical for me and I think it would be hard to go broke playing $10sngs on a $400 roll if you are a winning player at that level.I'd play the $10's if i lost 8 buyins I'd drop to the $5's and rinse and repeat everytime I got to $400.
Naismith (2:56:11 PM): fuckerflakeoutonmystakingnowmakingmillions

#7 bdc30

bdc30

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 9,407 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 01:11 AM

View Postsimo_8ball, on Friday, August 17th, 2007, 1:04 AM, said:

Play the $10 9man and 18man SnGs. Really. 35 buyins is plenty at that level IMO. By playing $5 STTs you are unnecessarily sacrificing hourly equity.I think I need a break from PLO, at least for a few days. The beats are starting to get to me. I'll do a challenge with you. What are your conditions? Profit in a certain number of games (500? 300?), or a straight time race to a certain figure? I don't mind.
Come to gmail, we'll talk. PLO is killing me - I'm playing too tight cuz I know that two or three beats will destroy me.

#8 potatoman

potatoman

Poker Forum Groupie

• Members
  • 954 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 01:43 AM

Don't be in such a huge rush to play bigger limits. If you don't have at least a couple years of experience grinding sngs, start with $5, play 300, and see how you feel, how you're playing etc. If you're kicking ass (ITM - 50, ROI - 20 per cent or more) feel free to move up, to $10 sngs.Play 500 of them. same stats? Move up.Building a roll is a great, but so is becoming a better player. If you're going to be hacking at the sngs for a while, really focus on your game. There's a basic sng strategy, I'm sure you're familiar with it. But after that, it's about finding tiny edges that can turn 3rds into 2nds and 2nds into 1sts.I keep track of every sng I play, and evaluate my play after every 10 I play and crunch the numbers after every 100. I also usually keep track of how I busted out and any hands I misplayed. I play small - worked up from $1 to enough to very comfortable play $2.40 on AP.I mean, it's your roll:) But I would start off small, and work my way up based on my results, not just based on bankroll.

#9 StupidKid

StupidKid

Best Avatar To See EVER.

• Members
  • 2,545 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:Anything shorthanded

Posted 17 August 2007 - 02:11 AM

View Postbdc30, on Friday, August 17th, 2007, 9:24 AM, said:

Ok guys - there are some sick tourney guru's here. I want to build a bankroll. Here's what I'm proposing to do. I have about $400 in fulltilt right now. I've been playing plo severely out of my roll for a week or two, and have been lucky so far not to run badly. I want to give sit n' go's a shot for this coming week. I will NOT play outside of what I'm rolled for - nothing I have less than 50 buyins for, so that leaves me with the 2's and 5's pretty much.A few things I would like some input on from the forum areI) What are your thoughts on tourney size - should I play 6-9-18 player ones to start - mix them up, etc?Like tskillz said 6man sngs are usually vvv soft, but If you are more comfortable with 9man sngs then I would play these.II) What is the best way to track my progress? What do you guys use?Use Cwiks spreadsheet to track sngs IMO. Works welll. It's in 'Poker tools and resources' I think in general strat.III) Do my bankroll conditions sound about right? Should I be sticking to the $2's only, or are the $5's reasonable at this point as well?I'd be playin the $10s at least if I were you, this idea sounds good "I'd play the $10's if i lost 8 buyins I'd drop to the $5's and rinse and repeat everytime I got to $400."IV) How many tourneys is a reasonable sample size to know if I can make any money at it? Is the rake (10% I think) too oppressive?3-500? I'd guess after 300 you'd have a rough idea. I honestly think if you can't make money at the $10 sngs, where it's all essentially maths anyway, then you will struggle to be a winning player at anything.And anything else you can think of that might help me out here....PAHUD, SNGPT, 2+2 STT forum (sorry Zach!)Anyone else want to join? We can race to $1k or something like that for fun.I would have done this like 2 weeks ago but I've just discovered playin cash games seriously and I now hate sngs. Good luck!

