2671 replies to this topic

#2661 TheDelta

TheDelta

Poker Forum Regular

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 09:45 AM

View Postalf13, on Wednesday, July 18th, 2007, 7:17 PM, said:

IMO Moneymaker was head and shoulders above him. Do you remember the talent at the final table Moneymaker won his championship in? Do you remember that field coming down the stretch?I can accept Varkonyi being worse...not Moneymaker.
Well I have no idea how Yang would've held against another final table (I think Gus Hansen and Scotty Nguyen would've given him one hell of a ride there), but considering his competition here, he played good IMHO.

#2662 seemorenuts

seemorenuts

Poker Forum Groupie

• Members
  • 565 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:rakefree poker

Posted 18 July 2007 - 10:00 AM

I agree with TheDelta on his perception. Yang's play is more planned than you would at first surmise, it is imperative to throw off your competition, especially if they are skilled. Oversized raises, taking your time, praising the Lord, all three were functional behaviors--exceptionally effective. He took a page from Gold's playbook, and although I have seen neither final tables yet; I am also in the minority camp, as I respect Gold for what he did, albeit with surprise that he wasn't just penalized into obscurity.I just got an email from a buddy (confirmed he wore a loud pink shirt, two rows directly behind Tuan, waving a Canadian flag) whose buddy is buddies with Tuan; they all flew down to LV to rail him when he qualified for the FT.My buddy said Tuan, "HONESTLY didn't catch ANY cards ALL FT long 'except the two big hands' to keep him alive."In light of this, Tuan played a tremendous FT, only to be superseded by Yang if Jerry's cards turn out to be even worse.Then we will all confirm that:Tuan Lam = Class Act, fantastic playerandJerry Yang = Class Act, fantastic playerWow, I now know someone remotely that's won more than I ever will, for a few years... awesome... I smell stakeaments!

Edited by seemorenuts, 18 July 2007 - 12:31 PM.

[

#2663 Andr4w

Andr4w

Poker Forum Regular

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 10:08 AM

View Postbenhoug, on Wednesday, July 18th, 2007, 4:53 PM, said:

So I didn't see the whole final table, but I did watch for 3 or 4 hours. Yeah, he was aggressive, but in the short amount of time I watched he:Tried to double-up the best player at the table w/ A9Raised 10X bb to open potsCalled all-ins w/ top pr/top kickerCalled all-ins w/ KQ, KJ, JT pre-flopIf I didn't know any better I'd say he was trying to lose and the deck just wouldn't let him.I applaud the guy for his humitarian efforts (donating 10% to charity), and his devotion to his family, but at a time when we're trying to prove poker is a game of skill WE DON'T need a guy like this carrying the torch for a year.
I think your being really unfair to the guy, sure he played a little unorthodox with his bet sizes etc but we don't all have to play by the book do we? with the 10x bb raises he may not have wanted a caller, so what? Also if the boot was on the other foot regarding the A9 etc and say Lee Watkinson had made the call with that hand you can be sure everyone here would be saying good call, sick call blah blah. I said it in my earlier posts, any criticism should go to the other players who couldn't adapt to his style and they should have been able to, because he would have paid them off eventually. So i say GG and well played Jerry u deserve it for being the only player to go out there and try and win the thing from the start.

#2664 Painter567

Painter567

• Members
  • 17,885 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 11:28 AM

View Postmase_gotsem, on Wednesday, July 18th, 2007, 3:29 AM, said:

ill give u 100 to 1 at 10 bux
Man.... Sandwedge, hope you took this bet!
Hi

#2665 Painter567

Painter567

• Members
  • 17,885 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 11:36 AM

Hi

#2666 seemorenuts

seemorenuts

Poker Forum Groupie

• Members
  • 565 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 12:14 PM

http://pokerdb.thehe...com/ranking/125I am just floored when I look at this list, even with the knowledge of recent huge prizes, and it's merely the WSOP list, not the all time money list... 8th or 2nd in one bound, wow... my head would explode if that happened to me.I feel lucky to know people who know Tuan, if for no other reason than to be inspired to strive towards the same goals.It puts bragging about one's own accomplishments into another set of standards--no more, "yeah, I just pulled down $200K..."However remote that possibility is, I have to share with you all that it just floors me... and that's what brings the fishies in! :club:
[