#10 simo_8ball

simo_8ball

Multipass

• Members
  • 9,277 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 02:22 AM

Ok, I'm doing a challenge with bdc30.Starting stats (damn those $1k HUs):Posted ImagePosted ImageOk, here's the challenge:250 sitngos of buyin $11+1 or less, be they 2, 6, 9, 18, 45, 90 or 180 player.Total profit at the end marks the winner, judged by Sharkscope results (there's a little bit of trust needed here, but we should be fine). If sharkscope misses a result then that's just tough luck with variance.Winner gets $45 shipped by the loser (payout for 1st in a $10 9man).Deadline is September 30th, although that is relatively flexible (it can shoot into October if necessary). If the 250 havent been played by 17th October (2 months time) then you lose the bet, no excuses, no exceptions. Unless it's a really really good excuse.I think that's about it.

#11 rogerwilco

rogerwilco

poker sucks

• Members
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 02:28 AM

^^^Can I get in on the challenge too?If yes, that would be my starting point:Posted Image

#12 simo_8ball

simo_8ball

Multipass

• Members
  • 9,277 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 02:41 AM

View Postrogerwilco, on Friday, August 17th, 2007, 11:28 AM, said:

Can I get in on the challenge too?
Yeah, no problem. I assume we can trust you to keep the buyins below $12 for your next 250 tourneys?Also, pm me your AIM/MSN, just so we can keep track, etc.There's no need to ship the winnings for someone to hold. Noone is going to welch on $45 I wouldn't have thought.************************************************Challenge is now closed. Just the 3 of us.

#13 bdc30

bdc30

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 9,407 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 02:42 AM

Simo and I have conferred, and yes, you're in - do you have msn or aim??Pm me and simo your sn's if you want. Lets see 3 big roi's a month and a half from now.

#14 simo_8ball

simo_8ball

Multipass

• Members
  • 9,277 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 02:45 AM

I've just added that 17th October is the absolute deadline. 250 by then or you lose $45. I think that's fair. 2 months is a long time.

#15 rogerwilco

rogerwilco

poker sucks

• Members
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 02:46 AM

View Postsimo_8ball, on Friday, August 17th, 2007, 12:41 PM, said:

Yeah, no problem. I assume we can trust you to keep the buyins below $12 for your next 250 tourneys?
Yeah, I have never even played one above $10 buy in. ;-)

Also, pm me your AIM/MSN, just so we can keep track, etc.
I have neither of these installed, but can do that.

#16 simo_8ball

simo_8ball

Multipass

• Members
  • 9,277 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 02:48 AM

BTW, any game is allowed - PLO, LHE, NLHE, Stud, etc. (just to clarify).

#17 StupidKid

StupidKid

Best Avatar To See EVER.

• Members
  • 2,545 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 02:54 AM

Sidebets?

#18 simo_8ball

simo_8ball

Multipass

• Members
  • 9,277 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 03:06 AM

View PostStupidKid, on Friday, August 17th, 2007, 11:54 AM, said:

Sidebets?
Name it.

#19 StupidKid

StupidKid

Best Avatar To See EVER.

• Members
  • 2,545 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 03:15 AM

View Postsimo_8ball, on Friday, August 17th, 2007, 12:06 PM, said:

Name it.
O/U on total profit? If I was bettin I'd probably bet on you to win this bet to be honest....(no offense guys but Simo has a star next to him on sharkscope ZOMG!!)

#20 simo_8ball

simo_8ball

Multipass

• Members
  • 9,277 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 03:34 AM

View PostStupidKid, on Friday, August 17th, 2007, 12:15 PM, said:

O/U on total profit? If I was bettin I'd probably bet on you to win this bet to be honest....(no offense guys but Simo has a star next to him on sharkscope ZOMG!!)
I've never really played sitngos. At least, I've never played any volume that would definitively say I'm particularly profitable. The star is for $5 Stud HU's. It took about 10 net wins to get on the leaderboard and then I figured why not keep going. It was the cheapest way to get a shiny accolade. :club: So yeah, just give me a few bets.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users