#2667 seemorenuts

seemorenuts

Poker Forum Groupie

• Members
  • 565 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 12:47 PM

http://en.wikipedia....Alex_KravchenkoReproduced below because the joke won't last long... (I didn't post it.)Alex Kravchenko (Russian: Александр Кравченко, born April 21, 1971 in Arkhangelsk, USSR) is a professional poker player based in Moscow, Russia. He started playing poker in 1997.[1] In the 2007 World Series of Poker he cashed 6 times including the reaching the final table at the Main Event and the $1,500 Limit Omaha Hi/Lo event where he won a WSOP bracelet.As of 2007, his live tournament winnings exceed $2,416,000.[2] He passed Kirill Gerasimov to became the all-time leading money winner among Russian players at the 2007 World Series of Poker.[3] He is the first Russian Citizen to win a WSOP bracelet.[4]During one particular play at the World Series, Kravchenko's manager angrily approached him at the table, calling him a donkey in Russian. Clearly agitated, Kravchenko lifted his manager by the throat and threw him into the shocked crowd. He then pointed at eventual winner Jerry Yang and said, "I raise for me...FOR ME!"Lol, how long will that paragraph last? I'll have to confirm with my buddy (see the pink shirt in the pic below) but I won't hold my breath on that story. Anyone here see anything strange on the feeds--Edit: which movie is that from again?? I'm on dial up, so I missed all the pacing and action ...http://pokerdb.thehe...amp;ref_id=8078
[

#2668 zimmer4141

zimmer4141

GO BLUE

• Members
  • 15,007 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, Golf

Posted 18 July 2007 - 02:46 PM

View PostNaismith, on Wednesday, July 18th, 2007, 3:15 AM, said:

Did anyone else think that Tuan played just a horrible, horrible final table?
Not really. I think he almost maximized his equity, because if you look at it, other than the A5 hand against Rahme's QQ, Tuan basically folded his way to 2nd place. Ship the free $4 million.
Hail To the Victors Valiant
Hail To the Conquering Heroes
Hail Hail To Michigan
The Leaders and Best

#2669 socalpoker_j

socalpoker_j

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 5,800 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 02:47 PM

View Postseemorenuts, on Wednesday, July 18th, 2007, 1:47 PM, said:

http://en.wikipedia....Alex_KravchenkoReproduced below because the joke won't last long... (I didn't post it.)Alex Kravchenko (Russian: Александр Кравченко, born April 21, 1971 in Arkhangelsk, USSR) is a professional poker player based in Moscow, Russia. He started playing poker in 1997.[1] In the 2007 World Series of Poker he cashed 6 times including the reaching the final table at the Main Event and the $1,500 Limit Omaha Hi/Lo event where he won a WSOP bracelet.As of 2007, his live tournament winnings exceed $2,416,000.[2] He passed Kirill Gerasimov to became the all-time leading money winner among Russian players at the 2007 World Series of Poker.[3] He is the first Russian Citizen to win a WSOP bracelet.[4]During one particular play at the World Series, Kravchenko's manager angrily approached him at the table, calling him a donkey in Russian. Clearly agitated, Kravchenko lifted his manager by the throat and threw him into the shocked crowd. He then pointed at eventual winner Jerry Yang and said, "I raise for me...FOR ME!"Lol, how long will that paragraph last? I'll have to confirm with my buddy (see the pink shirt in the pic below) but I won't hold my breath on that story. Anyone here see anything strange on the feeds--Edit: which movie is that from again?? I'm on dial up, so I missed all the pacing and action ...http://pokerdb.thehe...amp;ref_id=8078
It's from Rocky IV. Drago yo.

#2670 James D

James D

not on twitter

• Members
  • 4,376 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 04:10 PM

So, Full Tilt finally have a world champion.Daniel, you went to the wrong site! You have cursed them!(sw)

#2671 Flushgarden

Flushgarden

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 4,963 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 05:27 PM

All of you people bashing Jerry Yang are not being very thoughtful. Jery Yang didn't get unreasonablly lucky, in fact he had quite a bit of bad luck. He lost when he had his opponent all in with the worst hand more than once. Jerry really didn't make any plays that are indefensable. You play differently with a huge chip lead than you do otherwise. Jerry played his big stack well and if would have been over even sooner if he hadn't gotten unlucky. I honestly admire the way he played and the way he psyched out his opponents.Jerry Yang outplayed everybody at the final table and he deserved to win. I wish him the best of luck in the future.
-Danny

#2672 HijackedAffairs

HijackedAffairs

Poker Forum Nut

• Members
  • 329 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:NLHE

Posted 18 July 2007 - 05:35 PM

View PostFlushgarden, on Wednesday, July 18th, 2007, 6:27 PM, said:

All of you people bashing Jerry Yang are not being very thoughtful. Jery Yang didn't get unreasonablly lucky, in fact he had quite a bit of bad luck. He lost when he had his opponent all in with the worst hand more than once. Jerry really didn't make any plays that are indefensable. You play differently with a huge chip lead than you do otherwise. Jerry played his big stack well and if would have been over even sooner if he hadn't gotten unlucky. I honestly admire the way he played and the way he psyched out his opponents.Jerry Yang outplayed everybody at the final table and he deserved to win. I wish him the best of luck in the future.
Yeah, he outplayed everyone but the Russian. He deserved to win, that said the play at the final table was pretty disappointing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users